Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Who wants to make a world?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Who wants to make a world?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:14 am

Hi everyone...

I'm looking to create a world/campaign setting in which to set various RPs. The idea is that it would be a collaborative effort between various writers and artists, cartographers etc... Ultimately I aim to put something together that might be publishable.

Basically the world is in a sort of limbo state between good and evil (sounds a little cliched I know, but I figure everything has been done before anyway...) and the forces of Elysium and Hades (akin to heaven and hell for those unfamiliar with the Greek) are in a constant state of war, with our little planet trapped between. Sounds kinda like Earth - but there is one major difference. Gunpowder was never discovered, magic was instead. This means that magic was discovered in the same way that the modern world discovered electricity - some genius somewhere figured out the secret and eventually it propagated... It is not some intrinsic ability.

Obviously this means the world is a fantasy one, and I'd like for there to be new races as well as the standard troupe of Elves, Dwarves, Gnomes etc... As for time setting, my original idea was that it would be a consistent state of physical and magical laws that could be played in any time setting, from Pre-historic to futuristic...

One final note is that deities exist as long as someone believes in them - akin to Terry Pratchett's Discworld. If one person believes in the almighty Bob, and His great TV remote of Fate - then Bob exists, but a deity's power is dependent on the number of followers it has. Angels, demons and other minions of Elysium/Hades all exist too, and often come to Elydes (the name of the World/Planet) to either just fight, or to try and recruit forces for either side.

I hope that's given you some insight into what I had in mind... Like I said the aim is for this to be collaborative. So get involved!
Last edited by Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Who wants to make a world?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Frezak on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:29 am

Who wants to make a world? Who doesn't?
So magic would a source of energy? I was wondering whether people would still be able to manipulate it, but they would require an equivalent of mana "batteries" or whatever you would call it. And as you were talking about Terry Pratchett's god system, would you include the possibility of elevating a non-god to god-hood? Cause I was thinking of an agle/demon trying ot become a god. Or something like that.
Are the physical laws like ours?
What did you have in mind as for magical laws?
Cripes, this has got me going. I'd be really interested to see what I could do as for storyline/history and stuff, but I regret to say that I can only bring words to this, no pictures. ( a talent I am lacking)
But I'd love to give whatever help I could.
If you see this, expect total paralysis of the thread within a month. No kidding.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Frezak
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bugsly on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:31 am

Sounds interesting... can I post a race I'll want my guy to be when I get back later?
Zoidberg? I dont know ask the thermal nuclear bunnies...... whoopdey im random lol. :D

^That was a while ago and my nostalgic sense of childhood/teen years refuses to let me remove it. So, yay.

Bugsly
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sorentier on Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:47 am

I'd be very interested in this. I'll put up my ideas later on today, I gotta go to school soon ><

Sorentier
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:15 am

I'm a crime writer, but experienced somewhat with worldbuilding, and with constructive languages, and writing historical narratives and religious doctrines or theology (being an amateur scholar of comparative religion), and love to draw, though I'm not the best in the world. I'd love to help out in any way I can! I'm not particularly experienced with fantasy, but hey, I'm familiar with physics (somewhat), chemistry (rather), and biology (very!), and LOVE languages (the etymology and comparative linguistics thereof) and so may be able to offer SOMETHING if anything to this. :)

Let me know if you can use me for anything.
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:30 am

Good to see some interest so soon! I find it easier to use chat-based things like IRC to thrash out ideas, rather than forums... I have registered #Elydes on irc.sorcery.net for discussions about the world, so feel free to drop in there any time. I'm on quite a bit, mostly in the evenings and at weekends. You can always e-mail me with extra questions, suggestions or whatever as well: sarcyn@gmail.com and just to let everyone know I have the domain elydesbridged.com registered, so we can develop a web presence for the world as well as hopefully building a PDF/Book.

