Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Fullmetal Alchemist Roleplay?

a topic in Interest Checks, a part of the RPG forum.

Thinking about starting a roleplay, but don't have the idea completely finished? Post it here, not in the main OOC forum!

Re: Fullmetal Alchemist Roleplay?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:04 pm

Alright Elizabeth, be sure to post a link on this thread when you get the roleplay up. ^_^

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:03 pm

well as far as some technical stuff goes one tihng is while not encouraging human transmutation backstories i wouldn't damn them, though i wouldn't encourage them. The reason human transmutation is so important is that it was the drive for many to gain the power of a state alchemist to bring back loved ones lost.

As a side note while not all characters should be alchemists at all, with the political climate and the draft they no doubt would have lowered the difficulty to become a state alchemist to increase their numbers. As such there would be many mroe alchemists now, but because of the military structure that could cause some problems. All alchemists of the state carry the honorary equivelancy of a Major, but due to the increase in alchemists i suggest that rank be reduced to First Lieutenat as otherwise we'll be drownign in Majors with no where to go.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:51 pm

Well, I suppose we are trying to avoid human transmutation since it was such a large concept in the actual series. It would be nice to focus on another taboo, possibly, to make the roleplay a bit more interesting. I also think we should try to avoid re-incarnations of homunculi, and have new villains. If others want to create new homunculi, that would be fine, but I don't want to bring back too many already-existing characters.

Well, I think it would be interesting to keep state alchemists' ranks equivalent to a major's, because then that would mean more competition for higher ranks. However, I see how that could cause problems.

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:15 am

That's understandable, though as far as back stories go perhaps leaving it to the player would be more practical, and focusing on another Taboo I think was slightly mentioned; actually not a taboo but the focus being the battle between Technology and Alchemy. If the General was not an Alchemist it would turn into an internal conflict, Mustang, the alchemic genius, and the General who would be the Technological bias.

Speaking of Technology we still have to determine that as well, as in what technology does Drachma have as opposed to Amestris. We’ve already mentioned aircraft in Drachma’s arsenal for their night raids, but in the show Amestris didn’t have Aircraft. Admittedly that was twenty years ago, so while that may have been developed would they be at different periods? Say Drachma is in later WWII aircraft while Amestris is still using Inter War Period air craft (slightly better than WWI).

As for the rank issue perhaps a compromise at Captain giving them a total of four possible ranks to move through (General being a rank that a PC would not want to have as they would be a desk officer and basically be out of the game) or another option would be possibly to give the Alchemists a Rank structure of their own aside from their military rank: While all alchemists are majors or higher they also have a class ranking of Class 3 to Class 1. A Class 3 being more of a newly admitted and unproven in battle, Class 2 being a field operative who has command over more troops than the previous soldier, and Class 1 of course being those who are veterans and have command over perhaps several other Alchemists.

Also, if you guys need someone to create a character sheet code for the RP I can oblige that need. Just say the word.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elizabeth ArStrange on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:58 am

(Note: I wrote the majority of this before your last posts, Elrith, so I apologize if I'm being repetitive or anything)

Yes, I believe it would be best to avoid human transmutation as a rule. If it comes up on its own as an event in the roleplay itself, that's one (interesting) thing, but from all the evidence provided by the (Brotherhood) series, Ed and Al's situation was fairly unique and not something likely to be repeated again, or tolerated by the state. While it's certainly possible that instances of human transmutation may have increased somewhat due to the war and the fact that so many people are dying, the majority of state alchemists in the series went for their state certification despite having no such background, so there must be other motivating factors (income in a poor economy, research, rank, access to the libraries, etc.).

If someone wants their character to have a tragic past motivating their present actions, okay, but I likely won't accept profiles that too closely reiterate cannon.

With Humunculi, we have to remember that in the Brotherhood universe in which we are operating, the only one powerful enough to even create one was Father, and he's disappeared into the void. I'm confident in our ability to think up alchemic monstrosities of our own, though there may be weaker variants of homunculi wandering around.

On the other hand, I certainly agree that not all character need to be alchemists to be important within our roleplay and I can certainly see how the war would influence Amestris's treatment of state alchemists. Perhaps, as a compromise, there are two variants of them now? Those who were drafted and exhibit alchemic ability are considered Alchemists of the State and given a slight bump in pay and rank above the average soldier. The title of Alchemist of the State might influence some of the more weak willed of their comrades, but they are essentially in the same position they would be otherwise, except the Amestrian military is aware of their abilities. Those who took the certification exam prior to the war, or without being drafted, maintain the true title of State Alchemist and receive the code name, the rank of major, and significant pay. However, due to the fact that Amestris can simply draft the majority of its alchemic force, the difficult of the exam has been increased and the benefits have fallen significantly. If you take the exam and fail, you are likely to be drafted into the military anyway due to demonstrating significant ability, and if you do pass, you mark yourself as someone so darkly-minded that you would choose to go off to war as a tool of the state even as those around you are made to leave their family, friends, and lives against their will. I mean, I'm sure many intend to fight Drachma out of a sense of patriotism, but State Alchemists seem sometimes to be regarded by the public as elitist and power hungry, and with the Fullmetal Alchemsit gone from the scene for so long, it's possible that mindset would become prevalent again.

