Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Silhouette Institute

Plot Ideas / Character Relationships

a part of “The Silhouette Institute”, a fictional universe by AmyGotScared.

An institution on the middle of France, unknown to the rest of the world theses students are being trained to understand and use in their defense their "Special" Powers. (All old members welcome!) (GM'S: AmyGotScared & XShishiox)

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Silhouette Institute”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Plot Ideas / Character Relationships

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:29 pm

I do appreciate that both Todd and Lysander seem to want to befriend Scott so much. However, I don't need a Superlative to step in and try to train him. It wouldn't do any good anyway, since Todd's powers are organic and Scott's are not even from the dimension they live in. The same rules don't apply. Aside from that, Scott doesn't need more trainers. The Kashaxi can psionically link with him through Valor from their home planet of Kasha to train him, and the aspects of Alan and Kaishu will train him physically. With three expert trainers, Todd's just not needed for that purpose.

However, Todd will serve a much more important function in his loyalty and friendship. People like Todd and Lysander will eventually help Scott's heart to shine through, and this may have consequences for others that I can't see yet. Todd will meet incredible resistance if he tries to get Scott to take it easy, but this isn't really Todd's fault. After all, he doesn't know about the impending invasion from the Grymwar that Scott has to be ready for, and Scott won't ever divulge that information to anyone. Scott's presence will mostly be felt by word that he claimed another victory over someone at his rank, and he'll be seen in class, but otherwise, he'll be holed up in the gym or superpower training room.
"]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:52 pm

@ Shi: I'd love to Skype you...Skype just insists you're not you no matter how much I copy pasta your contact info.

@cyan: yeah but the way you described it is way better and actually makes sense

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Nekohina
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XShishioX on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:39 pm

@Grave, I gotcha.

However, just for comparison's sake, so you can see where I'm coming from, allow me to make my point.

You are correct in your previous statement. Valor isn't a biological transformation, Scott's body doesn't become anything different, it's just sheathed in Valor, like Thor's armor, or a Power Ranger suit. While these aren't perfect examples, they help to illustrate my point. Though Todd and Scott's power differ in terms of their source and the precise way in which they are manifested, I do believe them to be of a similar nature. Unlike powers which are directed away from the body, such as pyrokinesis, Todd and Scott's have powers are directly applied to their physical bodies. Their bodies, in a sense, are their power. While there is no external physical object associated with the changes they experience, like the earlier example of a power ranger's morphing device, there is something within their minds that has to click first; a metaphorical switch, so to speak. I imagine the mental processes involved in the activation of their powers would be rather similar. That was really the only point I was trying to make.

That all being said, I can see your point. Why settle for a teacher who can only help you with one small, not-entirely-related aspect of your powers when you can have two that can help you with all of them? I just figured since Scott is much more driven in this iteration of Silhouette that I would make a similar offer as last time, after all, our characters are still quite similar to their predecessors even if their motives for being at Silhouette have changed.

Further, I should hope they become friends. It would be fun to see the interactions they might come up with.

I understand that Scott has a lot of stuff going on in his mind, what with him being the saviour of the world and all that. Though Todd would never actually force Scott to take it easy, as Todd would never make someone do something they don't want to, I imagine he would at least suggest it from time to time. Todd was very similar to Scott in the respect that both of them immediately began pushing themselves upon entering Silhouette. Those years were good for Todd in that he mastered his abilities and became a better person, and not just in his ability to throw a punch. Todd's strength also came in the form of previously non-existent confidence, healthy habits, interpersonal skills, discipline in school, and general zest for life. However, as formative as those years were, they weren't fun for Todd. He learned, after a whole lot of hardship, that fighting your way up the latter doesn't earn you any friends, all it does is put a target on your back. It gets awful lonely up at the top, especially if everyone else wants nothing more than to see you fall. That's why, even though Todd still trains his body and powers diligently, it's no longer his main focus. He's made his goal being strong enough to protect his friends, something he finds very admirable. Though the drive to be strong is still there, it's no longer as all-consuming as it used to be. I imagine, more times than not, that when Todd offers this wisdom to Scott, his only reaction will be to scornfully throw it back in Todd's face, much to Todd's disappointment.