Sorentier wrote:I'd be very interested in this. I'll put up my ideas later on today, I gotta go to school soon ><

Great! I look forward to hearing your ideas either on the forum or in IRC later... have 'fun' at school ;)

Bugsly wrote:Sounds interesting... can I post a race I'll want my guy to be when I get back later?

Sure, although I'm looking more to build the world in quite a lot of detail before I actually play anything in it, but I will of course be looking to run games set in Elydes in the future...

Frezak wrote:Who wants to make a world? Who doesn't?
So magic would a source of energy? I was wondering whether people would still be able to manipulate it, but they would require an equivalent of mana "batteries" or whatever you would call it. And as you were talking about Terry Pratchett's god system, would you include the possibility of elevating a non-god to god-hood? Cause I was thinking of an agle/demon trying ot become a god. Or something like that.
Are the physical laws like ours?
What did you have in mind as for magical laws?
Cripes, this has got me going. I'd be really interested to see what I could do as for storyline/history and stuff, but I regret to say that I can only bring words to this, no pictures. ( a talent I am lacking)
But I'd love to give whatever help I could.

That's a lot of questions! I see Magic as more sort of like an element or resource, perhaps akin to water/fire or maybe more on the scale of like metal, wood etc... Still working on the kinks of things like this - but I really do want this to be collaborative with me at the helm, so I'm open to suggestions. I quite like the manna-battery idea. As for elevating mortals to deities, I'm all for that, and I think angels, demons and the like would already be a sort of level above your average 'mortal' race...

Physical laws would be similar, but obviously with the introduction of magic, and fantasy elements - again I'm still developing and always open to suggestions... As for magical laws, that's something I haven't given a great deal of thought to at this stage but will be doing in the next few days and weeks... Once again, suggestions are always welcome! (Now I just sound like I don't have a clue what I'm doing and am just scrabbling for help - but I assure you all that's not the case - this is a seed of an idea as opposed to fully fledged.)

Ylanne wrote:I'm a crime writer, but experienced somewhat with worldbuilding, and with constructive languages, and writing historical narratives and religious doctrines or theology (being an amateur scholar of comparative religion), and love to draw, though I'm not the best in the world. I'd love to help out in any way I can! I'm not particularly experienced with fantasy, but hey, I'm familiar with physics (somewhat), chemistry (rather), and biology (very!), and LOVE languages (the etymology and comparative linguistics thereof) and so may be able to offer SOMETHING if anything to this. :)

Let me know if you can use me for anything.

That all sounds very, very good to me! It would be great to have someone on board who can help bring a bit of authority to certain elements - and fellow lovers of language/linguistics/etymology are always welcome. See above re: IRC etc, and I'd love to have you on-board!

Any and all help will be appreciated, I am a wordsmith with little-zero talent in the realms of drawing/painting/images so the more artists we can get the better, but I'm always happy to hear from fellow writers who would like to get involved as well!

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby star_kid on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:40 am

A world? Definitely. I'm more interested to be part of the artist staff then the writing one since, though I'm quite literate, I'm still working on my fancy for, well, fantasy. And I've been down in the dumps lately that my inspiration for drawing has left me and is quite hoping to get back into it with this little project of yours. I'm not a hoarder for responsibility, in fact, if this were in a different scenario, I'd probably be the first one to decline, but I'm good for teaming up with other people and well, just drawing.

So, I look forward to your ideas and hope to contribute some of my drawings and a little PS skills for the creation of this world of yours. Note; I'm a little crappy when it comes to actual people/race designing. But I'll try my best.
All I'm hoping for is one
Image[F]alling [S]tarImage
to wish for you everyday!

star_kid
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 am

star_kid wrote:A world? Definitely. I'm more interested to be part of the artist staff then the writing one since, though I'm quite literate, I'm still working on my fancy for, well, fantasy. And I've been down in the dumps lately that my inspiration for drawing has left me and is quite hoping to get back into it with this little project of yours. I'm not a hoarder for responsibility, in fact, if this were in a different scenario, I'd probably be the first one to decline, but I'm good for teaming up with other people and well, just drawing.

