Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Once and Future King

The Once and Future King

a part of “The Once and Future King”, a fictional universe by Kohananinja.

The veil between the realms of Fae and Man is thinning, and our world once again has need of its greatest king. Enter the reincarnation of King Arthur and his court as they battle dark Fae, Mordred, and their own fate.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Once and Future King”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: The Once and Future King

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:37 am

I've submitted the introductory post as well, if anyone would like to read it. I hope you enjoy.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:17 am

Okay Koh...I love Mordred. Love...love him. He is wonderfully well crazy.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:37 am

Thanks. It kind of creeped me out how easy it was to write for him, given that he came off to me as the textbook example of a homicidal sociopath with a dangerous case of dissociation and lack of empathy. In his own way, he’s kind of hilarious though…*shrugs helplessly*

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:37 pm

Hmmm... would you mind if I took Sir Gareth? He's not on the list, I'm aware, but I was quite intrigued by his story.

Zero Reaper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:37 pm

Not at all, go right ahead! That was just a base character list of generally well know characters. Feel free to draw up a sheet if that's your fancy! :)

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Zero Reaper on Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:54 am

Oh, also, are there any requirements on just who the characters are? Any age limits, demographics, etc.? I have a possible background for Gareth, but it involves him being former US military (psychological medical discharge), and I'm not sure if that fits in with what you've got planned...

Zero Reaper
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:13 am

I don't personally have any age requirements I plan to enforce for this, so if you make a good case for an older character, I will of course allow it. I'm looking for interesting characters, so feel free to at least submit the character sheet.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:07 am

Ugh. So I submitted but it is the wrong pic for the avatar and it won't let me change it. If it is appearing as Brennan to you Koh let me know and I will just get rid of it and see if that helps.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Contributor Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:37 am

It looks ok to me. Cool character btw. :)

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:42 am

Thanks. I had hoped she'd work.

Edit...

I still see Brennan's pic and it is annoying! Should I put somewhere that she is Guinevre or is it workable as is? I just realized that it is only really clear in my head lol

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:03 am

You can always edit the contents part of your character and embed the pic you want there. I'm not sure who Brennan is or the relevence myself...

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:09 am

LOL it is fixed now and it was my avatar pic from Stand and Deliver/Gentlemen Robbers (Brennan/Elsbeth) It suddenly fixed itself. I had to keep loading it and I editted it like three times. Anyway, all good now.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:28 am

OH! Ok, I get what you're aying now. I never saw the Brennan pic, so I was fairly confused about what you were talking about, lol.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SkullsandSlippers on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:36 am

Got it. Seems like it was just me and when I looked at the sheet lol.

SkullsandSlippers
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Jan 26, 2013 3:22 am

Here's the first installment of the directory for you all. This portion concerns how magic works within this universe, and the laws that govern it. I hope you all will give it a read. If you have any more questions after this, let me know, and I'll try and nswer them for you.

Directory of Magic and Magic Related Creatures: Issue 1

Preface: It is important for all who attempt to understand magic to know, that all magic comes from Faery. That is to say the realms that are adjacent, yet separate from the realm of man where the Fae originate and reside. In a time before the veil was erected, creating a tangible barrier between the realms, that magic flowed freely into this world. Witches, sorcerers, oracles, and the great healers all derived their powers from the Fae, and it should be noted that these people are not fully human in the strictest of senses. The power to use magic in this world comes exclusively from the Fae, and any mortal with such abilities have Fae blood in them as well. That is not to say that all great magic wielders had a Fae parent, but you will find they all have a Fae ancestor somewhere down the line. In some uncommon cases, the “magic gene” so to speak can lye dormant for generations, reappearing suddenly with a vengeance and creating powerful magic users. Most are aware of this magic however, as it tends to be a family trade, such as the case with most witches, and after so much dilution becomes rather limited. These however, are cases that will be further detailed below.

Types of Magic:

Spells: Mostly in incantation form with accompanied ingredients and possible sacrifice, spells are both the most common and most varied form of magic. Regardless of the spell, there is always a prep time associated with it, and one’s words must be chosen very carefully, as Fae magic is very literal. Spells also feed off collective will and energy, so the more people you have involved with a spell, the more powerful it will be. That is often why you will find witches clustered together in covens. One witch may be weak, but an army together is unstoppable. Spells can range from something as small as a finder spell, or object manipulation to something as strong as creating a barrier or protection around a building. Spells involving other living creatures cannot be accomplished however, unless the spellcaster is either in physical contact with the person of interest, or has included a piece of them (such as a lock of hair) into the ingredients.

