Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Dino?!

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Dino?!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:08 pm

What silliness? Do you mean Village Alchemist post a pic for an example of what he meant? Lighten up and chill Kestrel, if there's no humor, then this will just turn into a hate debate.

Anyways, it would be every easy to find professionals to break into the museum to steal the bones/DNA. Who ever wants those bones to make dinos will have enough money to hire those willing to use any means necessary to get the DNA from them.
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:05 pm

Irish Wolf wrote:What silliness? Do you mean Village Alchemist post a pic for an example of what he meant? Lighten up and chill Kestrel, if there's no humor, then this will just turn into a hate debate.

Or it could turn into a regular debate, which is what the "Discussion & Debate" forum is for.

But I've kinda' already made all the debating points I've got, so.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:32 am

IrishWolf, 'Lighten up and chill' is one of the most misplaced things you can say to someone on the internet you;
1, Don't know.
2, Can't see.
3, Can't hear.
For obvious reasons. Please don't do this again k?

Anyway, read through the entire topic. The points Village Alchemist made received the mentioned 'hate debate-treatment', albeit a rather weak state of it. And apparently I'm ruining everyone's fun. Where as nobody has problems with dino pets and Jurassic Park theories in a 'discussion and debate topic' (!) If losing a 'sense of humour' means everyone is going to throw insults at each other, it is not my problem, it's the community's problem. And that would be a pretty mean insult considering the fact that the main page of roleplaygateway it states;
Roleplaygateway wrote:Here's the deal. Register now, then post an introduction, and we'll show you why we're better than Gaia, RPGChat, Anime-Forums, and every roleplay site you've been to.
And though I have strong doubts about Gaia (troll target #1 in the RP'ing community), quite a few roleplay sites do have proper discussion and debate sections. So I sincerely hope you are not serious.

Now I'm relatively new to this particular forum and maybe you have other ideas about discussion and debate than I do, but where I come from, debate means;
dictionary.reference.com wrote:1. a discussion, as of a public question in an assembly, involving opposing viewpoints

And discussion means;
dictionary.reference.com wrote:an act or instance of discussing; consideration or examination by argument, comment, etc.

Now, of course I'm not discussing 'dinosaurs' now either, but come on... Is it too much to ask to use a discussion and debate forum for what it should be used for? If you want silliness, fine by me but post it in forum games. A single reply, OK sure, but if the majority of the replies consists out of silly remarks... Well you should've caught my drift by now.
Do you come from a land down under?
Where women glow and men plunder?
Can't you hear, can't you hear the thunder?
You better run, you better take cover.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:18 am

My topic is staying "here" and if you have an issue with that speak to my GM leader or an admin.

Fact is, there are ALWAYS going to be "silly" comments in conversations. Just because "YOU" have issues and consider it a game does not mean everyone else should agree. So please, back off some.
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:28 am

Myrin wrote:My topic is staying "here" and if you have an issue with that speak to my GM leader or an admin.

I don't contact an administrator or 'GM leader' ever, unless the person I am discussing with is completely unreasonable. This is your choice as a moderator so I won't continue on that. The rest of your post however;

Myrin wrote:Fact is, there are ALWAYS going to be "silly" comments in conversations.

Kestrel wrote:A single reply, OK sure, but if the majority of the replies consists out of silly remarks...

Myrin wrote: Just because "YOU" have issues and consider it a game does not mean everyone else should agree. So please, back off some.

Kestrel wrote:'Lighten up and chill' is one of the most misplaced things you can say to someone on the internet you;
1, Don't know.
2, Can't see.
3, Can't hear.

Replace 'Lighten up and chill' with 'Just because "YOU" have issues'.

And trust me, if you want to exchange insults with someone, I'm the wrong person.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Fri Sep 12, 2008 10:52 am

I think it would be nice if none of us were exchanging insults at all....