So, I look forward to your ideas and hope to contribute some of my drawings and a little PS skills for the creation of this world of yours. Note; I'm a little crappy when it comes to actual people/race designing. But I'll try my best.

That's cool, artists joining the team is definitely a positive! As for your lack of confidence with people/races - don't worry about that, there'll be plenty to do even if you don't fancy drawing characters. We'll need maps, landscapes, buildings, cityscapes etc. Good to hear you're interested and I look forward to working with you! Have you got a link to some of your work? You can PM me it if you'd prefer not to post it in the forum...

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:05 am

What I can draw:

People, figures, portraits, action-motion stillshots, etc.
Landscapes/cities.
Maps. (And apparently my natural handwriting looks very nice on a map, so go figure! I'm usually told it resembles the Declaration of Independence writing.)
Rooms. Furniture.
Black and white.
Color - upon request.

What I can write:
Fiction
Poetry (contemporary, form, and era language)
English as it would have been written from 1400 through 2009, depending on age needed

What I can create:
Languages
Names based on etymology, meaning, ethnic or national origin, religion, etc. (for species, individuals, places, etc.)
Religion
History (plausible, believable history) - and a textbook format narrative for it
HTML, CSS (for the website, I suppose)
Photography (apparently, I'm not half bad, but I've been too lazy to upload any of my work - plan on doing that today, actually, so you caught me at a good time)
Videos (seriously! I'm a very good editor, because I'm a perfectionist, see http://www.youtube.com/trealistorm the newest video there, not the two year old one)
Formatting for Word/PDF (apparently, I can forge almost anything! :D But I would never do anything illegal. I've done business letters, wanted posters, FBI memos, birth certificates, menus, and more! - all for my characters, because I like seeing their names on things. I'm just creative!)
Photoshopped images (see http://www.sorrows.weebly.com/images.html for samples)

So

Take a look through my drawings, images, the video (yes, singular), my writing (same website as the drawings/images), or whatnot, and feel free to ask me any questions about anything.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Fanta on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:31 am

I'd love to help, this looks real interesting. I like a the collaborative thing.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't have any web pages. Well, I do, but it' blank right now so I don't think it's that useful. I'd love to write and draw characters, though. I have a particular style that's kind of.... uh...hard to describe I guess. If you want a lot of anime I'm not sure you'd be interested. Later today I can post some examples of my work if you want.
short stories | poetry | pictures
orange fanta and entropy
http://orangefantaandentropy.blogspot.com/

Fanta
Member for 15 years
Conversationalist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:42 am

Fanta wrote:I'd love to help, this looks real interesting. I like a the collaborative thing.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't have any web pages. Well, I do, but it' blank right now so I don't think it's that useful. I'd love to write and draw characters, though. I have a particular style that's kind of.... uh...hard to describe I guess. If you want a lot of anime I'm not sure you'd be interested. Later today I can post some examples of my work if you want.

Examples would be very helpful, and I should have stated this earlier: I HAVE VERY LITTLE INTEREST IN MAKING THIS ANIME!

So we're on the same page there at least :) I prefer sort of D&D style illustrations, but that doesn't mean I'm not open to other styles, I'm just not an anime/manga fan.

Also, can I ask that anyone who seriously would like to get involved provides me with some way of contacting them other than this site: preferably e-mail but MSN/YIM/AIM/IRC are all fine too. It'll just make it easier for me to keep track of who is going to be involved, since this isn't the only site I'm looking for people to help with the project. Have to say I'm pleased with the response already, and it'd be really good to get a decent sized team together on this - which by the looks of things isn't an unrealistic hope!

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:41 am

I would not yet consider myself an artist or a bonafide writer, but I believe my skills in creating a world with a fantasy setting can contribute to this.

I am adept at making places, perhaps even cultures (if I am inspired and yes my 'mana battery' is inspiration), food, styles, geography, unique locations, basically the world. Especially working on the system of magic, for starters this is my general idea:

I do not believe magic should be a one sided system like being energy based, needing a source in order to work or even elemental. If we are to replace some machinery with the arcana, we need it to be as diverse as it's counterpart.

