Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Best Character You Have Made As A Roleplayer?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Re: Best Character You Have Made As A Roleplayer?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Tue Aug 19, 2014 4:46 pm

Like others here I find it hard to pick out a single character. There's a bunch that I have made over the years that I'm just amazed by. It makes me feel good to know I can inspire that kind of feeling in myself.

Anyways, one of my best, and favorite, characters is actually one I made on this site. She was a secondary character of mine with a main character's importance to stories, though people had to figure that out through RP and some of it will be left out because of spolilers that have yet to be revealed through RP.

The character, Anodyne "The Ripper", is a Liberian-born mixed race woman. Her father, an ageless god, raised her and her siblings, not all of them blood related, to be potential tools in his plan to change this universe and the next with his own blueprints. He planned to do it all through force, violence, genocide.

This all under the nose of Anodyne's mother, who had thought she had changed her husband. In truth, she had only delayed his plans. His need to destroy and rebirth the known universe was already deeply implanted in the man's very core due to his own experiences over the years.

The children were raised to be extremely loyal to their father, and with his years of experience, resources, and money Anodyne's father enhanced his children's already god-like abilities, be they strength or smarts, to even higher levels using technology and intense training. Even hiring them out to different sides in the civil war that would hit Liberia in the 1980s and 1990s after their mother passed away.

It was the death of that woman, the anchor keeping the father on the level as the mortal he lived with and loved, was gone. Seeing no reason to preserve life as is, the plan was in motion.

But, Anodyne was deeply wounded by the fighting, which she saw as not worth her gifts in favor of either side in the conflict. Anodyne and several of her siblings fled. Others remained with their father, either out of loyalty or fear that anywhere else would be more dangerous than under his protection.

Anodyne split ways with her siblings, a tactic that served to slow down their father in his quest to round them up and return them "home".

Knowing nothing but violence, Anodyne dedicated herself to protecting the weak in Africa as a vigilante, a mercenary and a would-be guardian angel. For a few short years she travelled the dark continent, finding inpsiration in the people she helped, the religions she saw and the lives she preserved.

But, Anodyne could never shake off the bad she'd done on her father's orders. She vowed silence and took more time over the years to adapt to a world she'd never truly known. A world where people didn't always fight, but could be capable of great acts of love and kindess.

It was a stark contrast to the fighting ethnic groups, extremists, and guerrilla iarmies of Africa. Anodyne enjoyed it, but was also frightened by the new experiences. Not that she would ever tell.

It was early in the 1990s when she found herself recruited by a mercenary company called The Invictus. They had a reputation for getting the job done, but not at the cost of their humanity or morals like many other mercenaries. This attracted Anodyne, being able to help people, support herself, and have some sort of stability.

New friends to keep her from going down the same path many like her were so often tempated to take. Her abilities were meant for helping as far as Anbodyne was concerned. She worked comfortably with the Invictus for years, even achieving celebrity for her selfless actions in the field among civilians and her fellow mercenaries.

It was her increased fame that caught the eye of her father. He was determined to bring his daughter back home, no matter the cost. Not matter the lives lost in his almost obsessive pursuit for what was left of the woman he loved.
"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Saarai
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AugustArria on Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:57 am

I feel pretty lucky with how long I've been able to write with some of the same characters, with how far they've been able to develop and grow. So many characters have a ton of effort put into their creation, only to see just four or five (if even that) IC posts before they have to be put aside due to the death of the RP. So, looking back...

I'd have to say Ithilian has been the most rewarding for me to write. I wouldn't say that at the time he was created he was the one I was most proud of, but rather, due to events that I couldn't have possibly predicted at the time, he developed into the character that I most enjoy and am most attached to playing as.

His face claim is that of Iorveth (seen in my avatar, unless you're reading this a year from now and I've changed it), and to be honest, when he was created, I was worried that he wasn't all that much different from the scarred, grumpy old elf he looks like. His people had been largely wiped out, he hated humans, and he was very militant. What I never could have predicted was how he developed. There was a scene upcoming where he, alongside a friend, would be rescuing a young elven girl. I don't remember if I had it planned from the beginning, but I ended up emphasizing a specific loss that occurred for him, that of his wife and daughter. Now that I look back, his development is very similar to that of Joel's from The Last of Us, that of a cold, hardened individual who slowly regains his compassion through the influence of a companion, though I think his changes actually started in that direction before I ever played the game. It's just doubly cool when those companions are other players, making their own decisions.

And his change occurred very gradually, not suddenly, which can be tough to pull off, and I've definitely committed some sudden switch errors in the past. But for Ithilian, his coldness, his racism, his inability to trust, his guilt and his self-hatred from his mistakes, all eroded over time (over the course of a roleplay that's covered around 4-5 years now IC), and they did so because of outside influence, from other players. Experiences like this are why I roleplay, and why I will continue to roleplay for the foreseeable future.
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

AugustArria
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OutlawTorn on Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:16 am

After some consideration, I would have to add Lucavi, Leo Strata, and Raius Damascus.

