Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Founding a New World OOC

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Founding a New World OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:36 pm

It had been seven and two score days since we left England, when we came within sight of the Americas, the day being the fifteenth of July, of the year 1768. Captain Hall anchored the HMS Seahorse in a small bay but the light was fading. It was decided that the detachment should wait until the morn before we set out. Even as the sun set, the vast stretches of trees looked like never a man had touched them. It was glorious. Pine as straight as a mast and taller then those on a first rate ship-of-the-line. The shore was teeming with animals and fowl, so many that if one fired a musket, each hot would kill something.

In the morn, we were rowed ashore and began to troop inland. Our number was seven and twenty, lead by Left-tenant Chard. Along with myself, was another Sergeant by the name of Harris and four corporals to keep the men in line. Each was armed with a musket, forty shot and a good steel bayonet. Myself and Harris had our halberds and a pistol a piece. Chard was armed with his sword and a fowling piece.

It was midday, of our sixth day on the march, when the forests suddenly gave way to a low stonewall and fields. In the distance was a much large wall, also of stone, with three squat towers rising above it. I could not tell you what was inside but I think it may have been a town. Several persons, of fair skin and hair popped out of a row of strange crops and upon spotting us, they fled towards the wall.

It was the grace of god and planning on the part of Left-tenant Chard that saved us then, for the good Left-tenant had the platoon take up a defensive position behind the low wall. Shortly after the field hands fled, a troop of armed persons appeared. They bore both spear and sword and seeing our red coats, gave a cry and rushed towards us in a most unwelcoming manner.

On the order from Chard, we gave them a volley, the men with their muskets and the sergeants with pistol. The soldiers rushing us faltered and stopped, some throwing down their weapons and fleeing. One man, dressed in armor of all things, made a great shout and they rushed us again, before we could reload. Although the ranks should never do this, I was most heartened that the lads had fixed bayonets.

They came among us and the fighting was hand to hand. Though we killed twice our number, we suffered almost total casualties. Twenty and one lay dead, leaving myself, Corporal Webb, three privates alive, with Harris and Chard badly wounded. Fearing more soldiers from the wall in the distance, we gathered the muskets and the wounded before setting back for the shore. It pained my heart to leave good men unburied.

Left-tenant Chard and Sergeant Harris died of their wounds, two days hence and we buried them in the forest before returning to HMS Seahorse.

Sergeant Hakeswell,
5th Regiment of Foot,
On the 1768 expedition of the North American landmass

Hold up now Irish Wolf. 1768 expedition of the North American landmass? Castles and knights in armor in North America? Are you high? North America was firmly in the hands of the British in 1768 and the armored men bit? Whats with that? You need to get back to your history books boyo.

Well my friends, you would be right, if I was writing about our earth but I wasn’t. This little thought of mine is set in an alternate reality Earth. Now in this Earth, in 1492 Columbus sailed the ocean blue but his discovery did not spark a grand colonization effort like it did in ours. No, only sparse expeditions, that mapped the coast. However, after Left-tenant Chard’s little dalliance into the interior and the report of Sergeant Hakeswell has brought the interest of George the Second and he wants the riches of North America.

Now, a colonization effort is being lunched, with a number of civilians and a company made up of both Light Infantry and Line Infantry from 5th Regiment of Foot.

Now wait a minute Irish Wolf, what about those buggers living in North America?

Now keep your pants on, I’m getting to them. They’re your almost stranded fantasy stock Elves.

Elves?

Yes, those pointy-eared humanoids that many fantasy books, games and movies have. Long lived, fair skinned, fair haired and almond shaped eyes. Ringing any bells now? Good. Now theses Elves live in society like feudal Europe, with lords and knights ruling over heavily taxed peasants. Their also afraid of water. Not like rain but the ocean, very large lakes and very wide rivers hold a great fear for elven kind (mostly because elves are not good swimmers) and this helps explain why they are not found near the coast. Elves are also xenophobic, for the most part, fearing those not from their own settlement and practice ancestor worship.

