Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

My Let's Play and request for others

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

My Let's Play and request for others

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sat Jan 23, 2010 12:53 pm

I've recentely started a Let's Play series on YouTube and would like to share it with Gateway as well as see if any of my friends here are doing the same.

Link removed.

What is a Let's Play? It's fairly simple. Record a video game while you're playing it and record a running commentary. I started this as a challenge from a friend of mine and I've been having a lot of fun so far. Right now I'm working on the game Parasite Eve.

If anyone has any LPs going or archived, post them here! If anyone would like to learn how to do a Let's Play, let me know and I will walk you through all the steps you need to start playing, start recording, and get your videos on the 'Net!

Thanks.
Last edited by Jag on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Re: My Let's Play and request for others

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Sat Jan 23, 2010 1:56 pm

I would love to do a few LP's myself. I've seen quite a number of them and I had a couple of ideas in mind.

Destiny of an Emperor for the NES, for one, simply because nobody's ever done it

And then the classical ones which nearly EVERYBODY has done. >XD Mario, Zelda, Sonic, plus a few games I've heard of and never played and would willingly do blind-runs of (Terranigma, Actraiser, among others)

Thing is though my seven year old dinosaur of a computer cant run the software and I'm not sure if my mother's laptop could either. I mean, I'm sure it could it's just it might a little awkward trying to do something like that.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Drake Nightwing
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sat Jan 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Whilst I didn't directly do LPs, I did play throughs of a numerous number of games which used to be hosted on Gamespot, however my series was pulled after a certain dispute with an admin who yoinked my account.

Due to a format, I lack the files to reupload them, however I am willing to do it again if I get suggestions.

@OP: What software will you be using or are using currently to record, curiously - I do believe the stuff I used to use to do screencaptures and voice record are outdated and I can't find anything adjustable enough.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:23 pm

@ Drake Nightwing: I know how you feel about the games that are completely overdone. Final Fantasy VII is probably the worst in terms of beating a dead horse. The only one that I give a pass to on that is HCBailly because he's running through the entire franchise as well as several other Square/Squaresoft/Square-Enix games. He is planning to play Terranigma as his next side LP, so you might want to check that out.

@ Alvaron: Currently I'm using a ePSXe playstation emulator (I do have legal copies of the games) and CamStudio as my screen recording software. CamStudio is probably the best free program out there, but you need a decent amount of RAM and processing power to run it and the emulator without a lot of problems. I have a mini-tutorial on my CamStudio setup on my YouTube channel, but I'd be happy to go more in depth if you or anyone else wants to know how my routine runs.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:02 pm

Mhm, checked on CamStudio, is there any way to set it up to record both the mic and game sound without the issue of basically playing your speakers into your mic?

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sat Jan 23, 2010 9:41 pm

In CamStudio? No. I am lending serious consideration to implementing the method I'm about to describe, however.

Find a audio recording program, either the one that comes automatically with Windows or a more powerful and versatile progam like Audacity. Using that, run it to record just from your microphone while CamStudio is set to "Record from Speaker" rather than "Record from Microphone." Doing so will allow CamStudio to record only the audio that would be output from your speakers, but you can turn your speakers off. Audacity will record a clean voice track which you can then insert using Windows Movie Maker (which you should use anyway to compress your videos to much smaller sizes without losing quality).

The only issue with this is the fact that, essentially, you won't be able to hear the audio from your game. I suppose that you could get a pair of headphones or something along those lines that would allow you to hear the audio from the game without interfering with your Audacity voice track, which is probably what I'll do just so that I'll have the musical cues from my games to spur on the commentary as well as reminded me when to shut up.

I'll probably try that set up when I record the next episode tonight.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:22 pm

Yep that idea works, I just tested it, with a decent pair of headphones you can effectively do what you described.

Edit: Alright, I've also got myself my old external hard-drive with all my ROMs/ISOs on for SNES/PS1/Gameboy/NEOGEO, so I'm available for requests for games, if I don't get any requests I'll probably mill through some of the shorter games as test runs.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:50 pm

I feel like I would have been better served to play through a shorter game that I knew well rather than jumping into a long game relatively blind, but I've been more than pleased with the quality so far.