I mean it's so hard to chose even a handful of the best.

I'm thinking now that my choice to mention Sam Blithe was based solely on the fact that I relate to him as a character on certain levels. His growth and development was inspired from my own growth and development.

But Lucavi definitely deserves a spot near the top of my list.

He's a Pureblood vampire (born of two vampriric parents) from Legacy 1-3. He is a representative of The Vampiric Order, a powerful, clandestine organization of purebloods who govern, monitor, and regulate all vampiric activity around the entire globe.

Lucavi is ancient, perhaps among the oldest vampires on earth. He is cloaked in mystery, shrouded in secrecy. And therefore I cannot go into great detail, but I can discuss him in some detail.

Lucavi is a character inspired by, and basically written for one of my favourite actors, Terry O'Quinn.

He's a stoic, all-business man who is extremely calculating, confident, and precise in his execution of plans, and the manipulation of others. He's a man (like any man of The Order) who is feared by vampires. For the extent of The Order's power and influence knows no mortal bounds. They hold all the keys, and guard all the doors.

Lucavi is a confusing, convoluted man. You know he's evil, manipulative, cunning, and deceitful. You know he's got a plan, and it's not going to be good for the characters around him. But there are times when he seems kind, wise, caring, but only with certain characters. He treats Sam, Alucard, Vlad, and Luther (as 4 particular examples) horribly. It's clear that he dislikes them, and hey, they're not the nicest guys in this story, so it makes sense. But with others like Simon, Alison, Eli-May, he seems to adopt an almost father-figure role. Giving them advice, comforting them, just throwing you off from his usual, menacing self.

He's a man with rich, mysterious origins I've chosen to keep air tight (not unlike Preacher). Things will develop further with Lucavi, and some profound revelations will come to light in Legacy 3 regarding the nature of Lucavi, and how he managed to rise from the dead...

Leo
Name: Leo Strata
Race: Shinjan
Alignment: Wicked
Personality: Leo is a text book psychopath. He rarely shows any form of personality at all. He is a man so broken, so damaged, that he is more dangerous than a nuclear warhead.
History: N/A

Leo is an antagonist character from my Final Fantasy Series. He is featured in FF1-3, and is killed by Lillian Nobunaga in the 3rd story. As he is bleeding to death, Lilly hesitantly removes his mask, revealing a baby-faced young boy. As she looks into his eyes, a single tear rolls down his cheek.

Leo may seem like the stereotype, cheesy OP villain with no personality.

"what a creative cop-out! Right?"

So wrong. To the bland, simplistic eye, Leo may seem like all of these things, and nothing but. However Leo has a story, and a deep one, which brings us to, and justifies his personality.

As a very young boy, his home was destroyed in one fell swoop. The hand of Zenobia is swift and exact. His entire world was slaughtered and reduced to ash before his very eyes. A small group of young boys and girls was spared to be enslaved. For Shinjan warriors are renowned for their god-like prowess on the battlefield.

Leo and Lyra Strata were among those taken captive. Leo, who had been deeply, and profoundly scarred by the massacre of his people, was raised in captivity, and trained to be the Zenobian Agent he is today, although both Leo and Lyra were already fine warriors when the Zenobians took them away.

Leo hides his face, to conceal his emotions, his identity because he feels he has none. His identity was massacred and burned to the ground over a decade ago. He has nothing now but his objective, a misplaced sense of revenge. He has to be stronger, feel nothing, kill more effectively.

Leo is a man with so much damage and so many issues, the world's finest psychologist wouldn't know where to begin with him.

He was designed to show people that the sadistic OP villain can be done properly, and beautifully.

Raius Damascus is a character from one of my first creations as a young, budding story teller. From 1996/7 to about 2004, my fertile imagination pumped out the most detailed, epic story I've ever conceived. It spans over 10,000 mortal years, over 3 planets, and two different Realms of existence (Realm of Myst, or motral realm, and Realm of Rune, or god realm).

Raius Damascus is a mix-blood mortal man living on the planet of Terra. He is half Azurian (from the planet Azure), and half Oracle, a gifted race of Terran men. His father was Herru Damascus, a child sent to protect Terra from the planet Aurora due to an oath sworn by one god to another.

God, I just realized how big of a mistake this was. It'll take me about 20 minutes and 600 words to properly break this character down...

You can kind of see the Superman influence, but I assure you, it's nothing like Superman in an over-all sense.

He's an amazing character. Azure Dawn deals a lot with destiny. It runs SO goddamn deep I don't even know where or how to start.

