Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Deviance: The Uprising

a part of “Deviance: The Uprising”, a fictional universe by Temperance.

Humans that posses magical powers have now made themselves known in society, though not everyone accepts their presence. If the chaos from the circles of mages was not enough, mages are now being hunted or left for dead. (Open/Accepting)

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Deviance: The Uprising”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Temperance on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:03 am

The world as we know it is rather different than before. It is filled with magic and other mysterious beings that were once foreign to us. The concept of mages is a rather new term to those who possess magic. Originally, these people were thought of as a threat and hunted. Now, they are being slowly accepted into society. They are still some, who are in hiding, which is generally now illegal. But others have found their homes in what are now called circles where mages gather and live. Those on the outside often call them cults or devil worship. Several years ago, it was illegal to be a mage, or what they originally called witches and wizards. They were either imprisoned, banished from their towns, or eventually hunted down and killed. As more and more people began to realize these were normal individuals that just were given very unique gifts, most of them not hostile, they began to look at them differently. The term witch and wizard became outlawed by what was a self established council by mages for mages. The council's general purpose was to look out for the well being of these individuals, however make sure they were not a threat to others.

Recently, things called circles were issued as legal by the council, they felt they the creation of an environment for mages would allow them to live happier and more comfortably. However, little did they know what was about to be created and the hell that would break loose from some of these circles.

Work in progress..

The Academy:

Mages as soon as they are ranked, are encouraged to attend the academy. It is a place that teaches mages how to hone their abilities as well as a general education center.It is not mandatory that mages attend however. Though some rank five mages may be forced to join. The academy was founded by the son of the head of council. Because when he was a child he had very little control over his abilities for such a long time, often causing harm to his family and loved ones, he wanted to make sure nothing of the sort would happen to the future generations. It is a mystery what happened to the rest of his originally rather large sized family, but it is rumored that he might have been the cause of their disappearances.

General education classes at the academy are rather accelerated. Classes are very much like college classes, and you will do half of your work at campus and half of your work at home. Students will have varying schedules that they can tweak to cater to their lifestyle. Magical training however is different, and is very hands on. It includes training on campus and off campus, as well as excersizes and book work at home. The academy's is stationed further from normal schools, but is also not far enough to be completely isolated, either.

The rules for this institution are very strict, and it would not be rare for students to get kicked out.

Years:

1 Freshman
2 Sophmore
3 Junior
4 Senior

Circles:

Circles are groups within society that have formed for various reasons. Each circle has their own requirement for mages, some of them more strict than others. Circles are one hundred percent legal, although each individual circle's actions and goals may not be. Circles vary in size and are located all over the world, there are however 'Regal' circles. These circles tend to be located by landmarks or high traffic areas. They are the more popular and sought out circles. Circles may be started by anyone of rank, they must receive permission from the council and a temporary advisor for their circle. They then receive a permit in which to house their circle.

Here are some general circle ideas, feel free to pick one you would like to lead/be a part of. Those who wish to lead can expand upon what I have written so do notify me immediately.

Circle 1: Circle one is a circle that welcomes all levels of mages. This circle wishes to give those that feel like outsiders and loners or just different a home. They are about equality and acceptance and are a very homy group. Your home away from home if you will. They are not to be underestimated, however, they do have their handful of powerful mages.

Circle 2: Circle two requires rank four or higher. This circle is about bettering oneself and hard work. They believe they have a greater purpose in life than to sit around wasting away their powers or causing issues around the city. They are very disciplined and are put through vigorous training among enrollment.

Circle 3: Circle three requires mages of rank four or higher. This circle is a rather unruly group with a general superiority complex. This circle causes a lot of trouble for those around them and seems to make it their job to give others a hard time. They are within their own right, a strong circle that is somewhat chaotic. - The problem circle / the bad guys.

Circle 4: Circle four requires rank 2 or higher, immediately denial upon revealing of other ranks. This circle is extremely secretive, not even their own members have seen their leaders face (or have they?). This circle's goals are rather unknown by those around them. - The generic evil/bad guy circle.

Divisions:

Divisions apply to ranks within a circle, division rankings vary depending on the leader of said circle.
They can be based on strength, loyalty, progression, reliability, trust, general 'usefulness', age, etc.

To be edited..

