Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Predators: Prey of the Universe

Humans, or Yautja?

a part of “Predators: Prey of the Universe”, a fictional universe by KumoriRyuu.

Hunters, or the hunted? You decide!

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Predators: Prey of the Universe”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Humans, or Yautja?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:48 am

This is the thread where we will discuss and debate about whether to portray human or Yautja characters in the RP. I have submitted one of each kind of character so you can see what kind of differences the RP will have depending on which you choose. So, submit your personal desire for either a human or a Yautja here, and we'll begin the discussion right away!
Kumori Ryuu

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver Arc Warden Person of Interest Visual Appeal

Re: Humans, or Yautja?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Bromander Shepard on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:20 am

Hi KumoriRyuu, I don't think you and I have ever rp'd before and I look forward to the opportunity to change that :] It's really cool you let the other writers all discuss whether or not we'll be playing as human or Yautja, it really gives us all a chance to help shape the world you're crafting here. As far as my two cents on the matter I think humans are the way to go. It will give us all the chance to make unique and exciting characters with distinct backgrounds and personalities. I fear that portraying predators will lead everyone to set themselves up as the super badass we all know and love from the movies and make for a very stale story telling experience. Just my thoughts on the matter.
I should go.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Bromander Shepard
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 1:21 pm

I completely understand where you're coming from Bromander. I made an RP like this before and it very quickly grew sour because of everyone wanting to have the best equipment right off the bat and trying to make their Yautja as fearsome as possible. So I can definitely understand why you'd prefer to go the human route.

Your two cents have been taken into account, and I now simply await word from other potential players as to what they think.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Friendly Beginnings Tipworthy Beta Tester World Builder Lifegiver Arc Warden Person of Interest Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seveneleven on Thu Mar 14, 2013 2:46 pm

Yeah Bromander has made an excellent point. People would like to already be at the top of their game, without doing all of those necessary steps to get there. Which is why it would seem best to be Humans. I think the way to remedy that is to play as a Young Blood. That way your still a badass Predator, but of course not as skilled therefor having a greater prone to mistakes.

I do have a question. What kind of enemies will be running into on here? Is there a chance of colonial marines from Weyland-Yutani? Or perhaps Synthetics? Also might we run into some Xenomorphs along the way also?

Seveneleven
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:26 pm

I guess I could lift the ban on Unblooded Hunters and such so that Predators can be inexperienced. It could prove an interesting move.

Anyway, as far as enemies... All that you named and much, much more will be experienced in this RP. Colonial Marines from Weyland-Yutani and their Synthetics as well will make an appearance, and so will mercenaries and other strange alien creatures throughout a few new installations which we'll be exploring. Xenomorphs will make an appearance as well, but not for a good while as I don't want to let some of the best enemies make an appearance too early. I'm going to whet your appetite first with a few others which are going to be unique to this RP. The Yautja are going to be a constant presence in the RP, and they will sometimes get in our way because they seek a similar or the same prize, sometimes they will be hunting us specifically which is going to be when the RP becomes its scariest, and sometimes they will be helping us. Yes, you heard right, helping us. That last one won't happen often, but it will happen.

The RP begins in the year 2116. Your character can come from any walk of life. Be it a civilian, scientist, engineer, military personnel, or whatever you can come up with so long as it will have some kind of practical application for interstellar operations.

Now, to give a bit of a spoiler so you know what you're getting into, here are the details surrounding our first mission together if we all agree to play as humans. As to how such a diversified group comes together, let's just say that all of the individuals involved have special talents or specialities in their field which will all culminate in a "research team" which the UNIC will commission for off-world projects.

Our very first assignment as a unified group is going to be investigating an outer world Colony on the planet LV-229. It's a lush world where Terraforming was kept to a remarkable minimum and was quickly colonized in the year 2107. This world is rich with strange and dangerous indigenous wildlife which is held at bay by a specialized electrified fence about twenty feet high around the Colony.

The Colony, called Aiva's Oasis, reported nearly a dozen scientists and security guards gone missing over the course of a brief three week period. Of those whose bodies were found and recovered, the colony reported that some were skinned, some were decapitated (sometimes missing the entire spine), and others had suffered damage from an as of yet unidentified firearm with a plasma based origin. As to what's causing these strange occurrences, we don't know, but we do know that his problem cannot be ignored.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 5:41 pm

If we decide we're playing as Yautja, since I have changed the rules on ranks, we're playing a different beast here.

