Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

First Come First Serve vs. GM Picking Characters

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Re: First Come First Serve vs. GM Picking Characters

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Crichton on Thu May 18, 2017 7:05 am

Blackbird26 wrote:Hm, I don't know how much worth there is to my two cents here since I've been running the same RP series for the past six years.

First of all, teach me your ways.

Blackbird26 wrote:(...) And when I say 'best', I mean the character I feel has the most creative potential, the player I feel is most open to collaboration and less likely to cause needless drama with other players, and a number of other things that will help things run smoothly along the way. So yeah, I expect you to fill out a character sheet the way I want it, but I'll also PM you about your character and run ideas by you to see how you react and how you may or not add to those ideas. I'm going to either like you or I won't, and that's going to play a part as well. I'm going to demand some effort from you, but I'm also going to put in an effort to work with you, and if that results in nothing, well, we tried. *shrug*

See, this is kind of what I'm trying to get at, though. I mean there is still an element of reservation in there, but I'd prefer for GMs to be more comfortable with working with characters they might not be immediately happy with. I'm much more for encouraging communication between GM and player without this strange boss-employee relationship implied by applications, which you seem to avoid at least to a small degree. Overall I don’t like the idea that we shouldn’t give chances to people who we don’t find “good enough”– but I wouldn't want anyone to play with someone they can't get along with.

I'd like to encourage people to give more chances, I guess is what I'm saying.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Crichton
Member for 8 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Recruiter Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Thu May 18, 2017 9:58 am

I am pretty much on the same page Crichton. Recently I joined a new RPG that did have roles that were first come first serve. However the GM had a few rules about reserving a role- 1st was the right to deny the player the role, 2nd was creating a time limit in creating a character profile. I am all for creating a time limit when it comes to these things because it is a way to see if a person is interested in joining the RPG. The time limit here is 72 hours and someone already has almost ran out of time.

Also I want to thank everyone for contributing to this topic. It's something that's been on my mind recently and it's great to get impute from different perspectives.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Blackbird26 on Thu May 18, 2017 10:05 am

Crichton wrote:First of all, teach me your ways.

Ha. If I ever figure out how I did it. ^^

Crichton wrote:I'd prefer for GMs to be more comfortable with working with characters they might not be immediately happy with.

I think that's a fine sentiment, but in the end of the day, I think the GM's role is to make whatever decisions they believe is best not only for the story but for the enjoyment of everyone involved. And in the end, there's no set way to do that. I've accepted players and characters into my RPs despite not feeling entirely confident in my decision (and not all of them were new or inexperienced players tbh) and it inevitably led to me having to jump through hoops to make them fit in because they weren't communicating with other players, disrupting the story for the sake of one person, and messing with not only my fun but other players'. And that led me to... Trust my instincts a bit more in future endeavors.

Crichton wrote:I'm much more for encouraging communication between GM and player without this strange boss-employee relationship implied by applications

I think the formality people associate with character applications is a fault on the people involved and not the application process. If you treat it like a job application, then that's what'll be.

Like I said, it's only fair for the GM to put in the effort to get to know the players and incorporate their characters into the story, but it's also not fair for the GM to be forced to hold someone's hand while they should also be running the RP for everyone else.

I guess what I'm saying is that I agree with you that people should give new players chances, but realistically... You can't give them to literally everyone and also keep things on a somewhat even level.
"Real power comes not from hate, but from truth."

Blackbird26
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Tipworthy

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!