I'm glad that the audio setup worked for you, I'm excited to try it for myself.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sun Jan 24, 2010 12:19 am

So now it's my turn to ask you for a little bit of help. For some reason, I can't get CamStudio to do anything other than record the audio from my mic. I don't know what I've done, but I am unable to get the setting where it will only record the audio that would be output to the speakers, AKA the game audio. I had to rerecord my episode 4 TIMES just now and I went back to my old method until I can get the new setup working correctly.

Any ideas?

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:14 am

I guess you're getting the WaveOutGetSelectControl() Error, funny thing is I wasn't getting it last night - however now I am. I did a bit of digging and well, there doesn't seem to be a fix for this. I'm gonna look into Hypercam or something and see if I can use that instead.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:12 pm

I know that Hypercam isn't a free program, but many people seem to have found a way around that problem. I'm going to contact some people in the know and see if I can't find a solution ot the WaveControl error because I'm very comfortable with CamStudio and I wasn't crazy about the Hypercam (paid) version that I used on a friend's computer a while back.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyxeth on Sun Jan 24, 2010 2:31 pm

Mhm, I managed to get myself a watermark free version of Hypercam, tested about with it, I just find it to unwieldy to use. I may have found an XP workaround for the Camstudio issue, will find a video to explain it later if it works.

Nyxeth
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:15 pm

I once found the Game Boy Advance cartridge for a game called Sigma Star Saga in the bargain bin at Target or something like that, so I'm not sure how many digital copies of this game are floating around out there. Anyway, a well-done LP of this game, which would probably take 4-5 hours of gameplay if you know where to look for the Gun Data you want and skip over the unnecessary stuff, would be amazing. (Depending on what your favorite types of Gun Data are, your results may vary. The figure I give is merely a guesstimate of my average with a Triple Cannon, Max Power Shot, and Pass-Through combination, though I did hit the last save point with only 3h56m elapsed once.)

Storyline in a nutshell: Ace pilot is sent into battle against an alien invasion and all his wingmen are shot down in the fight. Commander gives you a new mission whereby you infiltrate the ranks of the Krill armada and gather intelligence on a supposed super-weapon. After waking up from a drug-induced coma, you're on their star base, turned into a soldier, and are forced to run around 6 different planets while being in the middle of a love triangle and an engaging storyline with lots of twists and turns, culminating in a showdown with the Krill Overlord.

This game alternates between world exploration with appropriate item use in the tradition of games such as Legend of Zelda (with the big exception that you will find yourself revisiting worlds once you have the right piece of tech to get to previously inaccessible areas) and challenging Gradius-style action levels and boss fights. Sadly, the storyline is almost entirely linear, with the one and only decision point being during the prelude to the final boss run that's basically a flashback to the introduction boss, with another decision opening up only during a "New Game Plus."

It's a fun game if you can manage to maintain willing suspension of disbelief, but given that this is an LP, feel free to say the things that you think will come up in the average gamer's mind that they wouldn't normally say out loud. A few suggestions:

"That's a pretty neat outfit she's almost wearing." (said in response to meeting Psyme and most of the other female characters in the game)

"Why the hell did I get an airplane and not one of these mechs?" (said during the Chapter 3 boss fight)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Tue Jan 26, 2010 12:02 am

It sounds like the kind of game that would catch my interest. I'm really enjoying Parasite Eve (just uploaded episode 7, by the way) because it's a game that I never played up to this point. At the moment I'm just trying to get my technique down and see how things work. I'm hoping to pick up a fair number more of subscribers as I continue to advertise shamlessly and beg anyone with a YouTube account to subscribe or even take ten seconds to make an account.

I've been approached by a couple of people to do some co-LPs and I'd like to continue trying new games to test in the future, but at the moment I'm trying not to spend too much time doing this when life is calling.

Jag
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!