Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Echo Legacy: Burdens of Honor

Echo Legacy: Burdens of Honor

a part of “Echo Legacy: Burdens of Honor”, a fictional universe by Jag.

Operating deep behind enemy lines with no reinforcements on the way, the crew of the EDF Atlas battle with enemies outside and within. For duty. For honor. For survival.

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Echo Legacy: Burdens of Honor”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: Echo Legacy: Burdens of Honor

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Agafan on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:39 pm

No, I meant on the whole because I'm a complete noob and I don't know anybody. x3
There's a fine line between not listening and not caring. I like to think that I walk that line every day of my life.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Agafan
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:58 pm

I will my best to have a response on the OOC side for everyone that is waiting for me by the end of the night, but I can make any promises. Dealing with some site issues at the moment that unfortunately have to take priority for me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Sun Apr 29, 2012 6:36 pm

Okay Jag. I was just wondering. :P What's going down in the mainframe?

"When I see you lately I'm wondering on White roses, caskets Your name on a stone."

Seraph
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Agafan on Tue May 01, 2012 2:17 pm

Oh, okay I guess...

Agafan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Wed May 02, 2012 8:32 am

Just to clarify, the only people who were chosen by SAPS and placed at Triton Station (before its destruction and wherever the system is placing them now) are officers. If you're enlisted, then you likely signed up at 17 or so of your own will. There isn't a draft in place.

I'm going to try to respond to some posts today. I've been swamped with a sea of administrative duties, a number of major trials at work, moving, and general life. I apologize for the delay on getting things going and encourage you guys to work things out. If you feel like you can take the ball in a scene and run with it, feel free.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Korrye on Wed May 02, 2012 10:41 am

I'm back and I have internet. (:

Korrye
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Agafan on Wed May 02, 2012 12:22 pm

Ohhhhhhhhh. Ceglan's enlisted so it's like. Boom.
Also, hi. ^w^

Agafan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Wed May 02, 2012 4:56 pm

Welcome back Korrye. We missed you. :)

Realistically, every army through out history has inducted a draft at some point or another. War is a virtual numbers game. Doesn't matter how high tech you are, if you don't have the manpower to fill the lesser roles, your army is going to lose the fight because it can't sustain itself. I'm not saying that to be counter intuitive Jag, this IS your role play. But for my point being valid, if the Thalians are capable of encroaching on the base world, which I am assuming is Earth--then they have obviously bested the humans not just by sheer technological progression, but also by volume of numbers. At some point the humans would have needed to draft outside the norm because of the losses that they've taken they can not restore. The unscrupulous and and I dare say cut throats of the famished military of the human forces was such, that it could no longer protect its boarders of its own galaxy and/or sector around the Homeworld.

This is why I am led to believe, that the human forces have taken on a draft. Because if a lone capital ship was forced to evacuate into possibly uncharted or hostile environments, to bring the war to a decisive close in the favor of the humans-then the Thalians arguably have killed more humans than the humans can keep up with. Its essentially the same effect as the Americans in the Pacific Theater. We bombed Hiroshima and Nagasaki, not just to eliminate a valued target like a factory--but to rectify the mentality of the Japanese people to prevent further hemorrhaging of human life--on both sides.

Characters like Miles Dyson, who were indoctrinated not because they had the MOS (Military Occupational Specialty) that virtually was encoded into every service member, but because they had experience in combat once the war had started. However, even though Miles had combat experience he was too young to accepted into the Corps. However, as he matured and grew up, they facilitated him into the Marines AFTER they had been in prolonged engagements with Thalian forces. You read my profile and you accepted this theory. Which again, has some basis in fact and coincides with your roleplay's parameters.

That said, would you like me to tend to your character long enough to issue an order to my character so that we may be able to progress? If so, I would be interested in hearing what your character the Lt Cmdr had planned as far as this "space walk" is concerned?
Last edited by Seraph on Wed May 02, 2012 5:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seraph
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Agafan on Wed May 02, 2012 5:04 pm

And I just edited it about him enlisting as well. -huff-
Unless y'know, they weren't drafting. Or... He joined before the War started...

Agafan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Wed May 02, 2012 5:12 pm

You could in theory do that. I'm not the game master here. However, Miles would still more than likely hold seniority due to his sheer service record and combat analysis. He's referred to honorably as "Iron Mike". In Marine Jargon, Iron Mike is a term that simply put--means he passed his physical exams with perfect scores at least once if not more. This is especially impressive due to the fact he'd been shot in the head, and one of his eyes are fake. Though, no one but medical officers know about this one. Though one eye is a slight variation lighter than the second.

