Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Reach for the Stars

Reach for the Stars

a part of “Reach for the Stars”, a fictional universe by TemplarWarden.

Humankind has always dreamed of reaching the stars. The solar system is collapsing around humanity. Our only hope of survival is to travel into space. We shall touch the stars, but at what cost?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Reach for the Stars”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

[OOC] Reach for the Stars

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Mon Oct 18, 2010 10:08 am

roleplay/reach-for-the-stars/

Humankind has always dreamed of reaching the stars
Existence beyond this ball we call Earth has always captured our imaginations
It began when our first ancestors first looked to the sky to see the star twinkling in the blackness
It shall end when the first human steps upon the surface of a planet beyond our solar system
We shall Reach and touch the stars
But at what cost?

It is the year 2521. Human beings have spread far beyond the atmosphere of Earth. We terraformed Mars and took it as our own. The moon is a sealed metropolis founded in 2067. Earth is decimated, much of its life stripped from it. Even the emptiness of space cannot escape our touch. Enormous satellites orbit our sun, sustaining our population. Space-factories rip the raw materials out of Mercury, Pluto and the many moons. Even the gases of Jupiter are being siphoned to feed our existence.

We cannot last like this. Eventually our system will become like Earth, barren and worthless. Our only hope is to expand, just like it was when Earth began to crumble around us. We looked to our solar system to sustain us, now we must look beyond. For humans to continue to exist we must Reach for the Stars.

Faster-than-light travel, it has always been a dream. As unachievable as efficient fusion. Yet science's urban legends are our gateway out of the range of the sun's light and into the great nether. The greatest minds strove for lifetimes to create experiment technologies from these myths. Through sheer perseverance we managed it, like we outlasted the universe itself.

With the technology available the plans were laid. A ship was to be manufactured, Nyx, named for the ancient Greek goddess of the night into which it would be flung. Entirely self-sufficient, the best the human race had to offer would crew it and the most varied specimens of human would be its cargo. It had no destination and its only task was to save human kind.

The passengers are fortunate, safely stored cryogenically. The crew must age, pass on their knowledge and watch over the sleepers as the Nyx travels at Fast-than-light speed with no set destination.
Tensions will arise, tensions will break.
Friendships shall form, friends shall drift apart.
You are a crew member of the Nyx, how will you cope?

Character Sheet:
Name: Well, obviously all the names of your character. No nicknames here.
Description: What your character looks like, I would like written description. But pictures are acceptable as long as they don't make up for lack of depth.
Personality: Who your character is. How they act, what they like, dislike and more. Reasons can go into here but try to fit them in history. This is where you describe what your characters skills are and their position on the ship.
Equipment: Most of the character's equipment is part of the ship but this is where you describe personal effects and the kind of things they wear.
History: Why your character is who they are, how they grew up and why they ended up as part of the Nyx's crew.

Crew Positions available: These aren't set in stone, while I would like at least one person of each position you don't need to think that because someone else is a particular crewman you can't be. Within reason of course.
Captain: Free - Only one
Is in command of the ship and organises the crew to complete their individual tasks. The captain makes final decisions on the ship, including their destination, as advised by the crew.

First Mate: Lt. Sebastian Grey - As played by Avecess
Is in command second to the Captain. He is meant to act as a go-between between the crew and the Captain, dealing with more menial problems.

Navigator(s): Free
Has access to the star charts recorded before the Nyx departed the solar system and has the capability to understand, from these findings, planets suitable as destinations for the Nyx. the Navigator(s) provide the Captain with advise on the ship's heading.

Enforcer(s): Free
Essentially the riot police of the Nyx. Enforcer(s) ensure that the crew's morale is high and there is no possibility of mutiny or discontent. They advise the captain of the best course of action in order to insure the crew remains content.

Scientist(s): Free
The intellectuals on board the ship, they continue to develop technologies in their specific areas of expertise and advise the Captain according to these areas.

Technician(s):
  • Nogond Sword - As played by Nogond - Robotic Engineer/Designer
  • Ezera Jaron - As played by NothernSoul - Doctor - Acute Medicine
  • Free
Technicians work alongside the Scientists to ensure that the Nyx's systems are working properly and do not place the ship at risk. They are largest proportion of the Nyx's crew. Their tasks are not purely mechanical as suggested by the name, essentially they run the ship from the hydroponic gardens to the cyrochambers to the reactors.

This crew list should be good enough. Technicians are the broadest subject and there is far too many positions to name each one so most of them go under technician. This list is only of interest if you want to be the Captain, Navigator, First mate or Enforcer. If you're not going to be one of those just make up whatever you want and I'll find some way to accommodate you.
Last edited by TemplarWarden on Sun Oct 31, 2010 7:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
The Spice Melange occurs on only one planet in the entire universe.
The Planet Arrakis, also known as Dune.
He who controls Arrakis, controls the Spice. He who controls the Spice, controls the universe.

