Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

A Question of Too Many Roleplays vs Dedication

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

A Question of Too Many Roleplays vs Dedication

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Mon Jul 04, 2011 7:08 am

I had this thought yesterday and it's apparent happens a lot. Essentially people are so eager for roleplay they tend to overload themselves with too much roleplays. It makes dedication very hard. Not only this but because of this many people drop out roleplays because they can't handle the amount of workload --- due to fact many of us have work, education or other responsibilities.

So it's a question of keeping a measure of what's good amount, but not too much for ya to handle.

My opinion is this.

One roleplay by yourself or two with at least 1 GM.

Three roleplays by other people.

After that it get hard in my opinion.

Just my thoughts.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Re: A Question of Too Many Roleplays vs Dedication

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sciamancer on Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:28 am

I tend to only play in a few RPs at a time. Two is what I'm currently doing, and if I'm already in one or two RPs, I won't join more unless I really like the idea. Definitely no more than four, and I'd try to have three or less. I could probably handle as many as you're talking about most of the time, but what I'm worried about is when it isn't "most of the time."
1. Join ASCO
2. Fight the monster.
3. Protect the people.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sciamancer
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Adrian_S on Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:19 am

I try to stick with one roleplay, that way I can fully, and I mean fully dedicate myself to it. However, if my initial roleplay is going slowly, I'll pick up in a smaller, just started roleplay and try to revive it. Either way, I only want to/have the time to dedicate myself to one game.
I'm a sadist, a mediator, and a backseat moderator.

Get used to it.

Adrian_S
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dionkar336 on Mon Sep 05, 2011 3:44 am

I say join as many roleplays AS YOU KNOW YOU CAN HANDLE for the entire run of the roleplay. Currently, I am involved in 3, possibly 4 roleplays. I can handle this. Unless another roleplay really catches my attention (unlikely, as many of the rp's just causally posted are of... lackluster quality), i do not intend to join anymore at the moment. I stay devoted to any rp I join, so I do not join rp's lightly, like some people.
I see myself as an intelligent, sensitive human, with the soul of a clown which forces me to blow it at the most important moments.

dionkar336
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:36 pm

I tend to join only one or two at a time. I have a heavy course load and usually can only post in the afternoons, evenings are always up in the air.
I personally have never really had a RP of mine take off, but I do enjoy other's ideas and participating in their RP's.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!