Potions: The concept of potions are rather self-explanatory, but the easiest way to think of them, is like ready-made portable spells. Potions must be made by a magic user, and the ingredients for the potion exact. In many ways, potion brewing is like chemistry, and are often used for medical purposes by witches. Not all potions are benevolent though. Some can be used as untraceable poisons, or other such malevolent purposes, or they can be as frivolous as the common and ever stereotypical love potion (which is in reality only a temporary infatuation that makes the taker unbearably attracted to the person the potion is used by for a short period of time) that can be purchased at any legitimate witch story one comes across. It is also important to note, that while a potion must be brewed by someone who can use magic, the person using the potion does not.

Charms: A charm is a general term for benevolent spell that is placed permanently or semi-permanently on an object or living being. This does not include object manipulation. A common example might be a singing teapot, or a door to a magic shop creaking in a way that makes the establishment sound more “witchy”. Charms placed on animals are harder, and on people are even more difficult. It takes a lot of power to place a charm on a person, and can even lead to permanent drains on one’s magical abilities if attempted. That is why it is much easier to place charms on objects, and have them work as middle men for the desired effects. Lucky coins, are the common example.

Curses: Much like Charms, Curse is the general term for a malevolent spell placed permanently or semi-permanently on and object or living being. The same generals rules and risks apply with curses that apply to charms, but most curses, especially the powerful kind, have counter curses that have been developed to combat or remove these effects.

Blood Magic: Perhaps the most powerful and dangerous form of magic in existence, blood magic is not a practice for the faint of heart, and is an art shunned by most respectable covens. All magic comes with a price, and in some way requires a form of sacrifice. With spells the burning of certain ingredients, or the permanent change of an object into something else works as that sacrifice, but blood magic takes this a powerful step further. Any form of magic that requires either blood or the sacrifice of a living being is considered blood magic. Certain blood is also considered more powerful than others. Virgin blood for instance, is considered particularly potent because of its purity. The blood of important people can also increase the power of a spell, due to the level of the sacrifice. Specific blood will also be necessary for spells that target specific people, as blood carries a strong connection with life and one’s essence. The reason blood magic is so infamous, besides the ritualistic human sacrifice types of spells, also has to do with the kind of spells associated with it. Adding blood to a spell does not simply make a spell more potent, it awakens a kind of magic that devour that person’s essence, opening them up to all sorts of nasty things, like mind control, body binding, and the kind of curses that do lasting irreparable harm.

Genetic Special Abilities: These powers typically appear only in people who have had a fae ancestor within the last three generations, or develop from one of the rare repressed gene cases from a longer line of dissention. With the veil thinning however, more and more children with distant fae heritage are developing these abilities. This phenomenon has been attributed to the increase of magic leaking into our world from Faery through the thinning veil. These abilities are highly specialized, and tend to either reflect the individual’s soul, or their Fae ancestor. Some examples of a power these individuals have had include empathy, enhanced strength, various forms of telepathy, shape shifting, the gift of foresight, and the ability to understand languages.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby daughterofdon on Sat Jan 26, 2013 7:41 pm

Thanks for the lowdown on magic things, Koh!

I have submitted my character for Lancelot. I'm tickled by the idea of his roomies being other reincarnated knights. Perhaps I'll make my Sir Kay one of them, though I still haven't made up my mind what I'm going to do with Kay exactly. Any other knight--Gareth?--is invited as well. :)

daughterofdon
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Jan 26, 2013 9:10 pm

I don't know why, but I totally visualized Jay Baruchel when reading your description for Louis, lol. He has of course been accepted eagerly with open arms. :)

I'm kinda surprised no one's gone for Sir Pelleas yet, as I kind of envisioned him as this cool older detective sort of character, who's in denial big time regarding his past life. With serial killer Mordred on our hands it makes for a good link too...

Uhg, if no one else is willing to pick him up, I may just have to, he's too good a character. I'm trying not to overload myself on characters this story though (it honestly gets exhausting) and I'm already up to four, possibly five before couting NPC backgroup plot characters I'm moving about as well.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Aftershock on Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:34 pm

@Daughterofdon

He's not a reincarnated knight, but how about Aiden as one of the roomies? I've moved him to Ambrose anyway, just for the convenience of having that connection with Arey and Louis

Aftershock
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Jan 26, 2013 11:15 pm

Hey, for all the characters who have been approved, feel free to post as well since I've already gotten the intro post up already.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby noonshine on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:27 am

Hello Koh, daughter, skull.........remember me? *laughs evilly*

Anyway can i reserve Merlin, i think he may suit me
There is not a single thing more potent than the written word

noonshine
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!