Nevertheless, he's over come these set backs due in large part to an incredible and human trait. Rapid Adaptation. While humans won't in all likely hood grow spines, or secrete a thick mucous from our pores--it does rapidly evolve. Every day it evolves. Fighting parasites, bacteria, fungal infections and virals. The white blood ceels create immunities, and antigens. The brain adapts as well. This is where you hear the telltale of a blind man with "infinitely" better hearing. While I contest the infinitely part, the hearing DOES become more acute in its places. As does taste, touch, smell. Our bodies can adapt to a wide variety of climates as well.
Last edited by Seraph on Wed May 02, 2012 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seraph
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Agafan on Wed May 02, 2012 5:20 pm

Oh, of course he does. Although Ceglan is a Scout Sergeant, which means all the recon units/Scout Marines (which admittedy probably aren't many on the ship) are under his direct command, then they fold into the regular Marines, who I believe are, on this ship, under the command of Miles?
At least, that's the thing that would make sense, I think.

Agafan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Wed May 02, 2012 5:38 pm

Miles directs every junior NCO and can have direct command over any enlisted soldier that is a Marine period. It is the highest enlisted rank (I'm assuming Us Military because there was no set procedure as to how the military was actually set up, just that it was simple 'divided' in to the Navy and Marines, although I have made fun of the Army in character.) He is senior NCO of Battalion-level groups and less. So anything under a Battalion be it a squad, company, etc--he's got seniority regardless of specialty. He can appoint positions under his rank but never above. If we ARE going by the United States format, then the Sergeant Major is on the same pay scale as a Master Gunnery Sergeant, yet he is held as the higher NCO.

The Navy has to go through him to commission the Marines. If he feels they are best suited to another task than say, what the Master Chief, a Naval enlisted man has assigned his men to do, then he can counter act the order. The only person on board the Atlas that can willingly, and legitimately command the Marines in the case of an emergency, are the Captain firstly and the Lieutenant commander. However, this can only be done in the case of an emergency. For a mundane task it first must go through the Sergeant Major who must clarify and assign the objective if he sees it fit. Then and only then can he willingly belay orders from a captain. Marines have their command structure separate from the Navy though the two work in close proximity.

Seraph
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Wed May 02, 2012 7:03 pm

All posting is suspended immediately until I can make some personnel decisions regarding our roster of characters and writers. I apologize for the delay, but this absolutely necessary.

Thank you.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Wed May 02, 2012 8:41 pm

I certainly hope it was nothing I said. I was just going by with what I know, and what makes the most logical sense. Like I said, at the end of the day, its your game. I'm just the gamer. If you make a decision I don't agree with, I'm a big boy I can handle it. But if it was something that I mentioned, I hope you can have the decency to tell me. Send me a PM when ever you decide to continue, I may be offline a few days. I'm writing my new book.

Seraph
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Wed May 02, 2012 9:07 pm

We have an issue and I'd like to take care of it as swiftly as possible.

The focus of the Echo Legacy series has never been on technical distincts and formalities. The idea is to use the military and politicial situation as a backdrop for character tension, conflict and development. There's a reason that I've avoided getting into the realm of heavy science fiction by elaborating on the technology of the jump gates, propulsion of the ship, or any of the other mechanical developments. Similar to the original Star Wars trilogy, I don't want to spend a lot of time explaining how hyperdrive works, I just want to use it as a mechanism for telling a good story.

The recent OOC discussion has turned into arguments on harsh technicalities based on a system that may or may not have anything to do with the system as employed within the game. As it stands, rank bickering and the like isn't something in which we're going to engage. The tone that we're taking with each other is a very combative one and isn't productive to being a team. If there is an issue with the larger direction of the game, please try to bring it up in a constructive manner and, failing that, in private. Firing forward with all guns blazing in a "you're wrong and here's why" attitude is something that really doesn't work well.

As much as I hate to pull this card, I stated on the front page of this RP that I reserve the right to make any changes to the game as necessary. To that end, Seraph, I've decided to remove your character and have you step away from the game. I feel like there is a combative nature to the way not only that you're approaching me, but also how you're handling the IC relationship of characters regarding rank and status within the ship.

I foresee that this is only going to be a bigger issue later. This is something that I see within the NRP factions and their RP constantly and it's not something I want to touch here. I apologize for the confusion and lack of attention I've given lately and sincerely thank you (as well as everyone else) for your time and contributions to the game.

Thank you to one and all.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seraph on Wed May 02, 2012 11:18 pm

As I have stated before--this is your game and I will abide your rules. However Jag, I must add in my constructive and destructive criticisms as well. As is my right to do so. It is not entirely my fault the way my character became a failure. Your use of "hyper space jumping" had nothing to do with the mechanics of the game that I was referring to. How you jumped was never the issue. WHY you jumped was only a slight observation. Science-fiction, no matter how far "advanced" has to make logical sense. You have this "militaristic" head of stat estate, that seems by accounts totalitarian in essence or at the very least a militarism fashion that promotes growth and of course an expansive military ethic.

