Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

What makes a book a classic?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

What makes a book a classic?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tayah12 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:48 am

I was asked this the other day by a good friend of mine who also has a keen interest in writing and for a while we were sort of stumped by this question. What does it take for a book to become a classic? We decided that it was how the book can remain relevant throughout the years, and the morals that the book has inside.

My idea of what makes a good book is being original and having a certain message underneath it. Books like To Kill a Mockingbird and Oliver Twist have always stuck in my mind because of the characters and messages that were put across in it (that's only to name a few but I can't list every book I've ever read like that here :P)

So go on then, what to you makes a book a classic? Is it how original the plot line is, or how the problems they face are timeless and many people can relate to them? Also What is your favorite classic book?
Love animals?

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/straight-from-the-horse-mouth-t59146.html A story of the struggles of horses in the Victorian Era, or the ignorance of their masters...

Tayah12 wants You! To enlist and fight in The Battle Of The Somme

http://www.roleplaygateway.com/roleplay/battle-of-the-somme/

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

tayah12
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: What makes a book a classic?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:03 pm

I don't know what really makes a classic. The books that I love the most have very little in common, so it's difficult for me to nail down specifics that really put them over the top.

Rebecca
East of Eden

Those will always have a special place in my heart.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:06 pm

In my opinion, a book becomes a classic when it can appeal to anyone of any age anywhere in the world.

Examples: The Chronicles of Narnia, CS Lewis
The Lord of the Rings, JRR Tolkien
Redwall, Brian Jaques

I could go on, but I won't :D

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:07 pm

Books that make a classic- like Shakespeare's plays which are classic and a lot of books are like, based off of, are books that are seen as timeless. A book like Grapes of Wrath is used in todays classrooms to show what it was like back in the Great Depression and yet, some people can still claim to understand that family, to know what they are going through - to live what they are living, but to a smaller scale.

At the same time, Fairytale's are classic- we have tons of books, different versions, movies. They've been told time and time again- everyone knows about cinderella, goldie locks, sleeping beauty.

I personally think, what makes a classic is the ability to understand the text, get involved into it, and have it be passed down. Have your book- or at least the basic concepts in it, known by most people. I mean, at one time, didn't ever little girl want to be a princess, and every little boy want to slay a Dragon? (Or, vice versa).
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tayah12 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:39 pm

Hm. I can see that, especially Shakespeares 'Romeo and Juliet' has been twisted and modified in every way possible to make a story, it seems that people like to read about forbidden love, I can even see the basis of Twilight *shudders* is based on forbidden love.

Personally my English teacher (Who we called Dragon behind her back for certain reasons) really put me off Shakespeare and I used to detest it (maybe because none of us did what we were told but those were good times). Although on reading his plays in my own time I've come to appreciate his work much more.

And again with Fairytales, I think the main word there is 'timeless' as those are stories that in someway people can relate to, like you said Saken, a lot of little girls (and a lot of older women) have always wanted to be swept away by their prince charming so it's how the reader or listener can become involved with the character's situations that really make the stories so appealing.

But like XavierDantius32 said it what appeals to many people, it's the same reason why Harry Potter has been so successful even though it was a child's book.

Actually some books that are deemed as 'classics' in my opinion are completely boring. I'm actually staggering through the first few chapters 'Lord of the flies' and I'm finding it quite boring to read. Some people may disagree but it's probably down to how people have different tastes and writing styles. Personally I'm not all that into fantasy such as Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings, but I loved Dracula which I thought was brilliantly written (I know Dracula isn't technically classed as Fantasy but I hope you get my drift :P)

tayah12
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sciamancer on Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:25 pm

Certain themes usually cause a horrible uproar among overprotective parents when a book with said themes is used as a teaching tool in public schools. A book becomes classic when it can use those same themes that would usually cause an uproar without causing an uproar.

Or at least that's basically what my English teacher told us when I once asked her "Why do we read these old books? What makes them special?"
1. Join ASCO
2. Fight the monster.
3. Protect the people.
4. ???
5. Profit.

Sciamancer
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:43 am

A book becomes a classic when it's old.

Derp. =3

But, in all seriousness, I definitely agree that a book truly becomes a classic when it fulfills two certain requirements. First off, it has to have the ability to stay relevant throughout the years. As in, the book has to be able to appeal to people in any age(by age I refer to era of time) of any age(the years one has been alive). It has to be able to appeal to young, median and old readers.

Secondly, it has to be widely known. Sadly, as much as certain books are able to appeal to the young, median and older readers it has to be known well enough by people to be a book of commonplace knowledge. You can talk about a book you and a few others like and all that jazz but if it's unknown by the general public it's not exactly something of 'classical nature'.

Now onto my fav types of books: Mysteries. God I love em. Murder mysteries lead that but disappearing mysteries or strange coincidences fit there too. If I'm given a situation and the clues of it and am able to solve, or at least academically guess or reason, the solution then it was a good book. I say that because there have been a few out there where they'll tell you the situation but when they 'solve' everything there was nearly nothing at all that could've helped the reader to rationalize the answer. Pfft.
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gryazi on Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:22 am

An observation I've had with many classics is that the style they're written is is particularly unique.
There are three kinds of people, those who can count and those who can't.