I'll probably just leave it at this: Raius is a simple man, a knight of Heden who is thrust into a war for the fate of Terra against the Denova Empire, ruled by a tiny portion of Aurorians (from the planet Aurora, and the arch nemesis of the Azure people) who followed the young Herru (who was inside of the Falcon Arrow, a Mech blessed by the god Falcon, and a machine feared by Aurorians) to Terra. Kane, the commander of that Aurorian vessel, pledged to rule this planet in the name of Aurora, ceasing it's rich, abundant resources (because Aurora is so militarized, they've exhausted all of their natural resources, and their planet is dying).

Kane killed Herru, Raius grew up not knowing anything, because Herru's training (he left for Terra at about 12 years old) dictated that he not tell anyone who, or what he is, nor where he came from.

So Raius has no clue he's not 100% Terran, and can acces not only Terran Rune Magic, but Azurian Rune Magic as well.

He fought Kane's son Luseth, who was OP as fuck, badass villain, tragic tale there too.

Raius saved Terra, became a hero, then past lore came into light, forcing an Older Raius to leave his family to travel far north, into and to the top of an ancient Tower built by Terra when she created the planet. This tower was the origin of Terran life, and housed the Orb of Light, the most powerful object on the planet Terra. It controlled the essence of all life. But the mortal man charged with guarding this Orb went mad long ago, causing mass choas for the planet. A group of heroes scaled the tower, killed him, and the orb was left alone.

This caused serious problems in the past, but it was never resolved. Raius resolves it. Having Oracle, and Azurian blood, he can (hopefully) maintain, becoming the protector of Terra...

WOW... Sloppy, but you get the gist of it.
"Love is long-suffering and kind. Love is not jealous, it does not brag, does not get puffed up, does not behave indecently, does not look for it's own interests, does not become provoked. It does not keep account of the injury. It does not rejoice over unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth. It bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things."
—I Corinthians 13:1-7

OutlawTorn
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saarai on Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:31 pm

I've got another one, just because I was talking about the character and thought it would be good to share. Another character of mine, while not made on this site, was fleshed out on this site for the most part.

Like Anodyne she hails from a world that is modern, but has many fantastical elements, past and future, rolled in.

Her name is Fatin Alfarsi, born in Saudi Arabia but raised in Afghanistan during the Soviet invasion and civil war. Her father, Fahim Alfarsi, was a disgraced member of the Saudi Military who decided to carve out his own slice of a tumultuous pie in the southern parts of the war-torn country.

Fatin experienced the Soviet invasion and it's devastating effects on the people she called friends and her family. Stricken with grief from the deaths of brothers, sisters, and nephews, Fatin's mother left for Lebanon where she later passed away.

With no sons, Fahim sent his daughter back to Saudi Arabia for schooling in the 1990s after the Soviets had retreated and he built up a sizeable fighting force in order to preserve his lineage. On occasion Fatin would visit her father, despite travel restrictions.

It was in Saudi Arabia that Fatin grew to love dance, aspiring to move to Great Britain to pursue her dream in an environment that fostered more freedom for girls. But, it didn't take long for Fahim to call his daughter back.

He took advantage of her schooling, having Fatin use her knowledge to outsmart his enemies through their own customs, or the force fed knowledge of military equipment. Later Fahim trained his daughter as a soldier, teaching her various fighting styles he'd learn from foreign fighters and how to fight with conventional military weapons.

He honed her mind to that of a great strategist and tactician, calling her his good luck charm as he decimated and assimilated other rebels and warlords over the course of a year.

Fatin saw little fighting, but one day at the behest of her father she was pushed onto the frontline to lead. The men around her, almost entirely Muslim, didn't appreciate a girl being designated as their commander. They lazily pushed forward on a village, hoping their female commanding officer would take a bullet and open the ranks for someone male to take charge.

Seeing through their faux loyalty, Fatin raised her weapon on her men. She told them to charge as per her orders, or be shot down. The men refused and Fatin killed one and then another. Shocked by her brutality, the men attacked the village.

They quickly forgot that they were being lead by a female as they took the village, wiping out any opposition in a matter of minutes due in part to Fatin's tactical approach. She had waited until much of the defending force had left to check on false reports of an attack.

False reports Fatin had come up with. In the midst of the fighting Fatin found that she enjoyed it, over time becoming one of her father's top commanders. Though her gender made them constant targets from the more radical Muslims.

Unbeknownst to Fatin, her father was slowly succumbing to drugs being shipped into the country by gangsters from Russia, Italy, and other neighboring countries.

During a gathering at her father's compound, at age Fatin was placed in charge of her father's security. He had made many enemies, and despite her father forcing her into a war and causing her to give up her dream, Fatin stood by him.