Omnomnomnom

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re: [OOC] Reach for the Stars

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avecess on Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:21 am

Hey Falcon, thought I'd try my hand at your RP. Sounds interesting.
Are you planning on taking up a crew position?
I'd like to submit a character for the First Mate position if possible.

Talk soon!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Avecess
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Wed Oct 20, 2010 9:48 am

Yay, thanks very much Avecess.
I shall get around to creating my character once school and my imagination allows me inspiration.

I won't be taking an important position so feel free to submit a character for First Mate, I won't be fussy about picking the best character application with him/her. Yet I do want a decent character, he/she is meant to be rather important.
I'll be waiting expectantly.

UPDATE:
One Technician has joined the crew:
Nogond Sword - As played by Nogond - Robotic Engineer

Possibly one application for Captain: This does not mean that the position is taken.
flying monkey child

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nogond on Wed Oct 20, 2010 12:27 pm

I think my character also will do some researching in the field of robotics. So you can call him an engineer/Scientist

Nogond
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avecess on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:03 pm

Done and done. Hope you approve.
Let me know what you think!

Avecess
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Wed Oct 20, 2010 11:51 pm

Wow, I really like your character NorthernSoul. I'm very interested in seeing her history. Ezera is accepted.

Just a couple of things I'll like to wrap up with her.
After taking a quick glance at wikipedia I discovered what acute medicine is, I'm assuming its basically emergency treatment within a hospital. If not please correct me and maybe describe it in your character sheet so everyone knows exactly what she does.

Also, people really aren't allowed to carry around weapons, even the Enforcers. So a small pistol and knife really don't need to be included in the character sheet, unless she is paranoid and even then it wouldn't be allowed. I said the same thing to Nogond.

You talk about "missions." Now its going to be a while until there are any 'missions', so to speak, on the surfaces of planets. So maybe you need to refine those little things if about exactly what it applies to.

Avecess, I'm itching to accept your character and no doubt will but there are couple of things I would like amended, before the acceptance becomes official. Its clear you put a good amount of thought into him though.

Some things in his physical description aren't quite as detail as they could be, yet this is just a suggestion.

I would like a bit more in the personality, you have why he is who is but you haven't actually described how he would act around other people which is one of things I wanted in there. Also maybe you can make it a bit clearer what his position is on the ship and what skills he actually has that gets him the job.

I would also like to know what he usually wears, just a thought since everyone else has covered it and could you describe what the pocket watch looks like. Maybe you could include generally what is on the journals.

With history some things need a bit more explanation. What kind of soldier was he? What exactly about the ruptured hull damaged his leg? (What is the pen?) And what kind of war was it? Its space going so it has little to do with the nations of Earth, make something up. What made him become a soldier? The Commonwealth, if its the British one you mean, doesn't really apply in space. And the Nyx is a solar project, meaning everyone worked on.
I really like how you introduced the development of the Nyx program, that is now becoming official. Thumbs up.

Sorry for being critical you two, its just what I'm like. Both your characters are really good and a few more like them and this roleplay should be awesome.

UPDATE:
Another Technician has joined the crew:
Ezera Jaron - As played by NothernSoul - Doctor - Acute Medicine

First Mate is reserved until CS is complete:
Sebastian Grey - As played by Avecess

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Thu Oct 21, 2010 2:19 am

Yep, that's essentially what acute medicine is. I'll clarify within the sheet. I'll edit regarding the weapons also- I assumed that the characters would have some kind of protection when off-ship. As for the missions... Won't there be some kind of reconnaissance in order to at least survey candidate planets? I realise there might not be any in the near future but surely all the characters signed up with this in mind?

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avecess on Thu Oct 21, 2010 10:36 am

Thanks for the input Falcon!
I've fully fleshed out the details and I'm much more comfortable with the character now.
All sections have been edited, and there's a better wrap up for the smaller things as well.

Please have a fresh read and let me know what you think!

Avecess
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:57 pm

Awesome, I like your updates. I think Sebastian is good enough to earn his First Mate position and is hereby Accepted.

Protection while off-ship is mostly supplied by the Enforcers, its a civilian vessel mostly and so the crew generally don't have military training, if you want she can although I don't want every character like that. Besides, much of the human population are sceptic about the existence on other life or the encountering of it so what are you arming against other then the local wildlife... if there is any. Well, I generally expected that whatever you are taking on your missions would be described in the posts before the crew disembark. Its your choice what you want to do about it then.

