Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Experimental Roleplay

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Experimental Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teimoshi on Thu May 20, 2010 3:11 am

I have a question. An RP uses the theme of sanity as a plot device, as part of the setting. The realism of a story is not determined by the setting, but how the characters react to their environment. That said, the RP would provide a challenge to the RPers by forcing the RPers to describe their character's sanity, causing them to delve deep into the psychological aspect of their characters. By doing this, not only are you given insight into your own character, but you also develop your writing style. Would you be able to feel what the character is feeling because of this? I believe so. So if I were to post such an RP... the burning question is... will the RPers be up to it?

Due to the nature of the story, the setting provides for a lot of random incidents, which seems to be difficult to incorporate in such a premade story made for textual role playing. How does one do that? Unlike most RPs, where the character reacts to other characters, in here the character reacts to the environment, to the setting. Things happen at random in order to force the character to decide if its real or not. For instance... what if the floor gave way and you fell into a bottomless pit... is it real, or is it a trick of the mind? You have the sensation that you're falling, feel the air slip past you. If it's real, you're doomed, if not, then whatever is happening is forcing your brain to send you those signals, tricking you into thinking that it is real. It's quite a pickle... trying to understand the dynamics of reality... but there you have it.

The problem is, when you're dealing with a bunch of RPers, it can be difficult. There's always the possibility that someone will Godmod their way out of the situation. This type of Godmodding is known as DBZ godmodding. DBZ Godmodding is when you manipulate the events of the RP. A friend of mine in another website coined the term to me.

The kind of RP I'm talking about, is when the events of the RP manipulate and influence the characters. I'm curious as to whether or not this is possible in a textual roleplay.

About a year ago, I posted a RP here called The Path of Sanity. No one warmed up to the idea and the RP was abandoned before it even started. Only one person was curious about it... but it wasn't enough. http://www.roleplaygateway.com/the-path-sanity-t33017.html

I would like to request a possible investigation of this idea... and see how things develop. It'd mean a lot. If this works, then I may have provided the perfect, foolproof training guide to both RPing and writing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Teimoshi
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Experimental Roleplay

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Thu May 20, 2010 11:29 am

I for one think it sounds interesting. A lot of time people just concentrate on the characters interacting with one another, not always what's going on in their mind. I've tried to do this to a extent with my characters, the psychological creates a much more rounded character, instead something stock; to use a few terms from ENG 101.

Its vastly more difficult too. Sure you can say oh such and such character is thinking or feeling this, but you never really delve deep into things, like what makes them tick.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Teimoshi on Thu May 20, 2010 3:40 pm

I've found that it is actually surprisingly easy. When you're describing what someone is thinking, try contradicting it with another thought. Always come back to the character's principal thoughts on the situation, make it redundant, but not excessively. Explore the character's thoughts on that situation from all angles, by doing this, you get the sense of a bit of rambling despite the fact that the writer is not, which can sometimes determine the character's sanity. Why? Because the mind is always rambling. By doing this, you provide the reader the ability to feel what the character is feeling.

This would provide for more efficient roleplaying were the Rpers to adopt this technique.

Teimoshi
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pioneercadet on Thu May 27, 2010 5:46 pm

Huh. Well to delve into the psychology of the character is something that is not done a lot in writing. I have never actually seen a piece of literature where what happens in the mind was the center of everything. I would, however, love to try it if you ever get anything started. I think it would be a unique challenge to think of how a character would act by him/herself rather than in terms of other characters.

Just pm me and if I have access to a computer I would love to participate in this little experiment!

pioneercadet
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gabriel_Whist on Sat May 29, 2010 7:28 pm

Very intriguing idea. I'd definitely be interested if you were to restart it.

Gabriel_Whist
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roze on Wed Jun 02, 2010 8:40 am

I'm in.
It's a unique challange that needs to be tested.

Roze
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!