Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Re: Twilight series/movie: love it or hate it?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kyvon_McFashion on Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:45 pm

I found the movie quite subpar. My particular demographic was highly under represented, and the actors in it were not nearly good enough to warrant a good McFashion viewing. The male lead was simply appalling, and was, dare I say, the ugliest human being it has ever been my distinct displeasure to lay eyes upon. When one has been in my present occupation as long as I have, this is quite a feat. I also have it on good authority that he is a pedophile.

As for the books, I have only paged through a copy of the first I confiscated from a business associate, and was thoroughly disgusted by it. The author is best described as being to literature what a generous pile of fecal matter is to a delectable Kobe Beef pie, fresh from the oven. I also have it on good authority that she is a frequent user of crack cocaine.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Kyvon_McFashion
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby NeonBride on Wed Dec 17, 2008 7:57 pm

The only thing I hate more than Twilight are it's fans. Over in the UK only people who really have no friends like it ¬_¬
Never Wanted To Dance With Nobody But You <3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

NeonBride
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:38 am

The only thing worse than a hyped up piece of shit is its fans/worshippers. Though, I think that's been said already.

I'm bugged by something technical eariler in the thread. Why the hell did articefive need a half dozen posts to make his (or her? I swear I can't tell) replies?

Secondly, articefive stated he was male... and in love with Edward? Ooookay, didn't need to know that information. Nothing against gays but a guy loving/worshipping another guy as if they were Jesus or something is creepy as hell. Especially when the guy being worshipped isn't even real.

On to the topic. I read about half of Twilight (further than any 20 year old guy should get in that series, to be frank) and quite literally trashed the book. I hate romance (sorry ladies), but gave Twilight a chance because of it's so-called vampire element. Vampires? I don't care how in love with that book you are, but those people were NOT vampires. Why? The reasons were already stated by those such as Kilt_man, the biggest one being the whole sparkle in the sun bullshit.

Disturbingly enough, though, my mom (who is about 50) read the book and said she kind of liked it. Strange, considering my mom is a die-hard Christian and because of such hardly goes near the world of vampires, werewolves, demons and whatnot. She liked Twilight and yet thinks HP is satanic? I don't need to say how wrong that seems, considering she liked LotR. I swear, it's the whole romance thing. It has to be, like any stereotypical woman, my mom adores chick flicks like A Walk to Remember and Return to Me... excuse me a moment *runs to the bathroom and pukes*... ugh... err... where was I? Oh yeah...

Enough about my mom. These other books and authors other people are saying are genius. I've never heard of any of them. I had always thought the literary legends were authors such as Charles Dickens (Moby Dick, A Christmas Carol, Great Expectations, I could go on), Mark Twain (Adventures on the MIssissippi stories, Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn), and Alexander Pierre (I think that's his name, he wrote The Count of Monte Cristo and The Three Musketeers)? I dunno, maybe I'm just in love with classic literature?

Xeynar
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:51 pm

Uuhh .. The Three Musketeers was Alexandre Dumas, but I TOTALLY catch your drift. I'm a BIG fan of classics. Great Expectations is one of my favorite books, but on the flip side A Tale of Two Cities was horrocious. (Yeah I made that one up .. I think). Though I'm going to have to disappoint you and say that my favorite classics writer is Jane Austen. The Bronte Sisters are good, too. But, what can I say? I am a girl and cannot resist a GOOD love story.

Mark Twain makes me wanna vom. ev. though. I couldn't get through Huck Finn for love or money.

But then again, I never put much stock in what is supposedly 'great' literature. Kafka makes me wanna shoot myself in the head, and so does Nathaniel Hawthorne. Right now I'm reading Gulliver's Travels. Jonathan Swift seems like he might be another one of those who makes me wanna kill everything, but we'll see.

The short and long is ... Smeyer should NOT be considered a literary legend, but for some reason I have a feeling that people are going to think she is one, and it upsets me.
We'd be so less fragile
If we're made from metal
And our hearts from iron
And our minds from steel.
But if we built an armor
For our tender bodies
Could we love each other?
Would we start to feel?

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:50 am

Dumas! That was it! Thank you. I didn't care for Monte Cristo that much, but the Three Musketeers is one of the big dogs of classic literature, right up there with Moby Dick and Huck Finn. Those were just some of the legendary novels I know of. I haven't read Sawyer or Finn, but I have read Adventures on the Mississippi, it was actually about Twain's own younger years working on a steam boat that went up and down the Mississippi River.

Let's see, which ones did I read...

A Christmas Carol: Who hasn't? Or at least seen one of the dozens of films. Seriously, about two thirds of all Christmas stories have some inspiration from this book. Truly remarkable, I think.

Great Expectations: Read it for school. I liked it, but I couldn't stand Pip's love/obsession with that bitchy rich girl who treated him like crap (forgot her name... Stella? I dunno).

Adventures on the Mississippi: Wasn't too bad. Like I said, it's about Twain's younger years working on a steamboat.

Count of Monte Cristo: Read part of it. It was ok but Edmund Dantes was a bit overly obsessed with his revenge. Still, I guess I'd pretty pissed off too if my best friend landed me in a torturous prison and married/banged my girlfriend while I was gone. I saw the movie, and it wasn't too horrible, but the book was probably better.