I’m looking for players to either take on the role of a soldier, colonist or elf. Those playing elves will be allowed to play nobles looking to take control of a large territory, rebel peasants/second sons looks to take power or just outcasts.

Character Profiles

(soldier)
Name:
Appearance:
Weapon(s):
Bio:

(Colonist)
Name:
Appearance:
Gear:
Bio:

(Elf)
Name:
Social class:
Faction: (conquering noble, rebel, ect)
Appearance:
Bio:

Mine

Name: Bowen Paddock

Type: light infantry

Appearance: A small man, baring maybe five and a half feet tall with muscled but thin arms and chest. His lean and sharply featured face with large brown eyes gives Bowen a rodent-like look about him, with a mouth almost always in a frown or near sneer. Thin black hair, cut short barely covers his head, with little stubble ever seen on his cheeks. Like all British light infantry, he wears short red coat, short gaiters, black belting, red waistcoat, white shirt and breeches. Disdaining the regulation leather helmet, he wears a black felt hat instead.

Weapons: a light saber and Short Land Pattern “Brown Bess” Musket

Bio: Not much can be said for Bowen history. Born the younger son of a debtor, he had very little chance of living the high life that an English nobleman should. At the age of thirteen, he convinced his uncle to buy him a commission, as an Ensign in the 5th regiment of foot. During the Seven Year’s War, he found himself separated from the column, during an ambush by French cavalry. After losing the Regimental Colors (but preventing the lose of the King’s Colors), he met up with the Light Company and with a pinch of luck, was able to recover the flag. For his part, he was awarded the rank of Lieutenant and placed in the Light Company.

Oh and heres a good site for anyone that wants to be light infantry with me: http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... 6%26um%3D1
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Re: Founding a New World OOC

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:51 pm

Name:
Veric
Male
Social class:
Noble
Duke
(Military Commander)
Faction:
Conquering Noble
Appearance:
Height-
5'11"
Weight-
180 lbs.
Hair-
Blondish-White
Eyes-
Emerald
Weapon(s):
His hands alone are known to be a "deadly weapon", however, he does carry, light-weight, specially made twin daggers in which he keeps tucked under his shin pads at all times.
Bio:

OOC: Haha, loved your front page post and such. :) I may join, but for now, save me a spot and I'll get back to this tomorrow - it being of late hour here. Also, isn't social class rather the same as faction(Bit confused)? :?
Last edited by Maestro on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:40 am, edited 6 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:56 pm

Faction and Social Class are closely related but I felt that it should be there, as both nobles and peasants can be rebels.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:59 pm

Awe, I both see and understand. :D Well any who, thanks for the intel, and I'll edit this later tomorrow depending on how many responses this gets. Also, will edit the social class now. :lol:

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Beta Tester Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:01 am

Hmm this looks interesting IW. I am going to be off and on over the next few days, but this looks good. Let me rack my brains to see if I can shake out a character.
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DelishushPastry on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:09 am

Looks awesome I'll make up a character tomorow as it's late and I'm typing off my iPod but I would love to join if you would have me for another one of your rps.
Please Join in on any of the RPs here: A few Ideas or feel free to PM me to ask about them. More RPers would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

DelishushPastry
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:12 am

I feel warm and fuzzy that you like it there Skall.

And I forgot that there are different ranks of noble as well, like Baron, Viscount, Count/Earl, Duke.

And sure Pastry.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheGoddessReborn on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:01 am

Name:Idrial Malevnoix

Social class: Protector (Middle-Class)

Faction:Rebel

Appearance: Image

Bio: idrial is a kind elven girl who has the biggest sense to protect anyone she sees needs it. she is very nice and easy to get along with. with her "old" age she longs to find the one she can spend the rest of her life with, she's rather shy but will speak with you but not look at you.