That was until she caught him using the very drugs forbidden by their faith and morals in his office. During the confrontation her father showed his true self as he flew into a rage and insulted Fatin because of her gender. Accused her of trying to make a fool out of him, take his place in power.

He lamented over having no sons and kicked Fatin out of his office. The young woman contemplated her life and possible future constantly fighting a war for people who only accepted her position because of her father.

When an assassin, wearing a grenade riddle suice best, made an attempt to kill her father during his appearancece at the party, Fatin was the first to move. She tackled the would-be assassin to the ground, but not before he could prime the grenades.

Fatin moved quickly to get her father to safety, the explosion rocking the compound's very structure. While her father was unscathed, Fatin found that she had been injured. Shrapnel pierced her left cheek, other fragments cutting around the area and her lips.

It was the fact that no one came to care for her that made Fatin make up her mind and leave her father behind. She was expendable as far as he, and they, were concerned. The woman moved back to Saudi Arabia, where was recruited into a mercenary group operating in the country.

The group, the Invictus, trained the woman on their dime. But, she refused to take part in killing, focusing solely on trying to bring down the enemy as non-lethally as possible, with many exceptions because of the nature of war.

Fatin rose in their ranks, and because of her natural talent in warzones she was dubbed Stryfe. A name she almost exclusively goes by, her own name being a reminder of her father and the warzone she was raised in.

Saarai
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Millionaire Arc Warden Party Starter Lifegiver Tipworthy Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OutlawTorn on Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:36 am

Good character, Saarai. I'd like to read the story(s) she's featured in sometime.

OutlawTorn
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby OutlawTorn on Mon Sep 08, 2014 2:11 pm

I want to introduce you to Lillian Nobunaga. Because I didn't explain the connection her and Leo share very well. If you understand Lilly, Leo's death scene will make more sense.

Name: Lillian Nobunaga
Race: Surbian
Alignment: Good
Personality: Lilly is a strong willed, tough woman. She is compassionate to the rebel struggle, and despises the Zenobian Empire. She is one fiery woman with more attitude than most men could handle. She's a soft spoken, quite woman who is very introverted. She's a true warrior princess of the Surbian people, who were wiped out by the long arm of Zenobia twelve years ago.
History: Lillian Nobunaga is a native Surbian warrior trained in the art of Swordtrem, an ancient martial art formed around the use of a sword against any sized and armed foe, perfected. Twelve years ago, the Zenobian Empire reached Surba in their conquest to overthrow and destroy the old world. Lilly's people were massacred, leaving only a tiny portion of them alive to this day. Lilly proudly, and viciously carries the torch of her people, burning bright through the edge of her blade.

Lilly is a character from the first 4 parts of my Final Fantasy Series. Lilly is the Vincent, or Shadow of my Final Fantasy. She's not what you would consider a "main" character in terms of limelight, script, or plot-activity. She's not a filler role or anything, and her impacts on the story are very big, but she's just not an outgoing, outspoken, or very social person. She's never that woman taking charge, giving speeches, sweating bullets over the "fate of the quest". That's not her.

Having said that, there are few characters as passionate about defeating Zenobia.

She kills Leo Strata in the 3rd story.

Leo is what you would call a prodigy of warfare. A relentless, emotionless predator. Constantly hunting, stalking you.

First, Stryker (who is a man of Zenobia, ex-Special Forces, and wields guns, never old world weapons) shoots him in FF1.

Not enough.

Then, in FF2, Casius Magnus breaks his right arm at the elbow, practically crushes his windpipe, and tosses him off of a bridge suspended high over water... (because when Casius goes beast mode, shit gets real in a fresh minute. He actually prefers martial arts over using black magic. Black Mages believe magic is a gift from the gods (as it really is), and not to be abused for one's own will or gain)

Still not enough...

No, to kill Leo Strata, you apparently need someone like Lillian Nobunaga, because she succeeds.

Lilly was forced to square off with Lyra Strata in 2 (Lyra shot her in the abdomen after Lilly clearly had the drop on her in swordplay. Before Lyra could finish her, Cid came flying in with The Valiant, forcing Lyra to retreat.

Then in 3, Leo has slipped into an extremely violent rampage. Seto Bobaloo Sobral and his allies have eluded him over and over again, and defeated him twice.

Something must be done, and when Lilly crosses paths with him, she knows what she has to do, even if it means her life. Everything has lead her to this. Leo Strata has (by now) begun to represent everything Zenobia stands for. Everything they did to, and took from her... It's almost poetic, when you consider that Leo is the child of an old world race of warriors massacred by Zenobians. Leo was taken for a slave as a pre-teen. He was neglected, beaten, manipulated and brainwashed to become the sickening, horrifying death machine he is today...

