Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

When We Die

When We Die

a part of “When We Die”, a fictional universe by Ashes-6695.

This town has a bad reputation for deaths, ever since a shooting that took place over a hundred years ago. What no one knows, however, is that it has been the same group who loses their lives each time. [dead]

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “When We Die”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: When We Die

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Savader on Sat Apr 13, 2013 4:27 pm

I honestly loved the sound of When We Die. There wasn't anything wrong with it, in my opinion. But if there was one thing I could think of, that might help your future RPs, Ashes, it would be for you to try not to tie people down with already mapped out characters... That was what LittleMissGeorgia apparently had an issue with. She said that she tried to write her character's sheet over and over again, but kept hitting roadblocks because of the outline you set for her character. It's MUCH easier for people to freely create their character from scratch, without having anything restricting them, and MUCH harder to create one based off of another person's outline.

I checked out that new RP of yours, and as for the ROLES, such as being a King or a Knight, I think that's fine. But determining their traits and their personality kiiiind of takes away the magic of creating a character for yourself... It sort of feels like you're just filling someone else's shoes, in a way. Even I had a little trouble with Nathan's character on this one... I struggled, but still managed to come up with someone as close to how YOU described he should be, as I could. However, if the role had simply been "Boy 1", with no other pre-determined outline for his character, I would have been able to create someone a lot more interesting.

And just so we're clear, I'm not attacking you or anything. I mean, I'm on your side. But if there was anything that I think you should change about how you run your RPs, that's the ONLY thing I can think of that would be an actual problem. If I were you, I'd make character slots very simple. For example, "Knight 1. Is King 1's knight.", period. Let the person who takes the slot, decide on the character's gender and personality, as well as their other traits. Trust me, it's not going to take away anything from the world you created, and the players will feel more like they actually DID something of their own volition. And in terms of relation to other characters, whether by blood or history, should be discussed between one player and another.

Freedom is everything when it comes to writing fiction, and when you take that away from character creation, it makes it hard to come up with something you can work with fluently. Being too restricted just takes a lot of the interest in one's character away, is all. Other than that, I have no clue as to why people wouldn't like your RPs... They're all pretty interesting, and well-written.

"You see... I'm not mad. CHAOS isn't mad. I've SHOWN you the REAL WORLD. Shown you CHAOS. And hopefully you went sane. But killing chaos... you can't kill CHAOS. And you can't keep it locked up for long..."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Savader
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Re: When We Die

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ashes-6695 on Sat Apr 13, 2013 7:40 pm

yes, i have had some decent results when i place very simple characters slots. Which was what i did with my rp Assassination Game, and placed only code-names for people to choose and create a character that something to do with the name. I sort of got into the whole deal about outlining characters because i needed those kinds for a character balance. I dunno, i kinda tell people that the outlines are mostly a suggestion. And like my new one that didn't even make it out of the starting gate, the slots placed are more of a history. Its sort of a thing I do about my details being vague, but i made it so gender was an option for everyone to pick if they wanted to change it, and disposition can change the overall personality of the character as it was set in the outline.

just putting boy 1 makes it so vague who knows what would have been submitted? I've had such a problem with very detailed rps like this one getting characters that are unlikely to be in a situation... or just repeat types of characters. It depends on the type of storyline i'm writing what I end up putting for roles. Like, i did no set roles for Assassination Game and Borrowed Strength. it mostly depends whether the plot is a close group plot (something more specific) or a wider plot that can branch into sub-plots. sometimes theres a method to the madness, even if the madness doesn't work out, haha

The one I wanted to write was a gang rp. Which meant the only slots would be the coloured gangs and the leaders, and then lower ranking members would fill in the groups, and the rest of the gang members would end up being NPCs. but then the main restriction would be that a specific personality type would probably be related to each gang, because each coloured gang has an affiliated element. So like, fire = hot headed. y'know? I'm just not even sure i should bother with it though... Cause even my role-free rps fail after time v_v personally I absolutely LOVED Assassination Game, but everything i love dies /cry/

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ashes-6695
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!