Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Fulham Bị Cấm Chuyển Nhượng Sau Vụ Bán Sao Trẻ Cho Liverpool » Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

New Roleplay location/focus question

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

New Roleplay location/focus question

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby CaptainGrue on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:11 am

I've been interested in creating a new roleplay that's set on modern day Earth with all the necessary quirks and an overarching 'the world might end' plot.

I'd like people to create characters from any country, but I'm not certain if I want to put them into the one city or if I should just create a basic Earth structure for the places. I worry that doing the latter would spread people out too much, limiting roleplay. But I worry that putting everyone in one city would limit the scope the story can take.

Hopefully I made this simply enough so that whoever's reading can understand my dilemma. What do you think?

Thanks for any advice, yo.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

CaptainGrue
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Streamwatcher Person of Interest Promethean World Builder Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Builder Greeter Arc Warden Concierge

Re: New Roleplay location/focus question

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby HelplessBystander on Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:15 am

Personally, as a seasoned IRL GM, I would reccomend creating side-quests and a rough idea of NPC Groups before designing specific characters. Use throwaway sheets form literally any RPG site as the base foundation and then go from there, because the characters are basically that at the beginning: throwaways. If it doesn't work; discard them.

Find specific places where you want events to take place and create NPCs around it. Saves time and, by using prebuilt templates, effort as well. It's fine to start generic and develop complexity over time. Hope this helps.

;)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

HelplessBystander
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings Author Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.50 INK Postby CaptainGrue on Sun Sep 10, 2017 1:26 pm

This was actually in reference to my Manic Mind of Man thing before i started it :P

Initially it was going to begin in reality, on Earth. But then I realised that I would either have to restrict it to a city to make sure interactions occurred but at the same time i wouldn't want to set it in a particular geographic place.

Eventually I came up with my three act plan, the first of which has all the characters begin in the Source so I don't really have to worry about Earthly geography for a while. And even then, I can have characters 'portaled' from the Source to a specific location so they can remain in proximity. Not sure if that goes against my idea of space in the Source being metaphorical as opposed to physical, but I don't think it matters a whole lot.

All in all, nothing is real. Everything is a sham. Thx.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.50 INK in return for their work.

CaptainGrue
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 10 years
Conversation Starter Author Friendly Beginnings Streamwatcher Person of Interest Promethean World Builder Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal Builder Greeter Arc Warden Concierge

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby HelplessBystander on Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:03 pm

No worries, captain.

HelplessBystander
Member for 7 years
Friendly Beginnings Author Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Wed Aug 28, 2019 11:55 pm

There's two main ways to flesh out a world.

If you're basing it on the real world or an established fictional one, it's possible to build the entire thing starting out or a portion thereof in arbitrary detail, and then you're ready for whatever players may want to do.

If you're making a setting out of whole cloth, it might be better to start in a major location that you want the action to start in and build out as the plot takes you. Make sure you take careful notes so that you don't end up foreshadowing events in a place you haven't made yet!

These two approaches can even be combined. If you expect the players to go north but they go south instead, time to develop a region that you didn't think you would have to, but here goes anyway.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!