Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

LEARN TO FUCKING SPELL

a topic in Flame Wars, a part of the RPG forum.

PLEASE keep ANY quarrel to these forums. This is not an ammo dump, either. Please TRY to resolve your issues PEACEFULLY.

Re: LEARN TO FUCKING SPELL

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr Hyde on Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:15 pm

For some reason I haven't had as much of a problem with people that can't type whole words and more problems with people that never proofread or use spellcheck. Its one thing if you have to do it fast, but then instead of going back and correcting their horrible butchering they just type more crappy posts......And Knock...lets not talk about Knock....He might have fixed this but the last I saw he didn't use punctuation....Not a single period....ever...Talk about a pain in the ass to read...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr Hyde
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ryand-Smith on Sun May 04, 2008 7:51 pm

lol u tk him 2da bar

Ok, troll aside, GET FIREFOX 2.X JERKS! IT HAS SPELL CHECK BUILT IN THERE IS NO EXCUSE FOR NOT SPELL CHECKING YOU FUCKING WASTES OF BANDWIDTH! I HOPE YOU ALL GET HIT BY DDOS AND NEVER RETURN IF YOU CANNOT EITHER A COPY AND PASTE TO MS WORD AND USE SPELL CHECK OR B DOWNLOAD A BROWSER THAT DOES IT FOR YOU I MEAN YOU WASTES OF PEOPLE WHO USE LOL234wdfg SPEAK OR WHATEVER THE KIDDIES CALL IT FUCK YOU ALL AND DIE IN FIRES AAAAHHHH RAGE!

Ok, I'm back to mellow again. Goodbye.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ryand-Smith
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Wed May 07, 2008 2:31 am

There's this image, posted because a lot of people don't distinguish the difference between "Your" and "You're."

And this is that Image:
AceDarkfire's deviantArt page
Former RPGateway Admin

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LitomoSilver on Wed May 07, 2008 8:50 am

LMFAO

Ohhhh god, so funny.

And perfect!

Lol. >_>;
A Fallen Warrior am I, as I lay upon my back, knowing as I raise my eyes to the skies, as I lose the battle of my life, that I will never see again...those that I love. Blood and tears flow gently down my face as I await the final judgment...knowing that I am forever free, yet forever damned as I close my eyes and release my breath for the final time...

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain....It's time to toss the dice...Mat Cauthon-Robert Jordan...Wheel of Time series

"How do you prove that you exist? Maybe we don't exist..." - Vivi

"Having sworn fealty, must I spend my life in servitude?" - Steiner

"To be forgotten is worse than death." - Freya

"The only dependable thing about the future is uncertainty." - Amarant.

LitomoSilver
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby tigerz-peace on Fri May 09, 2008 5:38 am

Ahem, Ahem, your attention.

Personally, I can tend to be a grammer/spelling nazi when the mispelling, bad grammer and text-talk is continuous and nothing is done to correct it over a period of time. I admit, I am victim to my own rants sometimes - I will often have a couple of mistakes in a post, unless I begin writing it in MS Word, which I do a fair bit. BUT text-talk is horrible, as is continuous mispelling.
Sadly, I have reason to believe I was one of those I now hate, once upon a time when I was a mere random on a chat, before I doscovered RPing.

I saw someone mention something about how its quicker to use text-talk? I find it much more difficult, personally. I have to stop and thik for about 20 seconds on what do I use instead of "too" or "okay", and larger words such as "want" "whatever" etc. However, words that are typed correctly are much easier for me, whether it be on the computer, phone or my own hand-writing.

Also, very random, but before I forget; its - Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious. I find the best way to learn how to spell it is via breaking it up, writing one bit at a time. Super--Cali--Fragi--Listic--Expi--Ali--Docious ... Each part of the word can be found in millions of others ^_^

Now, returning to my ranting or whatever you wish to call it. I admit I do use things such as "LOL", "ROFL", "LMAO", etc - but thats only because one it is quicker, and two it looks more attractive in the shortened version rather then the long (to me anyway).

