Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Alice In Wonderland

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Alice In Wonderland

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lerro on Sun Jan 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Is anyone actually looking forward to this movie? I look at the poster and just see a sick looking clown dude with a weird hat that says "Alice in Wonderland" underneath and I think, how the heck does Tim Berton still have a job doing this kind of thing?
(\ /)
( . .)
(")(") This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination. He has a cameo on Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lerro
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Alice In Wonderland

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kaoru_chan on Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:15 pm

Thats mean. Tim Burton is an excellent writer and movie creator. Of course, his version of Alice in Wonderland is gonna be an exciting production, and it will show just what he can do. Look at what you did!! You made me get all formal and stuff....
i haven't rp-ed on here in a while, so don't expect any of my older posts to be what i roleplay like now! just a word of warning! <:

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kaoru_chan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:05 am

I dunno, I have my doubts. Why would you remake Alice in Wonderland? It just seems a fair bit strange.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Mon Jan 18, 2010 4:08 am

I, personally, think Tim Burton will do well with this. When I imagine Alice in Wonderland, after watching the film, I belived it could have been totally more..Well, effed up, to put it bluntly. To me it seems like they left it tame. Sure, you have to do acid or something to get it, but it could totally be better.

This new Alice in Wonderland might be something for all ages, less of that kiddy crap and more of an adult, teen, and pre-teen sort of thing. I <3 Cheshire cat, I <3 the thought of some insane dude, and I <3 the thought of some uppity imaginative brat getting what she deserves.
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Adrianna on Wed Jan 20, 2010 3:14 pm

I'm really looking forward to it <33333333
It's all the sort of stuff I like. Alice in Wonderland is awesome and with Tim Burton...<333
Please don't be mean to me T_T ;)
Wherever you are
Whoever you're with
I hope your happy
Because I'm not.

Adrianna
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:26 pm

When I first heard that Tim Burton was remaking Alice in Wonderland my jaw hit the floor. If you can imagine a 7 year old kid who just walked into a candy store and was informed that he can have anything he wants for free... Well, that was me. I really can't think of anyone better to remake this movie than Tim Burton, quite honestly. His crazy style just fits.

My own concern about this movie is Disney's involvement. They would still want it to be a kid friendly film so I'm worried that it will get washed down.

Regardless, though, can't wait to see it :D

EDIT: Have you seen the trailer for it? I think that's a better thing to judge a movie by than a poster.
He who has ears to hear, let him hear
For this is a tale of an ancient kind
In the word there lies existence and the word became flesh
And dwelt among us and we saw its glory
Let him hear it who will

Kai
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nautsabes on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:03 pm

ignore this, double post
Last edited by Nautsabes on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nautsabes
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nautsabes on Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:03 pm

Disney is marketing this as the official sequel to their original animated film. That said, I do not look forward to this film at all. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of Burton's work, but this just doesn't appeal to me like his other films do. I don't mind that it isn't completely grimdark, I understand that with Disney involved he's got a short leash as far as what he can do with it goes, but he still could have done a few things different, I suppose. First of all, I'm a hardcore fan of Alice in Wonderland. The books, the original animated film, American McGee's game, Alice in Wonderland is just my thing, and in Burton's film he's having a romance happening between Alice and the Mad Hatter, or so it would seem, and that's a big no no. To me, the Mad Hatter has always been an insane tea addict uninterested in any sort of romantic relationship. It just wasn't in his character, which brings me to my next point. He isn't crazy in Burton's version. He's just a silly man with goofy hair, and that's possibly the biggest turn off for me. Regardless, I'll end up seeing the film anyways because my fanboyism will demand it.

Nautsabes
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The_Knave on Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:53 pm

I Am actually Looking For ward to this Movie, Though I do As well have My doubts.. Tim Burton Is a Visionary In my eyes, Yes he did Screw up Charlie in the Chocolate Factory but I highly Doubt that he Can Screw up something that is as Weird and Twisted as his own mind. I Also want to See it Because Crispin Glover Is one Of my Favorite Actors along side Depp, Carter and also Rickman.

I have sort of a soft spot for the Knave as well

J<3s

The_Knave
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MoonMan on Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:41 am

I think you should all just shut up and wait for the film to come out before you make any kind of judgement whatsoever.

As well all know Tim is a well established and bloody genius of a Director. He knows that there are people out there who already care about the source material for the film he's making [Unlike that twat that made Dragonball Evolution. What the hell was that all about?] and he knows that if he doesn't do it right [or well, the way you want it to be done, that's how this thread is turning out] then a billion fangirls and boys are gonna burn him at the goddamn stake.

Just give it a chance.
And on the first day Man created God in his own image.

MoonMan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Thu Feb 11, 2010 2:10 am

I saw that it was being made. Johnny Depp I think is the Mad Hatter which seems to be a fitting role. As for the fact that Burton is directing it, it seems a bit strange yes. Then again the only Burton movie I have seen is the Corpse Bride I guess it's to be expected.
The CGI looked great, saw the previews when I went to see Avatar. But 3d tends to make me ill so could we please stop the 3d movies? I'd be happy...

