Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

School accused of putting autistic student in bag

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

School accused of putting autistic student in bag

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:27 pm

By BRUCE SCHREINER | AP

LOUISVILLE, Ky. (AP) — A 9-year-old autistic boy who misbehaved at school was stuffed into a duffel bag and the drawstring pulled tight, according to his mother, who said she found him wiggling inside as a teacher's aide stood by.

The mother of fourth-grader Christopher Baker said her son called out to her when she walked up to him in the bag Dec. 14. The case has spurred an online petition calling for the firing of school employees responsible.

"He was treated like trash and thrown in the hallway," Chris' mother, Sandra Baker, said Thursday. She did not know how exactly how long he had been in the bag, but probably not more than 20 minutes.

Read the rest of the story here.

Outraged? Me too. Sign the petition, and join the over 9,000 people who already have.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Re: School accused of putting autistic student in bag

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sat Dec 24, 2011 3:03 am

Oh God. That is just terrible. I don't understand how someone could treat another person like that even if they have a unique quality about them. Its horrible. That teacher should be fired and deserves it.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JewelGlutton on Sun Dec 25, 2011 8:41 pm

... How is stuffing someone in a bag, a form of therapy? I've heard some weird shit. But that's not just weird. It's wrong.

Coming from someone who is still school-age, I can honestly say, that if I as a student were put to witness this, shit would go down. And if I were in said bag. Shit would still go down. No, I wouldn't use violence. But, I would use a more powerful tool. My voice.

Even the cruelest people in my school don't deserve to be stuffed in a bag for that. No one does.

JewelGlutton
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RogueMinstrel on Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:34 am

This is disgusting.

Over the years I have prided myself in controlling an anger that was once far, far out of control and now I am practically a pacifist in all things excluding physical self-defense. However, were I a parent of this boy I would probably be in prison because I just know that I would have lost it and, man or woman I would have most likely attacked the person who was responsible for this atrocity.

I don't give a damn if the boy was refusing to do his work, throwing a basketball across a room, or even hitting another student or teacher; you DO NOT tie him up in a FUCKING BAG! It makes me sick! Even if a child is being violent towards other students or staff members then that is what the police are for. The police do restraining and they do it with cuffs, NOT FUCKING BAGS! Therapeutic my ass!!!! There is nothing therapeutic about stuffing a child in to a bag regardless of if he is autistic or not.

(Forgive my language.)

I was in what I can only describe as a behavioral school for 2 years in which I was forced in to isolation on more than one occasion. At the time I would have called this isolation cruel and unusual punishment (as I was quite claustrophobic and prone to panic attacks in confining situations) but I am able to look back on it now and understand what it really was which was simply isolation. This school had what can best be described as a stand-alone closet made of wood in which there was just enough room for a typical school desk (with chair attached) to fit in to. The walls went up to the ceiling but there were only three of them. They would put a piece of wood in front of the doorway but there was still plenty of room for light from the hallway to get in and you could actually peek over the top of it if you stood on your toes.
There was also an officer that sat outside of the box the entire time in case the student had to be removed whether for behavioral reasons (in which case they were well informed that if they had to be removed from isolation for behavioral reasons then it would be in handcuffs) or for medical reasons such as with myself when I nearly passed out and they half-dragged me to the nurse where I had to serve the rest of my isolation (albeit in a well-lit, roomy area).

But THIS? Tying a child up in a bag and an autistic one at that! I cannot imagine how traumatized that poor boy must be! My girlfriend's father works at a school for the mentally disabled where they also deal with autistic children and he has told me a few stories where they were forced to restrain a child who was becoming physically abusive towards other people but THIS is not restraint. THIS is TORTURE!

-breathes-

Okay, my ranting is done. I'm sorry. >.> But if this petition is still available (I'm going to check to see if it is) then you better damn well believe I'm signing it!

Fire these people? No, no, no. I say we ostracize them to some third world country jungle where native cannibals who have never seen so much as a toaster can put THEM in a bag!!!!

