Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Sanctuaire Estrange

Sanctuaire Éstrange

a part of “Sanctuaire Estrange”, a fictional universe by >Marionette<.

Enter the good, the bad, and the strange. This is their Sanctuary.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Sanctuaire Estrange”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] Sanctuaire Éstrange

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Wed May 18, 2011 12:59 am

since the hebrew texts tend to be far more interesting than the biblical ones.

The quote he took is from the Bible; Job 41:33. Timmy obviously put some thought into it, as chapter 41 of job is all about describing the unknown mythical creature known as 'Leviathan'. Only think I don't entirely get is why his character is named after one of the most famous Catholic saints and scholars, but hey it's a cool name so who cares. :]

Not sure what you mean by 'Hebrew texts' since 'the Hebrew Scriptures' usually refers to the Old Testament, but the story of Lilith comes from the Babylonian Talmud around 500 years after Christ, where she seems to be an adaption of a Mesopotamian demon. Later in the Alphabet of Ben Sira (8th - 10th century) she becomes Adam's first wife, who was made from the earth (just like Adam) unlike Even who was made from one of Adam's ribs.

I'll look to creating a character today.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

shmband
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BadgerGob on Wed May 18, 2011 1:29 am

shmband wrote:

The quote he took is from the Bible; Job 41:33. Timmy obviously put some thought into it, as chapter 41 of job is all about describing the unknown mythical creature known as 'Leviathan'. Only think I don't entirely get is why his character is named after one of the most famous Catholic saints and scholars, but hey it's a cool name so who cares.

Irony? :P
Sanity, schmanity! I've got style...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

BadgerGob
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Wed May 18, 2011 11:53 am

shmband wrote:

The quote he took is from the Bible; Job 41:33. Timmy obviously put some thought into it, as chapter 41 of job is all about describing the unknown mythical creature known as 'Leviathan'. Only think I don't entirely get is why his character is named after one of the most famous Catholic saints and scholars, but hey it's a cool name so who cares. :]

Not sure what you mean by 'Hebrew texts' since 'the Hebrew Scriptures' usually refers to the Old Testament, but the story of Lilith comes from the Babylonian Talmud around 500 years after Christ, where she seems to be an adaption of a Mesopotamian demon. Later in the Alphabet of Ben Sira (8th - 10th century) she becomes Adam's first wife, who was made from the earth (just like Adam) unlike Even who was made from one of Adam's ribs.

I'll look to creating a character today.

I don't mean the quote, I mean the idea (demons being obviously more expounded apon with the Jewish people rather than Christian) and it was late k >.< so instead of scriptures, I forgot the word entirely and said texts, even though that implies a book rather than a scripture....or digital device we use to commune with one another through poor grammar. :P NYAH. Forgive my impertinence and poor attention to detail though...

I do have a question though, I thought the Alphabet of Ben Sira came first? And she was later demonized in scriptures after leaving Adam when she refused to be subserviant? Then she went and had nookie with Samuel, and aparently succubi and other demons were born from her.... Am I chronologically mistaken? I can't find anything on google to figure the matter sufficiently.

>Marionette<
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TiMMMaY!!! on Wed May 18, 2011 12:06 pm

lol, WOW!! I made brains do things

HI BADGER!!!

and yes, i particularly chose Saint Thomas Aquinas as sort of irony or dark humor on my charry's part, since Aquinas was one of the first(I believe) and most prominent to really get into Leviathan

TiMMMaY!!!
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Re:

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Wed May 18, 2011 12:15 pm

Check it out on Wikipedia. Alphabet was written 8th - 10th century AD, and creatively attributed to the Ben Sira who supposedly wrote the apocryphal book of Wisdom named after him. The story of Lillith post-dates the story of Adam and Eve by at least a thousand years. Not that it really matters, storys always get embellished. :) But whoever said that Lillith was 'demonised' for refusing to be subservient was just feeding you some Dan Brown/Michael Baigeant grade revisionist nonsense. :]

it's also been brought to my attention that i've called my character Drake instead of Duke! Want me to re-submit? Or shall i just use his correct name in the IC?