Guardians , Enchantments, and Demons:

Mages get one of several things when they awaken to their powers.
An enchantment: Enchantments are actually weapons, they are very diverse in their use and get stronger as their owner progresses with their magic. Unlike normal weapons however, enchantments can die.
Demons: Demons are another form of the mage which their power is enhanced, some people develop dual personalities when they receive their demons.
Guardians: Guardians are companions who fight at their mage's side. They can be human or animal, some of them capable of speech, and some of them not. Guardian's powers are limited in one area, their power will progress as their owners does. It is said if a guardian bond with their master is strong enough, they will die with their master, or their master will die with their guardian.

Ranks:

Ranks are given to all mages as soon as their abilities are made public. Each mage is called up by the council to be tested and placed in an appropriate ranking which they will have casted on them (and this cannot be manipulated or covered), somewhere on their body. This can only be removed and changed by the members of the council. Most mages start at the lowest ranks, though those who hide their abilities tend to have their results vary.

1. One is the highest rank there is available to those who possess magic. Those who are rank one have learned to fully control their powers, strengthened them, and possibly even expended into other areas of expertise.
Sub ranks:

A. Those ranked with 1A have mastered one area of magical expertise, and are likely the strongest person possessing this power. This is a very rare rank to get and is reranked often as new mages progress to rank one. It is extremely rare for mages to rerank as 1A.
B. 1B is typically a mage who has mastered their main ability and branched out into other abilities, being proficient in those areas but still are stronger with their natural ability. This is the most common rank.
C. Those ranked at 1C have mastered their abilities, branched out into other areas, and also mastered those areas. This is an extremely rare ranking.

2. Rank two is for mages that have fully mastered their ability, and have just started to branch out into other areas of magic.
3. Rank three is for mages that have just mastered their ability.
4. Rank four is for mages that have moderate control over their abilities. This is the most common rank among mages.

Sub ranks:
A. Sub rank a is the less common rank, it is for mages that have powers in various areas already, but lack in their control (all areas).
B. The most common rank, these mages have a good feel for their powers and limitations, they just simply haven't 'mastered' their area yet.

5. Rank Five is for mages that have little to no control over their abilities.
Sub Ranks:

A. Mages in rank A typically have little control over their magic, and have a hard time using their powers or tire easily from attempts to use them.
B. Mages in rank B have absolutely no control over their powers and/or are a harm to themselves or others.

Unranked. Unranked mages have yet to be ranked. Often they have just discovered their abilities or have been hiding them from the general public.

Hunters:

Types of hunters vary, but there are hunters who possess magic, and hunters who do not. Majority of hunters, do not possess magic, and those that do have it often hide it. The Hunters made themselves known as soon as the first mage was made public. The community sought to kill this person and thus made a group which they named the hunters and vowed to rid of these diseased beings. Currently, however, hunters serve various purposes. There are bounty hunters who either capture or kill mages for money, hunters who kill mages for their own personal reasons and do not seek a reward (often self employed), and those who are also mages who hunt other mages - this is a lot more rare and these people usually are not known by name but as ever-changing aliases as to stay away from the other hunters. Most recently, there have been a few sightings of people calling themselves 'Seekers'. These people have started hunting the 'hunters'. The general population tends to still call them hunters, however.

Open Hunter Spots:

1. (Human)
2. (Human)
3. (Human)
4. (Human)
4. (Mage)
5. (Mage)

I will only allow a certain amount of people for some of the ranks:

Open Mage Spots:

Rank 1:

A: One spot
B: One spot
C: Reserved

Rank 2:

Spot 1
Spot 2

Rank 3:

Spot 1
Spot 2

Rank 4:

Spot 1 (Sub B)
Spot 2 (Sub B)
Spot 3 (Sub A)
Spot 4 (Sub A)

Rank 5:

Unlimited

Unranked:

Spot 1
Spot 2

Code: Select all
[center][b][size=200]Full Name: Nickname, Age then Gender
    Alias (A fancy name your character might be known by, usually gained with great renown. This ain't a nickname, but a name that has a meaning. Something that resembles your character in some way. Unranked characters will not have one.), _ (1,2,3,4,5,unranked, or hunter) Circle Name (If applicable)[/size][/b][/center]

[center][size=150][b]~ Physical Info ~[/b][/size][/center]

[left][img]Image%20link(url)%20here[/img][/left]
    [center][b]{Appearance}[/b]
    (Appearance)

[b]{Rank Marking}[/b]
    (Where is your rank located)

[size=150][b]~ Mentality ~[/b][/size]

[b]{Personality}[/b]
    (Personality)[/center]