Gulliver's Travels: I liked it. Especially the island of the little people and the other island of giants. Pretty funny stuff.

I'd love to read Three Musketeers when I get a chance to. I love Medieval-Renniscance(bet I spelled it wrong) period stories, like the Musketeers and King Arthur legends. I also read some of the well known Epics like Beowulf and The Oddessy (bet I spelled that one wrong too xD). Speaking of Beowulf, if don't know whether you should read it or watch the movie: READ IT. I swear to you on my grandmother's grave that the movie COMPLETELY butchers the original story, NOTHING is the same, pretty much.

Xeynar
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Person of Interest Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby True_Grave on Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:30 am

Only the newest Beowulf movie butchers the story. The Beowulf movie I saw on Sci-Fi stuck to the story of the poem. I'm not much for reading the classics. But probably the best book I have read in that category is Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. Wonderful book, really. Anyway, I've said my piece on Twilight, and I don't wish to drag this too much off topic.
"]Image

True_Grave
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Concierge Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eventide on Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:14 am

The OP basically summed up all my pent up, bitter feelings towards Twilight and Stephanie Meyer. I've read the first book and have not seen the movie yet, I probably will soon when I'm ready for some laughs.

The thing is, even if some books are written poorly, I can get through it if the characters or plot shine through the garble. If the characters and plot are unoriginal trash but the writing is beautifully crafted, I can at least learn some new writing techniques and vocabulary, right?

Yet Twilight has unoriginal, cookie-cutter characters that appear as gray blobs in my mind, blobbing around an equally gray setting and occasionally confusing and troubling me with flashes of "glittering skin" or "white teeth". Their interactions with each other is equally disturbing, especially when Bella nearly always fawns and compliments Edward's exterior in a first-person perspective that makes me feel oddly like a bird trapped in a very small cage. The plot is laughable, one event happening after another as choppy as stacking building blocks towards the ceiling, only to have them tumble down in a miserable albeit colorful pile a few moments later. I thought the Wikipedia summary of her last book was a joke until someone told me, no, that's it. (The summary is written better than the actual book.)

This is what makes the book popular: "beautiful" vampires and romance

I'm not against those two things, but Stephanie Meyer does them injustice. Injustice is like, an understatement, actually.

But it's understandable that her books are like this because she's just as air-headed as her characters and writing style; I mean, I remember on her website she put up photos of models that she thinks look like her characters.

Eventide
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:12 am

I can't stand romance. I mean, a hero falling in love in the midst of his gret story is fine and all, cause let's face it, it happens when you least expect it. But EdwardxBella is so annoyingly unrealistic it makes me want to only read bloodbaths like Beowulf and the 300.

I mean, according to Meyer, some dumbass girl falls in love with a guy after discovering that he sneaks in her room at night and stares at her while she sleeps? WTF?

And let's not forget how much of an ass Edward really is. He's constantly fucking with Bella and abusing her feelings, and still she believes he the perfect man? Are you freakin' kidding me? If Edward didn't have his so-called Godly looks then Bella would be just as creeped out by the asshole as any REAL girl would be.

And why does their relationship go so ungodly fast? I mean they practically wanna get married after like 2 weeks. The only time that ever happens in reality is if that very couple gets a divorce almost immediately after their marriage.

If they did marry, I predict it SHOULD go like this: Bella discovers just how much of an asshole her perfect Edward really is and learns to hate him, but he probably holds her hostage in the relationship because of how abusive we know he is. At least, that's how their relationship would end the real world. But I seriously doubt Meyer would ever allow that. Knowing her, the more of a prick Edward is, the more Bella fawns and obsesses over him.

Xeynar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby - middleSEX cramp on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:50 am

God. Okay. I only read the first page, because I couldn't be assed to read the whole thread because my fingers are just aching to start typing.

Personally, I am fed up with all this debating and arguing and shit over the Twilight saga. But I'm going to post this anyway.

I read the first two books before it become ever-so-popular and fan-girled, and I didn't mind it. I mean, yes I knew the writing was rather poor, and nothing like what I usually read (see Wilbur Smith and Paulina Simmons), but it touched the hopeless teenage romantic in me. Also, Jacob reminded me of my friends Jacob (HA!) and Cody (whose nickname is Wolf xD). However, as soon as people began obsessing over it, that's when I backed off.

I read the third book, and then introduced it to a friend who came to me for a book. Now, she and I both go by that loved quote "When I was a little girl, I used to think 'screw being a Princess - I want to be a vampire' ". For me, that still stands, because really, a vampire would be so much better then a princess...

Anyway, she is now scarily obsessed with this book. I now think it should be kept from those who obsess over it too much. See, this girl I introduced it to, all she does is eat, sleep, go to school, and read the saga or fan fictions. I don't even know how many times she's read the saga -- she was even reading it on the motorbike when she was meant to be helping her sister muster, and in the toilet because she wasn't allowed to read it 'till she finished assignments...

