Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Twilight Vs. The Last Airbender

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Twilight or The Last Airbender?

Twilight
9%
The Last Airbender
61%
Umm... I'm watching both of course! Duh!
9%
Wouldn't be caught dead at either... Uck!
20%

Total votes : 44

Twilight Vs. The Last Airbender

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:29 am

At first I was just going to ask everyone’s thoughts on the July 1st release of The Last Airbender, but I thought this would be a more debatable topic. Twilight has sold thousands of books, and between the movie and the literature, it's made millions - maybe billion! The Last Airbender was by far one of the most successful American animes while aired on Nickelodeon and a possible upcoming franchise. Both are competing to come out at number one during the July 4th weekend and are only a day apart in their release. Between merchandising and promotion, there is no fighting between them because we've seen both of these titles flashed everywhere; from the Internet to the Super Bowl and over a dozen T.V. Spots all over television. The real question to ask now is: Who is going to win?

I think this will be one of the most interesting summers ever. Will Twilight appeal to girls and The Last Airbender guys? Or will The Last Airbender be left in the dust while Twilight becomes the biggest "have to see" movie of the summer (let's hope not).

Personally, I love The Last Airbender and despise Twilight with all my being - but hey, that's just MY opinion. Unfortunately Twilight is such a big phenomenon and already has a good foothold throughout the world as a movie. So, I'm afraid The Last Airbender might not pass the 60 million mark for opening weekend. :(

MY VOTE: THE LAST AIRBENDER ALL THE WAY!

Let's face it. Aang beats a stupid ass vampire - Edward Cullen - any day of the week. And the best thing is, Aang doesn’t glow in the sun.

Avatar State > Sparkling Vampires

And when it’s come to a battle of who has more brains, Katara will always trump Bella.

Also, I'd take a crazy boomerang throwing teen over fangs any day.

Uncle Iroh wrote:“Listen my young grasshoppers... you must stake the bloodsucking bastards and come see MY MOVIE! Pick The Last Airbender, it’s more fun!”

~ Maestro ~

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Re: Twilight Vs. The Last Airbender

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:18 am

Eh, well, I'm a fan of both, honestly... :] I don't know if I'll see "The Last Airbender" the day it's released(I'm only going to watch Eclipse on it's release date because someone was kind enough to invite me), but I do plan on watching the movie at a theater near me :D

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Litria Death
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gen on Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:18 am

I myself have always been more attracted to the elements. Hence why they've always been so prevalent in my writing. So my vote goes toward Avatar. However..

I have always enjoyed vampires and werewolves, from Anne Rice to White Wolf. Not to mention that both the mythos of vampirism and lycanthropy as well as Gaia have deep roots in history. So they are both classic themes.

That being said.. Fuck Twatlight. Those books and these movies murdered the theme. It's a tweeny movie bananza.. bullshit. Ok, I'm trying not to go into a string of obscenities. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that this movie/book combo has caused their names to become popular for babies. I mean explain that shit to your kid in 15 years. lol

Anyway.. yeah.. Avatar is the bomb. Uncle Iroh ftw.

Gen
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:03 pm

This is pretty 'duh' to me. Twilight is inferior as a cinematic composition and as a piece of writing. The Twilight fad will pass soon, and I can't wait until it does. Avatar: The Last Airbender was an ingenious animated series. And while I am not thrilled that M. Night is who took on the project (at ALL, I hate him), the previews don't look like he f'd it up too much. You will definitely catch me at The Last Airbender, no questions asked. You wouldn't catch me dead in a theater for Twilight if it was the last movie on earth to watch, I'd rather start eating my fingers and toes.
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Tue Jun 29, 2010 12:26 pm

I did like the animated series; somehow it made me feel like it was truly thought out and had a good backbone to support it, whilst still able to come up with funny little random bits(like, the chapter where a few of the characters got a piece to themselves).

But, in Twilight's defense, it wasn't like Avatar, where there were-what?-twenty writers coming together to craft it into a fine, fun television program. Twilight was started when a woman awoke from a dream and wanted to figure out what happened by creating the ending herself-and, I hope none of you can say that it's stupid because I find that a majority of RPers on here would be that into writing to want to finish such a thing as intriguing as a dream pulled from your subconscious. (And, yes, I know I spelled that wrong. :P)

But, still, Avatar, in a class of "Which Had More Thought Put Into It", would ultimately win, hands down. :] And, what's to boot, it's anime, giving it bonus points. :D

Litria Death
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kagerou on Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:39 pm

Correction on Avatar IN MY OPINION: I really don't think Avatar is an anime, and you will never catch me dead watching it, unless I'm actually dead and my corpse is starting at a TV with it on. :P No offense to you guys who do think it's an anime, however. In my opinion AGAIN, it's just drawn anime style, plus I've seen people draw anime WAAAYYY better than that.

