Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Looking for help (forum-rping, FCs, finding a roleplay)

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

Looking for help (forum-rping, FCs, finding a roleplay)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JetBlack on Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:46 am

Hello! Newb looking for help here.

I've written with people before, but never in an online forum style (more than one-on-one writing). What kind of rules/etiquette are expected in forums, where you're dealing with more than one other person? And how can I ease myself into this setting without stepping on people's toes or undermining someone's hard work?

Also, I've looked at a few roleplays on here, though I only just came to the RPG. I've noticed "FCs", or animated gifs of actors in some character listings; what does FC stand for, what are their functions/why are they needed, and how common are they in the forums?

And finally, how do you find a roleplay that suits your needs? Is there a way to search multiple tags at once to find a thread or forum right for you?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

JetBlack
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Looking for help (forum-rping, FCs, finding a roleplay)

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:54 pm

FC stands for Face Claim, and what I believe they are is a picture of an actor or other famous person that superficially resembles a certain character. While it certainly is less of a challenge to find a picture of your favorite actor than one that more closely resembles your character, I maintain that words should be used to properly describe your character--or better yet, you should draw them yourself! And if you don't have the talent for drawing, remember, drawing isn't so much a talent as it is a skill.

Forum roleplaying etiquette varies from forum to forum, but the basics really aren't much different from the "rules" for chat roleplaying: You can't post again until everyone else has had a turn to post, for example. This rule is often relaxed in situations where the group is split up. To take a classic example, say Freddy and Daphne go one way and Shaggy, Scooby and Velma go the other. Freddy and Daphne would take turns posting while they're in their section of the spooky mansion in a one-on-one fashion, while Shaggy, Velma and Scooby would take turns posting while investigating the other parts. When the gang gets back together, turn order is re-established between the five based on who's found what. It's just a different medium; indeed, forum roleplaying is preferred if getting together in the same chat room at the same time proves difficult. Maybe you have a large group, or one or more of your players is in a different time zone or has a previous commitment such as a job.

As for stepping on people's toes, that can easily be avoided by staying in touch with the other players and making sure something's within the boundaries BEFORE you do it. In the eventuality that a fight breaks out, there's a simple, intuitive method of resolution: People take turns launching attacks at each other, and attacks only find their target when the targeted character doesn't see a way to avoid the damage. It's worth noting that you never say "I hit" unless the targeted player or an agreed-upon mediator says you can. This is simply common courtesy.

As for searching for multiple tags, what I usually do is I enter one tag based on fandom or genre (Pokemon for fandom, or fantasy for genre, for example) and then see what turns up that fits my other tastes. And if something looks good save for some minor details, it's probably worth trying out. (Do the community a favor, though...PLEASE don't make a roleplay about a school or the shenanigans therein. There's several dozen of those bouncing around already, go join one of those.)

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby JetBlack on Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:48 am

Thank you very much QB, you've helped me quite a lot! I'm glad I was able to get my questions answered in one go. Don't worry, high school stories are boring as dirt for me most days so starting one is HIGHLY unlikely. I appreciate the heads-up though.

JetBlack
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Marionette on Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:57 am

Well, in terms of etiquette, a lot of things vary from player to player and group to group. There really aren't a lot of hard and fast standards. For example, I actually never have a "can't post again until everyone else has posted" expectation in my games, and I haven't played a whole lot of other people's games that did either... but some do! Because of that, the most important thing is to read an RP's rules. If they're written well, they should give you a basic understanding of the RP's expectations.

There are a few other things you can extend beyond the scope of one game, though -- basics, really. Let the group know if you can't post for an extended period of time or if you have to withdraw your character. Don't metagame (use out-of-character information in-character). Don't control another player's character without permission from the player. Don't godmode (which can be lots of things and vary slightly in its definition, as discussed in this thread, but my basic definition is "acting in a way that makes your character not subject to rules and logic that should apply to everyone in order to get an unfair advantage"). Those are the most universal things I can think of.

In terms of searching, I usually change the post order to newest and browse the most recently-added games to see if anything catches my eye; if I'm using tags, I find setting the post order to newest or activity is even more important. Nothing is less fun than finding an RP you think would be just perfect and realizing it never got off the ground and hasn't been touched in half a year. xD You can also filter out tags you don't like. If there's anything you're looking to avoid, go to the roleplay tab. Click on the link to manage your filters and sort method. Type what you want to ignore in the ignore box, and you won't see those games. There's also a highlight box where you can put tags you're especially interested in, and it'll highlight those games for you.

(As an aside, every time I see someone on this site complain about high school RPs, I get the urge to go make one. :P)
RPs:
Spring Rain and Havoc | Witch's Diary | Winter Rose

Need RP advice? Feel free to PM me.

Marionette
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Visual Appeal

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!