Still failing on inspiration for a character, although I'm expecting that we may need an Enforcer and/or Navigator by the time this starts, which will be when there are a few more people and a Captain.

UPDATES:
Achieving the position of First Mate and Lieutenant is Sebastian Grey - as played by Avecess

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:36 am

Hey, plz accept character, its a captain and his son (WOO, 2 characters, one sheet :D)

anyways, cant wait to start the RP
POWER TO THE ROLE PLAYERS: Pet Project: Verseship

I am 33% evil, 33% insane, 33% role player, and 1% other (Note: Insane and Brilliant are the same thing!)
My test:
My Brothers Test: [CENTER]Image

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Fri Oct 22, 2010 6:49 am

THe Charecter I'm sorry but looking at your sheet I can't even think of accepting your characters at this point, especially since its an application for the Captain. You don't have enough for one character, let alone 2. Also, a child of 9 would not be part of the crew and if you re going to have his son, who needs to be mid-twenties, you need two character sheets.
Can you please improve the character and use other people's characters to help you. There are so many things missing that I won't go through them all.
I have to say my first impression of you isn't a good one, you might need to work on that :p. I hope you can join though.

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Fri Oct 22, 2010 3:29 pm

its his dam son, and i have ideas about the RP with him

2nd: Really....its a LOT for MANY roleplayers. Iv seen so many others that were far less detailed and far less explained, and yet, they are roleplaying right now, and actually pretty dam good.

3rd: I am telling you now that it is extreammly unlikely for a lot of people to be joining something original

and finnally 4: How dar you be agists, are you saying that fathers would leave their sons behind, and that no children are allowed on the ship, because taht is what you are saying, and i am saying the son was a passenger who lived with his dad and was the captain, i never siad he had a job on the ship

oh great, now you made me rant, >:O

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Sat Oct 23, 2010 8:25 am

I'm sorry, for my earlier post I wasn't really in the best of moods and wasn't as nice as I should have been. Yet you haven't exactly gotten yourself into my good books, I'm sorry

1st: Well, change your ideas, the RP is not centred about what you want to do.

2nd: It may be lots for many roleplayers but that level of quality is not my benchmark. I know that character's detail is not always the detail in which the person writes, yet more often the not it is. Also, the character sheet is meant to be an example of your quality of writing and that is what I base my opinion off.

3rd: I want quality, not quantity and I'm not willing to sacrifice the former for sake of the later. Thank you for saying my idea is original.

4th: Please don't tell me who I am and what I mean, I find that slightly offensive. I apologise if that is the way it came across. Actually, I didn't say that no children were allowed on the ship, I said in the crew, and if a character not part of the crew they can't be played in the RP. If he is even going to be on the ship he will be cryogenically frozen, in other words, cargo and so therefore unplayable.

Have I made myself clear? I hope you are going to stop arguing with me and fix/rewrite your character. I'm sorry if I made you rant but you also made me rant, so we're are even.

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Sat Oct 23, 2010 1:01 pm

Dam your rant

if it makes you feel better, when i posted both these things, i hadn't slept in the past 24 hours lol

il see if any revissions can be made, or detail added, but i cannot guerentee anything, also, i neeed to think, so dont expect imediate work XD

i would like to point out though, i do much longer details and posts in the RPs themselves usually

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nogond on Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:20 pm

I wonder if more people will join.

Nogond
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avecess on Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:05 pm

We have 4 including Falcon, looks like 2 more would do it.
If not, 4's a good number too :)

Avecess
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:26 pm

Alright, It looks like no one else is going to turn up, so either we start it now or it dies here. Its up to you guys. I don't particularly want to play the
Captain but I can if I must.
Does anyone want to double up on characters? To give the roleplay a bit more variation.
I'll give you some time to respond then, depending on what you say I'll begin.

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:46 am

I'm happy to double up. What particular role would you like filled?

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TemplarWarden on Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:45 pm

We'll we can drop the Navigator really. So mostly I would like an Enforcer and Scientist, the former being the more crucial of the two. And of course we need a captain, even at the cost of the other roles.

I hope you can read this Nogond. Really I just need one person doubling up, taking whatever role the wish out of the available three.

I would double up myself except he has slightly overburdened me and I has a lot of things on his mind. I'll take whatever is needed, Captain or Enforcer depending on what you choose.

Thank you, and sorry for the delay etc. etc. =p.

TemplarWarden
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Avecess on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:10 pm

Sorry for the late post, I can double up as well if needed.

Not sure if anyone's submitted a secondary character yet.
I'll submit one in a bit, just in case.

Avecess
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!