And I hate Twilight. -.- Why would the sparkle? It's BLEH so...
And another thing. Why do they have to be MADE-VAMPIRES? Made vampires fall to Level E and get killed by Soul Reapers...waiitt.....no never mind. Vampire Hunters, yeah, that sounds better. And born Vampires usually have powers, Aristocrats do anyway. It's not by chance, really. At least, I don't think so.

And Litra, would you agree with me if I said Edward Cullen only wishes he was as sexy as Edward Elric? Hmmm?
Hey, that's a post!

Kagerou
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:43 am

Personally I love both and I consider Avatar anime because of how it was written and animated. Not all anime has to come from Japan. I was very impressed that America finally got the concept right. I mean just because something is a cartoon doesn't mean the themes have to be for kids. Previous attempt have been totally for kids and ridiculous and not very well drawn either. At first I thought Avatar was the same but as I watched it, it had the same general feel and themes that my fave anime's had. I was very impressed and look forward to the live action movie.

As to Eclipse I love everything having to do with vampires and some people rag it cause it lacks the sensuality that other vampire stories do. I felt the sensuality but yes it is more tempered but I don't think everything has to be so blatantly sexual I mean it is exciting and fun and romantic so it gets a plus in my book. Don't forget she is morman, as am I so the "sex" and lust and all that aren't slammed in your face like "True Blood" which I refuse to watch. I don't think you need to constantly throw sex and such in a show just to sell it. Shouldn't the story and characters be more important or just as important? Well that is another topic.

The point is I think they each have their own followers and will probably be pretty close in popularity but I have a feeling based on the almost fanatical following Eclipse will probably win.
Worlds without end visualised, sketched, and written. From my mind and imagination to yours.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:55 am

BloodIce17 wrote:Correction on Avatar IN MY OPINION: I really don't think Avatar is an anime, and you will never catch me dead watching it, unless I'm actually dead and my corpse is starting at a TV with it on. :P No offense to you guys who do think it's an anime, however. In my opinion AGAIN, it's just drawn anime style, plus I've seen people draw anime WAAAYYY better than that.

It's not an anime. The creators have even said it's not an anime. They've gathered the art design from viewing different cultures (India, China, Japan, etc) so it is in a way, it's own design. I actually like it since it kind of reminds me of comic books. =3

Also, I want to see both however The Avatar cast bothers me. They look NOTHING like the cartoon cast, and Aang just seems... emoish with his silence. I haven't seen him laugh or make a silly comment like he always does. And I have high hopes for this movie but I fear I may be disappointed. We shall see...
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Avatar is not technically an anime, it's actually called anime-influenced animation. But the English dictionary defines it as 'Japanese-style animation', as in anything mocking the manga style artwork, even if it does not originate in Japan itself. Avatar is highly anime influenced and its cartoon design is that way on purpose (I enjoy it; I think it would look stupid drawn any other way, myself). Either way, that doesn't stop it from being completely awesome.

I agree with the above comment. Zuko doesn't look attractive, just odd, and Aang looks waaaaaaay too serious. But That's M. Night for you, not to mention it's a Hollywood movie and they can't disappoint people going to see the movie who want to see a serious plot and don't realize Aang is supposed to be happy go lucky. But we'll see.

UnderINK
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby GoodJobDino on Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, I obviously haven't seen Airbender, but I think it will be better as a film, because it is already all around better than Twilight. Not that that's saying much since Twilight is mediocre filth. But still...

GoodJobDino
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hunter170 on Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:47 pm

i cant wait to see both i read the books AND i watched the movies i also watched the avatar series like a thousand times... maybe theyll do a crossover... bending vampires... why not?
"insanity is like gravity... all it takes is a little push"

Hunter170
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:36 pm

As an avid watcher of the TV show and a reader of all four books, my vote goes to The Last Airbender.

To me, there's really no contest. Avatar: The Last Airbender is an imaginative, well-thought out story that never loses interest. It's lighthearted and fun, but at the same time there's a lot of action and a serious story behind it all. It's got substance, which is what the Twilight Saga is lacking. The books did nothing but put every squealing teen girl's fantasies on paper.

The movies are a completely different story. The Twilight movies, while still flimsy in the plot, are visually quite stunning, and the acting isn't half-bad. And I don't have high hopes for Avatar, because in my opinion M. Night Shymalan hasn't directed anything good since his Sixth Sense and Signs days.

So I guess if we're talking about the movies, my vote goes to the Twilight Saga.
"Only put off until tomorrow what you are willing to die having left undone." - Pablo Picasso

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:10 pm

Well I just watched Airbender yesterday and although Aang was more serious I could still sense his general happy go lucky childlike personality. I mean they couldn't have all those little scenes in between all the action showing how he liked to joke around. They picked the most pivotal moments and really blended them and executed them beautifully. My biggest gripe was the strange camera angles in some of the shots. One person would be blurry and another would be in focus and these shots seemed both static to me and also the blurriness hurt my head. Overall though the characters looked a lot like their animated counterparts and were acted really well. Even though I knew a lot about what would happen it was still exciting and surprising. It really felt like an authentic world and it really pulled you into the story and the characters. I will probably see Eclipse next week. I wish I could see it sooner but I have a baby that breastfeeds every two hours so it is hard to get away very often.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kaytayy Emm on Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:47 am

I have watched Avatar: The Last Airbender when it was a show on Nick. Honestly, I did not like it and I don't consider it to be a manga/anime or whatever you'd like to call it. I vote for Twilight, because I like the story. I've read the series about three times over. I like it a lot, but I am not one of those screaming fan-girls that every girl who reads the Twilight Saga is stereotyped to be. >.>

Now, the Twilight movies are a different thing completely. I LOVED Eclipse, and sort of liked Twilight (The first one), but New Moon was just horrible. Since they got a new director, I have high hopes for the Breaking Dawn movie.

