Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

where are the boys?!

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

where are the boys?!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby lonelysundays on Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:51 pm

i have taken a few looks at some of the roleplays around
and so many are LACKING male characters
"male character needed"
of course, it doesn't matter that a girl would play a boy character, thats usually what happends.
but in general, boy characters aren't popping up.
WHERE ARE THESE PEOPLE?!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

lonelysundays
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Conversationalist

Re: where are the boys?!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Caille on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:05 am

i will play the guy character you need I do not mind (I know a little bit of being a guy character..im just better at girls).

The guys are never what girls want to play cause they do not understand boys.I my self am a girl,but I still play guy rolls if needed.......but im with you where have all the guys gone?
Last edited by Caille on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Caille
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Greeter World Builder Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eternity on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:07 am

I think the problem lies in the fact that more women roleplay than men. ESPECIALLY in the preferred roleplay genres around this site which would fall into Romantic Realistic and Romantic Fantasy. There are a ton of men on RPG as well, but most of them are probably locked away in some battle-stricken gore story. LOL!
One who knows nothing, can understand nothing.

Eternity
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby AlWayZFrE3 on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:07 am

Male characters are normally called on for dramatic or love related RPs. Same is said for females in more violent RPs, believe me, I've gone through that one. Point remains: disinterest. I, as a violent little bastard, can vouch for all of the guys that don't want a part of the mushy stuff. Hope I've been helpful, all I'm trying to do
We are who we are, not who we are meant to be, and anyone who says otherwise deserves what they get...which in my case would be a whole lot of freaking lead.
And here's my rp: viewtopic.php?f=112&t=37462

AlWayZFrE3
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Irish Wolf on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:20 am

I agree with AlWayZFrE3 and Eternity

Violence Yay!

Dramatic roleplay....not so yay
Its easy to be brave behind a castle wall
Twelve highlanders and a bagpipe make a rebellion
A king's son is no nobler then the food he eats

Irish Wolf
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Traziel on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am

I'm here, but I tend to roleplay both genders out of influence from my sister.

Traziel
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nautsabes on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:22 am

Personally I don't believe the abundance of female characters is due to female roleplayers wanting to play as female character but male players wanting to play as females, and being able to create any sort of female character they want, they're going to create numerous female characters. I have a female friend who only roleplays as male characters, as do I (I'm a male though), and her characters aren't tied down to only the actiony violent RP's, nor are mine. She uses them in a wide variety of settings and plots (again, as do I).

Nautsabes
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby little_bunnie on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:23 am

I agree comepletely there are hardly any guys on alot of the roleplays I have seen. Now there are still a fair few on the rps i am in but I am into the whole violent stuff I mean romance is good and every story needs a little bit of it but I understand why the guys don't get on alot of girl boards. It's not really fair of us to ask them to get on our boards especially when almost no girl is willing to rp on one of their boards
Being beast is easy...
Act like yourself
Be unique
Act the same around EVERYONE you know
Speak your mind
Listen to your heart
And don't care about anyone else or what they have to say about you

RAWR

little_bunnie
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Safisan on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:31 am

It depends on the role-play. Some sappy high school drama is going to attract only girls and specific types of guys, whereas stories deviating further from reality (as are fantasies, futuristic and combat based role-plays) are likelier to attract males. I'm only stereotyping to ease the explanation, but for the most part it's true.

little_bunnie wrote:I agree comepletely there are hardly any guys on alot of the roleplays I have seen. Now there are still a fair few on the rps i am in but I am into the whole violent stuff I mean romance is good and every story needs a little bit of it but I understand why the guys don't get on alot of girl boards. It's not really fair of us to ask them to get on our boards especially when almost no girl is willing to rp on one of their boards

Also this. See, I might try and find interest in drama if girls do the same. Personally I don't check them out because I see little potential for depth and most writers are illiterate at best. There are good and bad writers everywhere, but the ratio in the realistic forum is horrible.

Safisan
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby little_bunnie on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:42 am

Safisan wrote:It depends on the role-play. Some sappy high school drama is going to attract only girls and specific types of guys, whereas stories deviating further from reality (as are fantasies, futuristic and combat based role-plays) are likelier to attract males. I'm only stereotyping to ease the explanation, but for the most part it's true.

little_bunnie wrote:I agree comepletely there are hardly any guys on alot of the roleplays I have seen. Now there are still a fair few on the rps i am in but I am into the whole violent stuff I mean romance is good and every story needs a little bit of it but I understand why the guys don't get on alot of girl boards. It's not really fair of us to ask them to get on our boards especially when almost no girl is willing to rp on one of their boards

Also this. See, I might try and find interest in drama if girls do the same. Personally I don't check them out because I see little potential for depth and most writers are illiterate at best. There are good and bad writers everywhere, but the ratio in the realistic forum is horrible.