And i like the choice of name, St Thomas was a deep thinker and the first to 'really get into' a lot of theological concepts. :-) He linked Leviathan with the demon on envy, and his interpretation was largely allegorical.
Last edited by shmband on Wed May 18, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shmband
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Wed May 18, 2011 12:29 pm

Whichever name you like best actually, Duke I thought had a nice ring to it, but it's up to you. Let me know before the IC starts though XD

>Marionette<
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Wed May 18, 2011 1:56 pm

Maybe Drake can be a real name but he liked to be called "Duke" coz he think it sounds tougher. :]

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Wed May 18, 2011 2:06 pm

That works :), and I've decided we need a few more male characters, so I am making one. And he'll be an overworlder since we have so few of those XD, avalovelace, your character's brother would be much appreciated, but as said before not required. After I get my male character done I will be starting this thing.

I hope you guys don't mind, but I will be linking a play-by-post thread here for the IC, since I think it would be easier to keep track of posts that way.

>Marionette<
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Thu May 19, 2011 9:36 am

Mmm play-by-post might be a good idea if they gonna bring back that retarted calendar thing. Haven't heard anything about that since...

Anyway yeah I'm keen to get this show on the road! ^^

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Thu May 19, 2011 3:13 pm

here!

the IC is up! You can post all the way of going to school, the two humans should be there shortly, then shenanigans may begin! I expect the secret to be revealed within a good couple of hours XD Oh how fail Sebastian's plan turns out to be....

>Marionette<
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Thu May 19, 2011 3:47 pm

Awesome! My post's up. :]

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby FallenBlu on Thu May 19, 2011 4:17 pm

Cool. I'm so excited that we can start getting this roleplay under way. I'll have my post up and finished in a little bit. ^_^
Persona Roleplay We are still in need of a few people, some and join us. You can't go wrong with Persona. Roleplay created by Growlithe.

FallenBlu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby BadgerGob on Thu May 19, 2011 4:57 pm

Sweet! Unfortunately I have a full day of school and two Outcomes due today. Gah! :P I'll post as soon as I can which will probably be a fair few hours away.

BadgerGob
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AvaLovelace on Thu May 19, 2011 10:57 pm

I have school too so I'll try to post as much as I can!
I'll also send in the brother's character sheet when my laptop works x. X
It's hard making a character sheet on your phone lol
Why in the world
Can't you see the things I see
The more I run into your arms
The more you run away from me

AvaLovelace
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Fri May 20, 2011 10:18 am

Wow, I don't often do this but BadgerGob...nice post!!! Some seriously nicely done imagery in there. Doing Matt justice indeed, haha. ;-)

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Fri May 20, 2011 12:57 pm

Indeed, BadgerGob has quite a bit of skill there! I must say that everyone so far is doing splendidly, and I am working on my next posts right now! They will be up momentarily.

>Marionette<
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby >Marionette< on Fri May 20, 2011 1:31 pm

The Selkie Family is ADORABLE

>Marionette<
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Meesha on Fri May 20, 2011 2:18 pm

haha i know :D I do love my selkies!!

Meesha
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby shmband on Fri May 20, 2011 4:20 pm

Well it looks like I'm up to post but I'm afraid that I'm in London, my laptop battery's about to go dead and like a genius I left the charger at home. So sorry to ruin this pace of this excellent RP, but I'll have to post tomorrow morning. Sorry chaps!

PS - Don't ever live in a "bedsit" in Paddington. I think battery hens have more space.

shmband
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShadtheWerepire on Fri May 20, 2011 5:38 pm

Hey guys, I've been talking with Marionette and I plan on joining but I'm not an amazing writer. I'm going to join sort of as a "Trainee," as Marionette put it, basically I'm going to try my hardest to keep up with you guys and write my best but feel free to constructively criticize my work. I should be fine though.

I'm still working on a character and should have it up by the end of the night and I might even be able to make my first post!

ShadtheWerepire
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!