Kaytayy Emm
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:34 pm

BloodIce17 wrote:Correction on Avatar IN MY OPINION: I really don't think Avatar is an anime, and you will never catch me dead watching it, unless I'm actually dead and my corpse is starting at a TV with it on. :P No offense to you guys who do think it's an anime, however. In my opinion AGAIN, it's just drawn anime style, plus I've seen people draw anime WAAAYYY better than that.

And I hate Twilight. -.- Why would the sparkle? It's BLEH so...
And another thing. Why do they have to be MADE-VAMPIRES? Made vampires fall to Level E and get killed by Soul Reapers...waiitt.....no never mind. Vampire Hunters, yeah, that sounds better. And born Vampires usually have powers, Aristocrats do anyway. It's not by chance, really. At least, I don't think so.

And Litra, would you agree with me if I said Edward Cullen only wishes he was as sexy as Edward Elric? Hmmm?

Yes, indeed, I'd agree with you on that. :P

And, I also agree that the actor playing Zuko doesn't really look like the animated version-just my thoughts... And what I saw from the trailors, his scar isn't too... eh, what's the word... maybe puckered... It's not as intense to his face as it is in the series... Usually, it's quite noticable but, whenever watching those comercials for it, it didn't look as bad...

Another thing, I would consider it anime, simply because the art style... But, then again, I didn't feel that way until my friend, Missy, told me that. I had actually asked her if Avatar was an anime, because she had asked me what I was doing, and I was going to reply that I was watching anime, but I wasn't sure if I could call it that... (Haha, sharing text stories...)

Sorry that was unnecessary, but still... I haven't seen the movies yet, but I have seen Eclipse, and it was pretty interesting! The movie effects were better than before, and, like many are saying, I believe it is the best out of the movie saga. ^-^

Litria Death
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lady Velvet on Mon Jul 05, 2010 10:06 am

And, I also agree that the actor playing Zuko doesn't really look like the animated version-just my thoughts... And what I saw from the trailors, his scar isn't too... eh, what's the word... maybe puckered... It's not as intense to his face as it is in the series... Usually, it's quite noticable but, whenever watching those comercials for it, it didn't look as bad...

I was really disappointed that Zuko's scar wasn't a little more defined. In fact, I was just disappointed that they picked Dev Patel to play him. He's a fine actor, but as far as looks go, he was probably the least aptly cast. I think most Avatar fans had planned to be little screaming fangirls over him, but that never really happened because he didn't portray Zuko all that well.

On another note, the creators of Avatar: the Last Airbender have emphasized several times that their show is not an anime. They simply got the inspiration for the animation from anime, but they don't refer to it as such. It's just a cartoon.

Lady Velvet
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:30 pm

I could pick Avatar almost solely based on how much I hate the actors in the Twilight movies. I've read through some of the Twilight series to see what all the hype was about, and honestly the portrayals of the characters are so... bleh...

Edward was supposed to be beautiful. In the movie, Pattinson looks more creepy and like he needs a bath.

Bella wasn't the happiest girl in the world, but jeez, did she always have her face contorted into that pouty, sourpuss face Stewart does? Although, I probably shouldn't judge considering how much I simply don't like that girl; I'm probably too biased there to make a fair assessment.

And that Taylor Lautner guy can't act. Period.

Mind you I haven't actually had the courage to sit through an entire Twilight movie (I was worried about all the brain cells I was losing), so I'm not the best judge, but from what I've seen they're horrible and they just take advantage of how popular the books are and put very little effort into making a good movie.
<3

Queen of Ice
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Ious on Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 am

I could vote Aang from the sheer hate of twilight and the sparkly vampires.

The Airbender > Sparkly vampires any day.

however crappy "The Last Airbender" will be, I will still vote for it. To hell with twifags.

And no I'm not writing a paragraph on this topic.
qbsuperstar03 wrote:I've been looking at that username for God knows how long, and it JUST occurred to me how to pronounce it.

It's less like "Mister Eye-ous" and more like "mysterious."

Damn, I feel stupid.

Mr Ious
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:44 pm

To hell with twifags.

Isn't that a little... harsh...?

Litria Death
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:08 am

Definately harsh. Just because we like the books and movies doesn't make us fags. It's all opinion anyway and people will like what they like so you don't need to insult us just because we like something you don't.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 14 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!