Born on the elven world of Slivante, she was brought into a strict regiment of training as all elves who choose to do. she is falls into the category of battlemage which focuses on SwordPlay and Magic. at the age of 12 she finished her training and was put into a elven squad who was considered elist, but her squad got pompous and thought the humans were easy prey, they soon found out as the were slaugtered that the humans were no joke now 18, Idrial is afraid of humans especially those who has combat expreience

(hope that is okay..)

Weapons: she has the one on her lower back and these at her sides.

Last edited by TheGoddessReborn on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheGoddessReborn
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:35 pm

Still looking for a bio there Near and thats a cool pic but elves aren't blue.

And Kira, your bio seems more like a personality then a history to me.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Maestro on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:41 pm

I know. :P

Maestro
Administrative Liaison
Administrative Liaison
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DelishushPastry on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:00 pm

I would like to either play an infantry unit or a colonist but I would like a little more information on what each of their roles would be in the story. Like what types of thing would I do if I were a colonist? Do soldiers just go out and defend the colonists or are they in separate areas?

DelishushPastry
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:23 pm

Well the soldiers will be scouting, standing watch and help build the settlement defenses (stockade and blockhouse). The colonists will be looking food (hunting and gathering local planets), cutting down lumber, building shelters and the defenses and planning farmland.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Hutch on Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:49 pm

I think it's about time for an Irish Wolf Roleplay... Seein' hows the last one I was in died. Which was incredibly lame, I was really hyped about it.

Name: Arthur Calvert
Appearance: Tall and stocky. Arthur stands about at about 6'7 and weighs 260lbs. Has short cut, dark brown hair though whenever outside he is seen wearing a circular brimmed black hat. He wears a brown jacket left open over a white tunic with brown trousers covering his legs. He has dim blue eyes and a bit of stubble around his chin. His face also has a drained look to it.
Gear: Arthur boarded the boat with all that he could afford, which was very little. A hatchet, A small bag of a few different seeds (Corn, Potato, Wheat, Barley.) and finally an old flintlock hunting rifle, with barely any black powder and only 5 lead balls for ammunition.
Bio: Arthur grew up on the family farm his whole life,to say the least he has lived a life full of hardships. From dawn to dusk he would work, tending the fields, feeding the livestock, and anything else that needed to be done. Life continued rather normally until he turned sixteen and his father took ill, dieing shortly after. His mother was so grief filled that she took her own life, leaving him all alone.

He inherited the family farm and when he overcame his sorrow managed to run it well enough for years. Making just enough money to pay land taxes and keep himself alive. When he turned twenty three he met the love of his life, Annette, and they married shortly after. They lived on the farm for several years together, until they hit a rough patch. The soil around the farm was beginning to spoil after so many generations of constant farming, harvests were starting to yield smaller and smaller profits. Eventually Arthur and Annette Calvert spiraled into debt, not able to afford taxes or much else. Things got so bad that the government threatened to seize their land. This was the time that Annette started to take ill, from lack of food and stress it seemed, she died in the cold of winter, leaving Arthur completely alone in the world again. This time the sorrow from his loss was too much to bear and he left the farm, spending most of his time in taverns, drinking to forget.

For a year he spent his life like this, until he sobered up enough to notice the colonization effort, he joined on, eager to get far away from England and all that pain that occurred there.
Last edited by Hutch on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutch
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:27 pm

Name: Jenny Watkins
Appearance: Jenny has curly red hair that reaches to about the top of her back. She’s a somewhat small woman at 5’4 on her best day, but has always been fairly strong for her small size. Jenny has soft brown eyes, and pale skin with freckles gracing her face, and though not your typical brazen redhead beauty, is very strong willed and pretty in her own right. She generally wears a white cotton shirt and a brownish pink skirt that is easy to move in.
Gear: A few changes of clothes, a sewing kit, a gold locket, a few pots, and other necessities.
Bio: Jenny is the young widow of Jeremy Watkins, a young carpenter whom she’d grown up with as a child in their village. It was decided upon that they would marry only months before her eighteenth birthday, and as neither the bride nor groom had had any complaints, had a fairly smooth marriage. It lasted barely a year though, as Jeremy died in a fire that both burned down their house (as well as several others in the village), and killed him. Heartsick and penniless, Jenny packed up what few items she still had, and decided to try at a new life in the to be colonized new world. Jenny has little to loose in her mind, and is hopeful for a happy new life.
Last edited by Kohananinja on Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tempest on Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:39 pm

Name: William Clarkson

Type: Light infantry

Appearance:

Weapons: Brown bass musket, bayonet, and oddly enough, a naval boarding axe.