Well, anyway, enough about her. I also watched the movie - online, mind you - and I'm glad I did, otherwise I would have wasted my money on a pile of shit. I hated it, its up there fighting for place of #1 on my shittest movies list, along with Eragon and Curse of the Ring.

Okay, so, moving on. I really think people should just get over this saga already - get over hating on it and getting off over it - because seriously - the whole shit of it is old. People seem to be failing to realize that yes everyone has their own opinion and yes there are lovers and haters of the saga, but that doesn't mean you should pick a fight with every anti-twilight fan or twilight-fan you come across.

People really need to move on to something new, something worth while debating over. And they need to find new material as well. Because "OMG THEY SPARKLE THATS SO EPIC" just isn't good enough.

Yes, I realize I may have contradicted myself a lot in there. But meh, I'm a scatterbrain.

Oh, and LALAshesang, I noticed you mentioned journalism on the font page -- are you just doing work experience, or actually working as a journalist?

- middleSEX cramp
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LALAshesang on Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:08 pm

It's just a class I happen to be taking to fill up my schedule. I'm not sure if I like it very much, but I took it because the other half of the class is creative writing.

LALAshesang
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby - middleSEX cramp on Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:35 pm

I did twenty days of work experience at my local newspaper, because it was the closest thing to photography. However, I'm a fiction writer, and therefore hated it. I'm also a procastinator, which didn't help much XD

- middleSEX cramp
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sun Dec 28, 2008 10:14 pm

Ahhh, Twilight, okay, I have issues with her vampires in the first place...

She deifies them... I understand the whole, "perfect predator" approach, but it's a disease! It's supposed to be a disease, and the only torture vampires seem to go through is being discovered... the whole, "super powers" with them all sort of is expected from a genuinely sub par writer...

However, I will say this, the movie was better than the book for this reason...

It didn't stop every three seconds to put the word "perfect" next to anything about Edward... oh, and the actress who played Bella is astounding at displaying her three emotions, "Confused, Angry, and Melancholy..." I seriously have a beef with her... whatever her name is... maybe I've been spoiled by actresses who can really pull you into a movie... and I would say it's just bad writing, but I saw her in "In the Land of Women" and she was just as enthusiastic...

Okay, tiny rant over... I still can't get over the sparkling thing, original? totally, but there is no aspect of the vampires which makes them relatable... there should be more struggle, yea the whole "Oh I want to eat you thing, but true love keeps me back" is a great way to pull in people...

But in how many situations do you absolutely love someone but also want to kill them? Character development is a joke if you don't have atleast one human character...

ahhh, feels good to rant...
Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belle Vie on Mon Dec 29, 2008 1:04 am

I don't like Twilight either. You support everything so well. xD
I really am just not into fantasy and the whole obsession factor kills me. I don't see how anyone could be so in love with a fictional character.

The whole 'I fell in love with a vampire' type scene makes me grit my teeth. I don't like it.
I got the Twilight Books for christmas [who didn't. Dx] And I don't even know what to do with them.
They're in a box. Under my bed.
-We're all waiting for something.-

Belle Vie
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Mon Dec 29, 2008 9:25 am

You could always get together with other Anti-Twilights who got the books for Christmas and have yourself a big bonfire and burn 'em all? <_<

Okay that was the Pyro within me talking. Realistically, you could take them to a second hand bookstore and sell them, then use the money for better books or something else?

Xeynar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belle Vie on Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:51 am

Mozenrath: xD
I will consider that. Thanks. [;

That'd actually be pretty fun. Hmmmm. :o
I also got the last book, Brisingr, of Eragon, I'm excited for that one, though. <3

Belle Vie
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uchiha Min-no-ko on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Speaking of returning books, Smeyer made a total scene over fans returning Breaking Dawn. What was that about? o-O

Uchiha Min-no-ko
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xxRedefiningPanic on Thu Jan 01, 2009 7:28 pm

All I'm going to say is that I loved Twilight. I'll stand by it, and defend it.

The only problem is she's not the best writer, and I can't believe you didn't stop reading Breaking down right after Bella got pregnant.
Like seriously, Stephenie, just wtf.

Twilight was amazing, if you ignored the occasional horrible grammar, and whatnot. But then it got worse and worse.
The sad part is, the fans just kept on reading anyway.
:L

Fucking, Breaking Dawn made me cry. I literally wanted to to gouge my own eyes out with a grapefruit spoon.

xxRedefiningPanic
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Belle Vie on Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:26 pm

Uchiha- I heard about that, but I heard that the author was taking out Jacob [the werewolf guy who loves Bella] becuase he doesn't fit the physical description of the Jacob in Twilight/Breaking Dawn.
I hate when authors allow people to make movies when their own characters look nothing like they do on film. Dx

Belle Vie
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Xeynar on Sun Jan 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Kind of hard to find the "perfect" man to play Edward... <_< since no real life person is so perfectly good looking, I say the movie is going to be hated by fans.

Xeynar
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uchiha Min-no-ko on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:06 pm

^
It is and it isn't. Depends on if your a Team Jacober or a Team Edwarder.

And Belle Vie, I hate it too, but sometimes authors have no choice. More to the point, I'm completely lost. o_O

Uchiha Min-no-ko
Member for 16 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!