Anyway... I shall be off... Just HAD to add something. XD

Oh, and smillies and "faces" rule =\
There's Something About...
Tamara Hale... And It Reeks Of

Revenge

tigerz-peace
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby eternalfaithx on Fri May 09, 2008 4:26 pm

I know I might be a little late on this conversation, but I must say that I agree with Roy.
It doesn't mean you're not intelligent if you use abbreviations in typing. I mean, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I can understand though when people start going on "+yp!nG lykk d!5" Because that's really annoying. But if you're saying something like, "lol, lmfao, lmao, omg, rofl, idk, idc, lawl, ttyl, ily". I really don't think it's a big deal. I'm extremley intelligent for my age (14) and I still use those phrases.
It's no big deal...
But if it bothers you THAT much...I promise to NEVER abbreviate ANYTHING when I'm talking to you. :)
lol- I MEAN, laugh out loud. :)
only the strong will survive.

eternalfaithx
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ace Darkfire on Fri May 09, 2008 7:01 pm

eternalfaithx wrote:I know I might be a little late on this conversation, but I must say that I agree with Roy.
It doesn't mean you're not intelligent if you use abbreviations in typing. I mean, I just really don't think it's that big of a deal. I can understand though when people start going on "+yp!nG lykk d!5" Because that's really annoying. But if you're saying something like, "lol, lmfao, lmao, omg, rofl, idk, idc, lawl, ttyl, ily". I really don't think it's a big deal. I'm extremley intelligent for my age (14) and I still use those phrases.
It's no big deal...
But if it bothers you THAT much...I promise to NEVER abbreviate ANYTHING when I'm talking to you. :)
lol- I MEAN, laugh out loud. :)

Well, there's a difference between constant short hand and "necessary" short hand.

Basically, it's unlikely you're going to spell out "hahahahahahahah" while laughing at something said in a chat, or something makes you laugh while in chat. Lol/Lmao etc. are easier to remember and WHILE laughing. Stuff like that is fine.

BUT, what isn't fine, is when you have someone who types "when" as "wen" and "what" as "wat." Or proceeds to use "2" in place of "to" and "too," or "4" in place of "for." Spelling "hate" as "h8," or "wait" as "w8," "u" for "you," "ur" for "your" or "you're." This is either done because the person is a complete friggen idiot, can't actually spell because he/she is too busy texting on a cell phone to actually pay attention in class. Some jackass kid already lost a good job prospect because he shorthanded on his resumé, he business didn't want him because of it.

Frankly, those are the easiest words to remember and spell. There's no reason to shorthand those on anything by a text limited cell phone (since, unless they have a full keypad, it's really hard to spell anything out).

Ace Darkfire
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby eternalfaithx on Sat May 10, 2008 10:02 am

Mhm, Ace. I agree with you. That was what I meant. THAT gets annoying.
Although, I laughed when you said that it was somewhat unlikely for someone to actually type out "hahahahhahaha" because I do that ALL the time. :D

eternalfaithx
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cass on Wed May 28, 2008 4:44 am

This would be pet peeve #386.

In actual communication on forums, guild chat, chat, or private message I clench my teeth when I see the lengths people will go to in order to be lazy. I don't mind some abbreviations, such as Lol and certain "netspeakisms" as I like to call them. But dumbing down the word "you" to "u" is completely unnecessary.

I will not allow my nephews to abbreviate at all in their writing and encourage good word usage, spelling, and punctuation at every turn. One of my nephews is 11 and he holds a very strong storytelling voice in his work. I even sat him down and explained that laziness in his efforts would take away from that.

Cass
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby [Ace] on Wed May 28, 2008 12:37 pm

Ironically enough, I say lawl more than I type it. (Say it like it sounds, not l-o-l.)

[Ace]
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed May 28, 2008 12:51 pm

""But if you're saying something like, "lol, lmfao, lmao, omg, rofl, idk, idc, lawl, ttyl, ily". I really don't think it's a big deal. I'm extremley intelligent for my age (14) and I still use those phrases. ""

Lol = Laughing out Loud
Lmfao = Laughing my fucking ass off
Lmao = Laughing my ass off
Omg = Oh, my god
Rofl = Rolling on floor laughing out loud
idk = I don't know
idc = I don't care
Lawl = ...(laughing??)
Ttyl = ????
Ily = ??????

If the person reading has to stop and go to Urbandictionary.com to tell what you're trying to say, it's a big deal.

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Taran_Winterleaf on Wed May 28, 2008 12:54 pm

My two cents

I understand that text speak actually saves space and therfore money when sending text messages from mobile phone to mobile phone...something that I haven't quite grasped the skill of myself lol, so I end up sending two pages of messages instead of one lol.

However, unless you're on a pay as you go package (if they still exist apart from cyber cafes), most of us pay a set amount every month for internet access. Where am I going with this? You are not being billed per minute...therefore you can AFFORD to spend time typing properly!!!

What's even more depressing is that the SQA who regulate all high school exams in Scotland, are making allowances for text speak in Standard Grade and Higher exams!!! aaahhhh!!! it's terrifying!! Can you imagine it? Hundred of exam papers like this....