That being said, maybe it won't happen that way. I suppose it remains to be seen. Either way, I look forward to it. :P

@Neko, I just added ya on skype. You live in some silly place in Oregon, right?
Last edited by XShishioX on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Peace. Love. Life. You've only got one run, why waste it?

XShishioX
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Fri Mar 07, 2014 3:54 pm

Well, Valor both is and isn't a covering. Yes, it coats his arm and functions like a weapon, but there's more to it than that. Valor is a life form of its own, albeit one that has to live off of a host; think of it like a benevolent parasite that makes its host stronger and better. Valor was based off of the anime S-Cry-Ed, in which many people gained power from a rift to another dimension. These people were called Alters, and they could psionically link to this dimension to alter matter around them and reconcentrate it into their weapon or form. Valor is almost a mirror image to the Shell Bullet, the arm of Kazuma, one of the main characters of that show.

However, there are substantial differences between even those two. The dimension of Alters had no life forms, and thus, there was was no connection back to this dimension accept through the powers themselves. This is clearly not the case with Scott, whose arm is like Ben 10's Omnitrix, closely tied to the aliens that made it. Also, Alters could summon their power with just a little focus and effort, whereas Scott has to put all of his focus and determination to summon Valor even once. This gets easier for him over time, but it's never quite as easy for him as it was for Kazuma.

Because Valor is a life form of its own, it is tied very closely to the emotions of its host. Whatever its host feels, Valor feels twice over. Just like the bond between a Soul Reaper and his Zanpakto, the weapon and host have to believe in each other to attain maximum efficiency. Scott's power grows over time, but his strongest form is much different from Kazuma's strongest form. The fact that Valor has to resonate with its host is a lot like Soul Eater, too. Sorry to throw out so much, but the complexity of the relationship between Scott and Valor is pretty high.

This was really the reason that I said Todd would not be the best trainer. To make Scott stronger, you have to have intricate knowledge of how Valor works, something only the creators and those they educated would know. Alan's role as next-in-line to be God of Fire gives him access to such knowledge, and Kaishu has achieved complete unity among his three selves, achieving Enlightenment and allowing him to know things like that. I appreciate the offer, though, and am still open to the two being friends.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XShishioX on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:16 pm

@True Grave, Ahh! Much more clear now. Thanks for clarifying! :D

Also, I have edited my previous post somewhat, although this is now moot, as you explanation has informed me that while I am partially right, I also couldn't be more wrong. XP

I've never seen S-Cry-Ed, though I've heard it's rather good, but the Bleach and Ben 10 analogies, at least, were understood. I love those shows. Well, I liked the original Ben 10, the newer ones aren't as good in my opinion. On the other hand, Tite Kubo, the artist and author of Bleach and Zombie Powder, who doesn't even want to be a mangaka, is a genius. Sure parts of it are cliched, but his story lining, character progression, and original universe are all brilliant.

Why we still put up with Naruto I will never understand... :P

XShishioX
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:28 pm

You're welcome.

S-Cry-Ed is awesome. I rewatched the whole series not long ago, and it brought back memories. I liked the second Ben 10 show the best, the one they made just after the original show. It was so long ago that I forget the name. I actually haven't watched much Bleach, I just finished the second season, but I've watched enough to be able to make the comparison.

Do not knock Naruto or Shippuden, please. I love those shows and am even writing a Shippuden fanfic.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XShishioX on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:52 pm

Oops, I'm sorry.

I used to be a fan of naruto myself. I'm still reading the manga, I've just stopped watching the show. My main concern is that It's taking FOREVER. That being said, the same is true of many other shows I like, so I really shouldn't talk.