It's only an idea, but that way we wouldn't have to be as concerned with specifics rankings.

Below is what I'm planning to post in regards to characters. It is somewhat vague in regards to the second group of characters, but I didn't want to limit what people might come up with.

xxx

In addition to non-player characters, the faceless crowds, carriage drivers, and cannon characters of the world, there are two core groups our characters will fall into at the start of our roleplay.

There are the draftees, a group of young soldiers whose numbers were drawn by lottery, requiring them to report to Central and serve as part of the Amestrian military. While some may exhibit alchemic abilities, many more are simply city folk, refugees, or apprentice in a single trade, and may never have dreamed of going off to war. Initially, our soldiers will reside in Barrack #13 as they train to become part of the military force enforcing martial law in Central. In the future, they may be deployed, desert their posts, or find that they are truly needed in Central, but for now they maintain the privilege to explore the city during their free hours so long as they remain in uniform.

The second group is, well, everyone else. The terrorists, civilians, Drachman spies... anyone you can think of, be they on the side of Amestris, Drachma, or their own, so long as they contribute to the overall story.

Our roleplay will open on our draftees’ day of arrival in Central. Coming by train, car, or simply down the streets of the city they have always lived in, they have been ordered to report to Barrack #13 by no later than eleven o’clock to receive their uniforms and to be inspected by their superior officer. Alchemists are encouraged to come forward and demonstrate their abilities at this time, and other talents will be tested soon after. For them, this is a day of great importance, but for those outside the military it may be one like any other... which doesn’t mean they won’t have something planned.

xxx

Now I just need to put together the character skeleton, and we'll be ready to go! Character sheet code? That could be quite helpful Elrith, although I'm not entirely certain what it is!

Elizabeth ArStrange
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:16 am

All of you are so good at putting together roleplays, and I'm horrible at planning. I suppose I'm just kind of spontaneous and just do whatever my mind tells me, but I wish I could be a better planner.

Anyways, i really like all of those ideas Elizabeth. Are we going to allow others to roleplay already-existing characters? I think we should consider having someone roleplay Mustang since he is the fuhrer, after all.

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:26 am

its the chara skeleton ready for peopel to copy and paste so they can make their charas, i had a FMA rp awhile back and i saved the skeleton, i just PMed it to you actually, but if you guys want i can post a community version here so everyone can comment and speculate.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:27 am

You could post it here, if you'd like.

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:35 am

Code: Select all
[font=times]
[center]Personnel File[/center]
[size=120][b]Name:[/b]( Last, First )[/size]
[b]Age:[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b]
[b]Rank:[/b](Ask the GM(s))
[b]Birth Date:[/b](Month, Day)
[b]Enlistment Date:[/b]
[b](Alias(es):[/b]
[right][img](Here insert a URL for an image of your character[/img][/right]

[size=120][b][u]Personality Profile[/u][/b][/size]

(Here write a personality profile for your character, include their views on past events such as the war of the homunculi and a view on the current political climate (do they support or appall the recent changes to democratic and then to militaristic issues?)

[list][b]Likes[/b]
[/list]

[list][b]Dislikes[/b]
[/list]

[size=120][b][u]Military Record[/u][/b][/size]

(Here write a brief summary of your characters past [u]Military[/u] actions, please note that most will have been to basic training and maybe one or two stations before coming to Central)

[size=120][b][u]Personal History[/u][/b][/size]

(This needs no explanation, typical history, where they come from, and why they are in the military are good points to touch on)

(Note*: If your character is an Alchemist then immediately following the Name section paste: [size=130][b]Code Name:[/b](Alchemist nick name)[/size].  Be sure to check all other characters to make sure you and another player don’t share the same code name. If you can’t think of one the OOC is liable to have players eager to give you some witty nick names.)

[/font]

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:43 am

You shouldn't worry aobut being spontaneous. Roleplays are started by planners but they stall swiftly as planners typically wait too long to act and the roleplay dies. Its the spontaneous people that give it the boost it needs to keep moving. The most successful roleplays have the players constantly checkign to see if something unexpected happens and keeps us all moving forward. Its a good thing, plus your a planner yourself, you planned enough to mention this RP o nthe Interest Checks before posting it and that something most don't do.

as a note to the above skeleton, in the game imade it for we had a date for the actually game so the players could come up with exact dates for enlistment and such, that could be done here if we just determine the year that Brotherhood ended in and add twenty too it. but it can be removed as well. The whole skeleton is made ot look like a military profile when completed.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:44 am

That looks like a good skeleton, but do you think we'll have to add a place to put our character's appearance?