Yeah it gets kinda lonely sometimes(I am new on this site but I am a meber of other rp forums as well)when you are on a board full of guys because they are the ONLY ones interested in the same thing

little_bunnie
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raikizen on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:13 am

I'm open to play a male in any roleplay, seeing as my characters and I both are one, and frequently do so. It just seems that half the role plays looking for a single or more males to join them are either not my style or, to me, not that interesting.
Feed him, so that he may take over the universe! ->

Awesome Pokemon RP? Hell yeah.

Raikizen
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rokku on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:39 am

Eternity wrote:I think the problem lies in the fact that more women roleplay than men. ESPECIALLY in the preferred roleplay genres around this site which would fall into Romantic Realistic and Romantic Fantasy. There are a ton of men on RPG as well, but most of them are probably locked away in some battle-stricken gore story. LOL!

I must not be most of them.

Rokku
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ninjasaur on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:24 am

I personally don't find "TEEN CRUISE TO PERFECT ISLAND NEED 6 BOYS 1 GIRL" interesting.

To me this sounds like some fake reality which is filled with 3 perfect barbie-like girls, 1 emo/goth/scene girl, and the occasional tomboy. It's a pathetic MTV style that is generic, boring, and plotless other then matching a guy and a girl up just so they can private-message sex until they get bored and move to the next thread.

Many males are not only interested in action RP's only. I love romance between characters that develop a relationship through an entire RP naturally and not through me finding the most appealing character skeleton. As a matter of fact I can play any setting as long as the thought of finding a relationship isn't shoved down my throat, including a cruise setting.

I think many come to this site to get away from exactly what I posted above because they're striving for some solid entertainment (otherwise they'd still be doing // on neopets with you). People in general want to get away from generic settings and take part in scenarios our imaginations provide us with. The whole reason for RP is to explore situations beyond what our world allows us to do through words.

(At least this is my experience.)

And before you retaliate with "Mine's not a perfect teen setting, it's a vampire drama setting!" stop yourself before you dig yourself a grade. Just because most unimaginative teens default to the newest social scene does not make it okay.

Good day to you and I hope this provides an adequate answer.
"Rock is okay but Scissors needs to be nerfed." - Paper

Ninjasaur
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Greeter World Builder Inspiration Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oran Tarlin on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:25 am

I've always had an even number of characters, male, female, asexual, transexual, intersexual, pretty much the entire spectrum.

I'm always happy to use them be it a dramatic fantasy, an intense sci-fi, a sappy romance, or anything in the roleplaying spectrum.

There are a few factors which immediately make me ignore male characters:

1: When the roleplay is heavily rooted in Otaku-ism, Anima hyper-stylization, Japanese Street Fashion, takes place in Tokyo, or anything else which always seems to push into the "Excessively dramatic looking girl" and "horrendously effeminate guy" will make me skip right over, because, though I can't say if "this one's different" I know that it's already falling into a mold I have no interest in.

2: The "You have a problem" threads, where I'm actually supposed to make a guy character who is both perfect and flawed (I've created one character for this, based in the twilight world, which is actually a hilarious character, he's a slum lord in Seattle who never goes home without two women on his arm and gets his blood fix from a petshop down the street, ripping out the throats of puppies and baby kittens for the sweet flavor, and because he's distinctly "vegetarian," because that somehow makes the slaughter of animals justified. He once took a penguin and ripped out its innards in front of an eight year old girl, because he's just that smooth) and of course, "flawed" is never something that could be romantic, like blindness, deformity, or a handicap, just being a werewolf, vampire, or some strange cat-person called a Neko which just sounds like an excuse for effeminate werewolves with breath that smells like fish.

3: When it comes to High School threads, if the person demands an Anime picture, see number one, and if they demand a real picture, I automatically know that I have to start googling "Male model" "teen male models" etc etc until I find one who actually fits the description. It's sort of sickening and I'll stop in about two searches when I realize the vanity of the thing, and I've watched some High School Rps (none on these forums, I'll admit) become very rich in themes and metaphors and overall a good read for any age group, but they all have that entirely vain concept which I don't think anyone can really get into (except teenage girls, who then propagate this madness, making life more difficult for teenage boys)