This tells any person that knows what they are talking about--that this EDF is governed by a smaller body of government. Your failure was not thoroughly planning the details of this game out. You said you needed " Marines". Unless I am mistaken, you never specified once in our back and forth personal message what kind of structure the military abide by. As I have previously also stated, I go by what I only know. I understand that you have responsibilities as an administrator, however, that did not stop you from creating the game in the first place. Everyone has a busy life, sir. I have served to country from Afghanistan to Iraq and back again before I had my injury. I was a Sergeant. Bur just because I was discharged because I had a cerebral hemorrhage. What does that have to do with anything,well, allow my to further elaborate.

The point I was making the Agafan was that there is no secular Sergeant, Army or Marine Corp, Air Force or the Navy that held the title he described. Miles Dyson was a legitimate character that he had approved BEFORE Agafan had even entered the picture. You hd read my file, approved it--never once gave me a heads up that that the military structure was somewhat different than that what I had assumed it to be. Which as stated, was based off the United States Military command structure. I have had plenty of interaction with my superiors on the battle field and off of it. So you're basically disqualifying for YOUR failure to communicate effective and to be thorough which I find completely unethical both as a a game master and an administrator.

I wasn't"rank bickering", I was implying stating a fact based on an poorly formed introduction and game set up. I would have happily changed my rank or offered some suggestions in compromise to the predicament. Yet, you automatically deem it a necessity to remove me altogether like I am a threat. A Sergeant Major in the Marine Corp IS the highest enlisted man. He has a authority over ALL less rank in Marine command. You wouldn't see an air force pilot trying to tell a Naval Captain how to run her ship. The Marine Cord DO have their own command and the Navy MUST abide but it in the sense that the Marines cannot order a Naval ensign, or lower to do something without first clarifying it with their own command structure.

The failure was yours to begin with but you ASKED ME to join and so I did because you needed Marines. If they weren't run like that, all you needed to do was send me a PM and inform me in a cordial manner that you EDF did not follow United States protocol instead of being mellow-dramatic, pausing the game--like it as going somewhere to begin with--only to tell me rudely that my services weren't required and and king a rather large spectacle than it needed to be.

So, for future engagements--be very thorough with your games so there arena misunderstandings, no one has to waste their time waiting for posts that will never occur. You are not the only one overwhelmed. I was recently diagnosed with cancer--been in an out of chemo and I'm sicker than a dog yet I always looked forward towards the progression of this story arc. What you have YET to fulfill me in on, is why character is no longer good enough when you had to review his profile in the first place.

This is not me being entirely irate, just simply frustrated that I’ve put all this time in this character, you approved him, I was waiting on you to respond and now you say I can no longer play. I think I am in the right to feel justifiable in wanting to fully understand why I can't be part of the RP.

Seraph
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Agafan on Thu May 03, 2012 1:01 am

I feel I should maintain a diplomatic silence at this point, and shall not offer my opinions.

Agafan
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Thu May 03, 2012 7:38 am

I understand that you are upset with my decision and you feel that your position is right. In no way do I question your experience as a member of the United States Armed Forces or belittle the vast knowledge you've gained from that. My best friend is a former Major for the USMC with three combat tours under his belt and I have nothing but respect for those who put on the uniform and serve the United States of America.

You state that I should have come to you privately and explained the changes or distinctions that needed to be made. I feel that the same courtesy should have been extended to me rather than you posting long explanations on how none of my roleplay makes sense, how I was wrong, and how by accepting your character I'd accepted everything that you'd implied in your profile as canon and law into this RP. If failing to communicate professionally was a failure in my part, then surely we both failed in this exercise and need to improve in the future.

This is not the United States Armed Forces, nor is this an attempt to realistically recreate every detail involved in the structure of a true military. I don't know enough to make that a possibility, nor is that something that I desire. I wanted to create a strong character drama using the setting as a backdrop and a means to an end. I see now that you and I have a very different approach and opinion in that regard and that only further reinforces that the decision I am making is the right one for you, me, and Echo Legacy. I'm not going to run this RP the way that you want and you aren't going to happy if the details aren't pristine.

I appreciate your comments. Maybe I do need to spend more time, although the six months this RP was under construction speaks that I didn't just throw this together at the last second. I simply don't wish to focus on the details onto which you've latched as key. I don't feel they serve the story, the writers, or the purpose of Echo Legacy. If I misled you in that regard, I wholeheartedly apologize as that was never my intention.

Seeing as how this has been a contentious time and many of us are upset and bothered by the events of the last few days, I'm going to continue to posting hiatus for a little longer and, further, lock this thread for a few days to allow everyone some time to cool off before we continue. To everyone who has participated in this RP on any level, I truly appreciate you sharing your time and talents,r regardless of whether it "worked out" or not. For my shortcomings as a GM, I apologize to all of you. Thank you.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Wed Jun 13, 2012 3:12 pm

Let's talk, team. Are we in a position to start posting again?

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Agafan on Wed Jun 13, 2012 6:37 pm

Woot! Every day!

Agafan
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!