RogueMinstrel
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:16 pm

It's over 180,000 signatures now, and still circulating.

RogueMinstrel: What happened to you was also abuse. Restraint, seclusion, and aversive treatment are all forms of abuse, no matter whom is the subject -- Autistic, non-Autistic, or otherwise.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Scumbag_Brain on Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:28 pm

Petition Signed, and thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Sadly this is actually not that surprising. The teacher probably learned of this technique from some manual written by an egghead psychiatrist who was never friends with an autistic person, but instead viewed them as diseased patients. Psychology has a long history of seemingly sadistic treatments and of labeling any deviants as defective mutants. Forty years ago they were still treating homosexuality as a dangerous derangement. Today they still treat autistic people as handicapped even though they possess a unique perspective which sometimes grants to them talents and capabilities nonautistic people do not or can not possess.

So long as we view the autistic as defective, there will always be treatments like this because the brutality of the treatment is weighed against the merit of curing their 'disease'. That teacher probably thought she was a good person who was helping the child with his condition. Therefore the problem here is not some sadism on the part of the teacher but the way the autistic are viewed in general as handicapped.

I may be guilty of the reverse bias for I personally prefer the autistic to the so called normal people and might go so far as to argue that we are in fact the ones who are handicapped. Most 'norms' go about the world wearing complicated masks and when you look at them you never really see them, nor they you. We interact using these masks but all the interaction is fake, for we never actually meet one another. Normal people also see the world as a dead inert place, populated by the occasional human. The autistic, on the other hand, have no masks and they see the world as alive, hence their often strange, to us, interactions with animals and physical objects. Devoid of the masks we wear and generally incapable of the same sort of social maneuvering and manipulation most people engage in constantly, the autistic are in fact far more likely to achieve what is often considered, even by norms, to be the highest state of human existence, love, a state which can only come about when we drop our masks and quit seeing others in terms of what we can get from them. Also, by seeing the world as alive, the autistic naturally grasp an all encompassing ethic that the rest of us must learn from books, meditation, or deep thought. When I look at the destruction natural world and the way animals are treated, I see the direct result of the nonautistic psychology, the view of the world as a dead thing devoid of feeling or sense.

Of course, as with all conditions there are levels of intensity and with low functioning autism the condition is so dramatic that it truly can be considered an impairment. Treatment in these cases would be ethical but we still must keep in mind an appreciation for the gifts that come with the burdens of autism, otherwise such treatments will tend toward severity and seek to cure the autistic condition rather than moderate it.

Scumbag_Brain
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:14 pm

As an Autistic myself, I find the following article to be particularly interesting on that topic, Scumbag_Brain: Disability is a Social Construct.

You are very right that the treatment of Chris in this case is a result of the ways in which Autistic people are viewed and understood by society as large. As long as we are viewed as defective, diseased, or broken, this is going to continue to happen. This is not an isolated case. Restraint, seclusion, and aversive treatment are incredibly common, and the vast majority of cases never make it to the news.

With luck, Senator Harkin's "Keeping all Students Safe in Schools Act," filed this past December, will pass through Congress and enact federal restrictions against the use of restraint, seclusion, and aversives. There are no nationwide regulations or laws now.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RogueMinstrel on Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:43 pm

Well, I would not say it was abuse, Ylanne (I'm talking about my incident and not the one involving this poor boy) as I was in a school designed for kids with behavioral problems. Some of the teachers were elderly, too and if a student became physically violent then restraint was necessary. It is important to note, though that restraint in this school was never handled by the staff. They had police officers who had their own offices in the school that dealt with those matters. The isolation box I spoke of was nothing so different than what is found in juvenile detention facilities.

We actually had one teacher have her jaw broken by a student who decided to spin around and punch her as hard as he could in the face and he was by no means a small person. Needless to say, the police were not there at the time of the incident so myself and a few students took it upon ourselves to jump up and tackle him to the floor and restrain him until the police made it to the hall. This tactic by me and the others students were actually rewarded by the school as the antagonizing student had continued to go after the teacher after striking her the first time and no punches were thrown by me or the other students helping (as we did not want to fight, we only wanted to keep him restrained).