He's a victim of Zenobia, not unlike any of our protagonists. This is why that moment, after Lilly has dissected Leo with the precision of a brain surgeon, and she removes his mask, looking into his eyes, it's so powerful and meaningful. They are not so different. In point of fact, Leo was a protagonist, so twisted by his captors, they made him believe that his people were destroyed because they were weak. If they were stronger, it wouldn't have happened. But he was spared because he was strong... Now it's up to him to exact the very same judgment upon the rest of the world.

But it doesn't end there... When Lyra Strata discovers that her beloved little brother is dead... Oh man it gets ugly. Lyra's rage surpasses the scope of both Leo and Sarovoc.

She hunts Lilly down, noting from Leo's wounds (left arm cleaved completely off mid-forearm ;) ) that only one person could have done this to Leo. With only 3 Subrians left on the planet, and 2 of them being elders, it was crystal clear.

Wearing Leo's mask, she confronts Lilly, shooting her in the stomach.
"Let's pick up where we left off."

This is probably one of the best fights in this story, right up there with Alexander vs Gilamesh, Lilly vs Leo, Casius vs Leo, and Seto vs Sarovoc. The song First of The Year by Skrillex helped inspire it, so you can get a sense of the mental state of Lyra Strata. The psychotic rage, but also the memories of her and Leo, before Zenobia, as she's dying.

Beyond being awesomeness personified, Lilly also appears in FF4, as Seto's wife! They have a few kids, and Seto is now the leader of the Sobral people. Still haunted by Ana Maria Grace (not unlike any of our surviving protags), Seto is a broken, restless man.

I don't want to get into the plot of 4 too much, or any huge events, because it hasn't been written yet. But There are things you have to understand about Seto. He is Bahamai, meaning child of Bahamut in ancient tongue. The word Bobaloo (Seto Bobaloo Sobral) means child of the dragon.

His people protect Bahamut, Neo Bahamut, and Bahamut ZERO. Some of the few summons that were still in human possession (at the start of 1). In 1, Seto was a run-away who knew nothing of gods, nothing of summons. So he had no clue the blue pendant around his neck, given to him by his father contained the essence of Bahamut.

When Ana Maria Grace was gunned down by Sarovoc Ducrinus in front of him, Bahamut manifested high above him, "...spiraling from the void with the wings of a wyvern." -Sarovoc Ducrinus

This marked the beginning of the summon race, in which both the good guys, and Sarovoc and his goons began to become aware of their existence, and both sides began hunting them down, seeking their power for the coming battle. This boiled over in the Tomb of Alexander, where Sarovoc ambushed Seto, pumping 3 rounds into his torso, killing him instantly. Thank god for White Mages (created by Alexander). Priestess Talla has foreseen this (Sarovoc obtaining Alexander, Seto dying almost accidentally) and is already rushing to Seto's aid, reviving him before it's too late.

This leads to Alexander vs Gilgamesh, (hopefully) the best fight in Final Fantasy history. This happens during the battle of Zenobia, after Casius' death, which got the party started big-time (Ifrit, Diablos, Doomtrain, Meteor, you get the picture).

All of this is great but it's not enough. You've got the primitive old world with sketchy, throw-back Zenob Tech AT BEST, fighting a highly advanced empire on their own damn turf. I'm all for the happy ending, but I'm a realist.

A big theme in my FF is morality. Not your basic good vs evil, but a more complex observation of what justifies right and wrong, based on numerous elements.

This is ultimately reflected in Bahamut ZERO's only part in these 3 stories.

Henato Bobaloo Sobral Jr., eldest brother of Seto, is faced with the most difficult decision of the last 5,000 years, and perhaps the next 5,000. Reluctantly, he does something no Sobral ever wants to do, for any reason... From far away in the wilderness of Sobral territory, he summons Bahamut ZERO to the planet with one objective... Destroy the core of Zenobia.

The blast generated by this immense space-dwelling dragon levels 70-80% of Zenobia, leaving only a portion of the outer-most slums left intact.

So now you know how important and influential the summons are to this story, and an idea of how Seto's people are especially gifted when it comes to them, being children of Bahamut, who created all other summons...

So in 4, Elder Kirin (the Time Mage Seto met in 2) sends for Seto, telling him he must fight one more time. And telling him of a very special summon called The Knights of The Round. 12 of Bahamut's chosen heroes from before or during the Great War who had proven themselves worthy of immortality to serve as Alexander's Knights of The Round.

When Seto finds and summons them, he is overwhelmed by what he finds.

Seems there are not 12, but 15 now. Among them, his best friend, Casius Magnus, someone I'm keeping a secret ;), and Anastasia Maria Grace... The heroine of the Zenobian people, the inspiration of the old world... The love of his life. The woman he never forgot about. The woman who haunted him.

