Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Two rp ideas being thrown at you...don't duck!

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Two rp ideas being thrown at you...don't duck!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Death jr. on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:38 am

Okay, I've had these 2 ideas floating in my head for awhile.

1) i was thinking about a revolutionary rp, kinda set in the future. Not to far in the future, but further none the less. Somehow our government crumbled (wonder how that could've happened) and a dictatorship was set up. From there people would have surrendered their freedom to this maniac. After some time a group of "terrorist" or rebels would fight back. That is kinda how far i got with that idea...^_^'

-There would be enough action/drama to keep you interested..hopefully
-still undecided if rpers should be able to play both sides
-input your own ideas into this!!!

2) The second one is a fantasy rp...kind of. Well it would take place in the summer, just after school ended.Things would be going nice and good until the night of the meteor shower, or something along those lines. Then a certain group of kids/teens would gain a power to summon a creature. The creatures need a overall name, i'll find on eventually ^_^'. Anyway these creatures come in all shapes and sizes. Thats as far as i got with this one.

-still undecided on a lot of things for this one, like if the creatures should be here just for fighting, or some other reason
-needs more ideas!! ^_^'

like is said, these are just base plots. There is alot of room for improvement, and change. So check them out, think about it, and add your ideas ^/_\^ <-itachi smiley face ftw <
"...Lift every voice and scream, until we destroy everything. Disgusted with harmony, Fuck liberty..."
Prepare for the revolution. Prepare for war. Prepare for Anarchy

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Death jr.
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: Two rp ideas being thrown at you...don't duck!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby .Life.Death.Tragedy. on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:55 am

i like 2 :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

.Life.Death.Tragedy.
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:28 am

1. Won't work.

Really simple reason; you're using a world you don't know enough about. Yeah, I'm referring to the world you're living in. If you create a 'future' for something like this you need a lot of know-how about politics, psychology, sociology, culture, etc. Seeing from how incredibly limited the concept is, you don't.

If it were set in an alternative universe. It would be do-able. Not very original though. You can probably find multiple similar concepts just by browsing through OOC archives.

2. Too little information. Once again, nothing we haven't seen before and no twists, nor a solid presentation/explanation to back it up. Meteors land on earth, give of a certain radiance and suddenly a few random kids learn to summon 'creatures'? No thanks.

Before you throw ideas at people, ask yourself questions about them first. Question every line you write, go over everything twice. What information is lacking? What could you add to make it sound more interesting, etc. This looks just lazy.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bowden2611 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:41 am

Well, Number 1 isn't really my thing.
But number 2, I'm all for it.
I was thinking, we should have the 'creatures' for companionship, protection and for friendship. Maybe, the occasional battle.
If you can get a half-decent plot for this, I'd be happy to participate.
---

Never try, Never fail ;)

---

Bowden's back!!

Bowden2611
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:28 am

Kestrel I think you are being a little harsh, there is plenty of time for the person to improve their ideas and give a much stronger background structure, this is afetr all only an interest check thread. If this were the actual OOC for a game I would agree with the very useful and good points you made. But considering this is merely an idea being proferred for exploration I would say you're criticising too heavily.

Besides, everyone has to have a chance to try out ideas, if they fail they learn from it. For all you know the person has many more ideas that could be applied to this but isn't volunteering any until people have had they're say. It's pretty harsh to flat out tell someone their idea won't work based on absolutely no current evidence. Perhaps the advise to improve and build on their idea is warranted but saying that it won't work and there's plenty of things like that in the OOC threads is too negative. Death Jr. may have a very original take on this or simply be willing to hear from people who have an original take on this.

At any rate, given more idea of the background (because that is necessary, though if you want help making ideas up I will) I am interested in number one.

After all I've said, number two does frankly sound a little un-original for my liking. It's probably workable but in any case is not my style of game.
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Death jr. on Sat Nov 15, 2008 2:42 pm

What Wakboth said. I understand that these two ideas aren't that original, or very good to say the least. But these were just two ideas. Just something to see if anyone would be interested. I wouldn't want to write a whole story, background, and have endless information just to have everyone bored of the idea. So instead of just heavy unhealthy criticism can we try and build one of the two ideas?

1) As previously stated, no i don not know enough about politics, psychology, sociology, culture, etc. I'm 16 and my mind is focused on girls, money, and video games. So would anyone be willing to step up and help out? With this one i was aiming for something similar to the "V for Vendetta" type of government. Or the "Equilibrium" type of government. If you've seen the movies, you'd know what i was talking about. Basically there is a dictatorship. One person has complete control over the country and is leading it how he sees fit. Most likely by striking fear into the people. Like i said, just an idea. I'll make a full story if i see enough people are interested, and an idea can be built up.

2)The creatures idea is lacking in originality. And the meteor shower was just one event that 'could' happen. Like i said, the story, setting, everything is up for debate and change. I'm not sure how I'd want the kids/teens to get the creatures. Can you think of a way? If you can, I'd be more than happy to hear it.

Another thing.
If you've had a bad day i can understand that, but nothing gives you the right to so harshly bash someone's else ideas. Maybe neither idea is appealing to you. If that is the case then don't comment. You make yourself seem like a condescending jerk when you do. Excuse me if my creative skills aren't on par with yours. I'm trying just like everyone else.

Oh and in the future, instead of bashing someones ideas, try adding your own ideas, or twist to the rp like the person who posted asked you to do. Just a thought ^/_\^

Death jr.
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:44 pm

Criticism doesn't require to be wrapped in a pretty paper and served with lots of sugar on top. 'Bashing' is downright insulting the idea. I said you need to put more effort in it. I do it in a 'harsh' way. Sue me.

If you can't level with a certain trait of an RP, you should do research. If you want to be the GM of this RP, or even participate in it, you need a certain level of knowledge. In the same way, if you don't know anything about Japanese history, you shouldn't make a samurai-RP. That's not something you can just 'ask' someone else for you to do, it's something you need to do yourself.

If you need to pass a test, you have to study for it yourself. If someone else studies it and gives you a quick overview, well, you might learn a thing or two, but your grade will be much lower.

And to be frankly honest, where I come from, it's blatantly rude to ask someone to help you out while you show minimal input yourself. Y'know the term 'leeching'? Well that's basically what it sounds like to me. If you show you've put time and effort in your ideas, I'd be more than happy to try and help you out.

Oh and Wakboth, I'm no big on being lectured, especially not if people spend two full paragraphs on it and then add nothing new to the topic their selves. OOC's are not open for C&C, because they're 'finished'. When you post an OOC topic, you can't change it because as soon as someone posts a profile he/she will be expecting something from the roleplay, based on the first post.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Death jr. on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:56 pm

I see what you mean and i apologize. It was early in the morning and i was a little cranky. Excuse me saying what i said. But the thing is I'm not asking for someone to build this rp for me, I'm asking for whoever wants to participate to help build it. Instead of someone giving me the answers for a test, this would be a group project. I do agree with you, i may be expecting to much from everyone, but regardless I'll try to make either rp anyway.If i fail, i fail. I'll learn from it. I posted this here to see if anyway would be interested, and offer their own ideas.

Death jr.
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Death jr. on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:58 pm

Sorry guys, I'm putting these 2 ideas to the side right now, and I'm going to create a rp based on the Rapture. Feel free to take these two ideas and go crazy with them.

Death jr.
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!