While I want to see interesting plots and I don't want the good parts to end, I'm not a fan of filler. I understand that the authors can have a really hard time with producing ideas, but I'd almost prefer a break as opposed to crap that doesn't do anything with the story. That's just my opinion though. It's funny, I complain about filler, and yet I love The Bleach manga, half of whose anime arcs were entirely made up by people other than Kubo. Seriously, 3 out of 6 of the arcs are entirely non-canon. I wish I could say the same of the full-bringer arc, alas, that one is real... :P

EDIT: Sorry guys, I'll stop spamming this forum now. :P

XShishioX
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:01 pm

Well, in my experience, anime falls into one of two types. They are either bereft of filler and short, or they are long and filled with filler. I've seen really good short shows with no filler like S-Cry-Ed and Gungrave, and I've seen really good long shows with filler like Bleach and Naruto. Anime runs the gamut. The only long show I have seen that has no filler is Case Closed, a great mystery anime.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CyanSponge on Fri Mar 07, 2014 5:37 pm

Here's the rest of the relationships that I didn't get to in my last post, if anyone wants to PM me you can, or you can just post it here, either way is fine by me

@XShishioX: Just sent you a PM, but I pretty much agree with everything you said.

@Neko: Well I'm glad I actually made sense of it! It was early so I was still groggy.

@True: I would not doubt it if these two just bumped into each other one day and instantly hit it off. The two of them both seem very friendly and Katrina would admire his bravery considering how weak she feels half the time. She might chat his ear off like she does everyone else but that's just a sure way of knowing that she considers him her friend. His confidence and hope would almost make her jealous, but she wouldn't be able to help but feel inspired to be more hopeful just by being around Scott.

@Grim: Okay, I have to agree with what Shi said earlier, Jessie is a serious BAMF. Katrina wouldn't be deterred just by appearances, if the opportunity presented itself she'd try to talk to Jessie. She'd probably be considered annoying, so I'm assuming that Jessie might not like her at first. Kat probably wouldn't be foolish enough to try to spar Jessie, especially considering Kat's power not really ready to be used for fighting, but she would ask her if she could teach her a few moves so she wouldn't be annihilated in every sparring session.

@Heta: Well Donovan wouldn't have to worry about starting the conversation, Kat loves starting conversations and making friends. Though she'd probably try to get him to go sit out in the sun with her and something tells me he wouldn't be a fan of that. He might not want to go into her room too, considering how many plants she has in there it could get to be a real fire hazard. Kat really wouldn't mind him hiding emotions, considering she does the same, if anything she'd understand, and do her best not to pry.

@Ansreth: Katrina would have talked to Lysander the first day he got to the Institute. I'm not sure how long he's been there or if when we start the rp will be his first day, but either way she'll be just as friendly and cheerful as with any of the other students.

@Not That Awesome: Okay so Katrina would really hate lying and being 'fake' around Flynn considering she knows he doesn't like that and she's just such a people pleaser. Being a New Blood she's probably heard the rumors it's doubtful that would stop her. She would have gone and talked to him as if he were any other student.

CyanSponge
Member for 11 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Fri Mar 07, 2014 6:30 pm

Well, if Scott's determination and courage in the face of adversity can be an inspiration to others, then I'm happy.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AmyGotScared on Fri Mar 07, 2014 7:14 pm

Whatever you said with my characters and yours relationships sounds good to me guys! I am not very good and writing up posts lie this although, as I personally find it easier for me to come up with stuff during role play as Atheya just is neutral with anyone, not disliking anyone technically. She just not judgmental at all.

But like I said I really am open to anything, so whatever you guys had in mind is good with me, so don't be shy to ask me anything, or to send me messages about plots with characters blah blah, I dunno. I love hearing from all you. ^^
Where there is no imagination there is no horror. | Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

My honey I know, with the dawn that you will be gone, but tonight you belong to me
Patience and Prudence

http://www.peacefullyreckless.tumblr.com/

AmyGotScared
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saerith on Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:51 pm

~Hello you guys!
So, my character, Spencer, should be up any moment now. I had some problems with her powers as well, but now it should be all good. If anyone wants to check her out and propose some kind of relation or something, I'm up for discussion :)
Inside of us there is a thing with no name. That thing is what we are.

