Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Roleplay Ending Exercise

a topic in Out of Character, a part of the RPG forum.

Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Roleplay Ending Exercise

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:21 pm

Greetings, all :)
I have noticed, as I'm sure anyone who has ever rp'ed in their entire lives has, that very few role plays ever truly finish. That's the blunt, naked truth...quivering in front of us in its pasty, pathetic manner. There are several reasons for this. Sometimes we just don't want the story to end, so we stretch it on forever until we lose interest. Sometimes the story is too weak, and we lose interest no matter how short it is. Sometimes it's as simple as one key person dropping out and the rest being unable to force the story to continue without them.
Whatever the reason, it's a sad fact, and one that could use some remedying.
I'm certainly not suggesting that we all run off and put the clip on our ongoing games...certainly not. But I am suggesting that we do a little exercise.
I am putting out this idea: Meet with a few people who are equally interested in participating, and start a game. Be sure that it has a strict ending in sight...whether it be the end of or saving of the world, a school dance, a math test, or dessert. And finish the game in ten pages or less.
It would not be easy. It would require a lot of out of game conversation between players, and virtually no filler posts. But I believe that if you pull it off, and come up with a complete, well ended game...you will have earned a pat on the back :) Or a cookie, or something.

Like I said, this is just an idea. I think it would be interesting to see the results.
Feel free to state your opinions on the matter now.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Re: Roleplay Ending Exercise

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:41 pm

Actually. I do not consider roleplays successful until they are finished. Which is why, most of my roleplays have a finish in mind. However, this is slightly unfair to most. I am used to roleplaying through tabletop games. All have a specific beginning, climax, and ending. Most have multiple stories within. I believe some of the roleplays are done by having 3 chapters.. An introduction story, a climatic story, and the full round. The full round is usually an event that ties everything together, it finishes the circle. It concludes the story. It is a good challenge to finish the game within a specific amount of pages.

I would be more than happy to participate in this particular event.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby aeleon on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:07 am

I agree wholeheartedly, and willingly participate in this experiment, if you want to do it in this forum.
As you recall, you know I love to show off,
But you never thought that I would take it this far.
What do you know?

Fancy a Butcher's?

aeleon
Member for 18 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Angel_Melfina on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:44 am

Jade! What a great idea! I would love to participate in this! I just started back into RPing last year after a 3-4 year hiatus, and not one of my RPs has come close to finishing. >_< I know they will one day, they just take time.

But yeah. I'm in.
Today, Friday, October 10, 2009, is my last day on RolePlayGateway.com.
Everyone give me lots of love, because I shall be handing lots out. <3

Angel_Melfina
GWC Veteran
Member for 18 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:00 am

Actually, because of this post. I would like to volunteer myself as the leading producer for this End Game challenge.

I will make the actual roleplay, set a specific limit on it, and let a select amount of people join.

I say, a 5 slot roleplay.

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jadeling Hawkins on Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:17 am

I'm glad you guys are interested!
Aeleon, you're, like, uber welcome to join. I just don't think we'll be doing it in this forum ^^.
Angel, I know what you mean! I went a good few years without roleplaying at all, and then realized that I dearly missed the creative outlet. Now here I am ^^ And....nothing has ended yet @_@
And Vex, I could think of no one better for leading producer ^-^
Anyone else interested..?

Jadeling Hawkins
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sir Alban on Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:00 pm

I am also interested. It is a good idea for roleplays to have a definite finish.

It is easier, I think, to finish, if you in your first post set a goal for the roleplayers to complete.

so it could be, say if it is a horror Roleplay. if the horror occurs within someplace they are trapped, then the roleplay finishes when they escape. if the goal is to assasinate somene, then when that goal is reached then the roleplay is over. I hope I have been clear enough, if not i will try to give more explanation

(if this is severaly wrong, then please to not be rude to me! :D im only 13, which im guessing is slightly younger than most here.)

Sir Alban
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:07 pm

I've made a goal based roleplay.

Rats (Mature)

Check it out, and PM me if you want to join. There are only 4 more slots open to it!

Vexar
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Soulless on Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:36 pm

Over the two, three years I've role-played, I've had ONE RP successfully come to a satisfying end. It was a damn good one.

And you know how the game master did it? He killed any character he deemed was too inactive, and rallied up new people to replace them. If someone knew they were going to be absent, they had to give another participant the chance to bunny them or face death. Very effective strategy, I think. I had the luxury of being one of the few survivors that got from beginning to end (although I did have to break in between because I went off to some foreign country for a month. Missed one of the cooler battles).

So, I decided to adopt his strategy. I already have most of the plot set in my role play, with prepared back-up plans depending on how participants act. Unfortunately, fanfare could be better...That's the only thing threatening it right now, I think. I don't quite have the charm...

Well, whatever. I don't think a page limit will help, or a set group of people. A changing list of members can help bring a bit more life if the other characters are getting redundant. My own game master style is to reveal as little you can about future events (bar the random foreshadowing) and keep the suspense going. As such, my OOC never actually talks about the future events (Unless a participant requests an event in or needs to know due to character relation).

That's all my personal opinion. Who knows, I probably have the entire concept backwards. It's been my only experience at a completed role-play, so that's why I'm biased toward it.

As far as participating in the experiment goes...Why not, if you'd let me.

Soulless
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sir Alban on Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:03 am

vexar, why did it have to be mature? im 13!

Sir Alban
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Sat Feb 09, 2008 10:14 am

Most people that aren't mature enough to join, think that maturity is based on age. It isn't, it's based on how you act. If the mature content throws you off because of your age, you aren't mature enough. I know some 20 year olds I wouldn't let in.

Either way, I'm trying to make sure that people who roleplay well make it in the rp. You'd have to be able to follow the rules every post.

I will be making an easier roleplay, less strict as well. However, not at this moment in time.

Sorry, however I do plan on it.

Vexar
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sir Alban on Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:49 pm

you mean mature as in unsuitable? or mature as in not acting stupid, not doing ridiculoulsy short posts and stuff?

if the second one, then I am in. I am fine in that respect. If I wasnt I would not be a quarter of the way through or lessa story im writing that has already got eight thousand words, I would not have the patience to write like that.

Sir Alban
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:27 pm

I don't doubt you are mature for your age. I do not think you have what I'm looking for for the roleplay I am running now though. In the future, maybe. I just haven't seen enough come out of your posts yet.

Vexar
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:31 am

Sounds good- I'd be up for that. I've ended a roleplay before but it was period drama type one and ended when the characters actually got together. If you were thinking of a social RP, that might be a good framework to set it out on.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sir Alban on Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:59 pm

fair enough vexar.

Sir Alban
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!