[left][b]{Likes}[/b][/left] [right][b]{Dislikes}[/b][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Like1[/left] [right]Dislike1 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Like2[/left] [right]Dislike2 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Like3[/left] [right]Dislike3 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Like4 (Opt.)[/left] [right](Opt.) Dislike4 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Like5 (Opt.)[/left] [right](Opt.) Dislike5 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Like6 (Opt.)[/left] [right](Opt.) Dislike6 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]

[left][b]{Quirks}[/b][/left] [right][b]{Phobias}[/b][/right]
    [left][color=#0E90AA][b]%[/b][/color] Quirk1[/left] [right]Fear1 [color=#6612B4][b]@[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0E90AA][b]%[/b][/color] Quirk2[/left] [right](Opt.) Fear2 [color=#6612B4][b]@[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0E90AA][b]%[/b][/color] Quirk3 (Opt.)[/left]

[left][b]{Strengths}[/b][/left] [right][b]{Weaknesses}[/b][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Strength1[/left] [right]Weakness1 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Strength2[/left] [right]Weakness2 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Strength3[/left] [right]Weakness3 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Strength4 (Opt.)[/left] [right](Opt.) Weakness4 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Strength5 (Opt.)[/left] [right](Opt.) Weakness5 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]
    [left][color=#0D9D00][b]o[/b][/color] Strength6 (Opt.)[/left] [right](Opt.) Weakness6 [color=#FF0000][b]x[/b][/color][/right]

[center][size=150][b]~ Ability Statistics ~[/b][/size]

[b]{Guardian, Demon, or Enchantment}[/b]
    [u]Type[/u] - (Description)

[b]{Magic-Types}[/b]
    Magic Type 1 (primary) ~ Magic Type 2 (Opt.) ~ Magic Type 3 (Opt.) ~ Magic Type 4 (Opt.)

[b]{Signature Spell}[/b]
    [u]Spell Name[/u] - (Description)

[b]{Spell List}[/b]
(May add more spells for each magic type (if rank high enough)
    ~Spell-Type 1
    ~Spell-Type 2
    ~Spell-Type 3
    ~Spell-Type 4

[b]{Non-magic Skills}[/b]
    [b]#[/b] Non-magic Skill1
    [b]#[/b] Non-magic Skill2
    [b]#[/b] Non-magic Skill3
    [b]#[/b] Non-magic Skill4 (Opt.)
    [b]#[/b] Non-magic Skill5 (Opt.)

[size=150][b]~ Personal Background ~[/b][/size]

[b]{Biography}[/b]
    (Biograhpy)

[b]Relationships[/b]
   (Friends, enemies, family, rivals, boy/girlfriends etc.)/center]
Last edited by Temperance on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Temperance
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Person of Interest Tipworthy

Re: Deviance: The Uprising

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AquaSaber on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:06 am

Interesting enough, I'm in. Any chance I could create the rank 1B mage? >.> I have some ideas depending on what you have for expanded information regarding the world. Either that or a fairly knowledgeable unranked mage that doesn't care for the ranking system and thereby has avoided being ranked or discovered.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

AquaSaber
Member for 11 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Layla on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:34 am

TTTEEEEMMPPPP!!!! Oh my gosh oh my gosh oh my gosh TEMP!!! It's you! You're back. I could die right now. DIE. I have missed you so much and Cori and I reminisced over it for AGES! It continues to be one of my favourite, if not favourite, RP, ever. I am most certainly joining this one because you're one of the greatest GMs of all time and I loved working with you!

I realise you don't take reservations but, like, I literally cannot make a character any earlier than tomorrow night (it's the night before tomorrow here, right now). But I really wanna deja vu and play a 1A >.< Goddanggit I will just have to make the best 1A offer you get! And even if I don't get that, omg, I still want to and NEED to be a part of this. I've missed you soooo much oh my god stop gushing Layla.

Edit: Naturally, Circle 3 is most appealing (in honour of Ravenna!) Omg Freya and Isy... Dude I don't even really care what my character's rank is because the fact is: You. Made. An. RP. (That is so much like the last one omg why did cori totally die on us. Everyone should've lived to see this day.)

Layla
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LostRiver on Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:05 pm

Awwww maaannn. This looks cool. I'm definitely going to be making a character! ^-^

LostRiver
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Temperance on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:57 pm

Hey guys C:

Aqua, well, I don't really reserve but I will keep in mind your interest for it. If your profile is good enough then it is first come first serve. I do also like your second idea, though, it would add something interesting to the story.

