Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Any Book With Roleplaying Tips?

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Any Book With Roleplaying Tips?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thumbtack on Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:58 am

I'm kind of new to roleplaying and I play through a chat program like skype but I don't think I am as good of a roleplayer as I could be. I used to play through posts and they were fine because you have time to think about what your character is going to say and do but now when I'm playing "live" and its my turn to roleplay something I usually panic at first and can't think of what may character would say or do. I've read plenty of tips on the internet and they have helped but I'm looking for more. How would someone practice roleplaying, being in character, acting, not being nervous? Are there any good books on this, and would it be good to get a book on general communication as well?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

thumbtack
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter

Re: Any Book With Roleplaying Tips?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:39 am

If you are looking for tips on live role playing. You may actually want to look more into acting, and communications. Something along the lines of voice acting and communications 101.

Unfortunately I don't know of any books to help you with the matter, only what you are actually looking for.

Hope this at least steers you in the right direction.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:46 am

Yes, what Vexar says is good advice. As a fellow LARPer, I would suggest reading on improvisational acting, comedy acting, and acting of that sort, as that type of material would best suit your needs. Improvisational acting and LARPing are dangerously close to one another, so the principles are basically the same. Method acting material may help with getting in character as well.

On another note, welcome to the site! :) I see you are new and just joined us today. We are pleased to have you among us. As one of the site's Mentors (designated by blue usernames), you should feel free to call upon me any time for help, or if you have other questions. I typically respond to all queries within 24 hours.

I hope that will be of some help.

Blessings and peace,
Ylanne
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby thumbtack on Fri Nov 20, 2009 11:49 am

Hey, thanks for the good and quick suggestions. These sound like exactly what I am looking for and I think it will help out a lot. I'll just google what books there might be on these subject and see what has good ratings. Thanks again.

thumbtack
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Kronos on Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:20 pm

Ultimately, take a backseat to your nervousness, critique yourself to hell, take a backseat to that, figure out that's realistic and not, and then apply that. It all comes with practice. If you want to get better, like Vexar said, RP more.

Also, if you find yourself with crappy critiques, ask yourself these four questions:
Is it true?
Can I prove that it's absolutely true?
How does this though effect me?
Who would I be without this thought?

Kronos
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edge on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 pm

After looking at the advice on this subject I would agree with looking at acting, communications, as support for live role playing.

However if you don't have class, or can't get ahold of the books, or if the books aren't exactly what you're looking for, here's a suggestion.

D&D. Seriously. Even joining a group will help with the nerves.

The Dungeons and Dragons books are written for live role playing while teaching character creation, and character development. 4th edition is actually fairly decent. If you're looking for character types in particular, then the 2nd edition books for D&D may be the way to go since the detail is extensive.

For those who are looking for books on writing fantasy or RPGing in general, i can strongly recommend the D&D books- but Orson Scott Card's Guide to Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy is a good place for technical support and story development.

In short though, don't be nervous, and pay no attention to the elites you might find in the chats. They'll be quick to criticize anything and everything- and to be honest, the chatters that do that generally don't have much more creativity then a cardboard box despite all their flowery words.

Edge
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Edge on Wed Dec 16, 2009 12:25 pm

After looking at the advice on this subject I would agree with looking at acting, communications, as support for live role playing.

However if you don't have class, or can't get ahold of the books, or if the books aren't exactly what you're looking for, here's a suggestion.

D&D. Seriously. Even joining a group will help with the nerves.

The Dungeons and Dragons books are written for live role playing while teaching character creation, and character development. 4th edition is actually fairly decent. If you're looking for character types in particular, then the 2nd edition books for D&D may be the way to go since the detail is extensive.

For those who are looking for books on writing fantasy or RPGing in general, i can strongly recommend the D&D books- but Orson Scott Card's Guide to Writing Science Fiction and Fantasy is a good place for technical support and story development.

In short though, don't be nervous, and pay no attention to the elites you might find in the chats. They'll be quick to criticize anything and everything- and to be honest, the chatters that do that generally don't have much more creativity then a cardboard box despite all their flowery words.

Edge
GWC Veteran
Member for 19 years
Progenitor Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Beta Tester Contributor Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!