Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

An Terribly Vague Idea (Music-ish/Fictional Characters)

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

An Terribly Vague Idea (Music-ish/Fictional Characters)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:01 pm

A thought came to me that doesn't involve a plot whatsoever. I would need some major help with the plot line if any of this came to be.

The very basic idea I have has to do with song names. More importantly, songs with people names. Examples: "Josie" by Blink 182 or "Eleanor Rigby" by The Beatles or "Louie" and "Stella" by Ida Maria. I don't just mean the songs with only a name. It could be "Stacy's Mom" by Fountains of Wayne too where you could be either Stacy or her mother. Or there's "Katherine Kiss Me" from Franz Ferdinand. With that, we could create characters based on the characters of these songs with their personalities, etc. and supposed mannerisms.

Like I said, I'm not sure of the plot. I'm not sure if it would be some random plot that one of you will think of that will be something marvelous, or if the characters were pulled out of the songs for some reason that would have to be decided. But the latter was sort of already done a while back except with characters from books and I don't exactly want to steal part of an idea. That's what I need help with.

So in conclusion, I have an idea where we use names of people from songs ... and that's it. Any ideas, or what do you think of these ideas? Let me know. Discuss, discuss!

*I used big font because I wrote so little ... if you were wondering.*

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: An Terribly Vague Idea (Music-ish/Fictional Characters)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:11 pm

From Sarah With Love by Sarah Connor
Deidre's Lament (traditional Celtic)
Eric's Song by Vienna Teng
Anna Rose by Vienna Teng
Grandmother Song by Vienna Teng
Shasta (Carrie's Song) by Vienna Teng
No Gringo by Vienna Teng
My Medea by Vienna Teng
Lucy by Skillet
The Horsetamer's Daughter by Julia Ecklar
Maybe There's a Loving God by Sara Groves
Mother by Sami Yusuf
Pillars of Salt by Murder by Death

Just some ideas for songs that tell a story of a particular person or character. Good luck!
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SithFaced on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:41 pm

I like the idea~ haha I'd be willing to work on something with you, I suppose. :)

I'll be adding more songs to this list as I think of them... haha
I know they probably don't all fit exactly to what you were think of... but, eh. I tried. XD

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

1. "Daniel" ~ Bat For Lashes
2. "Cassie" ~ Flyleaf
3. "Angry Angel" ~ Imogen Heap
4. "The Beautiful People" ~Marylin Manson
5. "Boys and Girls" ~ LM.C (Look up the English Lyrics)
6. "Angels fall first" ~ Nightwish
7. "Beauty and the Beast" ~ Nightwish
8. "Breath Me" ~ SIA
9. "The Creationist" ~ Kerli
10. "Dead Boy's Poem" ~ Nightwish
11. "Dear Mr. President" ~ P!nk
12. "Diary of Jane" ~ Breaking Benjamin
13. "Disposable Teens" ~ Marilyn Manson
14. "Don't Trust Me" ~ 3OH!3
15. "Enter Sandman" ~ Metallica
16. "Eva" ~ Nightwish
17. "Evil Angel" ~ Breaking Benjamin
18. "Family Snapshot" ~ Peter Gabriel
19. "Gollum's Song" ~ Lord of the Rings :: The Two Towers
20. "Gothic Lolita" ~ Emili Autumn
21. "Hey There Dalilah" ~ Plain White T's
22. "Little Sister" ~ Queens of the Stone Age
23. "Living Dead Girl" ~ Rob Zombie
24. "St. Jimmy" ~ Green Day
25. "Thank God I'm Pretty" ~ Emili Autumn
26. "You" ~ Breaking Benjamin
y do i have a ƒεεℓเɳɠ ᵗʰⁱˢ ⁱˢ ᵃ ᴡᴇɪʀᴅʟʏ ᴇʟᴀʙᴏʀᴀᴛᴇ ՏℍⅈtℙᝪՏt

SithFaced
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Person of Interest Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby korr.a on Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:44 pm

You could always try some '80s or other older music if you're wanting songs that mention names etc.