The isolation in this school was used only to restrain students who became physically violent towards other students or teachers. Myself was included (I'm not very proud to say that I was a bit of a jerk in my younger years). But naturally we may have different opinions on this and I respect yours. :)

However, I have to admit that I do not know a thing about autism other than what I have seen on TV shows and the news (which means I still know nothing about autism). I have a cousin who is autistic but I have never met him (from what I understand he is quite the geography whiz).

RogueMinstrel
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:16 pm

Well, I do believe restraint is appropriate and necessary when there is an imminent and immediate threat of physical harm to oneself or others, as was clearly the case in the incident that you described with the student who attacked the teacher. What I mean to say, and I apologize if I was not clear, is that restraint and seclusion in the absence of such an imminent and immediate threat of physical harm is abuse. Without that threat, there are always other means of de-escalating or addressing a situation, whether a student has behavioral problems, is Autistic, or is considered perfectly average and typical. (If someone starts hitting someone else, PLEASE grab and hold that person down.)

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RogueMinstrel on Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:09 am

Exactly. -sigh- Sometimes I just want to gather everyone on the planet up in to a bubble and say, "Is world peace really too much to ask?"

Maybe one day when there are less people on the planet. Hope to see this thread remain until the petition is filled up! I've gotten a few friends and family to sign it as well.

IT was nice talking to you, Ylanne.

RogueMinstrel
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SyringeofHell on Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:36 pm

That poor boy! Why would anyone thing that putting a child in a bag is a good idea, no matter how they are behaving? I remember reading an autobiography by a woman with autism, and she said she got put into a laundry bag when she was distressed at her school. I will sign the petition right now.
"You're the one bloody rubbish" - Dad.
DID YOU HURT YOURSELF? DID YOU HURT YOUR OWN BODY?

SyringeofHell
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:30 am

Coming from someone who straddles the thin line between autism and non-autism, I can see both possible sides of the argument.

This is a whole new level of cruel. I am extremely surprised that those involved have not yet been arrested and imprisoned for human rights abuses. Autistic people are, in my opinion, superior (naturally, this is a somewhat biased view), but many fear them simply because they're different. This is an inescapable part of human nature.

I can honestly say that, if this happened to anyone I knew, violence would ensue.

- Zero

Zero Reaper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jericho193 on Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:43 am

I would have stuffed those involved in a bag and said that was therapy too.

Except I learned it from "How to retstrain criminals" section in my security classes.

Crap like this makes my blood boil, I'll have everyone at the security company sign this too and pass it on.
"I don't have time to bleed."

jericho193
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist World Builder Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Trickster132 on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:20 pm

As an individual with Asperger's (form of mild autism), I am outraged because we're people that are raised with equality. Like homosexuals and lesbians, we've been made fun of or even bullied at middle school or high school. But this article makes my blood boil and it is just ridiculous because you don't see therapists stuffing little kids into duffel bags. I think the individual(s) who stuffed the 9-year old in a bag as a form of therapeutic treatment should not only be charged with child endangerment, they should get a prison sentence

After my opinion on this, I am gonna sign this petition right now
The Trickster is Watching

roleplay/fibonacci/

R.I.P Piermario Morosini (1986-2012)

Trickster132
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Solarbay on Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:04 pm

I have to wonder now: how does his fellow classmates see him? If a teacher doesn't even accept his humanity enough to treat him as they would other students...what are the classmates to think? I babysat/tutored 2 brothers for over 5 years: one with Asperger's and one with ADHD and loved the different ways they viewed the world and had fun. I struggled to help them relate with their classmates, however, and even had to mention something to a teacher for enforcing the negative view of the boys. Change and respect STARTS with the teacher. They should know that.

Solarbay
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:15 pm

Chris Baker is now being homeschooled. His mother made the announcement in early January, shortly after winter break ended.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!