Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Interactive Lesson: Detail and Character Development

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Interactive Lesson: Detail and Character Development

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredSoul on Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:27 pm

Mentee: Carlee
Subject: Detail and character development
Style: Interactive lessons
Occurance: As available
Genre (selected by the favored styles of the Mentee): Romantic-Fiction
In post corretions? Yes
Color: Deep Red, #BF0000

OOC discussion: Yes

Part one: Creating the basic idea for the story participants

Ok, well thanks again Carlee for choosing me to help you out, I promise I won't let you down :).

Now then, you have opted for what I like to call an interactive method of learning, where we will RP, have instructional posts, and share pointers and tips.

The first thing we need to do, which will also help you with one key part of using detail in Role Play, is figure out what the story should consist of as far as key plot points or basic ideas, and what sorts of characters would be involved. For example, because you have shared with me that you like doing realistic genres with romantic sub-genres, and that you would like to start using more fictional styles; we could try out doing something fairly simple like vampirism or even fairies/pixies, etc., assuming were to go with fairies/pixies, we could say that the story would being where these the two main characters are living in a city ruled by a fairy/pixie king who has gone rogue and wants to take all of the magic of their race for himself. The two characters would meet at a gathering of people that are trying to find a way to overthrow the king and his minions and end up getting paired together as a team, through their adventures, battles, and experiences, they grow close to each other and eventually develop feelings, but they start out as mutual friends, making fun of each other's differences constantly and bickering like brothers and sisters.

That is just an example, but it doesn't mean you can't use it as a story line or anything else. Now, as you can see it's basically a bulleted list but with full sentences instead of bullets; it's also detailed enough to get the plot across, but not overly done. When developing an idea, it's best to leave the precision detail out, because ideas are always up for debate and development. Save the precision for the characters and story.

Alright, have at it Carlee. I am sure you've got a few good ideas in there about something you would like to write about as a basis of your development in using detail :D
Please rate my posts, as I work very hard and diligently on them, and well, I'd like my reputation rating to be a reflection of that.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ShatteredSoul
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Re: Interactive Lesson: Detail and Character Development

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Carlee on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:22 pm

I like your idea actually, it sounds easy and fun. I haven't really roleplayed a fairy/pixie before so it sounds alright (:
From listening to your story line I can't even think of my own, I'm probably not the best at coming up with one anyway.
'Live, Laugh, Love <3'

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Carlee
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MasterCherry on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:26 pm

Can somebody help me?

MasterCherry
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:34 pm

Could another mentor perhaps join in on the fun, as say, a student observer?

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredSoul on Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:46 pm

Haha, well it's kind of funny, I just pulled that out of like nowhere. XD Well then, if you're sure that's what you want to do then let's do it! As odd as it may sound, it may actually help you to learn a bit more if you do a topic that is not within your expertise, that way you're even more open to learning. ^.^

Ok, well then. Let me put together a very basic template for you as far as building a character goes, then I'll explain a few things and give you a few tips that will help your characters stand out and be desirable for other role plays and whatnot.

Name: Always try to use a first name and at least some sort of reference to a middle or last name.
Race: Well, for this RP it'll be eithe Fairy, or pixie, your choice :]
Age: Eh, for this one I'm not an expert in the world of little humanoid creatures that are a few inches high and have wings, lol, so go with whatever you want really.
Appearance: This is always one of the hardest things for some people, but here's a constructive tip. A lot of people will just use a picture, and those can be great for references, but often times people want you to write up at least some of the description, that way it's clear that you have a more personal view of the character. Kind of like that book by a cover thing, you like the picture, but you don't delve into it's description. So, here are a few things to consider adding in (Yes, you can bullet it if you want.) : Eye color, hair color, hair style, skin color and blemishes (like freckles or moles, or otherwise), clothing they wear, (in this case) wings, and many many more. :]
Now, other than that, a lot of people will write up personalities and histories, well here's my take: You're not playing a celebrity I don't think, so logically it makes no sense for me to know your history. And as for your personality, a lot of he times people will write up personalities and not stick to them, but regardless the personality will come out the story unfolds, so it's unnecessary. ^.^

Alright, have at it Carlee :)

ShatteredSoul
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Carlee on Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:42 am

[Sorry it's a bit weird and the appearance sounds a bit funny.]