Here's a few off the top of my head :
More than a feeling by Boston
Amanda by Boston
Janie's got a gun by Aerosmith
Oh Sherrie by Steve Perry
Mickey by Toni Basil
Come On Eileen by Dixie's Midnight Runner
Jack & Diane by John Cougar Mellencamp
Jessie's girl by Rick Springfield

I, like Ylanne, wish you luck. And, though I don't have the time to join another roleplay at the moment, I will gladly help you brainstorm on a plot if you would like.

korr.a
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Fri Sep 11, 2009 10:36 pm

Well thanks for all the songs, but it's not really something I needed. People would choose their own songs/characters. I'm more wanting ideas for plots, not songs. Way to list though :) Anybody have ideas ... for plots?

iamsheena
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby korr.a on Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:01 pm

A bit morbid perhaps but one of the first things that popped into my head when you mentioned names was serial killers because of the weird patterns most are known for using. If you did want to stick with just names as an element, you could have an antagonist specifically after people with names mentioned in music. Said antagonist doesn't necessarily be out to off people but could be after something else, the roleplay perhaps being about these people in some way and whatever the antagonist is after them for. Anywho, it's still a bit vague but that's my two cents.

korr.a
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Greeter Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:50 am

If you did something involving serial killers, I would be in. :D I'm a crime writer. How could I possibly resist that?

Other plot ideas: A character driven roleplay like the one in my signature or Character Driven Roleplay 2, where the song serves as inspiration for the characters involved.

Otherwise, I got nothing. To be sho'. But I could try and think of something if you really want me to do so. . .

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby iamsheena on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:49 pm

Yasashisa no Botan wrote:A bit morbid perhaps but one of the first things that popped into my head when you mentioned names was serial killers because of the weird patterns most are known for using. If you did want to stick with just names as an element, you could have an antagonist specifically after people with names mentioned in music. Said antagonist doesn't necessarily be out to off people but could be after something else, the roleplay perhaps being about these people in some way and whatever the antagonist is after them for. Anywho, it's still a bit vague but that's my two cents.

I do like where you're going with that. It feels like that'd be something interesting to do. I'd love to get a little more than two cents, perhaps a dollar if you have can find enough pennies? Hmm ... I need to ponder on that a bit.

Treali Storm wrote:. . . where the song serves as inspiration for the characters involved. . . .

I kind of have something to go off of that - image-wise - but no story or plot. So really, it gives me some lovely images in my head but words are unavailable right now. I will ponder that one as well.

Isn't "ponder" a nice word?

Also, whoever's idea is chosen or at least, who helps the most, will definitely get credit where it's due and can be number one on the top of the totem pole if they so choose. Or whatever works. Just to let you know there's the option if you were curious.

iamsheena
Member for 16 years

This sounds like something quite interesting. When I saw the description, I immediately thought of 21st Century Breakdown, which I've been obsessed with for a while now.

I'll look into joining when the OOC is up, but since you asked for ideas for plots, might I suggest a near-future dystopian setting? Not exactly a hardcore, super-suppressive dystopia like The Matrix, but maybe with a control-of-the-masses, Brave New World sort of feel?

Usually I'd throw in some fantasy plot ideas too, but my fantasy muse became discontented with me and decided to leave on an unannounced vacation. So yeah.
Want to know more? Read the book to find out.

There's a strange man sitting on the sofa munchiwunching on lomticks of toast!

Mindscrew Min-Min
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby jager0727 on Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:09 am

So I stumbled upon this thread (and this site actually) while, ironically enough, looking up songs with fictional characters in them for a roleplaying game.
anyway I just thought I'd throw out maybe a Don quixote sort of thing where for some reason these people are just regular individuals who for some reason all think they're really these characters. Maybe they're all in an asylum or something happened to all of them, at any rate the reason for the delusion could be tied to how they end up interacting with each other.
sorry, I know it's not real well fleshed out but thought I'd throw it out there

jager0727
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NorthernSoul on Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:37 am

This could be interesting, as long as the characters aren't too cliched or two-dimensional. I second the dystopia idea too.

NorthernSoul
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!