Gryazi
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jerico Do'Lantul on Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:51 am

What makes a book a classic? Some say time, others might say it's staying power; the ability to remain relevant for years to come. Yet, in my eyes, only one thing can truely make a book, no matter the size or the scope, an instant classic. The ability to inspire.

Many books, such as Tolkien's LotR, inspired entire generations to express their creativity by not only branching off of the fantastic world he created, but to create their OWN worlds. Nearly every book ever written, every videogame, graphic novel or boardgame, was inspired by works of art and creativity written many decades ago. Though the nuances may feel familiar, the way that they are presented, and the context in which they are fashioned, make them feel as if we are experienceing them for the first time, inspiring us to be more creative, as a result, and making those iterations classics in their own right.

In the end, it is this unmeasurable quality in books that will decide whether or not they become "classics", in my opinion.
You Scored as Neutral Good
A Neutral Good person tries to do the 'goodest' thing possible. These people are willing to work with the law to accomplish their goal, but if the law is corrupt they are just as willing to tear it down. To these people, doing what's right is the most important thing, regardless of rules, customs, or laws.

Jerico Do'Lantul
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:48 pm

I have a question. A lot of you are saying that to be a classic, the book has to have a universal appeal. However, and perhaps I just don't know enough, I see quite a few books considered "classic" that are widely disliked, at least from my experience. I could probably count on my hands the number of people I've met that enjoyed Grapes of Wrath.

So, have I just happened upon these people that don't like it by chance, or is it possible for books that have lost their appeal to remain "classic"?
<3

Queen of Ice
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Midnyte Rose on Sat Jul 23, 2011 2:19 am

For me the classics encapsulate all areas of human emotion, they're funny, tragic, romantic, depressing, hilarious, uplifting, violent, everything. Case in point, Nabokov's Lolita.

Midnyte Rose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:16 am

I loved the Grapes of Wrath.. >.> <3

A lot of people probably hate Classics because, as you take english in school, they demand that you -read- these classics, and a lot of people despise being told what to do and, through that, learn to despise the classics via before forced to read them.

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nevan on Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:17 am

Lord of the Rings FTW. Too long to read in school.

Nevan
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Queen of Ice on Sat Jul 23, 2011 9:10 pm

Saken wrote:I loved the Grapes of Wrath.. >.> <3

A lot of people probably hate Classics because, as you take english in school, they demand that you -read- these classics, and a lot of people despise being told what to do and, through that, learn to despise the classics via before forced to read them.

Haha, I knew there had to be someone out there. I'm pretty sure even my teacher back when I had to read it for school said she didn't like it.

Queen of Ice
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: What Makes A Book A Classic

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tea on Sat Jul 23, 2011 10:02 pm

By the very word classic one understands that the book in question possesses the qualities necessary to be loved many years, and perhaps generations, after it was initially written. While human opinions about these qualities may vary the very concept of classic denotes a literary work which is so excellent above its peers that it becomes a traditional standard against which other, lesser, works are measured.

Tea
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:08 pm

I think a lot of people despised Grapes of Wrath because it hits a little bit too close to home- especially right now, to be honest. That and the displays of vulgar, horrific behavior that was shown to these migrant workers (which, a lot of people actually associate as workers from a foreign country coming and stealin American jobs) is against what we 'show' and what is expected of us people, as a society.

Fear.

I mean, the migrant workers, to the outsiders, were seen as animals, not worthy of anything, hungry, vacant masses.

They were treated as such.

Do you want that?

Saken
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tayah12 on Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:30 pm

I actually loved Grapes of Wrath, we even watched a film made of it in our History lessons a while ago and it really does show, like Saken said and raise issues about our lives today. John Steinbeck is one of my favourite authors, and I have read his books countless of times because I like how he raises issues within them. Although some of his short stories do tend to have to make me think 'What is he going on about?' which I guess is the fun trying to figure it out.

Also I think that's why a lot of people don't really like reading (I've found) because they're forced to read books in school and write essays on them which is a major turn off. Through my later school years I basically didn't read a lot at all because of school and it's horrible way of making us pick apart each and every metaphor and adjective because I don't believe that is what reading is about. I guess I may sound hypocritical when I say this than comparing it to what I said on Steinbeck but if I didn't want to figure out what the book meant then I wouldn't do it. I've never wanted to analyse Shakespeare so I haven't :P

Black Beauty in my opinion raised a lot of concern of the treatment of animals and it is believed that a lot of it changed because of that book. If it's possible for a book to change the way people think about things, how they act towards one another or the way they view the world then I think it's all well entitled to a title of a 'classic. When you can entertain Adults and children alike while raising major issues then I think the author did a pretty good job.

tayah12
Member for 13 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!