Saerith
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GrimBones66 on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:03 pm

Hey guys! I just wanted to say that I need to do Jessie's personality all over because it sucks ass xD! Anyway that said I won't be able to respond on the relationship thread until tomorrow but I can do pm's! Since I'm on my tablet it's hard to do a post because I rather doo it on the computer so yeah feel free to pm me! ^^ oh and Jessie will still be a badass:3

GrimBones66
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nekohina on Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:14 pm

@Shi: yup Beaverton,Oregon. Though skype hasn't yet heralded the good news of your addition of myself to thine connections. Gonna fiddle with my computer and stuff later to see if i haven't updated something that's causing a load of trouble.

Nekohina
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GrimBones66 on Sat Mar 08, 2014 3:55 pm

@Shi
Well Shi I have to say I can see that totally happening lol I'm A-Okay with that I think it would do Jessie good to have a little brother figure, especially if it's Todd.

@Cyan
I think that would work good, Jessie is always happy to teach some of her moves to new bloods even though she may not show it and act a little distant but when she is in her training mode it's pretty easy to bond with her. If you mess you she would probably laugh but encourage you to keep going and show you the moves over and over until you get it right.She can be pretty playful when she is teaching other students.

Alright then everybody I updated Jessie's personality so feel free to check it out once more! ^^

GrimBones66
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Sat Mar 08, 2014 4:23 pm

I just kind of feel like throwing this out there. I am a huge music person, and love using it to get new ideas. I have several songs I like that fit events in Scott's life, and I will reference them within the scene. I may use one song more than once, and I may have a song for every post, it just kind of depends. I'll post the link to the music, as well. I'm not saying you have to listen to it or like it. I just feel that if you read my post while listening to that song, it might give it even more depth.

True_Grave
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XShishioX on Sun Mar 09, 2014 2:49 am

@Grim, it's funny that you say little brother, because even though Todd is both older, and more experienced than Jessie, part of me sees him acting like a younger brother around her. Maybe it's just because she's taller than him, but I think some of it may have to do with Todd being so goofy on the whole. For some reason I imagine him being just a little more lacsidaisical around her, maybe even pestering Jessie like a younger brother might bother his older sister. I imagine this relationship to be fantastically comical.

It would be really go for both of them to experience such a relationship, one in which Todd isn't the responsible one, and one in which Jessie feels more relaxed but still maintains a position of pseudo-authority. If I think of anything specific later I'll PM you, but for now, I really like where that's going. It would be really funny to see Todd acting like a total buffoon around Jessie. I see her pinching the bridge of her nose and trying her hardest, and onlyjust barely succeeding, to conceal a smile while Todd's making a complete arse of himself. This'll be great.

XShishioX
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AmyGotScared on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:00 pm

Hey guys~

So a plot idea-ish, would anyone like an awkward dream run in with Atheya before school starts? It would really be only for these next two posts, I'll have her pop in in this upcoming one, then leave in the one after for enough reaction time. It could be kind of funny if it was with someone she hadn't really met before, just all of a sudden, "Oh, yeah hi. Sorry, this is actually real."

This would just allow me to get use of this power, and even have a meet up with another character while I am at it. I'm also asking because I am not just going to have her jump through your characters dreams without your permission, haha.

AmyGotScared
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saerith on Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:38 pm

Hey Amy! That sound real cool, and I think it would be interesting if that person was Spencer. I mean, seems like she is one of the newest students of the institute and in need of some guidance, so I think is would be interesting for her to have a superlative student around sometimes. Also it would be nice to see her reaction to this and her first real contact with someone who's also gifted. So yeah, you have permission to jump through Spencer's dream anytime :)

Saerith
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ansreth Maern on Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:32 pm

@Amy Yeah, by all means go ahead and walk in Spencer's dream (I think Spencer's tortured past and her ability would make an encounter with her and Atheya in a dream an interesting one), but while we're on the topic of your character's ability to dream-walk I thought I'd mention one of my ideas I had with our characters due their abilities. Since Lysander often sees visions of significant events in the past, it would be interesting if at some point in the story Atheya witnessed one of them while she was traveling in his dreams. I'd imagine it would be during a time of crisis in the school or the characters (because Lysander doesn't often get these dreams) but I'm not really sure of the specifics.

Ansreth Maern
Member for 10 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!