Name: Dawn Faye Lirtossa
Race: A mischievous pixie.
Age: Dawn lost track of how old she really is but she thinks somewhere around two hundred and twenty, but of course you couldn’t tell how old she really is from her height.
Appearance: Dawn stands at four inches high and has pearl coloured skin. Her hair is a golden colour and is usually seen in a ponytail, her eyes are a bright blue that match the sky on a sunny day. Dawn has cute pointy ears and always wears a cheeky grin on her face with bright candy pink coloured cheeks.
She’s usually seen wearing her favourite pear coloured dress that is tightened at her waist by a blackish brown belt. Instead she walks around barefooted, saying that it is more comfortable than the pointy shoes she’s made to wear.
Dawn has beautiful wings that are a green and purple colour, though one of her wings doesn’t work as well as it used to because she fell off a tree one time and it still hasn’t healed.

Carlee
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Akita on Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 am

It seems as though you're doing a great job at mentoring this user, ShatteredSoul. Carlee is definitely learning fast and is grasping the "good writing" concept very well. I believe she'll progress a lot faster and easier with your help. Glad to see you're doing a favor and devoting so much time and effort for one person. ;D!

Your favorite GM,
Nitrogen <3

Akita
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Contributor Greeter Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredSoul on Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:59 pm

Name: Oakley Plank
Race: Male Worker Pixie
Age: Counting of age in the Pixie world isn't a very common thing, but if he was ever asked to make an estimate, Oakley would say two hundred twenty four.
Appearance: Being a worker pixie, doing jobs like packing shipping Pigeons and seasonal crates, Oakley is a very sturdy and muscular male. He is also one of the taller Pixies in the Kingdom, being a high (by Pixie standards) four and one half inches. His weight is about average, though the tone of his body makes him seem slim and well exercised. Messy hunter green hair adorns his head in a slightly curly tangle that dips no longer than his eyebrows, allowing room to display his captivating hazel eyes. His wings fan out a smaller diameter across from the upper sectors, arching slowly into a sharp 'S' at the pointed and round tips. The lower sectors are just a bit fatter, extending down to about the midsection the back of his legs with a wider point in the shape of an almost undetectable 'S'. His pale complexion compliments his wings' transparent and attractive teal shade.

ShatteredSoul
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Carlee on Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:34 pm

Alright, great. You can start (:

Carlee
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thepsycoman on Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:51 pm

May I also have a bit of a mentored rp?.
To kill or not to kill.... Hardly even a question.

thepsycoman
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredSoul on Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:51 pm

Well. If you would like me to start then I am completely fine with that. I'll write up a quick one paragrpah post and afterwards I will give you a description in a numeric listing of what I did and some example of where description came into play. Oh, the psycoman: What do you need help with so that I may properly assist you? Shoot me a PM and I'll get back to you asap

"Move that stack of crates across the loading bridge, Oakley! Hurry up!" A broad shouldered Pixie with a stern face called to the man. "The queen can't be kept waiting."
That was Sin, Oakley's boss, the head in command of all the worker pixies at the loading port. What's the loading port? Well, it's the one place in all of Poppie Meadow, the pixie kingdom that is, where shipments, mail, deliveries you name it, get packed away and loaded onto carrier doves. Think of it as a sort of UPS or FedEx. Anyway, so that's who Sin was, a tall, muscular guy with broad shoulders and a stern facial expression that never seemed to go away.

Running his right hand through his matted hunter-green hair as the sun beat down on his face, Oakley nodded once to Sin with half of a smile, turning then briskly walking across the platform he was on toward the stack of crates. It looked pretty heavy, maybe two and half a pounds at the least, but Oakley in addition to his height, had extraordinary strength, especially in his arms. Lifting the stack, he started heading across the platform to get to the bridge.

OOC:

Alright, so. Just a few side notes here: Some really discreet things that build detail, scenery, and characters are in this post. For example. The opening dialogue is clearly said with a firm and commanding voice, you can assume. That right there is a discreet detail that gives you some look into what the character's personality is.
Another discreet way to add detail is to try give some sensory to your surroundings. What on earth does that mean? Simply put, give a few sentences to describe where your character(s) are and what they are doing. No need to give some lengthy four page description, just enough so that you get a decent image in your head and can still imagine.

