Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat β€” the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Character Creation in Role Play

a topic in The Library, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

An organized archive of roleplaying guides, including step-by-step, how-to, and general essays on theory.

Character Creation in Role Play

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Jun 11, 2010 7:58 pm

How to Create a Lasting Character for Role Playing
Yes, I know there are several threads in the RPA forum branch, but I thought that I would add my own method of creating characters since I seem to preach so much about how important it is to portray on correctly in order to have immersed role play. Now, this is all subjective, you don't have to go and actually make a profile, type it all in to show everyone, etc. This is merely a thread to show you what to think about when considering a new character to role play with.

Now, when first starting out. We want to make something new and fresh, not something that's been done too much. Yeah, I understand that's a little difficult to do since there's not much that hasn't been done before. No worry though, what I am talking about is approaching the same type of character, but in a different way, making them unique to yourself and not the other author. But try to steer away from the more used character bases: Vampires, Werewolves, Demons, Angels, Hybrids, Furries, and general Anime inspired characters. There is so much more to explore than just those kinds of creatures, you just have to tap into your imagination. Again, I'm not telling you that you can't do this, but merely expressing an opinion.

With that said, let's make a character!

• Step One: Naming your character
    I have seen various makes of names not only on this site, but through my entire roleplaying career. I've seen the bad, the worse, and the ugly. But I have also seen the incredibly memorable-stuck inside my head forever-names. What I find is that, a name is going to be the first thing that interests an author to interact with your own (at least in my experience). You want to make it simple, easy to read, and have a level of comfort when typing that name. Remember, you're not going to be the only one typing out that name. Having something like Tshldarealade is going to make other readers and authors have to stop what they are doing and concentrate solely on trying to pronounce that name. This in turn distracts from the story, and ruins that experience. Use something as simple as Sarah. But that's too plain! Well, why don't you try playing with the lettering? Use Serah, Sera, Sara, Sarrah, etc. It's still easy to read and easily remembered by other readers and writers.

• Step Two: Making a Short Biography
    This is what generally is the physical makeup of your character:
    • Hair Color
    • Eye Color
    • Weight
    • Height

And I am just like you, I can't just picture any person in my head and describe all these things. There's nothing wrong with basing your character's looks off a picture you found. I do it too. But claiming that art as your own work, when it is not, is illegal and immoral. It can also get our wonderful site creator in much trouble! So be sure to cite any and all pictures that you use with a link, or make a small statement at the bottom that it belongs to the original creator and not yourself. Better yet! Don't use the picture at all but describe it through words instead.

You may want to also make a concise personality entry as well, though you don't have to go all out with it. Just give the basics and let people feel your character, and learn about them through the roleplay. Give them a tease, but not the whole cookie. While you don't have to detail it to an extent, this is about making a character and not a profile for your character! You need to think about certain aspects of their personality like:

• Temperament
    • Moral beliefs
    • Ethical beliefs
    • Religious beliefs
    • Political stance
    • Hobbies
    • Habits
    • Eccentricities
    • Phobias
    • Goals

Now if you are new to roleplaying/writing/creating characters in general, then this is probably where you should stop as it is all the necessary information but, unfortunately, won't make the character last. But that's okay! We all have to start somewhere, I know I didn't start at with a platinum medal under my belt. For those that are a bit more advanced or wish to challenge themselves, let's carry on!

• Step Three: Creating Weakness
    To be blunt and honest, those god-like characters with no flaws, no dents, or rust... are boring and I distaste playing with them, but I still do to be an interactive member, of course. No person is perfect. They are not perfect until you give them flaws! Give your character an astounding and blinding weakness that is what provides tension to fuel his current and long term goals. This does not have to be a physical weakness, it can be psychological as well. One of my favorite weaknesses in a character is played by CptxMorgan, and he even points it out in roleplay through his character. His character is completely and totally human, who is an alcoholic. He is probably the most vulnerable person sitting IC (in character) because he has no powers/magic/abilities/etc whatsoever. It's a beautiful weakness to have and I commend CptxMorgan's roleplaying ability for it.

