Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Too Much Information?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Too Much Information?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ollpheist on Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:07 pm

I am a creative writer more than a roleplayer, but I find that "Play-by-Post" roleplays lend themselves to a form of creative writing that I enjoy. I have several ideas for various roleplays (one of which I have spent the better part of a year developing). For the one that immediately comes to mind, I have developed a backstory for Earth and the secondary planet (as to how the two came to interact), as well as a backstory for the vessel that moves humans and aliens to and from the worlds. In addition, I have developed a cultural "rulebook" for the secondary planet. All of this information would make for a great roleplay, I think, but it amounts to probably two hundred written pages of information. Is that too much information for a roleplay?
All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Ollpheist
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Re: Too Much Information?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Crow on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:41 pm

The more detail, and information the better is what I always say. Even in this case I think it is awesome for a person to put so much detail into their writing, but a majority of people just don't have the time to read and take in so much information, so in this case I would say 'yes', 200 pages is too much. That is just my own perception of things, though, so I'm sure that someone else may say otherwise.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr. Crow
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Skallagrim on Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 pm

If you are the GM of the role-play then the information you hold is not too much. You do not need to disseminate the information to the players all at once. Give them what they need to start, the bare necessities to be birthed in your world. The slowly over the course of one or many role-plays, allow them to become more immersed in the world you have created.

I have created vast worlds with histories, peoples and mythologies. These are the basis for my written works like yours, and when I do role-play in these worlds I allow the players a glimpse into the world and let them venture forth and discover more in the story. It is much more organic and enriching to let the world unfold naturally through role-play and exploration.

Skallagrim
The writer who cares more about words than about characters, action, setting, atmosphere is unlikely to create a vivid and continuous dream; he gets in his own way too much; in his poetic drunkenness, he can't tell the cart- and its cargo- from the horse.
John Gardner

Skallagrim
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Contributor Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Crow on Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:06 pm

Indeed, I agee. Wise words from a wise man.

Mr. Crow
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tigeress on Wed Dec 01, 2010 3:08 am

I must agree with Skallagrim~

When i was working on a early roleplay of mine, (and perhaps my best work), I constantly left areas vague so I could rework them as I went. (this was a word of mouth roleplay, entirely based on narrative aspects, which is a bit odd)

It started with a island, and then that island crew to 5 regions with cities, contininets and cultures all its own. :)

Tigeress
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Daimayo on Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:24 pm

Skall's got it - In my younger days, I've done the opposite - that is, gave an almost daunting amount of information for any new person who joined my rp. The result was that people got turned off of the idea due to the vast amount of info that they had to digest at once.

If you start off with deliberately vague areas, not only will it help new members get used to the world that you are creating one step at a time, but the revealing of certain key elements to the story that you craft can become a part of the hook for anyone involved. That way even 200 pages of information can be completely implemented into a roleplay and enjoyed by your peers for the entire arc of the tale!

Daimayo
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ollpheist on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:26 pm

I appreciate the replies. So then the question becomes, "What is essential to the start of a roleplay?" Sifting through two hundred pages is daunting, but I'm suddenly glad I went to the "pointless" effort of indexing and categorizing everything. It seems that I should pick a point in my story to start the roleplay, provide only the essentials with a "hook" for flavor, and see what I can do to draw characters in from there.

Ollpheist
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tigeress on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:50 pm

That is a very good start!

Allow me to offer my own view on what a starting roleplay needs.

1. Atmosphere: This is important, as the mere "flavor" of the roleplay can decide peoples interest in your roleplay. Consider things like originality, races, ect. Consider this your hook. How you make your roleplay sound, feel, and ultimately come across to potential people, mostly decides how successful it is. Most roleplays that I have started, are either a hit or miss on this. If people like it, it generally becomes a successful roleplay (if never finished >.<). However, is people dislike it immediately, then the roleplay cannot even begin. (I have had good ideas fail because I lacked the ability to make my ideas sound good. The concepts were good, (Imagine a aristocracy built on invention, or perhaps anouther universe of mine that failed that was COMPLETELY mechanical, not a living creature.) but I failed to put them in such a manner.

This seems to be your strength, with a secondary planet and culture very well established.

2. Detail of character information. Really outline your options for those who wish to join your roleplay. When I myself look at joining one, I am looking for what choices does my character have. Can i be anything? Is there limits? What is the point of my character in this universe? I have overlooked many a roleplay because I felt the options were either A: Lacking originality in character design. (im a sucker for new ideas) or B: Lacking in information about the characters.

Outlining these very well helps people think on what kind of character they want to play. It makes roleplayers feel very involved with the story, and allows them to use whatever means they choose. (within your bounds of course)

3. Plot... I cannot stress this enough. Even if the Atmosphere is great, if the plot sucks, you have a brilliant world, and have done nothing with it. (Part of my problem with my examples in the Atmosphere section). Leave it open of course, but try to really relay your ideas to the reader, (without spoiling things!). This will also help them when they make a character, for many will try to fit in with your Plot and Atmosphere.

As I do not know how much of a direction with your story, i'd say this is your weak point. You seem to have a wonderfully built world of cultures, but have yet to send a direction for all this to make sense. (If im wrong tell me off! :)

So basically I said what you said >.< but still. With 200 pages of knowledge, its actually a daunting task to pick out the very relevant stuff. Think of a movie trailer or book summary if you will. If these suck, very rarely will people be interested in watching or reading your creation. (in this case be a part of it)

Tigeress
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ollpheist on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:23 pm

In short, I do have a direction, but I would also like the roleplay to be continuous, just like human lives. The basic point of the story is, "shut down the cartels, kill the supposedly supernatural beast or beasties plaguing the planet, and while you're at it, save the people from the toxin that they don't realize is killing them." After that, I'd like to see how the characters interact in the predetermined society, as well as if they can build a new city or improve the one that's there. Since 95% of the planet's population exists in that city or its immediate outskirts, a great portion of the information I've developed is in that city.

Ollpheist
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Tigeress on Wed Dec 01, 2010 10:46 pm

So sorta one part "Society Builder" and one part "Save the World" :) which im addicted to so I digress :)

Tigeress
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby MrAlfredFJones on Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:28 pm

I don't think you ever have to much info for a rp, just getting people to follow it is hard.
Emotionally Disturbed...Image

MrAlfredFJones
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!