Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Character Weaknesses

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Re: Character Weaknesses

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eyeris on Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:59 pm

When I create a character, I think of physical and mental weaknesses and strengths.

To break it down into simple 'types': Character is a fighter, They are strong but not fast.

For a mental or personality weakness: Character is a mad chemist, but takes all orders literally and automatically.

You could also break it down to the third emotional sphere of weakness: Character is a social butterfly with a likable personality, but is completely terrified of physical contact with others.

I like the above discussion of context. A character trait is only a flaw when it is challenged. For example, my strong-not-fast sumo wrestler character has no problem in the sumo ring... but if he were fighting a fast ninja, his slowness becomes a really bad thing.

I do not think it matters how you balance your character, as long as you do so.

I would not pick a bone over how the question is asked on a character application. Often Strengths and weaknesses are asked for because players might not automatically think about both (and thus why this tread exists). I don't see a problem with summarizing your weaknesses and strengths, then elaborating on their relationships in their 'personality' field.

I <3 weaknesses. It makes for better characters and more interesting role-play!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Eyeris
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ViceVersus on Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:08 pm

Hey there again, Eyeris! Your friendly neighborhood forum stalker Sato here.

Anyways, flawed characters are a necessary source for good storytelling. More often than not, it's the human heart (flawed) against itself that drives most conflict in narrative work. There are dozens, hundreds of examples of this out there in the literary world - not just that, but in television, movies, anything at all. And, of course, in ourselves.

Characters that are "perfect" in every way are boring. They're not relatable, and above all, they're not realistic. Unless they're pitted against people with flaws, you won't be able to tell as compelling of a story.

Thanks for posting!

-VV

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ViceVersus
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Lifegiver Visual Appeal Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:31 pm

I don't recall who said it, but I prefer not looking at "strengths" and "weaknesses" as being two separate things, as one can easily turn into the other given a different set of circumstances. A law-abiding citizen is guaranteed to stay out of trouble in normal situations, but during, say, a zombie apocalypse, the same person would have difficulty adjusting to the new so-called rules that governed daily life. Someone who's full of pride might hurl herself against any opponent heedless of danger, yet a crafty opponent can easily get her to run headlong into various traps, thus defeating her without needing to resort to a head-on confrontation.

In other words: Whether a given personality trait is beneficial or hindering is completely dependent on the situation, therefore there is no such thing as a strength or weakness. (One could argue that having a phobia would count as a weakness, and I'd be inclined to agree as long as it's roleplayed consistently.)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Eyeris on Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:26 am

*waves* hihi!

I couldn't help but notice how apt your avatar is for an internet stalker friendly new face.

Thanks again for the welcome. ^_~

Eyeris
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xiaotuanzi on Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 am

A weak heart and the inability to deal with sudden and violent shocks as quick as normal people can, I think it's a great weakness and setback as it can add to a story, and it's all about the story and fun to me.

xiaotuanzi
Member for 12 years

Previous

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!