A few obvious things here, descriptive terms. "Briskly", "broad shouldered", "extraordinary strength". Simple enough words, but they really add to a scene.

On a last note, one important thing to notice here is the easy-going environment and the semi-cliffhanger ending. It leaves plenty of room for other characters to come in and have interactions. :)

ShatteredSoul
Member for 16 years

Um would you mind helping me with my character development and making longer posts? It would be very helpful as I'm just starting out and all.
If you have attempted alchemy by clapping your hands or using a transmutation circle, post this in your sig!
If you are proud to be a Risembool Ranger, copy and past this into your sig! "How tall are you"
If you love Vic because he's one of the best people on earth, add this to your sig

ShatteredPerfection
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:24 pm

I think I do a decent job but would love to know where I could improve. I feel that we never stop learning so I would love to try this for a bit and see what I could learn. I won't join though if you want to keep this for beginners. It's up to you though I already have a character in mind.

Name: Solaria Telestris
race: pixi
Appearance: She is about two inches tall and hates that she is so short but is generally as cheerful as her golden skin and red gold hair would imply. Her eyes are also a gold color but have a ring around the iris that is red. She has wings similar to a butterfly's with red, gold, orange, and yellow and her outfit also sports those colors. She prefers pants to skirts, she doesn't like people seeing up her skirt when she flies. In defiance of custom she makes her own shoes which are practical and extremely comfortable.

I could probably say more about her personality but I don't want to say too much especially if I won't be posting here so I leave it up to you I won't be offended if you decline since I am not really a beginner and truthfully shouldn't join any more forums cause I barely keep up with the ones I am on now.
Worlds without end visualised, sketched, and written. From my mind and imagination to yours.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Jun 17, 2010 2:50 pm

gaiadarkstar wrote:I think I do a decent job but would love to know where I could improve. I feel that we never stop learning so I would love to try this for a bit and see what I could learn. I won't join though if you want to keep this for beginners. It's up to you though I already have a character in mind.

Name: Solaria Telestris
race: pixi
Appearance: She is about two inches tall and hates that she is so short but is generally as cheerful as her golden skin and red gold hair would imply. Her eyes are also a gold color but have a ring around the iris that is red. She has wings similar to a butterfly's with red, gold, orange, and yellow and her outfit also sports those colors. She prefers pants to skirts, she doesn't like people seeing up her skirt when she flies. In defiance of custom she makes her own shoes which are practical and extremely comfortable.

I could probably say more about her personality but I don't want to say too much especially if I won't be posting here so I leave it up to you I won't be offended if you decline since I am not really a beginner and truthfully shouldn't join any more forums cause I barely keep up with the ones I am on now.

Hi gaiadarkstar,

Please let me know if I can do anything for you. As a mentor and creative writing teacher, I am glad to help in any way I can.
β€‹β€œAnother world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

β€œThe only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

β€œevery day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby gaiadarkstar on Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:55 am

Thanks Ylanne. I didn't realise this was a dead thread until I saw that before me the last post had been back in Feb. I will try this experiment somewhere else. Also continue pming you as long as you tolerate me lol.

gaiadarkstar
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShatteredSoul on Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:39 pm

*clears throat*

I would like to announce to all of my "students" both current, inquiring, and previous, that I have permanently moved off of this site and have established my mentoring elsewhere. For those who are wishing to continue working with me, those have worked with me previously and are wishing to work with me again, and those are hoping to work with me in the future, here is my complete contact list and the dates and times that I will be both available and unavailable.
Yahoo messenger: britt_de193@yahoo.com
Windows Live Messenger/MSN: brittde@hotmail.com
E-mail: roleplaybritt@live.com
Forums: <EDITED BY ADMINISTRATOR>

Note: I am currently in the process of completing the construction and establishment of my own personal website and processing the things necessary for my own customized forums, I will distribute this information to those that desire to have it when it is ready for launch.

Looking forward to hearing from you all,
Signed,
-Soul
Britt

EDIT: Locked to prevent future abuse from outside parties.
Last edited by Mid on Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Advertisement edited out.

ShatteredSoul
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!