This is where conflict comes into play during story telling. Make your character have to face this weakness, but never let the readers know that he can overcome it! Build that suspense, let your character fall a few times in defeat, and when the catalyst for evolving is presented at the most opportune moment for a climax, seize that chance but never let anyone see it coming! Dropping subtle hints here and there, again teasing your audience, is the best way to send a thrill into the minds of those that are relating to your character.

• Step Four: Building Empathy
    You want your readers to be able to connect emotionally and situationally with your character. This creates a bond between the three of you (character, writer, and reader). Nothing can make your character more believable than someone actually saying, "I know exactly how that feels". When you get that response, then you know you have done an excellent job in writing your character, and in his creation. Give readers that backstory in tid-bits, expression their emotions, help them to see things through your characters point of view, and show your audience your character's heart.

• Step Five: Obstacles and Goals
    When you make a character, you're not just making that character and that's all. You are creating a story from your brilliant imagination. Give your character a goal, and a reason to get to that goal. But don't over do it. We don't need Mary Sues running around too much, but more Lary Whos (Who's that? A realistic character). What you should also do when making goals for him is to create obstacles for him to reach and have to deal with; conflict. Now, they don't always have to be this huge event in their life, they can just be small ones such as getting a flat tire, running out of money, getting fired from work, etc. Help your character overcome these in realistic ways. Don't just make it uninteresting to where they can be instantly solved. That's boring!

• Step Six: Evolving Your Character
    Writing has two different types of characters: Dynamic and Static. Unless it is an NPC, you want to remain away from having a static character, because having them as your main character will stall the storyline, and eventually make you lost interest from your audience. Static characters are ones that will always remain the same and never change throughout a story. On the other hand, what you want to do is make a Dynamic character; someone who changes and alters their personality. But I warn you! These changes cannot just happen anywhere out of the blue! They must have catalysts, or reasons for them to change. Before you actually set your character off into the RP (roleplay) world, give them a short moment before hand so you can think about what they could go through that would change their view on life.

• Step Seven: Stick with Your Character
    Don't abandon them just because no one wants to play with them. Most likely the reason they aren't getting any action is because you are trying to implement them into a story or you haven't created one that others appeal towards. That's okay though if you can't do that. General roleplay will eventually get your character some attention, from someone, somewhere. You just have to keep an eye out for who, and where that is. More often than not, people tend to roleplay with characters that they have seen over and over again, because they get into the mindset that you love that character and they are not just going to disappear for no reason!

• Step Eight: Stay Consistent
    Don't just give your character some sort of power/ability/talent/magic out of the blue. That ruins the character and destroys their story. Don't make them fall in love with the first person they meet either. Changing their history on the fly is also very detrimental to the survival of your character. If you decide to change anything about them, bring it on slowy, and allow it to have a plausible reason for the change. Always, always, always, remain within the boundary of your character's capability.

• Step Nine: Character Interaction
    We've got the character now and we only have to take him out into the world! This is great! When interacting with other characters, remember that you are collaboratively writing with other authors. Don't be afraid to let them effect your character with their character's actions. If yours doesn't like what's going on particularly, then create conflict and find a resolution! Also, don't be afraid to effect someone's character either; take an initiative. Meta-gaming, GodModing, PowerPlaying are all frowned upon by the roleplaying community and should be avoided completely. No one likes for others to decide what happens to their characters, especially when it comes to death. So do take in consideration what you are writing and how it can possibly effect others. I can accept a Mary Sue, but I can't accept someone choosing what to do with my character for themselves.

• Step Ten: Have Fun
    The whole point of roleplaying and making a great character is to have fun and forget about the worries of life for just a little while. Don't let anything that goes on IC take a toll on you outside of that little fictional world. We're all here just to have a good time, and having people yell at us for ridiculous reasons, harassing to roleplay, flaming a person's character choice or style of roleplay, etc is just going to mark you as someone who doesn't really want to be here for the community but for their own selfish desires. So, take care in all that you do and say here at RoleplayGatway.