This stirs up a ton of stuff within Seto, and Lilly as well. Seto is her husband now, she loves him. But he loves Ana. Which was fine when she was a memory. But now it's almost like she's alive again. However, it's not... Ana... She was a mortal girl. This is her essence, on a bare level, through a divine scope. It's Ana, but not as any mortal can know and process her. She seems distance, yet focused. She does not speak. She's a divine now, not a mortal.

Seto does come to grips with this, and things are fine between he and Lilly, because he does love her, he just loves Ana more.

Sorry I had to get into Seto so much, but it would have seemed random and obscure if I hadn't explained everything behind it.

That's her main storyline in 4, but she does dust off her katana for some bloodshed as well. ;)

OutlawTorn
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TwilightDivine on Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:20 pm

I'd have to say my favorite character is Z, an OC of mine and the sole male character i have, i love him because i put a lot more effort into his back story and details than any other character i have

Z was originally Zelus, a soldier and tactician of an ancient civilization of humans that possessed magic, but during a war he went to forbidden measures in an effort to gain power for his home, leading to a horrible accident that killed his wife and daughter, after the gods ignored his pleas to punish him and revive his family, he again sought out forbidden magic, only to be punished further, the gods made him immortal and destroyed his home completely, restarting humanity without magic this time, and he was forced to watch on throughout the millennia, unable to find any solace as everyone he would ever come to know would only grow old and die while he stayed the same, as he saw how humanity was destroying the planet and themselves, he grew to hate them intensely, feeling they were spitting on their own existence, so he has long since abandoned his name and now he seeks to destroy this new humanity completely and revive his fallen home, and especially his family, by any means necessary

TwilightDivine
Member for 10 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aloadofcarp on Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:52 pm

I once had a reluctant vampire hobbit. It played pretty well for a 4e game, but, as my character disliked using his powers (he found them horrid), the other players found him too dramatic and non-killy. So, they sacrificed him to liches during a quest. The DM, loling, decided to bring him back to life, but, lo and behold, he would lose his powers should he come back to life! "Well, we could bring you back as undead..." "Character motivation?" In the end they force-brought me back naked on a senile thunder eagle after the mission (long story). I didnt even get the magic item i wanted...

aloadofcarp
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Quakernuts on Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:28 pm

I might be one of those weird people who considers their best character and their favorite character to be different people.

In terms of 'Best', I personally think a character by the name of Jake Tyier (pronounced Tea-air) fits that bill. To date, he's the only character that I have managed to not only finish an RP with, but also the only character I've managed to kill off in a respectable fashion.

The character is nearly 6 years old now, created back in the time when I was only starting to get into the RP game. He began as a somewhat cliche character. His entire family had been murdered when he was 18, along with his childhood home and he became a drifter. Unlike most however, he wasn't out for revenge or vengeance, but more for excitement. Due to this event, he was driven for a need to prove that he was constantly alive. He would pick fights with strangers, hook up with other men's wives, and even do drugs on occasion if he ever really needed a kick, although it was never his first option.

He started out like an apathetic and wise cracking bruiser of a man. Due to the nature of the RP, he had enhanced reflexes and strength, allowing him to become a powerhouse in close combat, which he used to great effect (At one point literally grabbing a Dragon's teeth as it tried to eat him and slamming it's head into the ground). For the beginning of the RP, he wasn't anything special in terms of notable characters. He cracked jokes and skulls in equal measure, acting as sort of the comedic center and frontline fighter all in one. It wasn't until about halfway through the RP that he really started to evolve.

The group was tasked with protecting a little girl who would be proclaimed as the world's Goddess, a woman of immense power capable of protecting the world, or utterly destroying it. With such power comes the very real possibility of corruption, where the Goddess essentially becomes a demon, hell bent on only satisfying her own selfish desires and not caring who gets hurt in the process. After a rather tense battle with a group of mercenaries working for the big bad guy of the RP, Jake threatened to kill the Goddess after she began to show signs of corruption, creating a divide in the group and forcing Jake to take a little personal time away from the group, where some revelations came to light.

Jake had multiple personality disorder, which had diminished over the years but due to the stress of the job, was revealing itself. There were essentially two sides to him which I dictated with colors within the confines of his own mind.

Blue Jake was the one you had seen from the beginning. Brash, brazen, slightly apathetic but good natured at heart. He was more akin to his 18 year old self, emotionally immature and prone to fits of berserker rage in combat.

Then there was Black Jake. Everything that Blue Jake was not. Cold, extremely apathetic, sadistic, and hell bent on survival and power by all means necessary. He was also extremely intelligent and capable of reasoning, he was more a planner than a brawler, and it showed from differences in speech to how they fought in battle.

From that point on, whenever stress or injuries became too severe, Black Jake (Or Ekaj as the other members of the RP began to call him) would attempt to gain control, and managed to do so a couple of times before Jake regained control. That luck would run out finally when he finally did lose the mental battle that would forfeit his majority control, and Ekaj became the new character.

