Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Holy Smokers!

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Holy Smokers!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:11 am

Yes.

Just a quick question: is it just me or has there been a crazy sudden explosion of Neko based topic/roleplays?

For the last couple of days, there has been something to do with Nekos in a wide variety of RPs or people have been playing as such in non-neko rps and I'm wondering why on Earth is this happening. I know I'm not a big fan of this .. stuff, so why? Did I miss something? Is there a reason that this has occurred at all?

Anyone?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Holy Smokers!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:45 am

Yeah, I've seen a few, but what actually is a Neko ?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Selothi
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:04 am

This simply happens because... well... it does! There always seems to be a trend towards certain types of Role-Play on this site, often for short amounts of time.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:36 pm

Selothi wrote:Yeah, I've seen a few, but what actually is a Neko ?

A Neko is a human slash cat, I believe. Scary.

Kronos wrote:This simply happens because... well... it does! There always seems to be a trend towards certain types of Role-Play on this site, often for short amounts of time.

I suppose you're right. Of all things, though, why Nekos? As said slightly above, they scare me a tad.

I wonder - who was the first person to come up with this creature? Was someone just sitting there, trying to think of something brilliant ... and then gave up and came up with these things? I don't know... :\

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby reticulated99 on Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Obviously, it was a furry who came up with them. Neko is to furry as marijuana is to hard drugs (at least in some people's conception)--a gateway to make normal people think it's not hideously abnormal to yiff in public.

reticulated99
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mid on Sun Oct 26, 2008 11:58 am

Nekos are usually females mixed with cat traits. Like ears,tails, paws and collars. They are usually used as um pleasure slaves or maids -.-;; people just have different tastes.
Bai Bai bby

Mid
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Contributor Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Selothi on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:03 pm

Ah, Khajiits you mean ! lol. Sorry, my Morrowind addiction is coming back up (You see, in the Elder Scrolls' universe, Khajiits are a race of cat-people, so they'd resemble Nekos, right ?)

I actually like such a race, as long as they're well played. Just making them sex-slaves though (or whatever else) ? Seems a bit, well, crap to me. They have potential, I seriously hope these RPs exploit it, and don't just make them humans with cat features, that's crap. So yeah, I'll probably like Nekos ... Won't I ?

However, I do agree that there's this forum-wide trend of many RPs copying themselves. Like at one moment it was school RPs, then Vampire and Lycans, then Nekos, at one point it was ... You get the gist ? Down to the low crativity of the modern masses ... *sigh*

Selothi
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wakboth on Sun Oct 26, 2008 4:22 pm

Who invented then? Mankind?

Many cultures, in fact, most have had anthropomorphic (anthro is people, eg: anthropology. The study/knowledge of people) animals, either as gods or mythological creatures.

eg: Bast, from ancient Egypt?

Or, to take a non cat example:

Coyote the Trickster, from some Native American tribes.

Humans have always done this with animals, it's nothing new.
I've played what would be labelled a neko before now. In a real life roleplay called Shadowrun I played an elf who's sub-race had mutated due to high level of magic activity in recent years, adopting cat like features. Mine was slightly more cat like when using magic because he was a Salish shaman of cat totem. He was pretty much a normal person, and was rather more of an urban character than your traditional shaman idea. But he had cat like appearance. (Salish-Sidhe in the game, because it combines both the native tribe Salish and the sidhe, which is a Celtic mythological concept. The sidhe part is because of creatures like elves, trolls, orcs and dwarves who have come back into the world, particularly elves in this case. Ah, I love Shadowrun) As has been said, if 'neko' are done properly there's nothing wrong with it. There is a stigma placed on it due to 'furry fetishists' but really what's to stop anyone playing a character with animalistic properties? After all, animals mimick each other and we're only animals at the end of the day.

However, the surge in these roleplays is alarming and pointless, especially this slavery business, which is nothign more than furry fetish. Oh deary me.
When the end seem to justify the means, you've tried too hard to find an excuse. When 'by any means necessary' means 'violence may become necessary' you've lost sight of your goal. When people lay down and die rather than endure any more suffering, worry for the state of humanity. When people do not comment on how wrong this is, become angry at the world, because feeling that upset is too hard to bare. When people say 'you care too much' don't answer, because there is no such thing.

Wakboth
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ThatsNotPoetry on Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:49 am

iamsheena wrote:Is there a reason that this has occurred at all?

Anime.

That is why.

Anime made nekos popular, anime rules 90% of RP, anime therefore rules what kinda cliche stuff ends up on the boards. Anime anime anime.
I am available as an RP mentor should you seek to improve.
I draw things that you may like.
I like Ronald Jenkees and you might, too.

I require a certain level of writing skill in my stories. Don't be insulted, I just prefer to RP novel-level material. (I, I, I, me, me, me. I sound like such a jerk.)

ThatsNotPoetry
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:16 am

Selothi wrote:Ah, Khajiits you mean ! lol. Sorry, my Morrowind addiction is coming back up (You see, in the Elder Scrolls' universe, Khajiits are a race of cat-people, so they'd resemble Nekos, right ?)

Khajiit and Nekos are both catlike, and they both have a tendency to be slaves with idiosyncratic speech patterns, but they don't look much alike. Khajiit tend to be more catlike.
Whilst Nekos tend to be more humanlike.
ImageImage

My personal assumption as to where Nekos come from? Natural evolution. They first appeared in anime, yes? Well, most anime characters already look pretty catlike to me.
Look at this guy. He's practically a cat already; giving him some extra feline body parts is just obvious.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!