If you have any questions, feedback, or comments do add them here for further discussion. I don't wish to be PM'd because I rather it all to be seen so that others can share in with the knowledge.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Re: Character Creation in Role Play

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:06 pm

As per usual I have to commend you on your article. Not simply the thoroughness which is appreciated, but the mere fact that this is how I view characterization in its entirety. I have several PC characters, all of whom have some sort of weakness with which they struggle. In fact. . . I am MORE fascinated by character weaknesses than strengths. I love characters that are dynamic in their persona, ones that make me empathize, wonder, question, become angry or feel depressed for them. More so, I pride myself on my ability to make such characters.

The one thing I wanted to add about naming characters is ethnicity. Some characters are done within the realm of reality like in modern roleplays. I want to point out that during my time roleplaying, I've noticed a gross abuse of foreign name structures. Be sure to STUDY the structure of the name of the country from which you want your character to hail. Let me provide an example:

Russian names:

Russian names are comprised of three parts, formally. The given (or Christian) name, the patronymic, and the surname (or family name).

The given name is the only thing similar to English names. It is pretty cut and dry. You pick a name you like and use it (i.e.: Ekaterina, Nadezhda, Yuriy, Evgeniy, et cetera). The 'patronymic' functions like a middle name usually, but it is NOT a regular middle name. It is taken directly from the father (or available father figure) of the child. But it basically functions as such: Nikolai Grigorevich Kovalev . . . Nikolai functions as the given name, Grigorievich is the patronymic, and Kovalev is the family name. 'Grigorievich' descends from Grigory. From the name 'Nikolai Grigorievich', a Russian can deduce that Nikolai's father's name is Grigory (ich refers to 'son', and 'ev' is a locative suffix meaning 'of' . . . of in the manner 'comes from'---so it literally means 'son of Grigory'). Conversely, a female name could function like . . . Aleksandra Grigorievna Kovaleva. 'Evna' functions as the female form of 'ich', and refers to her being a daughter of Grigory. In Russia, these siblings would be referred to in the formal world with their first and patronymic names only. Family members in the informal world would refer to the boy as Kolya and the female as Sasha or Shura (really affectionately, you could also use 'Kolka', more for like a little boy, or Sashenka or Shurochka for the girl).

In the English world, shortening Alexandra that way would be. . .

Aleksandra = Alexandra
Sasha, Shura = Alex
Sashenka, Shurochka = Lexi

Nikolai = Nicholas
Kolya = Nick
Kolka = Nicky

The family name is GENDERIZED. You will NOT see a female with the surname Kovalev. They will attach an 'A' to their name that denotes they are female. The endings correspond as such:

Male = Ev, ov, ich, ko, in
Female = Eva, ova, ich (doesn't change), ko (doesn't change), ina ---> (i.e.: Lenin = Lenina, Stalin = Stalina)

My overall point here is that if you're making realistic characters with a back story, do your best to make the person's story as accurate as possible. When I see Russian characters, I see 'Nikolai Ivan Gutsev' (wrong because of the patronymic), or for girls, even worse. . . Ekaterina Nadya Gutsev (no patronymic, no genderized surname).
β€’civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaosβ€’

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:12 pm

I am so glad that you pointed that out UnderINK. I didn't know that there are specifics when concerning certain ethnicities. Well, I did, but not to that extent. I figured, Hey! I'll just pick a name from a list that stands out and Bam! character is made. I'm sure that I have had some wrongly named characters now.

Maybe someone should do an article explaining how to play different types of Ethnicities?

