Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty

OOC General Discussion Area

a part of “Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty”, a fictional universe by VindicatedPurpose.

Nebula's Dawn Series Part II: The Arcturus System is the very fringe of colonized space, here rests many mysteries to be discovered, alongside many conflicts to be fought. [Paused]

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: OOC General Discussion Area

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mlijn12 on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:05 pm

Hey y'all. I'm going to be gone for a week or so. Just wanted to let you all know....um...so i guess Pure can run the vigilance till i get back.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

mlijn12
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Sun Jan 13, 2013 3:16 pm

Might have trouble posting during the 16th-18th because i will be away, I might find a PC but time could be harder to come by during this time period.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sun Jan 13, 2013 9:09 pm

Understood guys.

Anyway, just a note to everyone, the pad is available for anyone to use. The purpose is to smoothly integrate an interaction scene between characters of more than one writer. That way the call and the response between two characters aren't separated entirely a block of other posts. This is what I would call post-conservation, whatever that is.

Say two writers are interacting with two characters. Now, normally one writer would issue a call, i.e. a question. Then the second would issue a response, i.e. an answer to the question, and perhaps issue one of their own. Questions will undoubtedly further a conversation if used right, that is a guarantee. The first writer would then respond to that with an answer, and perhaps let the other writer ask another question. All in all, this conversation would last over the course of at least 4 posts. Whereas if they jointly cooperated to write it out in the Pad, they could shorten it to a single post.

Now, perhaps my numbers are wrong, but the argument still stands that it's a bit smoother flowing when it's collaborative, than when a conversation is chopped apart over a series of posts. We'll be lucky if no one interrupts that flow, but you can bet on your life that that possibility will always be there.

So I repeat, the Pad is a resource, use it wisely.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:16 pm

Uh, would K-9 (I refuse to call him anything other then that) be detected by our internal sensors, or are they too damaged in the area they are in? I think the Power Source itself though would be detected itself though, or are those sensors down too still?

Also, considering the importance of the Salient, would a Convict work team be allowed to help (basically, Prisoners brought here to work for their freedom). All they would really do is carry supplies around and such. But, its a Federation Vessel, so I was not sure if they could ever be allowed to help or not.
POWER TO THE ROLE PLAYERS: Pet Project: Verseship

I am 33% evil, 33% insane, 33% role player, and 1% other (Note: Insane and Brilliant are the same thing!)
My test:
My Brothers Test: [CENTER]Image

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Mon Jan 14, 2013 3:29 am

It depends if the Salient's construction bothered to put sensors in secondary storage areas.

Since there is no Datatraffic from Iru the only way sensors would detect him would be by ether by his energy generation or by contact (meaning he connects to a terminal or a surface sensor detects his movement)

Its fully possible for the Salient's sensors to detect him but considering how little his construction and energy use compared to more pressing matters on the Salient it could take time and someone looking out for irregularities (could be ether one of the AI's himself or an automatic program)

If Iru connects to a terminal he would be detected one way or another.

PS: He isn't K9, his back story is that he was originally a collectors robot in the K9 image.

The hacker Little Tinker upgraded him from a simple robot to an AI however the systems are still struggling to come to terms with this change. He also does not look exactly like K9 in terms of color (darker), size (larger) and equipment.

My main inspiration for Iru is actually HK47 and T3M4 along with other sources such as Zen in Blake 7, K9 as a personality is not a major contributor.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:57 am

Well, I am still going to call him K-9. (Other then the fact it's easier, huge Doctor Who fan :3)

Max however, is going to probably call him various dog related names, like Boy, Doggie, and Pal.

Hmmm. K-9 could access the computers to get a map to help Hyena. She would then probably go to report K-9 (unless she plans to keep him secret, but either Max or ADAM, unless we have decided to just have ADAM stolen and it's past theft, would have detected the Terminal access).

She could go to the Admiral directly, or Max coud alert him and he would/could call her up, depending if Vind has him do this, though I would imagine he would, considering the fact this is the second unexplained AI appearance on the Salient (copycat!!!).

And, in the process, Hyena could discover Max, either when she is with Weston (if she goes to him), or maybe from K-9 when he accesses a terminal (if he does) to download the map.

And we can see what happens from there.

On a side note, no one has adopted ADAM. I still think we should have the Insurgency steal him. And if we let the convict team be allowed to help (under supervision), that would allow an interesting twist, those two details together.

Also, is the Salient actually docked yet? Can people leave the ship (alive) or not?