This switched up the entire dynamic as Ekaj suddenly became an unknown factor. There was the ever present fear that he would switch sides in return for survival and power, but in the end reasoned that he would simply be killed the moment his usefulness was at an end.

During the final battle, Ekaj was finally killed when he over extended himself fighting the main bad guy. Wounds sustained during the battle forced him to 'go hard or go home' so to speak, and eventually ended up with him taking two ice spikes to the chest and another one through the back. He died within seconds of sustaining the injuries, not allowing for any last minute words or goodbyes, save for the two personalities coming together one last time within his mind.

The two main things I liked about him were the fact that, despite his cliche 'village was burned to the ground and family killed' backstory, it was never once brought up in character. None of the characters aside from Jake knew what happened to him however many years ago, and I simply used it as a reasoning for why Jake had multiple personalities, explaining that in the OOC to the other players.

The other thing was the fact that the multiple personalities ordeal was never intended from the beginning. It was something that I literally thought up mid post, thought it was cool, and worked it in.

I seem to have gotten a little carried away with explaining the character, but there you have it. My personal 'Best' character to date.
Writing is a tool used to convey an author's passion and imagination, use it to the best of your ability.

Quakernuts
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist World Builder Inspiration Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brat Prince on Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:25 pm

I have to admit that the character that I feel is my best I didn't make on here but made for a D&D campaign I am in. At first he was just an idea of a man that never spoke, never showed his face and was quick to rage but as I played him he became so much more. I may have let some OOC issues influence something he did but it brought a lot of his personality. I have come to where I don't want to see him die.

As for a character on here that is a hard choice I would say that it is between three characters. Kane Knight/The Shade who was the character I had made for the first roleplay I ran on here, I loved him because of how he acted and how different he could be, I was sad to have to close the roleplay because of a friend kept godmodding. The other is Desmond Zini which I haven't gotten to play much because some of the roleplayers are a bit slow in posting but just how he acts is just so fun. Lastly is Damon who I haven't really played much either but is still fun so far.
I am the Vampire Lestat, the Brat Prince.

Brat Prince
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:19 pm

I have a lot of characters that I'm very proud of, from noble barbarians to bloodthirsty noblemen. I've played idiots, saints, average Joe's, super heroes, sick cripples, nerds, doctors, soldiers, the absolute scum of the earth, and posh villains with British accents and James Bond-level theatrics.

I don't have a favorite character, per se, but I have a favorite duo. I tend to run multiple characters both online and when I play D&D (I would do it in Deadlands except I can't keep track of two hands of cards, piles of chips, fear levels, wind levels, guts checks, arcane ba... it's more complex than rolling 2 d20s). The funny thing is, one of the characters is based on a stupid idea I had for a solo build for Dungeons and Dragons Online, and the other was an ad hoc "Crap I need an NPC for this" that became a full character. They were originally meant to be the bodyguard/girlfriend and mentor/friend, respectively, of Fenris Cyrolix, who-at his height-was once my favorite, and most developed character. But he got axed, hard, and Elisabeth/Elysabeth/Elyzabeth/Elijabyth and Simon Caeronvar (later Simon Caeronvar Yates) got revised over and over again, and the consistent bond they shared as foils, friends, and foes was so much more compelling to me that I think they're far better off.

Out of the two, I would say Elisabeth is my favorite character. She's very easy and very fun to write for; her personality and mannerisms come easily to me, and I feel comfortable doing stories with her in a way I am not for other characters. In every RP/story in which she is featured, she's a little bit different, and her motivations/origins are altered to fit, but the consistent summary I can give the angry little elf is to say that she's "Pissed off and mad about it."

Yes, she's a hot, bisexual, dual-wielding fantasy elf that slays lots of bad guys and claims to stand against misogyny while really being a sad, delicate love interest in need of a man to save her. So she's a big cliche and I'm sure many women and professional writers that analyzed my work would say that she doesn't pass the Bechdel test. That's true, but I'm a hobbyist writer with particular interests, and I like writing about a woman and an elf that's perpetually upset and into chicks. shrug. She speaks her mind, and like a child, she hits what she doesn't like. She's fearless, brave, opinionated, and very, very rude, and I think she has added a much-needed kick-in-the-ass some RP plots lacked. At any rate, she's better than all the brooding, dark-elf anti-heroes that are too busy moping to get anything done. She'd rather do something wrong than not do it at all.