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:39 pm

Oooh, yes, one could most defintely do that; describing all the different ways to define you're character's Ethnicities! :D One could do some of the most popular ones, like Japanese, or perhaps German, or even Korean. :D I would do this myself, as the topic intrigues me, but, sadly, at this moment in life I haven't the time. :( But, if another was to create such a post, I would most positively take time from my day to read it. :D

Litria Death
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:56 pm

I am sure that I could do some massive research on the internet to make a basic guideline, but I rather for someone who is educated and/or is part of that ethnicity to explain the cultural standards on that particular heritage.

Prose
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:04 pm

I could get around to it if you guys are that interested. :)

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:27 pm

I think first we need to ask around as to which ethnicities would be interesting to players. I think it would be easier for whomever makes the guide to have a pointed list of requested information. Rather than scattering around to find something on every single one out there.

Prose
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Fri Jun 11, 2010 10:42 pm

Ah, yes, that's a good idea. Maybe, um, take a poll on a few commonly used ethnicities and see which would be the most desired to learn more about. So, since we're on this part, I recommend a few Asian ethnicites; Japanese, Chinese, Korean. As you more than likely know, there are a lot of Anime fans on this site, so many like to use Asian names for their characters. :D

Litria Death
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Fri Jun 11, 2010 11:49 pm

Keep in mind, frequently regional ethnicities have similar name structures. A lot of Asiatic countries, for instance, name their children similarly. Russian name structure isn't specific to Russia---it has commonalities with Japanese and other ethnicities people use. So when I compile the article, it's likely it won't be riddled with different sections for each; I will probably list ethnicities together that use the same name structure. I was going to go simply off of the nationalities I've seen over the last eleven years I've been roleplaying (Japanese, Chinese, Russian, German, French, Italian, Greek and Arabic). But if you want to do a poll, we can do that as well.

UnderINK
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:15 am

That seems to be the most logical way of compiling the guide.

Prose
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Sat Jun 12, 2010 10:59 am

Where should the poll be posted? It would get the most attention in Debate/Discussions, but that isn't for roleplay related material. Right here in RPA?

UnderINK
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:16 pm

Hmm... To be honest, I don't really know where one should post a poll like this. :P I guess you could post it in the Debate/Discussions, because, techniquely, we could get away with it. :l So very unsure.

Litria Death
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Sat Jun 12, 2010 12:53 pm

I'm going to write the article without the poll. I'm confident I will hit the target interest areas of ethnicity without a public poll. That being said, I will probably do it as soon as I'm finished tidying up my roleplay this weekend. ;)

UnderINK
Member for 17 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Jun 17, 2010 6:50 pm

Names and naming conventions are one of my Aspergian special interests. The majority of my characters come from non-Western European backgrounds, and I always give them names according to the proper conventions. I can contribute to UnderINK's article on the naming conventions of various areas - in layman's parlance, as much as possible - with perfunctory but effective entries detailing the proper construction of names from various ethnicities/cultures/regions. My particular specialty is the Middle East and Africa.
β€‹β€œAnother world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

β€œThe only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

β€œevery day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:43 pm

Ooh, I do love African names. :D Like, goodness I don't recall the tribe, but they speak with these special symbols that represent certain sounds one makes with the tongue...(Well, now that I think about it, let's what everyone does. :P) But, this tribe would click their tongue or roll it from a particular part of the mouth. :D It was fun to attempt and they had some interesting names. :)

Litria Death
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:48 pm

Litria Death wrote:Ooh, I do love African names. :D Like, goodness I don't recall the tribe, but they speak with these special symbols that represent certain sounds one makes with the tongue...(Well, now that I think about it, let's what everyone does. :P) But, this tribe would click their tongue or roll it from a particular part of the mouth. :D It was fun to attempt and they had some interesting names. :)

I believe you speak of the Xhosa (pronounced 'k'osa, with 'k' representing a sound made with a clicking noise).

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Litria Death on Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:52 pm

That's probably it... I read about it during the middle of the school year, as we were studying Africa, and, gosh, I just couldn't recall what it was. But, I'd be very interested in learning about that. :)

Litria Death
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!