The first thing we're going to do is arrive on LV-229 as individual Hunters, and there will be a rather potent rivalry between us to find the ultimate prey on the planet. Once the human colonists begin to encroach on our Hunting Grounds outside of their Colony, that's when shit hits the fan and we decide to send a unified message to the humans. They will respond, as humans typically do, with further violence which will force our individual Hunters to band together to survive the human's retaliation. Once we have finished our business on LV-229, our individual Hunters will find their way into a single pack and will then scour the universe for the most dangerous game, inevitably pitting them against the ultimate prey, the Xenomorphs. When they do encounter the Xenomorphs, they will encounter new breeds of the Aliens which will push the Yautja technology to the limit and also push their skills as Hunters beyond the breaking point. You can expect your pride to take a serious fall more than once throughout the course of the RP if we play as Yautja, so be ready for that.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seveneleven on Thu Mar 14, 2013 6:03 pm

Oh so we have to be from different clans? Also since the Yautja are different individuals, how would that impact me playing a Young Blood if I have to rival someone of an Elite level?

Edit: Also both stories sound really cool. Makes the decision tougher whether to be Yautja or Human.

Seveneleven
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:14 pm

I changed the rules on the Yautja ranks so that all of them start out as Young Bloods and they will progress through ranks as the RP goes forward. Also, they can be from different Clans, but they don't have to be. If you want your Yautja to be from the same clan as the one I created, then by all means go for it.

There is another change in the two stories depending on whether we choose humans or Yautja.

If we choose humans, the RP will take place over the span of about 126 years. Several decades of those will be spent in cryo sleep as we head across the galaxy to places where we're sent to either investigate or eliminate threats.

As Yautja, it's going to be more like 500+ years of storyline to go through, most of which will be similar in terms of time skips of a few decades at a time in which some of the characters will have earned new ranks depending on the prey they killed and trophies acquired, perhaps their actions will permit them a promotion in the ranks, the list goes on.

Regardless of whether we play as humans or Yautja, we have a LONG story to go through and this RP is meant to last. I will do my best to keep the creativity flowing and the scenery different for each mission, but I may need help to do that. If you guys have ideas and input regarding where we could take the story next after a specific mission, or have an idea about a new mission entirely, then send them my way and we'll discuss it. This RP is meant to be interactive, so your ideas count and your opinions matter a great deal. I know what I want from this RP and I know how to bring the goods, but I'm still only one person and my creativity is different from yours and is limited. I need all the help I can get.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Seveneleven on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:53 pm

I'll play as the Yautja, but that's my preference. Otherwise I will be fine to play as a Human, if everyone is more intent on playing them.

Seveneleven
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:19 pm

Well I need at least four people to get started, so one more person will be the tie breaker since I'm for either one. Right now Seveneleven likes the Yautja, and Bromander likes the humans. If I can find one more person to join and voice an opinion, then whichever they choose is the one we'll go with. I'll bump the players wanted ad and try a few of the players in a couple of my other Role Plays to see if I can't find that last person.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Wolflover2217 on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:42 am

hmm this sounds great! Could i please reserve a Yautja? I have a question...
Do the preadators have to be from the movie? Like, could they be a dragon or something like that?
Lonewolf who sings alone at night,
You have no need to cower in fright,
For there lies a place that takes in all,
No matter how big, no matter how small,
Join out pack, we love and care for all.
~Celeste the lone wolf~

Wolflover2217
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby KumoriRyuu on Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:48 am

... An interesting question to be sure.

Anyway, you cannot reserve a Yautja as we have not yet confirmed that it is indeed the Yautja we will be portraying. We have one who would like us to portray the Yautja, and one who would like us to portray humans. I am on the fence as I could go either way. If you would like us to portray Yautja as well, then just say so and then we will make it so and everyone will submit a Yautja profile.

There are no dragons in this RP, Wolflover. This RP is based in reality, and the only fantasy it uses is the Predator and Aliens franchises respectively as a jumping off point to draw its story and characters. Other than that single detail, there are no elves, dragons, dwarves or anything else of that nature which will make an appearance in this RP.

KumoriRyuu
Member for 14 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!