Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

New and needs guidance

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

New and needs guidance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pangurban on Sun Dec 26, 2010 1:03 am

Help please! I'm new and read several how to's here but it's all so confusing!

My name is Katie and I would like to get my imagination fix soon.
I think I've started a role-play but then I became severely confused.

How do I get started? Where do I post my role-play replies?
I'm overwhelmed with this confusing set-up and I need a patient person to give me a simple round-about of this website!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

pangurban
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Re: New and needs guidance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Saken on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:01 pm

Hi, My name is Saken and I would be Glad to help you out! I know that it can be confusing, especially when you are new but, give me a few minutes (or an hour) to write up a simple 'guide' for you in my next post, and you will be helped. And, if that does not work, feel free to either PM me, or find me in the chat.

Guide Will be posted after this one in a few.
Join in on my Mentoring Rp!
It's a chance to everyone to improve their skills.
Targeted at Newbies, but for everyone!
roleplay/mentoring-classification-zombies#introduction

I see you...

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Saken
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Party Starter Friendly Beginnings Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Tipworthy Person of Interest

Re: New and needs guidance

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:06 pm

The part about getting started is easy: You pick something you want to play, hopefully with a fairly thorough knowledge of how the setting works, and hope someone jumps on it. At least, that's how some beginners think. In reality, it's more like fishing than most care to admit. The conditions have to be right, and you have to use the right bait to attract the sorts of fish that you want. The RPG Design forum can give you more ideas on how to pitch an idea, how to keep players under control, and what people like and dislike running across.

Once you have a decent group going, where you post your replies is up to the rules established by the game master. It can be in the thread (hence the term "play by post"), or it can be in the more sophisticated tab system, which can be replied to either in the tab or through its own chat room.

As for getting started as a player, it's vitally important that you pick a roleplay first and make a character that conforms to it instead of the other way around. It's okay to have favorite genres and storytelling styles, but it's good to try something new every so often as well.

Hopefully these tips helped you with what you wanted to know. Best of luck out there!

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!