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:34 pm

It would Village but that goes against human nature. Kestral, people were expressing their "viewpoints" and guess what? Some turned out to be silly or childish. That does not mean this is a game, we do have quite a number of younger members, who may not be up for a hardcore scientific debate and simply put out what they hoped would happen should dinos get cloned.

Anyways, back on topic, it all depends on just what critter they can get complete DNA from. I don't really see the need to bring back predators from the past, we have enough to compete with, each other. Now if it was of a threat to my garden then myself, sure bring it back, maybe we can eat it. Maybe we could use them to end the famine that always seems to pop up in Africa.

I really don't see these animals surviving long outside of a highly controlled environment anyways, as Village Alchemist pointed out, the little nasty things that make us sick have had millions of years to grew and get stronger since Dinosaurs roamed the earth. I bet most would be dead within days of escaping.

Then again, humans do stupid things, just because we can. Unless government and citizen watchdogs were breathing down the scientists necks, I bet they would clone some top predator and it would get loose, only to cause havoc for a few days before dying, either from gunshots, lack of breath or getting sick.

Now, for something completely silly to balance out this post. It would be wicked sick to ride around on a blinged out raptor. You know what I mean, put sliver and diamond covered grills on their teeth, cover the claws with rings and tones of gold chains.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:10 pm

I don't think that if they even manage to; successfully clone one and keep it alive and somewhat sane, I'm not too familiar with to what extents dinosaurs raised their offspring really, it would be used as anything else than a study object to be honest. Hell it'd be a study on it's own to create such a controlled environment to keep them alive. Even so, that alone could prove very interesting, might even give us some more insight in the different phases of evolution if successful (read: lucky). The flora, atmosphere, minerals, who knows?

BALANCE! and more!

Kestrel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Azuriel on Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:19 pm

actually, if they decide to clone them and bring them back completely... they have a place to keep them... this plaec hold all the elements dnos would need apparently... some jungle idk where lol
Aerodynamically; The BumbleBee shouldn'y be able to fly. The Bumble Bee doesn't know that.

My First egg... Help me out

Azuriel
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Rogue Doll on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:34 pm

I don't even think it is about playing god, really. It's just plain common sense. It is a WASTE of money and resources.

Dinosaurs are friggen HUGE. Or lots of them were, the coolest ones. And they got killed off, anyone wonder why? Well, lots of people did, obviously. What is it with humans and keeping things that should be dead alive? I guess I understand doing it if we are the ones causing it's death, but other than that...

What would be the value of the BILLIONS one would spend to clone a Dino? What would you get out of it??

Also, if they clone it wrong (which is highly likely) it could be very painful for the creature involved. I ask my question again. WHY????
The apple falls far from the tree
she's rotten and so beautiful
I'd like to keep her here with me
and tell her that she's beautiful
She takes the pills to fall asleep
and dreams that she's invisible
Too many dreams she stays awake
recalls when she was capable...

<KyojoKen>: What does riding a bicycle have to do with making love on a couch?
<Vlad>: NOBODY

The Rogue Doll
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:24 pm

*LOVES on Rogue Doll!!* Missed ya, <3 Mid.

They were giving that documentary again on TLC. Dino night or something.

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kestrel on Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:38 am

Good point. But then again, the reason is human curiosity, we're a cruel and spilling species.

Kestrel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Rogue Doll on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:45 pm

*blushes* Mid lurves me. ^.^

...*has nothing to say about the actual topic at hand...*

The Rogue Doll
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:42 pm

Now if it was of a threat to my garden then myself, sure bring it back, maybe we can eat it. Maybe we could use them to end the famine that always seems to pop up in Africa.

Hypothetically, I suppose. But if we had the ability to clone animals on that large a scale (the world's current level of technology and political atmosphere prevent this for now), then it would be far more economical to clone something that is not extinct; the DNA would be easier to get, and the creatures would be easier to keep alive.