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:46 am

Oh, and I guess I'm glad to be spontaneous now. Thanks for pointing all those things out to me. ^_^

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:55 am

the photo section was all that we needed in my RP because we all had deviant art people drawing them for us (different site) and there were no premade history and equipment section in the character sheet thread. I actually just added the bold and underlines things for this site befoe posting it but you're right, maybe we do need a
Code: Select all
[b][u]Physical Description[/u][/b]
just before the Personality Profile.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:01 pm

Oh, okay then.

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Mon Aug 13, 2012 12:54 pm

for the time in the world remember that they burned down their home October 3, 1910... then the show take three years right? so 1913, then we are what, twenty to twenty five years later right. If we say twenty two we could have the rp start at right around summer 1935. Of course this might all be pointless for the RP, but that's what i could dig up on the time line of Brotherhood.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:08 pm

You could dig up the time line if you want, just to get an accurate date.

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:29 pm

lol i hope, there's a full timeline for the Full Metal Alchemist series, but the Brotherhood timeline is beign more difficult to find lol: but i just foudn one that i'm not sure of its validity. though it claims that the war ended somewhere about 1914-1916, meaning i was off by a few years but if we set it twenty years later assuming the war ended in 1915 (the timeline stops at greed being reabsorbed by Father and picks up in 1917 with ed and winry getting married) then the game woudl still start in 1935. Not that i want it to start there so i was right, i just like that number ot be honest lol.

http://fma.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_Mang ... mist_(2009)

where i found this.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby SweetInsanity on Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:03 pm

That sounds like a reasonable date to me.

SweetInsanity
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elizabeth ArStrange on Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:18 pm

The summer of 1935 sounds like a good starting point, thanks for figuring all that out Elrith. Shall we say our roleplay begins August 13th, 1935 then?

@Elrith: I absolutely love the look of your coding. I was going to discourage the use of pictures, but I think I'll be doing the opposite now simply to see it put to full use! I've made some changes for clarity and to reflect a few things more specific to our roleplay, as seen below. If anyone knows what the official rank of an entrance level soldier would be, then I'd love to put that in the place of draftee.

In regard to technology, I'd say you're spot on. Both may have progressed to the point of deploying aircrafts in the war, but Drachma has a distict advantage. Outside of that, I'd like to avoid television and keep much of Amestris dependent on trains in order to maintain the same sort of tone, though I suppose cars and electricity would have advanced as well.

Personnel File

Name:( Last, First )
Rank: (Draftee, Alchemist of the State, State Alchemist*)
Birth Date:(Month, Day, Year)
Enlistment Date: (August 13, 1935 if drafted*)
[img]Insert%20URL-Anime%20Only[/img]

Physical Description

(A suppliment to the above, but be descriptive and be sure to note any features that differ. Hair, eyes, build, and other defining characterists are all things to touch on.)

Personality Profile

(How can your character be expected to react to the world around them? Quirks? Habits? What are they afraid of and what sets them off? What do they hope to achieve? Be sure to include their views on the current political climate and general instability in Amestris. Do they support the military's actions? Those of the state?)

Dislikes

Military Record

(A brief summary of your character's past involvement with the Amestiran military. Draftees will have had nothing beyond basic training prior to reporting to Central, but those involved with the state by choice or who have had past run ins with the law may have lengthier records.)

Personal History

(An overview of your character's life. Where do they come from? What events have shaped your chacter as a person? Has the war had a significant impact on their life?)

(Note*: If your character is not enlisted in the Amestrian military, remove the starred sections and paste: Alligance/Employment:(Your character's job, if employed, and what country or organization they are loyal to, if any) in place of the enlistment date.)

@Sweet: I think it would be best to play Mustang as a NPC. If he is ever in the area of our OCs (or on the radio), I could write his dialogue and action, but for the most part I think he would impact the lives of our characters tangentially. That is to say, we might decide he's made a decision on something, prompting action of the military which we must react to, but we would rarely see him. The Fuhrer is a busy man, after all ;D. I think we had decided to treat other cannon characters similarly, right? They might enter the story as the supporting cast, but no one would actually own them as a character.

Okay, I'm pretty much ready to get this thing up and running. Fullmetal Alchemist: Mind and Soul... coming to a webpage near you.

Elizabeth ArStrange
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Elrith Eldwind on Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:00 am

OHHHH, i've been sending you a few PM's there Eliz and you never replied, but i'm guessing you have yet to make over twenty five posts right? You have to send, i think Twenty five, posts before you can reply to PMs or send any, so you might want to post a few more times so you can reply before becomign a GM, as there will be many PMs to you as the GM and being unable to reply would be a real issue that coudl cost you several players.

Elrith Eldwind
Member for 14 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!