Meaning magic would simply be a science, a part of the natural world and it is innate in the way things function. It's not a substance or a substitute to electricity, it is simply as it is, magic.

In this sense, the way it functions would vary from spell to spell. Cantrip to cantrip, trick to trick. Even directing sunlight with mirrors on to a single spot in order to burn it should be considered magic, as with incanting a barrier with the sheer power of holy words.

What it needs, who can cast it and how it is wielded varies.

The reason I support this system instead of a 'mana' based system is because:

1 It allows for a whole room of creativity, it is something the readers can get intruiged by instead of saying 'Oh, it's just another form of energy' each time they read a spell being cast, they can relish in the details and effort put by the author into making a spell an actual art.

2 Magic is mysterious, even to wizards and scholars. To priests, to tribal warriors and to everyone. It should not be simplified into 'shaping XXX to achieve AAA', which to me at least, is the most boring style I've ever seen.

3 It propagates actual schools of magic, types or classes based on how they are cast rather than their results. Like in real life, I can light a fire using tinder and flint. Yet, I can also light a fire using potassium permanganate and sugar. At the same time, I can light a fire using electricity and propane. Magic should be as interesting as this, not simply, all spells that conjure fire belong in XXX.

4 It is part of the world, not only humans or so on will be able to use it. So make it part of the world, the more intelligent beings just know how to use what is not theirs, to achieve a desired effect. So let's have it make use of everything around us, not just one thing. Even pencil lead could be used to cast a certain spell, if a person knows how.

5 It mystifies the conservation of energy, effort for effect.

6 Each spell should have it's individual laws and structures, that's what makes spellcasting compelling. Each one is distinct and magic should not be too easy, at least this way magicians would actually learn from one another out of need rather than preference (like in most fantasy realms, spellcasters spend time studying because each spell is different ... a bolt of lightning is a completely different spell from a bolt of fire).

7 Magic this way can be used to do more things in the sense that it is not just for shooting other people or healing wounds or shielding. It promotes more specific uses for magic ...yet magic can do less things, in a sense that not all highly skilled magicians can wave a finger and something drastic happens. Some cannot, yet they are highly skilled for another reason. This in fact, makes each magician an individual, not some MMORPG copycat who is high up in a 'skill tree'.

XD As you might have guessed, I am very particular about the matter because I really don't like static (stale) settings and it being used as a shortcut to everything.

SURE, there could be mana based systems but that would only apply to a handful of spells (and that could be considered be a school :]) not all magics. The magic I envision is one filled with variety, one where the readers can engross themselves in and where there is an actual reason for books/scrolls/long forgotten texts and for someone to teach you their spells.
Last edited by flickery on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A smilie costs nothing, but in the internet, it is EVERYTHING.

flickery
Member for 16 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Frezak on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:55 pm

I admit your magic system is more immersive, but Irecall mention of magic 'replacing' technology. Since technology is available to everyone with little effort, shouldn't the magic be? Or would there be people whose job would be to use magic, like each village has it's local mage, that kind if thing?

Frezak
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:10 pm

I feel I need to step in and clear up that I never said magic replaced technology I said that gunpowder was never discovered in Elydes, which has several knock on effects of course... And that magic filled some of those gaps.

I do quite like some of your ideas flickery and when I said about magic being elemental, your description of it as a 'science' was more or less my intention. I've uploaded a couple of text files with some more information on a previous version of this world: http://elydesbridged.net/spread.rtf and http://elydesbridged.net/creation.rtf which should help to give people more of an idea. I wasn't sure about the pentagram thing, or even including any of this stuff, but having read back through it I quite like it, so I think I'm going to incorporate it...

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:18 pm

Yes most fundamental magics that facillitate daily life and more common tasks will be available to the public, but they will have to be made by those with at least rudimentary knowledge of magic.

