Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

In need of assistance

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

In need of assistance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asphyxiated on Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:54 am

Firstly, hoping this is the right section to post this.

Anyways.

I'm in need of help with roleplaying out a fighting scene.
Except for this point, I thought that my writing was at least decent,
but everytime I'm facing a section that requires physical interaction
I feel that it's a bit odd and unnatural.

I've read tips and such on how to make it some more realistic,
but I was hoping someone might be able to give me first-hand help.
I learn better by doing, rather than listening or reading about it.

It would really be a help for me.
I can also provide samples of my writing if it's needed.

Just while we're writing, little pointers, and suggestions would
be extremely helpful.

Thanks.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Asphyxiated
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Re: In need of assistance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:27 am

Hey again!

You may want to check out our Battle Arena subforum. There's a host of information there on how best to tackle fighting in roleplaying. It's a surprisingly intricate art full of a lot of passionate people. I'm sure you'd be able to find some pointers there or at least people to give you pointers if you poked around there.

I've also shared your thread with a few people who might be able to answer your question here.

Hope someone gets back to you soon!

-VV

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:19 pm

More to the point, the Battle Arena is about people pitting their wits and characters against each other in much the same manner as trading card games. To write out a fight scene in a roleplay is usually done to advance the plot, a character, or both.

I have a guide buried somewhere in the Library about how to develop characters through combat, and while you don't need an intimate working knowledge of martial arts to write an epic fight (indeed, I find that actual practitioners are more hard-pressed to describe their actions in words due to their focus on being able to do it in real life), one thing that I find helps greatly is to slowly go through the motions that you imagine your character is doing. What muscles are you using, how are you gripping your weapon, what part of your foe's body are you aiming for, what's the overall goal of your character in performing this specific maneuver?

I'm supposed to be retired as an arena fighter, but I suppose I could try to help you out with this.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Asphyxiated on Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:20 pm

@Vice

Oh, thank you, means a lot.
I'll definitely be sure to check around there.

@Qb

Well, wow.

Just those few questions really make me think
a lot about how I should face a post that requires
fighting with another.

If you could make room in your schedule,
it'd really be appreciated :]

And thank you.

Asphyxiated
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Friendly Beginnings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:15 pm

Okay, so I went ahead and found a couple of guides in the Library. While they certainly won't answer all of your questions, they should serve as a springboard for future elaboration on some basic concepts.

basic-guide-melee-t43276.html - Basic guide to when a fight should break out, and how to handle it when it does.

level-how-develop-characters-through-combat-t45136.html - How to "level up": that is, develop a character through combat.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!