Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Clone of D&D suited for Dark Fantasy?

a topic in Game Design Workshop, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: Ambassadors, Scholars

A forum for discussions about the general design of RPG systems and techniques for building good roleplaying games.

Clone of D&D suited for Dark Fantasy?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby ShedenSmith on Sat Nov 30, 2019 3:37 am

I'm looking for a "almost clone" of D&D that gathers all of its rules in a single book of easily digestible size (200-300 Pages maximum) instead of the three books. I don't care which version D&D is cloned, what I'm looking for is a RPG that would allow me to emulate a universe inspired by the Black Company or Berserk,gritty, humans only and Dark and low-fantasy. If I go on a "D&D clone" instead of the usual answers like Warhammer it's because in these kind of games the PCs are as powerful as anemic mushrooms, without going into a Shonen Fantasy delirium I would like the PCs to be powerful enough to have the opportunity to shine and "be cool".

I already know that Black Company for D&D 3.5 is already a thing but I also think that 3.5 sucks ass, so it's out.

Also, no Narrative Game, no PBTA games, No blades in the dark variant and such other similar concepts, thanks but no thanks.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

ShedenSmith
Member for 5 years

Re: Clone of D&D suited for Dark Fantasy?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sat Nov 30, 2019 10:43 pm

Our very own ColeMaibara has published a few third-party supplements for Pathfinder under the label of Black Flame Studios, check those out!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Re: Clone of D&D suited for Dark Fantasy?

Tips: 0.25 INK Postby Gatan on Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:20 am

Symbaroum. Unfortunately, it is quite tied to the setting it comes from — but I believe this can be circumvented if you want to adapt it for a magicless setting. The race system is also used for different cultures, and each race is a maximum of two or three different traits each, and it can be really easily homebrewed to work as cultural background (as Symbaroum does between Ambria humans and barbarian humans) or backgrounds (like giving your gladiator players a trait that makes them better with swords).

Alternatively, try a generic system like GURPS or FATE.
Love shall do.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.25 INK in return for their work.

Gatan
Member for 8 years
Author Lifegiver Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Tipworthy

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!