Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

I’m new...

a topic in Welcome Desk: Introductions & Arrivals, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

First time on RPG? Make sure to introduce yourself here! Tell us what you're into, what you're looking for, and how you found us!

I’m new...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lilianna on Mon May 25, 2020 10:47 am

This is me, introducing myself!

I have been role playing via gaming and transmedia experiences for several years, and since I’m between projects right now, I am itching to find more role play to dive into.

Any advice or suggestions on how to get started here would be welcome. So far it is a bit overwhelming!
"Life seems but a quick succession of busy nothings." -Jane Austen

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Lilianna
Member for 4 years
Friendly Beginnings Visual Appeal Lifegiver

Re: I’m new...

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Mon May 25, 2020 10:56 am

Welcome to RPG! Pardon my rather generic response, but I have so much information that I find it best to copy-pasta. Anyway, I was in the same boat - RPing via videogaming for a few years. SWTOR and ESO primarily.

Anyway, here is my generic copy-paste information plug!

First and foremost, RPG has a chat app that just launched. You can actually download it to your mobile device, so that's pretty cool! Pop in and say hello.

We have a few different ways to roleplay here! We have our persistent RP world The Multiverse. It has an expansive list of worlds to adventure in, and you can take any of your characters anywhere and delve into whatever plots are ongoing. This place has web of many Universes so that you don't feel you only have to go to one place or end your character's story.

Then we have our Universes, and these are our niche and individual Universes. What makes them different from the Multiverse is that they typically have a smaller cast of characters, require GM approval, and a storyline that is much smaller. You can find the newest ones at the top! Some are private or 1x1, so don't apply to those. However, there are plenty of open ones, and if you are not sure if someone is accepting - just send the GM a PM.

If you don't know where to start and you just kind of want to play around until you figure something out, you can find a list of Starter Locations here. Also, Ambassadors on the site are dedicated to helping new members navigate the Multiverse, among other things.

I also encourage you to stretch out your creative fingers and participate in Freaky Freewrite Friday, of which update every Friday, and then Weekly Sunday Prompts. I update both of these weekly, and one is a brain dump and another is character exploration.
M•O•M•B•I•E
Kids. Roleplay. School. Work.

Stay away from negative people,
they have a problem for every solution.
--Albert Einstein

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
If it doesn't open,
it is not your door.

♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥
ImageImage

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lilianna on Mon May 25, 2020 4:20 pm

Thank you! My RP experience has been a lot of D&D. And a five year online role play done mostly via tweets... I honestly don't even know what to call it. Which brings me to my question... On Twitter we had 160 characters to express ourselves. I've poked around on here a bit and people write a looooot more! Which is great, but certainly not what I am used to. I like very dialogue driven interaction, and to keep my character's cards close to my chest, so to speak. I don't usually give a lot of my character's thoughts or personal story up front. Will that be welcome here? If I respond with a sentence of dialogue, and maybe a facial expression, will that be frowned upon? I've been looking for a site like this and have literally seen some that say "no less than two paragraphs must be written per post." And I get that, but I feel like stories can be told with so much less. I actually like it that way. I want the suspense to build, and I want people to question why my character is behaving a certain way until it comes out through an event or discussion. I guess I'm a dialogue driven storyteller, and before I go through creating a character and whatnot, I'm wondering if that's ok?

Lilianna
Member for 4 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mombie on Mon May 25, 2020 5:00 pm

Hello again!

How you roleplay is how you roleplay, and there is no right or wrong way to do it. GMs have specific guidelines that adhere to their ideal way of RPing, and that's just how the cookie crumbles. It can suck sometimes but know that you are definitely not alone in the department of the sometimes restrictive word limits.

At the same time, if you feel like nothing fits you so far, you are very welcome to create your own. I'm sure that others will follow if you. For the moment, it seems that most of the Universes (Multiverse excluded) prefer more writing. This is true. I believe it is only because there is really only a handful of us outside of the Multiverse.

You can forge your own Universe, however, and invite others with your similar interests and writing style to join you. I don't doubt that you will be well-received and garner interest. What I have noticed in regards to some Universes that do have more of a one-lined writing theme, is that they simply don't have the visual appeal on the home page that people will be attracted to. They also don't offer up even a lick of plot information or what they want (even loose guidelines are helpful!) It's a brutally honest statement, but one must know their audience! If you need help with visual appeal, please message any universe creator and I am sure someone will assist you.

There is also the problem of certain genre's being more sought after on RPG, and sometimes the style that we are looking for needs to be advertised and championed for. It can be like the Wild West in RP sometimes! That's just anywhere one RPs, really.

TLDR: Build your own adventure, visual appeal, offer more information about your setting/story (but not everything - just a taste to whet the appetite), poke around and check for interest, etc.

You can also dive into the Multiverse! I'm not well-versed on Multiverse stuff as my focus is individual Universes, but if you PM an AMBASSADOR, they will get you started! I'm POSITIVE that there is a place for you in the Multiverse, and they are always looking for more people to join. Always.

mombie
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal Tipworthy Greeter Novelist Inspiration Concierge World Builder Builder Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Lilianna on Mon May 25, 2020 5:15 pm

Wonderful! Thank you for your responses! I’m excited to poke around and see what I can get into!

Lilianna
Member for 4 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!