Such an example could be aqueducts, which are made from magically synthesized compounds that draw water liquids they touch into a single direction. Lining these (haven't made a name yet) up could pump water from a well, a channel or a river into a desired area. Of course they have to replaced every once in awhile or repaired by an artificer or spellcaster, otherwise they degrade and loose their efficiency.

The compounds are actually semi completed spells that for most part, when introduced to a body with an easily made gesture, completes the spell and in a sense, every common man or woman would be able to use magic.

Sort of like that, available to the public but it's inner workings are left to the more knowledgable. However, the more advanced the tasks of magic, the more likely they are either made by certified magicians themselves or prepared at a steep price. Such as lighting a lighthouse over a long period of time, it's not simple magic and not everyone can do it and it will most likely cost more for higher quality magic of illumination.

This is my take on it, if I can contribute to this system, I suppose there will be some constant rules and laws on magic as well (I have a general idea of how it would work).

flickery
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:40 pm

Ok, I don't want to sound like a control freak, and I do want people to help - but I again feel the need to re-iterate that I would want a large portion of creative control over the project. I'm quite happy to have people come in with ideas, like you have flickery, and I'm quite happy to work them into my wider vision for Elydes... It just seems a little like you're saying 'this is how it is' when in fact this whole thing was intended to be a collaborative effort with myself as a chief architect if you will. I'm trying hard to not come off as a jerkoff here, and I really do appreciate your contributions, it's just that we might need to work on them a little to get them to fit with my plans... If that makes sense?

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:56 pm

Do not fear, my friend. Your worries are the reason why I showed disdain towards basing all magic on the mana system, I wanted magic to be diverse and as such if you read on, you would realize the scope is alot bigger than you think [which is a good thing to your cause]. :]

Sarcyn wrote:I do quite like some of your ideas flickery and when I said about magic being elemental, your description of it as a 'science' was more or less my intention. I've uploaded a couple of text files with some more information on a previous version of this world: http://elydesbridged.net/spread.rtf and http://elydesbridged.net/creation.rtf which should help to give people more of an idea. I wasn't sure about the pentagram thing, or even including any of this stuff, but having read back through it I quite like it, so I think I'm going to incorporate it...

Though, I am not saying that the idea is bad, AT ALL(seriously, I would like to see it being used). This is however, what I intended to be a single school (rather than the entirety of all magics), a sect of magic based on the above mentioned teachings. They of course, would know the intrinsic properties of the five substances more than most magicians. There will be many schools, some will even be discovered, examples of one of these others would be some based on the teachings that 'The Universe is a living, intelligent being' -trying to mimic and bluff the universe into something. Like taking a small special mound of soil, shaping it into a small hill then spending alot of effort 'convincing' and 'animating' everything around it that it is the big hill in front. Then when everything is 'convinced', the group of mages stomp on it, flattening the small hill and the big hill -because the rock/moss/bacterium/all that stuff act like they were affected.

It's like each of the author's take on magic is being made into schools, somewhat like real life ...only realer and eventually, their advantages and disadvantages will be revealed (not by me, or by you but by the system created itself. We will just be there to identify it :]).

The group of mages in this idea did the same thing a troupe of earth specialists in your idea, but they work in different principles to achieve the same result and such, magic systems becomes diverse. But they'll share a common rule, such as (another example) the Rule of Belonging aka. the Rule of 'Mine'.

Which states, magic becomes significantly harder to work on what is not yours. You may find it easy to draw water from a well, but impossible to draw water from an animal because -that water belongs to the creature, not you. A being's conciousness of themselves dictates what is theirs and what in their environment is theirs, that is why the air we breathe in becomes ours the moment it reaches out nose and no longer ours when we breathe out.

Which would be enhanced/counteracted by (No name yet, but think of it as natural disciplines) XXX of Pressence, which is when a being's conciousness is greater than of their bodies and touches the environment. Becoming aware of their surroundings, feeling it and few possibly almost being one with it (few actually achieve this though). Therefore, actively claiming some things as theirs, making magic easier to use on it and harder for others to use magic on them.

