Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Trying to Broaden My Horizons

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Trying to Broaden My Horizons

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby partially-stars on Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:52 am

I want to change my style of roleplay. They tend to be five teenagers saving the world type stuff. But my sister has noticed this, and I'm starting to become bored. Any tips on how to do this? I'm going to provide a few samples of my writing. It's all from the top of my head, so it should give you an idea of my writing style. Just so you're aware, whatever I'm reading at the time can effect my writing style. I'm reading Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins at the moment, just so you're aware.

Sample No. 1
My wrists were rubbed raw. I hadn't struggled for twenty three hours of the twenty four I had been hanging here. But the guards still kicked me and laughed every time they passed. At least they weren't spitting on me any more. I wondered how long I would hang here. I wondered if death or insanity awaited me first. They hadn't fed me yet, and they refused to let me sleep. Either could await me. Then he came, the sole reason I was here. I thought he was on our side. But evidently not. He had killed Abby and betrayed the rest of us. His face was clean and healthy. He had eaten recently. I hadn't eaten for thirty six hours. My face was scratched and filthy. My spirit should have been broken. But when he leaned in and grinned, I was still able to bare my teeth. "Surely that's no way to treat your superior, Tay?" I tried not to flinch at the use of my nickname. "I wouldn't know. I don't see my superior around here anywhere, Alex." I replied. I didn't see his foot coming towards me. He kicked me with such force my chains rattled. Then he leaned in, and when he spoke, it was with new urgency. "Listen to me, Taylor. I'm trying to get you out of here. I'm so sorry about your treatment. Just... Be awake in twelve hours. I'll break you out. I'll have food. I'm so, so sorry." He then leaned away. I was in so much shock, I didn't hear the comment he made. Was he on my side or not?

Sample No. 2
I caught someone's eye across the crowded street. I grinned and they gave me a thumbs up. We were positioned outside a broadcasting radio van, waiting for the signal. This had been my best idea ever, even if I did say so myself. And the the song finished on the radio. "Okay folks, we have a request from an anonymous listener!" The music started. That was our signal. I stepped out of my shop doorway and began doing manic air guitar. All the way up and down the street, random people did as well. We made our way into the middle of the street and everyone formed a group, doing air guitar and headbanging. Loads of people were filming us. Even the people on the radio were fliming us. Our plan was to disperse as the song finished, but the crowd cheering and clapping stopped us. The radio people managed to drag me and my friend Josh into their van. "And here we have two of the people that started that amazing flash mob!" After a fairly long interview, we were allowed go. We were looking for the others in a music shop when we heard gunshots. "We are taking this store hostage! Everybody drop to the ground and freeze! Anyone who refuses to co-operate will be punished!" We heard this over the store's PA and instantly dropped to the ground. I caught Josh's eye. This was going to be a day to remember.

I've got something darker and something a little lighter. Everything completely off the top of my head, I can assure you!
those who do not believe in magic will never find it.

nominate a universe for universe of the month!
new to RPG or looking to help people who are? check out asphodel!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

partially-stars
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 15 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Greeter Concierge

Re: Trying to Broaden My Horizons

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarifa on Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:55 pm

I hardly ever find a writer I like that is not published. You I acknowledge I loved the first post. Second could be edited a bit. Your style is simple and to the point needing littlest editing. Mine is more of a flow of poetic words that rise to a point till the climax than dies down gradually to the end and I use a lot of description very important if you are ever in a rp fight. I can help you if you wish it so.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sarifa
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Trying to Broaden My Horizons

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kurokiku on Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:51 pm

Well, in terms of general style shifting, I thoroughly recommend reading works in the style you'd like to shift to. If you want to write better fantasy, read fantasy. It sounds simple, but you can actually make it a very active process. Look at the level of detail the authors use and where they choose to use it. Examine the balance of "showing" and "telling" in the written work, and feel free to note places where you think the author could have done better. As yourself why certain details stick with you, and why other ones are jarring and discordant to you. Look for patterns in what you like and what you don't. Study characterization and dialogue, and ask yourself how you can apply general principles without copy-pasting characters and phrases (not that I think you would).

The general point is, there's no instant solution for changing the way you write. In a sense, you have to retrain yourself, the way you use words, the way you string together your sentences. The best way to do that is to figure out what you like and then practice applying it as often as possible. If you want to write something other than "five teenagers save the world," join something different and create a character who isn't a teenager, then apply the above. It's not exactly simple, but it should keep you from being bored! Think of it as a more conscious version of your already-present tendency to write like whatever you happen to be reading at the time.

If you'd like more specifics, feel free to post or send me alternate questions, and I'll do what I can.

-Kuro
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Kurokiku
Administrator
Member for 14 years
Beta Tester Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Completionist Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Lifegiver Person of Interest

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!