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kai on Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:44 pm

Sorry, nfi, 3D is the big thing now and it's only going to get more prominent. I think I heard something about 3D TV's that are starting to surface. More and more theaters are being revamped with the proper equipment for 3D. It's just the progression of technologies of the modern age.

Sorry for the slight off-topic. Thought I'd just point that out :)

Kai
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Promethean Inspiration

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby PandoraKimblee on Sat Feb 13, 2010 10:25 pm

I don't really know, I was a big fan of Alice in wonderland before I was a Tim Burton one, I'm not too sure if he'll twist it a little TOO far that it just wont hold the same sort of charm, or he wont do enough of his Burton flare. Yet from all the trailers and such...It does look pretty amazing, though he always uses Helena and Depp for his roles, it would be nice to see some new faces.

PandoraKimblee
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby EbonDruid on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:42 am

Well, having seen the film I can simply sat that it was absolutely stunning. As everyone seems to agree, the CGI was stunning, and the film really popped out.
The musical score was also really brilliant. I loved the music from the film - it seemed to be original and still provide that classic sense of 'fairy tale'-ness that a film designed to be a fairy tale really needs.

NB: Possible Spoilers Ahead! I don't mention much explicitly, but it is alluded to.
Plot-wise, I found it odd that the film followed the plot more of "Alice Through the Looking Glass" than "Alice in Wonderland", but then again, I thought it was still quite good. At least it was somewhat original in that respect.
Now, actor-wise, I must admit that I wasn't that impressed. I didn't really like Johnny Depp - maybe because he reminded me too much of Sweeny Todd, but he just didn't seem to quite fit into the role that I'd hoped for. The "White Queen" was also a little... strange. That's all I can really say about her. I believe that the film has a large number of really in-depth characters, each of which had an impossibly amazing backstory and personality (much like a role-play, now that I think about it!) However, these character developments often simply didn't happen, and those that did seemed somewhat under-developed, as though they had much more to show about themselves, or explain about themselves. As a result, I felt that all of the characters were a little bit too one-dimensional. The one exception to this was Alice - I felt that she was simpler than the other characters, and that she was fully explored. The Red Queen was played well, and so was the Cheshire Cat.
One of the other points with which I was disappointed was the ending. I thought that it wasn't quite enough, as though it were not grand enough. The very end was good though - I won't specify for those who do not wish to know anything about it.

All in all, I really enjoyed the film. Perhaps I'm biased, since I love Danny Elfman's music and enjoy Tim Burton films as a whole, but in this one, I felt that the director was almost un-Burtonesque - not that he wasn't kooky and such, but that the film was almost conventional. This was remedied later on in the film, and it soon became the steangely unique kind of Burton film that I have come to know and love.

Hope that little review helped ^_^
That is not dead which can eternal lie
And with strange aeons even death may die.
- HP Lovecraft

EbonDruid
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ~*~emoneko~*~ on Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:50 am

I agree with EbonDruid that the movie was great. I saw the movie and was absolutely amazed!
Oh and on a side note for those who didn't know. Its not a REMAKE!!! Its Alice going BACK to Wonderland (Or Underland if you prefer). So basically, its a mix of Alice in Wonderland and Alice Through the Looking- Glass.
AND just to be a total fangirl..... Johnny Depp was extra amazing!! I would rate his performance in this movie second best out of all he has ever done!!! (First would be Edward Scissor-hands or possible Sweeny Todd)
Image Image Image
Wanting to do a onexone rp of these categories: anime, love, movies, Final fantasy, forbidden loves, more. Pm me if you are interested please!!

~*~emoneko~*~
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Shanatos on Fri Mar 12, 2010 3:09 am

I really enjoyed it. 'Course I usually enjoy movies because I go to see them to take a break and I want to enjoy them.

In retrospect, I feel that I didn't really the typical Tim Burton "everything looks washed out, faded, and gray" type of look. Just not my style.

Also, I don't think Depp was a strong hatter. I mean, he did a good job, but I don't think it stood out enough. He seemed a bit too like Jack Sparrow.

Otherwise, I still thought it was pretty good.

nfi_2616 wrote:I saw that it was being made. Johnny Depp I think is the Mad Hatter which seems to be a fitting role. As for the fact that Burton is directing it, it seems a bit strange yes. Then again the only Burton movie I have seen is the Corpse Bride I guess it's to be expected.
The CGI looked great, saw the previews when I went to see Avatar. But 3d tends to make me ill so could we please stop the 3d movies? I'd be happy...

My theatre doesn't have the 3D tech, and now and then we get complaints about it. For awhile he had signs up saying we had '2D' version, but then people got confused about what '2D' meant.
One person even said "What's the point of seeing it if it's not in 3D?" Cue eyeroll. You did fine with 2D movies up til now, dincha?

Sorry to sound so sarcastic there, but it's kind of a bother. I'm surprised that 3D is so big now...for me the magic wore off after the first few times I saw things in 3D at Imax.

Shanatos
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!