Which would be counteracted by (No name yet, but think of it as magical disciplines) XXX of Consequence, which is when magic indirectly affects something as a result of a series of events, becoming easier to bypass the Rule of Belonging the more indirect (and therefore, complicated) it is. Such as using intense light, shone on a stone pavement, to heat the air, which heats the person standing above the stone pavement. Rather than directly trying to warm the person from inside using magic, but spells tend to become severely more difficult and requiring more precision this way.

This is what I envision of magic, nothing is too simple. :] [The rules and laws won't be written so informally, with so many examples though. They'll probably be put in a 'oh so grand and formal' way, definitely.]

I do hop e that with this explanation of what I meant by 'magic' the whole idea does not clash with yours, it is due to the fact that this would be a collaboration that I thought such a 'system' was most suitable. Basically a free range, but the mechanisms behind each school must be definite and a change in mechanisms would mean a change in school.
Last edited by flickery on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

flickery
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:12 pm

flickery wrote:This was what I was talking about, the magic system being too generalized, earth fire air void and water. It becomes simple and in a sense, the readers don't find difficulty in wielding magic and eventually realize "Why aren't there more top notch magicians around then?"

I think you've missed the point, probably due to it being poorly explained. Magic isn't used to manipulate those five elements, it is the fifth element so that in the same way that one can utilise water, to quench a thirst, to nurture new life by watering seedlings, to bathe; so one can use magic, to create something from nothing, to impersonate another, to kill or revive.

I feel there is a way of melding our two ideas, if we can just get clear in our minds what the other is actually intending. I have to confess you lost me a little on the last post, I wasn't sure exactly where you were going with all of the XXX of Pressence and Consequence and stuff... It may be that I'm a little tired and distracted, but I would certainly need some clarification or further explanation of your concepts, although I felt I had grasped them fairly well until your post just now...

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby flickery on Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:24 pm

I see, well now that I understand your concept. I feel that you think I am trying to assert control over your thread, which is why it seems that the post I mentioned regarding magic looks like it is trying to 'destroy' your world. But let me assure you, this is not my intention.

What I mean to say is, your idea become incorporated as part of magic, but not governing all of it's mechanisms. Making it a true collaboration, making magic all the more interesting and as long as each system made is given a check (probably by you or someone you appoint) and given a thumbs up so that it doesn't seem too overcapable, your world won't be wrecked.

The point of it is, the real reason behind why magic exists will be obscure, and even though the explanation that each school teaches is different from other schools. They still yield results regardless of their difference, no one knows which system is closest to the truth.

Basically, the Rules and XXX (which is used to substitute what I cannot think of a name for yet) are the constant Laws in magic that you requested for in your introduction of this topic. So that people don't powerplay, god mode or autohit, because without them ...these acts could be easily done in the mindset of the reader and begin to question the character's actions.

By setting these wordly rules down, we provide both an IC and OOC explanation why magic is a skill and isn't omnipotent. Note that those were just suggestions and examples of the rules, they may be changed and modified at any time before the roleplay is set up. Once again, I'm not saying that these MUST be the rules, I'm saying that these could be the solutions to loopholes which might lead to problems. :]

I realize there is alot to work on with many more areas to cover and this cannot be solved in a single day, which is why I wanted to join the collboration in the first place. What I posted here is just some possibilities, there is no need to feel that your thread is threatened by it. I, too, want to make or help make something publishable. Which is why I go through the effort to make even the least significant part of the world, something the readers can immerse themselves in.

flickery
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sarcyn on Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:16 pm

Ok, thanks for your clarification, and I'm sure with a bit more negotiation and working - both ideas can fit seamlessly into the same world. I'd be happy to have you on board, you certainly have thought a lot about what you're proposing, which is always a good thing :D

I agree that immersion is the most important aspect, and I think that your way is definitely more likely to grab and hold reader's interest.

Sarcyn
Member for 15 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!