Layla! YOU'RE ALIVE. I thought you guys all died from RPG. I was so sad when I came back. You know I actually tried to find Cori to get him to write stuff and he like fell off of the face of the planet and I was all depressed. Let me just...pm you...

River, looking forward to your character!

----

Alright guys I still have a lot to put in terms of information, and I will be adding more to the character template - I will update you guys when I am done doing so. Thank you for your interest in the roleplay guys 8).
Last edited by Temperance on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Temperance
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal World Builder Person of Interest Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Layla on Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:32 pm

A lot of them did fall off! I RPed and spoke to them a few times before they did though. Gabe (cori) and I co-GMed for a bit. I miss him too! T.T He's just busy writing. The guy's like a bloody word and story machine. I fuy expect to find his book on the shelves some time haha.

I can't crank out a character right now but I'll do my best when I get back >.<

Layla
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Visual Appeal Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Temperance on Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:52 pm

Alright, I have added a bit to the information sheet and I am still adding more. The background information will have to wait for the moment.

I have added hunters to the mix, as well as some academy information, demon/enchantment/guardian information, and I am working on tweaking the character profile information right now. If anyone wants to add some ideas while this is still in the works, feel free to do so. Things such as maps, are coming soon.

Later I will make an NPC thread, if anyone wishes to create an NPC you will be free to do so. You will also be able to note whether you will allow it to be used freely by others, just yourself, or in select circumstances.

We need people to be heads of circles so feel free to volunteer for those spots if you are interested.
Academy classes are lacking, I would like to note that this is a complete optional place, and those that do attend it I don't want to be there all to often. We're going to treat it like college, you only go on certain days.

Temperance
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AquaSaber on Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:59 pm

Interesting, sounds reasonable enough. If you're more interested in a deliberately unranked mage I'll go with that idea then, I think I'm more interested in it as well though I wouldn't mind some thoughts on how I could get them involved. (Though once more background is up I'm sure that will help) I'm thinking someone who ...erm. If this even fits in the history of the story, was taught sort of oldschool apprentice to master style and didn't register when the council and everything was formed, just continued learning and practicing on their own and from their master due to their dislike of such systems.

Hrm, would there be a particular level of knowledge and skill that you would like to restrict them to? Honestly they're going to be an adult, and fairly talented with a formal, if oldschool education, and a contempt for rankings, so I'd like to go for the /equivalent/ of. ...well. ...1b if you'd let me with a good enough application, but I don't really wanna feel like I'm dodging the limitations on number of characters of specific ranks by going unranked. >.> So if you want them a bit less skilled I shant object.

Though I'd like to emphasize they certainly wouldn't be inherently "better" just because they look down on the system. It's conceivable that they're actually relatively focused still despite branching out from their initial speciality simply because of the relative lack of collaboration. ...hrmm unless they've infiltrated a school or have access to a fairly decent library or something.

I hope that all isn't too boring or cliche or whatever X.X

ANYWAY Question regarding the magic system: Those enchantments or demons or guardians that you gain on getting magic are something common to mages, but is the rest of the magic more standard? That is, a fire mage, a wind mage, an illusionist, chaos magic, a necromancer, a nature magic type, etc etc would all be valid specialties? (not all at once obviously, just as individual examples) It isn't really clear on that, though it seems to imply as such a good bit.
Last edited by AquaSaber on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AquaSaber
Member for 11 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LostRiver on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:08 pm

That sounds fantastic. I'll be back on tomorrow morning to check back (unless you'd like me to put up a major WIP...) I had the same question about the types of mages as Aqua. I'm not sure if you were planning up on adding that though because you said you still had more to add. In any case, It's looking like fun and I'll bookmark this so that I remember to check back soon!

LostRiver
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Temperance on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:32 pm

You are welcome to make WIPS, it makes things easier, I think.
Well I am still debating with the magic. I hate putting limitations on people with things like fire magic, wind, etc and forcing them into that category. I was thinking of making there types that revolved around either support, enhancement, weakening/supressing, offensive - various types.

I kind of want people to come up with interesting different kinds of magic not strictly related to an element, but still need to be within some kind of category.

Mmm I need to gnaw over this for a bit unless anyone else has suggestions.

EDIT: Aqua, well even though they are an adult I am not sure as I feel like their skill would also depend on their 'teachers' skil, and then where did they learn from? I think they could easily be rank 2, and you'll need to give me something pretty damn magical for rank 1B. We shall see. It would have to depend on your back information, honestly. I dont want a bunch of godly unranked mages that have gone into hiding, taught by mysterious ever powerful teachers, though. Just throwing that out there the rest of you. Going into hiding and remaining unranked for so long I am going to make illegal, so work that into your story.