My favorite thing about her, though, isn't the open relationships or two swords or constant cussing. It's her religious beliefs. Elisabeth believes that divine beings do exist, but her mentality is... different than that of most people. Where people go to church and pray for salvation, Elisabeth stomps her feet, looks up at the sky, and demands to know "What the fuck, Elsir? I prayed this morning, and I'm getting ambushed by goblins?! What in the Hells do I worship you for?" She sees religion as a give-and-take relationship, not one of pious devotion or obedience. Insert prayer receive benefit. When I've had the great privilege of meeting other writers who can play convincing theologian characters, it's always been very enjoyable to see her debate religion with cultists, priests, humans, other elves, atheists like Simon, and that kind of thing.

...now that I think about it, I really like Simon's religious views, to. He lives in a world rife with magic, and literal, observable manifestations of a god's wrath or benevolence can be witnessed at least once a week in some of the RPs he's been in, yet he's an atheist. He sees "Gods" as simply very, very powerful mortals with an understanding of magic or the universe he can't conceptualize, that can live a very long time. They can be (and have been!) killed. Turns out there's a special place in Hell for people that tell God (to his face) that he's a liar.
Do you feel like you're a bad writer? PM me, and let's talk about it. :)

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MayContainPlagiarism on Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:21 pm

[quote="aloadofcarp"It played pretty well for a 4e game[/quote]

...is that possible? No, like, seriously.

MayContainPlagiarism
Member for 9 years
Promethean Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zodia195 on Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:04 pm

That's a hard question seeing I've been roleplaying for 15 years now. It's like trying to pick your favorite child almost. For me I think the best character I ever created came from the only RPG I ever completed. It was in from one of the Yahoo! Groups (or Clubs at the time of the RPG's creation). Anyway her name is Prisilla and originally she was a villain who was very shallow and vain. Oh she is a sorceress. As I played her I came up with her backstory more and she was the first character I created that was very complex and she ends up causing alot of problems for the heroes of the story, especially my other character, Cassie, who was her main rival. In the end she ends up becoming a good guy and in the 2nd storyline of the RPG, she plays more of a supporting role but goes through alot when not only her son gets captured but she ends up facing the man who pretty much ruined her whole life in the previous rpg.

If I had to pick a more recent character, I have to say it be my character Tara Lanston who was a character from the RPG, Devil, that lasted the longest from this site (unfortunately it died off like every other RPG I've been in on this site). Here's her profile page-
roleplay/devil/characters/taura-lanston

What I loved about Taura was she had this tough exterior and seemed stuck up but was really a sweet heart. I have never played a character like that before and I loved every minute of it.

Zodia195
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist World Builder Greeter Tipworthy Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby The Valkyrie on Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:16 pm

So I think I finally have an answer for this question. Historically, I haven't really been able to figure out which of my characters are better than others in any objective sense or which are my subjective favorites. Mostly because I've figured there were a fair number of candidates for either (dubious) distinction.

But of late I've been convinced, at least in part by friends, that the best character I've ever made is Estella. She's still a work in progress, which is to say both that the RP she's in in still going and that she, herself, is very much still becoming, in that neat way that characters/people sometimes have.

I don't make a habit of writing characters that are much like myself (I find that boring), but there are definitely ways in which I relate to her (maybe these are just ways in which she's generally relatable.) In a setting full of justified instances of magical prodigies and powerful warriors and catspaw assassins and clever diplomats and great heroes, Stel's actually... pretty normal. She's not especially talented at anything, and ends up in a position of vital importance basically by unavoidable happenstance. She struggles mightily with her chronically-terrible self-esteem, which has all kinds of implications for her interactions with others, all the while tackling obstacles that repeatedly bring her to the edge of death. There are subtleties and complexities and layers I've gotten to explore (and am still exploring) with her that really make almost every instance of writing her really meaningful to me.

Pretty much her only redeeming qualities are her work ethic and the fact that she genuinely, deeply cares about people and tries to do what's right, even when it's hard. It's been fun to slowly let these qualities pay off for her, and honestly I think it's helped me grow, both as a writer and a person, though it may just be the fact that the whole experience of writing the RP that she's in has done that.

But yeah. I'll try not to ramble or stroke my own ego here, but I think I did pretty okay with her. :)
The Canticle of Fate: Silver Lion Stanza
"Though I am flesh, Your Light is ever present,
And those I have called, they remember,
And they shall endure."

The Valkyrie
Member for 13 years
Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Castle on Sat Aug 11, 2018 4:12 pm

The Valkyrie wrote:
So I think I finally have an answer for this question. Historically, I haven't really been able to figure out which of my characters are better than others in any objective sense or which are my subjective favorites. Mostly because I've figured there were a fair number of candidates for either (dubious) distinction.

But of late I've been convinced, at least in part by friends, that the best character I've ever made is Estella. She's still a work in progress, which is to say both that the RP she's in in still going and that she, herself, is very much still becoming, in that neat way that characters/people sometimes have.

I'm in LOVE with your character sheet!! Absolutely stunning!
Castle

Castle
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Property Buyer Greeter Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Person of Interest

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!