Bio: William has been in the service ever since being given the choice of the army of the noose at the age of 16. He has served with distinction in the 5th Regiment of the Foot and is credited with saving the Kings Colour alongside Lieutenant Bowen. His age has made him the sergeant every officer dreams for.

He has been thrice wounded in conflicts with the French and during this rather quiet part of history he has been dispatched along with his company to the new colonies in North America.
Nothing to see here

Tempest
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Completionist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:02 pm

Welcome aboard, it nice to see another human among the characters and it looks (based off of the sig) that we have a Nelson fan. In any case, I hope to have the IC thread up tomorrow afternoon.....oh wait, its 12:01, so this afternoon then.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TheGoddessReborn on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:51 am

i edited my postie.

TheGoddessReborn
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:02 am

Well I am interested in this, I am torn though as to be an elf or a soldier....gah sometimes I am frustrated with you IW you have great ideas that make it hard to choose which faction I wanna be in....grrrrr.

I suppose I could be an elf noble to add some flavor since they are xenophopic, hmm I could bring back my elf that was in another of your RP's, Dynoz Tarr. He was a mean bastard....hmmm, yes yes...muhahhaa

"What? Who dares invade my lands? Summon the hounds!!!"

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:29 am

Oh, he was mean bastard, that might make it fun to have Dynoz Tarr back among us.

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Phantom Rom on Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:37 am

(edited)

Name: Tricia Bristow is her real name, but her fellow troops know her as Timothy Bristow

Type: light infantry

Appearance: "Tim" is a small soldier, only about 5' 5" in height, standing below eye level of other soldiers. Her normal attire consists of tan breaches, borrowed from one of the sailors on the ship, a tan shirt, with that laces up in the front, the sleaves reach down past her hands a bit. Tim is a girl, Tricia Bristow, but none of the other soldiers she is with know that about her, to her knolege, her hair is cut short, a deep russet color it's cut about 2 inches long and is brushed forward to hang more over her forehead. Tricia's military attire is the typical british dress code, but she wears the outfit mentioned above more often then not for, freedom of movement if not for the fact that she was prone to over heating wearing the many layer's of clothes required in the dress code, also the looser clothes helps with her discuise. she wears a special band around her chest to hold in her breasts to look more like a boy.

Weapon(s): A musket with a bayonet, a hunting knife in a sheath on her belt. A small coil of rope is always hanging off the back of her belt.

Bio: Trish is the daughter of a sailor, Frances Bristow was his name, he stayed on his ship most of trish's life, bringing trade goods to other parts of the world. Trish had a brother, Taylor Bristow, he is a lutienet in another fleet. Trish followed her brother into service for his majesty going under the name Timothy Bristow, the younger brother to Taylor. Trish never got to know her father much, her mother seemed to be sick in most of her memories of her, Cecilia Bristow, died about half a year before Trish joined the british military, Trish felt no reason to stay home with no family, so she took the way her brother did, join up and hopefully see her brother again in the sea, he hadn't come home sense mom died. Trish is a good actor, the way she walks, talks, eats, and belches is almost a perfect match to what the other guys of her ship.

ok i edited some stuff. check it out. anything else to satisfy the critics.
Last edited by Phantom Rom on Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anywhere is walking distance, if you’ve got the time.

“A friend is one who walks in when others walk out.” [Walter Winchell]

“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” [Leo Buscaglia]

Phantom Rom
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!