Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Sport Support

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Sport Support

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:32 pm

So I came back from downtown, had a little shopping to do is all, and noticed an incredible amount of people flooding the streets. As any downtown area is usually filled with people wandering about buying gifts and such when I say flooding the streets I mean some cars couldn't even get through with the thick amount of people crossing constantly. It was then I noticed a large amount of people wearing blue and white jerseys with the Canucks logo on it. It suddenly dawned on me that today was another Stanley Cup game. There were people flooding bars to watch the game, huddling around TVs with beers and cheering and yelling and there was even this small group of people dancing about playing music and wandering up and down the streets.

I'm not exactly a big sports fan so quite frankly I don't understand what this is all about. If someone asks I'm willing to say that, yes, I do support the Canucks and all and wish them the best in their endeavors if only to not end up the in the group that people point at saying "They jinxed us! Lynch em!" if we lose. Yes, I do wish the best for the team as people in my city would be happy but whether or not we win or lose I assume there's going to be a riot.

So I have to ask: Do you support your city's sports teams? Why or why not? If you are a huge sports fan can you enlighten us to the enthusiasm shared by so many?
~Still trying to fit all of my dreams in a pokeball.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Re: Sport Support

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Absenthia on Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:20 am

Eh not really. I can't say that I care for the Cowboys or the Mavs and I find the Texas Rangers are decent. I don't keep up with Hockey so the Stars just aren't even on my radar, and who knows what happened to the Dallas Burn or was that SMU?
But I cannot stand most televised sports, and really just don't see the point in encouraging madness when it comes to the local stuff.
The only sports that even somewhat interest me on TV are Rally Racing (if you could call it a sport) and Soccer/Football.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Absenthia
Ambassador
Ambassador
Member for 15 years
Contributor Author Promethean Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Group Theory Greeter Tipworthy Salesman Person of Interest Property Buyer Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby linhely on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:27 am

I cannot stand most televised sports, and really just don't see the point in encouraging madness when it comes to the local stuff.The only sports that even somewhat interest me on TV are Rally Racing (if you could call it a sport) and Soccer/Football.

linhely
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prospero on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:04 am

I used to be into all of the local teams, and got very excited when they won. Ever since I left my hometown, though, my sport supporting has waned. Strangely enough, I was backing Vancouver (not where I'm from) when they played the Rangers in 1994, but I was following hockey back then. These days, I only follow once the playoff rounds start, and even then, I don't catch that many games. I do still follow football, so I haven't completely given up on sports. Homers (hometown fans) I think use their team as a reason to get excited and party, yell, and what have you. It's a form of entertainment. After spending a lot of time watching games, following teams and players, you begin to feel a part of the whole thing. The most exciting part is that no one knows what the outcome is going to be, unlike other forms of entertainment, where the end result is planned. The big drawback is that even though sports are shared, in that all the fans are sharing the experience, is that it's completely passive. The fans impact on the game is pretty minimal, other than yelling really loud. It does provide a homefield advantage, but considering at some point all teams will be the away team at some point, that advantage gets negated for the most part. What is depressing is when the hometeam loses, and everybody is down for an extended period of time, being completely bummed out over what is still just a game.

Prospero
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:39 pm

I was born and raised in North Texas and now split time between that and West Texas. my allegiances start with Texas Rangers. They are the closest team to me by proximity and I've loved this team for a long as I can remember.

When it comes to the NFL, I suppose that I support the Dallas Cowboys because of my family's affinity and the local support but I don't care too much for supporting any one team in the NFL. It's just more an appreciate and following of the sport as a whole.

In defiance of locality, I don't follow the Dallas Mavericks but instead the San Antonio Spurs, a team that is a good five hours farther from my hometown than Dallas. This comes largely because I met David Robinson (Center for the Spurs) during the prime of his career and I was sold ever since.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Jun 14, 2011 6:07 pm

I'm surprised that we aren't being flooded with Mavericks "fans" that will now claim to have been here from the beginning.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RedRaine on Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:31 pm

I'm somewhat surprised why no one is posting here like crazy about why the Canucks lost.

...Wait there's one. xD

RedRaine
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Greeter Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:47 am

Tim Thomas. That is all.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!