Q. How did the passage make you feel?
A. A fink teh pssge wuz ded gd. It md me fl hpy cuz ma m8.....etc...

AAAAAAHHHHHHH! And aparently Scotland has one of the best education sustems in the world!!! get me outta here!!!

Taran_Winterleaf
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Village Alchemist on Wed May 28, 2008 8:35 pm

Hahaha.

I thought the American public school system was an abomination. But at least ours over here have crieria for grammar. :p

As for using txt-tlk on actual cell' phones, I understand that. It's a pain to try to actually type a word more than a few letters one on of those things. (I wonder if it would be possible to attach a mobile phone to a proper keyboard? Of course, that would make it significantly less mobile....)

Village Alchemist
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby eternalfaithx on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:42 am

Ahhhh, village alchemist, AMERICAN PUBLIC SCHOOLS ARE NOT BAD. hahaha, just depends where you liveee.
anyhooo, i think this conversation has gotten COMPLETELY out of hand, people. I'm seriously dying in my chair laughing.
IIIII suggest that if you see a kid, "typ3 lyk dis" again you politely tell him to go shove his face in a public toilet. ORRR you could just honestly ignore him. I mean, seriously, what exactly is the harm. Eventually the kids will learn that "wat" is actually spelled "what".

babysteps, guys. babysteps.

:lol:

eternalfaithx
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby eternalfaithx on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:45 am

oh my god, village alchemist, the keyboard mobile idea is a complete FAILURE.
you just completely failed at life. that would be the stupidest thing i've seen since those irritable and pointless toe socks.

but it made me lolallovertheplace, so we're cool. :]

eternalfaithx
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tarmo of the Dusk on Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:19 am

I support this...

Even if I use it sometimes...

The caps attracted me, they is pretty.

Yes, I used is instead of are.

... That is all ...

10600 words, 50k characters, come on in to Narazor... A world of it's own.

Tarmo of the Dusk
Member for 17 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:42 am

Ace Darkfire wrote:Image

I'm sorry, what?

Hmm?

--I're lover this teaches..--

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby eternalfaithx on Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:36 pm

Tarmo wrote:I support this...

Even if I use it sometimes...

The caps attracted me, they is pretty.

Yes, I used is instead of are.

... That is all ...

this made me lolmaolmfaoroflhahaha.
:]

eternalfaithx
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Roselite on Mon Jun 23, 2008 11:21 pm

I seriously like you. I can't STAND illiteracy and bad grammar, though I used to use these myself(as well as the entire sentence being capital letters... can't stand that anymore either). On Zantherus, this one girl was using it and it ended up in a huge fight between me and a bunch of 16-18 year olds who used the same fucking thing! God, I can't stand it!
But it's like . . . you've got this voice that just makes everything else go away. Singing or otherwise. It brings things down to what you're talking about and makes it . . . well, I dunno what the word is, but it's synonymous with beautiful.

Roselite
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drakona5 on Tue Jun 24, 2008 11:43 am

Systemme wrote:What the FUCK is up with all these new-age fucking idiots who talk in abbreviations?! I don't get it!!!

If you want to talk to me, FUCKING TALK TO ME-- DON'T FUCKING 'SLANG' AT ME, I DON'T UNDERSTAND YOUR NONSENSICAL LANGUAGE!!

What the fuck does 'wats ^' mean?!?! Who is this "Wat", is it a rat? And why is this supposed rat spewing symbols at me? OH, I GET IT. That's the illiterate way of saying "What's up?".

FOR GOD'S SAKE IS IT THAT HARD TO SPELL?! IF YOU FAILED HIGHSCHOOL HOW DO YOU STILL OWN A FUCKING COMPUTER?! I'M HUMAN, I'M NOT SOME SORT OF FUCKING SCANNER THAT NEEDS A CODE TO TALK TO!! AND FROM THE LOOKS OF IT, YOU'RE NOT A ROBOT EITHER!!!

Grrr. Why are there letters on a computer again? Ah, yeah, to SPELL LIKE A HUMAN BEING.

@---@

/rant

...sorry, MSN has been pissing me off lately-- especially when the illiterate ignore my away message. WHY DOES AN AWAY MESSAGE EVEN EXIST?! FOR YOU TO FUCKING LEAVE ME ALONE WHEN I'M BUSY!!

ahhhh >--< *brain explodes*

AMEN, Let the little man preach!
I help new people learn to RP. If you need help, PM me, I'll be happy to point you in the right direction.

Drakona5
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!