In the future, I could see cloned pigs or cattle ending famines, but dinosaurs sound a bit impractical for that purpose.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Syren Song on Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:32 pm

For the record, I'm all for cloning and reviving any extinct animals, including various species of dinosaurs. As is, we have a number of professions aimed at exploring, recovering, studying, excavating, and analyzing dinosaur bones and other artifacts from the Mesozoic era. We will never know everything about these wonderful and unique reptiles without actually seeing and observing them in real life. While this knowledge may not help to shape our future significantly, we are human beings - our main and universal characteristic is curiosity and the desire to know and understand things.

If we can create a Large Hadron Collider in an attempt to learn how the universe was created during the time of the Big Bang, why can't we also create dinosaurs in an effort to study the great creatures that inhabited this planet before us?

Honestly, Hollywood thrives off of over exaggeration. Take rats for example. The word itself any more has an entirely negative energy surrounding it, when, in reality, rats are as intelligent as dogs and as playful and social as them. They are even fully capable of not only learning their name and words, but also learning tricks. (I myself own two rats, so I do know this to be true.) Likewise, with dinosaurs, Hollywood has given them a false attitude with the ever popular Jurassic Park movies. (Don't get me wrong - I'm a huge fan of those films.) While the movies themselves may be entertaining to watch (along with other similar movies like Lost World - no, not the second Jurassic Park movie), the excitement surrounding them is blown out of proportion. Could you honestly see a park opening up with live dinosaurs without taking proper precautions, thus resulting in a blood bath? I can't even see a park opening up, period. I would imagine, if dinosaurs were to be cloned, they would be kept under close observation to be studied at all times.

In short, I don't see an issue with cloning dinosaurs. I'd be very curious myself to see real pictures and videos of an actual dinosaur. It would certainly be a grand day in human history, and one in which I'd rejoice.
♥Willow Waters♥
    7th year Ravenclaw, Half-Blood

Syren Song
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:26 am

Rats had a bad name long before Hollywood was founded, Syren Song. They have a tendency to, you know, steal our food. And spread diseases. And make annoying sounds in hollow walls. And poop everywhere.

The word "rat" has a negative energy around it because they're nasty little bastards whose only use to me is providing sadistic entertainment for my cats. >:-[

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Syren Song on Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:57 am

If you're referring to the Black Plague, it wasn't rats that were the cause of spreading the disease, but rather the fleas on them that were the culprits, which also infested a number of other animals in addition. However, this discussion isn't centered around the likability of rats, so I spare the debate. I was simply making an analogy. If you'd like further proof on the appealing nature of fancy rats, I'd suggest visiting GooseMoose Pet Portal.

Syren Song
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Sun Sep 21, 2008 12:58 pm

Vexar wrote:
DCLXVI wrote:Cloning is not playing God, by my standards. It's manipulating nature...

Lol.. Contradictory statement there.

Humans, by nature, play 'god' we decide the fates of others with every decision we make v.v;

xD 100% truth. By those standards, the vaccines we develop, the machines that keep people on life support, the sciences we use to advance the growth of our crops, the way organized society punishes the unlawful, etc etc etc... All forms of manipulating our world in some way to fit our needs/wants. We play "God" all the time. I was having a conversation with my hair dresser the other day. I told her that they have successfully grown universal (type O negative) blood in labs, which will greatly improve our stores of blood in hospitals and the like all over the world (considering blood does indeed have a shelf life, and there's always some little risk of "bad blood.") She said that it made her uncomfortable because it was like playing God. I told her, the very fact that we take and store blood to use in transfusions and any other form of medical procedure is already playing God by those standards. Will she deny a dying man the ability to regain blood lost in a terrible car accident just because the blood on-hand for him was developed in a lab? Of course not. She saw her contradiction.

The same goes for Dinosaur cloning, really. "Playing God" isn't much of an argument. What is a valid concern, however, is how not a single animal species on this planet has ever been forced to deal with living with dinosaurs. It would absolutely destroy our ecosystems as we know them now. However, adaptation and evolution may also allow how ecosystems to change, thereby replacing the old ecosystems and altering to fit this new set of reptilian species.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!