Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

New to roleplaying!!! HELP!

a topic in The Academy, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Scholars

Wanting to improve your writing? The Scholars are here to help! Find guides, tutorials, and even 1-on-1 mentoring threads here!

New to roleplaying!!! HELP!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby cherryberry1401 on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:15 am

I'm totally new to roleplaying.. And I'm still trying to get used to this site. I need help with how to create a character, how to find a roleplay and also I have a question: How do you roleplay in a roleplay that has already started?!?!?!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

cherryberry1401
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Lifegiver

Re: New to roleplaying!!! HELP!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Let me be the first to say that the whole process is a bit more involved than it normally is on a site. Think of it as a challenge to be overcome, if that helps you at all.

First, joining a roleplay and creating a character technically go hand-in-hand. As in, you find a roleplay, you create a character for the roleplay, and then you submit the character for GM review, if the GM has that option turned on.

To find a roleplay, it really depends on whether you favor forum or chat. For forum, it's as easy as going to Interest Checks/Roleplayers Wanted (both sub-forums of Out of Character), finding an idea that suits your tastes and talents, and keeping a line of communication open with the game master so you can submit your character in a timely manner when the OOC goes up. For chat, it's somewhat more complicated, but it's all logical.

• Click the Roleplay tab at the top of the screen to browse a list of created roleplays, or look through Roleplayers Wanted, as those threads already have a working link to the RP's respective location. Sometimes you can find something interesting through the "Newest Roleplays" list at the top of the page. If the RP is to your tastes and the GM has an open slot or has agreed to let you in, you can proceed to character submission.

• In the Characters tab of the desired roleplay, click the Create a Character button.
    • Create a character, using either the provided character sheet or some other form you favor. All that's required is a name that is not shared with any other character in that roleplay. Note that the name is the only thing that is set in stone on submission, so make sure you get it right!
    • Click the Submit button at the bottom, confirm your submission, and you should get an automatically generated private message confirming your submission and containing a link to your character sheet.

You'll need to check back with the Game Master yourself to know if you have been accepted. If the game does not require GM approval as noted on the top-right corner, you're immediately good to go!

As for your last question, joining an RP in progress is admittedly a tricky business. You'd have to read the story so far and get insight from the existing players about the situation so far and what sort of character would fit the world and their current needs, all of this requiring a fair amount of legwork on your part. Once you're up to speed and the GM thinks you can handle it, you can proceed to submit a character as before. Be ready to hit the ground running.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby WhiteTiger08 on Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:21 pm

Roleplaying is easy and comes naturally after you have done it before.
"Of all forms of caution, caution in love is perhaps the most fatal to true happiness."

WhiteTiger08
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Broken Picture on Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:43 pm

I didn't understand it until the third one i did, that was awhile ago, but it was definitively worth figuring out. (:

Broken Picture
Member for 12 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Expectations on Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 pm

A good tip to maintaining good form is maintaining perfect grammar and spelling at all times, aside from when a given character's speech has a thick accent or a character is actively texting or typing In Context. It gives both players and Game Masters much more patience for any other small errors you might make.
I am who I am. That's all there really is to say on the matter.

Expectations
Member for 12 years
Author Lifegiver

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!