Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

FPPOV Roleplayer looking for a brush up

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

FPPOV Roleplayer looking for a brush up

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DrHawk on Wed May 16, 2012 4:39 pm

Hi all,

Hawk here. I am looking for some advice or others willing to do some RP's in first person or are willIng to work with a person like myself in a third person enviroment. As well any suggestions on how to approach others with FPPOV and any other suggestions are appreciated. As for my writing, I like to think I can always learn despite how good I think I am so feel free to suggest. Thank you for your time.

Hawk
"Try to get a better understanding of something before you make your judgement..."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DrHawk
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings

Re: FPPOV Roleplayer looking for a brush up

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vyral on Wed May 16, 2012 5:22 pm

Hey Hawk,

I'm a fan of first person writing myself. I'd be happy to lend you any support that I can. I'll provide some links to first-person writing I've done myself so that you can take a look, and see whether my style is the sort of thing you're aiming towards. If so, great. If not, I'll see if I can't find some other FP writers to come and give you a hand. What specifically are you after, in terms of advice?

Link One
Link Two

As I said, specific places of interest would be helpful otherwise I run the risk of rambling out information but nott actually hitting onto what you need.

Vyral

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Vyral
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DrHawk on Wed May 16, 2012 10:26 pm

I am seeking advice on how to integrate with other roleplayers not using first person.

DrHawk
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DrHawk on Thu May 17, 2012 10:59 am

I guess it was too much to as for eh?

DrHawk
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vyral on Thu May 17, 2012 11:10 am

Ha, the complete opposite of what I posted, then. Your first post has confused me, somewhat. I can't say that there are any real answers to your question: just be friendly, polite and try your best. Integrating with players is just about putting your best foot forwards. If you're unsure about playing the content, then search for the tag 'beginner'.

Vyral
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DrHawk on Thu May 17, 2012 11:32 am

Thats the thing. I am far from beginner. However I have had large arguments with People who seem to think YOU CAN ONLY RP IN THIRD PERSON, RAGE!!! Purists if you ask me.

DrHawk
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu May 17, 2012 12:25 pm

The problem with first person point of view (for a lot of people, anyway) is that in scenes that involve a lot of characters, it's just as difficult for the character to keep track as it would be for you to talk to multiple people at once--unless you grew up in an Italian household, I suppose. Third-person perspectives don't have this problem to such an extent, thus giving the writer more freedom in what they can write. It also helps establish that the character and the player are NOT one and the same, which can be an important thing to establish in the reader's (and writer's!) mind in certain contexts.

Let me try to explain what I mean by that last statement. In roleplays that are designed to explore a controversial topic like the war on drugs, say your character finds himself being a drug runner. The disconnect between player and character that the third person perspective provides thus allows the player to insulate himself to a certain extent from the actions his character takes, as well as their consequences, and this in turn allows you to write for a broader range of character archetypes and backgrounds. (This is almost a necessity for me if I find myself wanting to play the bad guy, for example.)

I get the impression third-person is as awkward for you as first-person is for many of us, but at least give it the old college try. After all, when in Rome, do as the Romans do. The main exception to this rule is when you're the game master of an RP. Then you can require that posts be written in first person and there will be absolutely nothing the players can do about it. >:)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby dienow239 on Thu May 17, 2012 1:32 pm

Ill rp with you as long as you don't mind me making short replies from time to time

dienow239
Member for 12 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DrHawk on Thu May 17, 2012 1:35 pm

It's not that I have not done third person, in fact I have done it alot; it's just the fact I HATE it. As for multitasking I myself never have that issue as I can easily hold different conversations. As for charecter develoPment I feel that by using FP it allows me to get into the charecters head. Feel their thoughts. Feel their emotions. I just feel better connected, as we're in third person I feel like a puppeteer. Maybe It just stems from my D&D and Pathfinder days. We would all use First person, and ironically it's how I was first introduced to RP. If I can't find anyone here willing to bear with me, then I guess tough luck.

DrHawk
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu May 17, 2012 2:18 pm

Okay, if first person is how you got started, then I guess that's your "native language" of roleplay. My apologies for not understanding that. As I stated earlier, though, there can be advantages to being a puppeteer.

The only other solution I can think of is to ask that your partners (due to the rarity of the style, I'd suggest you stick to one on ones) write in the first person as well. It can be a learning experience for them.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DrHawk on Thu May 17, 2012 3:54 pm

Thing is I came here to have some fun. So far a spent the past few months lurking the site caused I don't want to be bothered on my issue. I have RP'd in mixed perspective before but those were smaller communities. I just got here and already it seems the likely hood of mixed RP is not happening.

PS if you see grammer errors or something blame my iPhone.

DrHawk
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LordSaladin on Thu May 17, 2012 9:26 pm

See, to me the solution is simple. You said you can roleplay in third person, right? If you see a roleplay you like, contact the GM and ask if posting in first-person is fine. If it is, win. If it isn't, just join and write in third person, you still win because you get to roleplay.

Alternatively, make your own roleplays. That way, you set the rules and can more or less do exactly as you please.

Either way, lurking and not getting involved because people might not like you writing in first-person isn't going to help in the slightest.
Please tell me now what life is, Please tell me now what love is... Again, tell me what life is.

Tiko says: Saladin: Damn it, leave my hole alone.

LordSaladin
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 18 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Contributor Greeter World Builder Arc Warden Visual Appeal Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DrHawk on Thu May 17, 2012 10:18 pm

This is true. I'm just self defeating and stubborn. I don't know about using 3rdP, but your right. I have some applications to make.

DrHawk
Member for 12 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!