Temperance
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Renmiri on Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:49 pm

This looks pretty great-- I'm definitely interested in making a human Hunter (got to represent the minority, right?). I know there's probably a lot of info coming, but I'll just go ahead and ask some Q's:

Is magic more generally integrated in life than technology is, in this world? You mentioned guardians etc., so it sounds like magic is advanced to some degree. Is there anything developed to help level the playing field between witches/wizards and normal humans? -- Or basically, how do hunters go about their business without getting kicked around?

You were probably going to mention this stuff, but I figured knowing would give me more time to mull things over. In any case, I'm looking forward to how this will turn out!

Renmiri
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Temperance on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:06 pm

@ Ren

Well yes and no. For those who have it it is. Technology is more or less as we know it today, probably with more edgy looking refinements, though. For mages though yes it is, but remember that mages are currently the minority, there are lots of groups of them (circles), but most people don't use magic and thus the 'world' does not revolve around it. For mages their day to day life may be different and their technology may be magically enhanced or have spells in place OF technology. Do you see what I'm very scatterbrainly getting at? However, mages may also live like normal people.

For hunters, yes they would have something that would level their playing field a bit and it should vary per hunter or hunter society. I am thinking along the lines of technology they created on their own not released to the general public so no one knows about it. They have been quieted down, so to speak, for quite some time thus could have come up with such a thing without people knowing - hell, people don't know they even exist anymore. Those who did, probably died. Think along the lines of weapons, gadgets, and etc that were mechanically engineered to be kind of anti magic and either weaken or nullify it (or perhaps have some kind of protection effect, forcefields). Or weapons and items of rather higher technology, that does things normal technology cannot. Go crazy with this technology but i mean, within reason.

Basically for the hunters, i want them to have been planning for all of this to happen, and thus have been developing a higher level of technology and misc underground (so to speak).

Temperance
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AquaSaber on Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:52 pm

Yeah, understandable. Part of why I was worried and asking about what sort of equivalency would be reasonable. I was actually thinking that their teacher (whomever they are. I still need to give it a great deal more thought details wise. I'll have it all nice and detailed after I throw up the app.) might have registered, causing a bit of a rift between teacher and student, but not so great that the former would report the latter.

It would be more of an old shame for the mentor rather than creating a large group or network of absurdly powerful unregistered mages, especially if their mentor had continued teaching them for a year or two even after while trying to convince them that the system was worth it by showing them the advantages of a strong central power and shared knowledge. Maybe a familial connection either adopted or by blood that makes turning them in something they can't bring themselves to do even after they ended up splitting entirely.

Sorry buuut, another few questions.

Is it conceivable that someone skilled in illusions and such coould fake a low level ranking mark for the purposes of blending in and making low level magic use not as suspicious until someone did some digging.

Aaand, roughly how many spells should we be specifying in the primary field/secondary fields? Depending on skill of course.

Are the characters limited to only listed spells, or allowed to cast a few standard utility stuff within their fields without having to actually specify they have it?

Are spells all a set... well... Spell with specific triggers and effects, or can they also be innate magical abilities gained through study. A powerful mage aligned with the wind with the ability to fly, for example. Or a mage that is deep in the study of the manipulation of fire and has become resistant or immune to it.

AquaSaber
Member for 11 years
Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LostRiver on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:05 am

So I put up a super duper quick WIP. It might not make sense and I actually meant to PM you about something that I put in there, but I'm about to fall asleep at my computer. Anyway, I'll work on it tomorrow, but I kinda posted it just so that I don't forget to come back to it ^^ Hope that's alright.

LostRiver
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Temperance on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 am

That's perfectly fine, no worries.
Also, I would like to note that for magic.

Magic will be sorted into categories/types as follows:

Alvistiar: Supportive (Offensive) (Going to throw weakening types of magics into this as well).
Elvistior: Supportive (Defensive)
Nivior: Self Enhancing
Brawan: Offensive
Xephereal: (unnammed magics) (magics that create things, illusions, objects, magic that does not directly cause harm nor defend.)

This means your main magic must fall into the same kind of general category.
It is not possible to learn from all five branches or even four of them. At lower and mid ranks if they happened to be of the rarity that branched already, it will have been into one other 'type'.