4: Outside the romance genre, it's more "What fits" is there a warrior girl in the group, some feminist or some other such role, I'll try and insert a conflicting character, because I'm absolute rubbish at getting into a roleplay, and the easiest way for me is to have some distinct flaw, if I see female characters with my least favorite phrases, no men, just more women (in my attempt to outshine the Mary-sues) Some of my least favorite lines: "Beautiful in a subdued way." "A stunning singing voice which she hides from the world." "A troubled past which casts a shadow of sadness in her crystal blue eyes... (or emerald green, never gray, never brown, and in the worst case scenarios purple or some other strange mixture of colors that seem unnatural) oh, and anyone named "Raven"

4 1/2: On the other hand, if I see female characters I will try and insert a male character, but I really only have, eh... three sweetheart guys, all of them were born as Tauri (I use astrology to pinpoint personality) but usually I want to use a REALISTIC guy, having his sexual agenda and all (since of course, one pain of roleplaying anywhere is the strange need to have attractive characters... I like to go off the idea Hot=Crude, just because it annoys people looking for the stunningly attractive, perfect guy who might as well have his period in a few days, which I'm sure exists, somewhere where he is totally unappreciated.)

I guess I'm creating the problem more than helping it, but gender is part of the absolute duality of everything that defines our world (which is another conversation for another time).

It all comes down to marketing. If you want that guy who's creepy but girls seem to think is just so wonderful endearing (because they will never listen to any reasonable input about it) then I don't know if you'll find anyone, at least not literate. Realistic roleplays, I find, usually lack realism, at least in fantasies the problems can be blamed on some greater power, realistic romances have nothing to blame but hormones, which they usually tend to ignore anyway.

Oran Tarlin
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lukisod on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:54 pm

Maybe I'll look into these RPs more once I have the free time. Reliving high school was never a good plot for me to get into. Reality TV is the same. Both try to force romance onto a character. But I guess I'll open up my mind a little more and try something out.

PM me if you need a male role. I'll see if I can oblige.
"Perhaps we should perform a study on the effectiveness of studies?"

Lukisod
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kohananinja on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:17 pm

Irish Wolf wrote:I agree with AlWayZFrE3 and Eternity

Violence Yay!

Dramatic roleplay....not so yay

Combination of the two with an action filled plot...DOUBLE YAY!

Point taken on the gender disinterest stuff as well, but I tend to fall somewhere in that comfortable middle spectrum. I've been a part of the far points of both sides, and the girly romance mushy crap that has no apparent plot other than satisfying the need to express mushy crap both annoy and bore me to the point that I simply cannot stand to even look at it anymore. But then the same goes for the hard core gore stuff too. It's fun at first, and I think there's usually more plot and character wiggle room there, but again after a while the mind numbing violence just looses my intrest when that's all there is to it.

I personally think the formula to keeping players of both genders (of quality or at least some literacy) is a good plot for starters, filled with action and the potential or inevitability of violence, and with some mushy stuff, or at least some underlying motives of romance. Keeps things interesting.

Balance friends, is what I believe is the key. I have never seen a successful roleplay (as in multiple pages and lasting more than two weeks) that did not have most of the above mentioned.

Kohananinja
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:43 pm

What? All my characters are male.

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Иanophяeak on Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:33 am

I'm a male, and I barely do anything but romance-stricken RP's :/ Even if it's a violent RP, I'll have a NPC girlfriend with whom I do the things I would do in a romance RP.

As for Male Characters Needed, I've seen this on a topic maybe... twice. Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough.
(((̴̵̹И̜̏̀͂̅ɐ̴̵͍͍͍̹᷈n̴̵̴̵̹̹᷈᷈o͈̼̜͌͋̐ṕ̴̵̹᷄᷇᷈h҉я͈̼Ǝ̷͚̯̺̐ɐ̶̜̺̗̑҉k)))
(((k҉ɐ̶̜̺̗̑Ǝ̷͚̯̺̐я͈̼h҉͈̼̜͌͋̐ṕ̴̵̴̵̴̵̹̹̹᷄᷇᷈᷈o̴̵̴̵̹̹᷈᷈n͂̅ɐ̴̵̴̵͍͍͍̹̹᷈И̴̵̹)))

このプログラムは、心を持っている。
I can smile.
I am human.

Иanophяeak
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gorman Conall on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:26 pm

I play male characters (I am male) But I will not take part in chick flick style RPs, they hold zero interest to me. Romance can happen in any kind of RP and that's fine. But to me an RP based around it is boring.

Gorman Conall
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mogtaki on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:51 pm

If anything, I am a girl but I will always roleplay a boy.

The reason I always do that because I ALWAYS know there is going to be a lack on boys in every RP I do. I don't really like taking part in normal real life style RPs in this fashion, this is because it'd be just too weird to RP as a real boy and not one in a fantasy-type setting.

If you get what I am meaning by that >.>
~*Current Roleplays*~

Mogtaki
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!