EDIT: Currently working to create a type of anti mage religion, as well as a position on mages in current religions.
Also currently working on the hunters society. While some of them hunt to kill and some hunt for money, there is also a greater movement of within the hunters societys (and certain ones mind you) that seek to 'purge' the mages of magic as well as others that experiment on them.

Temperance
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Layla on Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:01 am

Hey everyone! I'm Layla (no way) and I'll be your co-pilot, writer and tyrant (I mean, game master) for our journey. Temp's done a phenomenal job of developing a detailed, realistic and entertaining story for us to become a part of and for that, she deserves a round of applause and, like, triple chocolate chip cookies.

From what I've glimpsed from my (totally not creepy) profile stalking (not Aqua's though, you remain a mystery,) we have a great bunch of literary geniuses. You know what this means, right? We're going to kick some serious RP ass together. Not just as a team of writers but a family. People will stare, awed by our literary prowess but that isn't the point to this volatile ride we will conquer, no, my lovelies, we write to communicate. We write so that we may see within our kaleidoscope of neuronal connections a purpose, a destiny, and for a lot of Gateway lag but whatevs. /end inspirational speech.

Feel free to hit me non-violently with queries, gifts (I, like, love stationary), your heartache, ideas, or any and all inappropriate flirtations. Haha no I'm kidding not really. But no, seriously, talk to me. My primary role is that of Non-Ass Bouncing Board for Ideas, Opinions Opional, or Nabbioo for short.

Layla
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LostRiver on Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:12 am

Hey there! I'm back again with a question! So about the types of magic, would a mage learn one category of that magic and then move onto another. For example, would a Rank 2 mage have mastered Xephereal and is now moving onto Nivior or Elvistior or whatever.... OR are those just general categories that magic falls under and mages learn how to use a sort of subcategory for 4 or 5 of the categories (like learning how to using water or air offensively, defensively, and to create illusions but not to enhance oneself). I'm not sure if that really makes sense. If not, I can try to clear up what I'm asking...

Also, if a guardian is "limited in one area" does that mean that it can only be offensive, defensive, or one of the categories you mentioned? This is pretty much the same as my above question, but for a guardian.

Alright and my last one... Would it be alright if my character had a staff of sorts that she carried around with her that helped her to sort of guide or direct her magic? It would not be an enchantment because it would not be magical in any sense, but it would only help her to direct her magic.

I'm sorry if none of this makes sense! Haha! I've got a bit of a fever that is making me sort of delirious. Haha! If you don't understand my horrible explanations, then I'll just PM you and try to explain it better. ^^

LostRiver
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby No-one-special on Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:51 pm

Oh man. I remember you temp, back from Layla's Fairy RP. I was that depressed accountant.

I'm interested. I might join as a hunter- or I might take away all his powers and make him a human- I don't know if what I have in mind might be a bit too over powered, I'm not really used to making people that can fight on par with magic and serious warriors.

Quick question though: I plan for my character to be a foreigner and a philosopher who wrote a book in his 30's on egoism in the middle of a pseudo communist state-who's lack of productive workers because they all leave and wealth redistribution ended up costing him his mothers life since they only had the most poorest health care and wasn't allowed to amass money for his own benefit and lack of merchants/private business to trade with because the heavy regulations drove them all away-

so he has a political background, I also plan to give him a bit of a spiritual background-to skip a long story he ends up having to travel on his own in the cold and he ends up delirious believing that a folk lore monster is stalking him and he turns himself over to a small tribal religion while in the middle of his fever dream like state which has a serious impact on his fear of all things to do with death and spiritual, all this happens in his home land.

Is it cool that I make this lore up about his distant home land, it going to be a poor as penny state that no one really cares about except the foreigners actually in it. The biggest thing that happen to that place to make it recognizable on the map would of been his book on philosophy. Oh, and he's a turkish Wrestler. Because I am determined to have at least one of these guys.

No-one-special
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prinny on Sun Dec 08, 2013 2:42 pm

OHMYGODTHISRPLOOKSSOCOOL! *Pauses to wipe the droll from her lips*

I'm excited! I think I'll definitely be submitting a character. :)
It's going to be a great pleasure roleplaying with all of you. :D

If only Xunna was here, then the three gods could rise again! >:D
At least, that's what my brother would say. :P
Last edited by Prinny on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Prinny
Member for 11 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Flexar on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:02 pm

Welp, I was trying to spend more time doing real life stuff than roleplaying, but then this happened. I'll be submitting a character for the 1B spot, providing that seekers aren't classified as hunters.

Flexar
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!