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Mon Jan 14, 2013 12:31 pm

Actually Squishy it might be funny if Iru is named by Max K9, That could trigger an interesting little argument between the two of them.

I hope I am playing him decently, the hell joke Iru made by the way is program built... yes he has a humor program or two... do they always work? err well Maybe.

The word sheep was intended, his data files are not perfect!

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Mon Jan 14, 2013 1:16 pm

I like that idea. xD.

Now we definently need to get them to meet ASAP.

You know, what's funny is this fits perfectly into Weston's view on the crew. They didn't just let one, but TWO AIs get loaded onto the Salient. And most of them don't even know it.

Side note: Didn't Clyde detect Max in Part 1? If so, Clyde has at least partial knowledge about Max. Unless he forgot. :3

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Mon Jan 14, 2013 5:02 pm

Mr. Baneling Squishy wrote:Also, considering the importance of the Salient, would a Convict work team be allowed to help (basically, Prisoners brought here to work for their freedom). All they would really do is carry supplies around and such. But, its a Federation Vessel, so I was not sure if they could ever be allowed to help or not.

Definitely not. Convicts are not allowed aboard Federal vessels under any reason. They're better off picking up trash on the side of highways.

Mr. Baneling Squishy wrote:Hmmm. K-9 could access the computers to get a map to help Hyena. She would then probably go to report K-9 (unless she plans to keep him secret, but either Max or ADAM, unless we have decided to just have ADAM stolen and it's past theft, would have detected the Terminal access).

She could go to the Admiral directly, or Max coud alert him and he would/could call her up, depending if Vind has him do this, though I would imagine he would, considering the fact this is the second unexplained AI appearance on the Salient (copycat!!!).

And, in the process, Hyena could discover Max, either when she is with Weston (if she goes to him), or maybe from K-9 when he accesses a terminal (if he does) to download the map.

There will be a meeting among senior members of the crew, the purpose of which will involve Max and T.A.U., and the ongoing situation on New Sidney. As to whether or not K-9 remains a secret, that will...depend on Dust and the Colonel.

Mr. Baneling Squishy wrote:On a side note, no one has adopted ADAM. I still think we should have the Insurgency steal him. And if we let the convict team be allowed to help (under supervision), that would allow an interesting twist, those two details together.

Also, is the Salient actually docked yet? Can people leave the ship (alive) or not?

We're just waiting if someone wants to adopt him, if not, either Uncertainly or I will take him as a last resort. Since convicts will not be anywhere near the ship, I don't think that would be possible. The Salient is indeed docked, though the ship's size keeps it a little farther from the station, so only select parts would be connected via corridors. The other parts would have to get on a shuttle and enter the station that way.

Mr. Baneling Squishy wrote:You know, what's funny is this fits perfectly into Weston's view on the crew. They didn't just let one, but TWO AIs get loaded onto the Salient. And most of them don't even know it.

Side note: Didn't Clyde detect Max in Part 1? If so, Clyde has at least partial knowledge about Max. Unless he forgot. :3

Clyde did detect him, and I'm definitely sure that he remembered the A.I., he even suggested to be a host for him. I'm sure he wouldn't have forgotten such a detail so quickly with his brain implant.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:03 pm

VindicatedPurpose wrote:Understood guys.

Anyway, just a note to everyone, the pad is available for anyone to use. The purpose is to smoothly integrate an interaction scene between characters of more than one writer. That way the call and the response between two characters aren't separated entirely a block of other posts. This is what I would call post-conservation, whatever that is.

Say two writers are interacting with two characters. Now, normally one writer would issue a call, i.e. a question. Then the second would issue a response, i.e. an answer to the question, and perhaps issue one of their own. Questions will undoubtedly further a conversation if used right, that is a guarantee. The first writer would then respond to that with an answer, and perhaps let the other writer ask another question. All in all, this conversation would last over the course of at least 4 posts. Whereas if they jointly cooperated to write it out in the Pad, they could shorten it to a single post.

Now, perhaps my numbers are wrong, but the argument still stands that it's a bit smoother flowing when it's collaborative, than when a conversation is chopped apart over a series of posts. We'll be lucky if no one interrupts that flow, but you can bet on your life that that possibility will always be there.

So I repeat, the Pad is a resource, use it wisely.

Sorry, but where is this Pad at?

Nyte
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Mon Jan 14, 2013 7:07 pm

I'm glad you asked. Everybody, open your notebooks, and take some notes. On the front page, scroll down to the section that I've carefully labeled "Links" and you'll find it there. It will be number 8, labeled "Nebula's Dawn Write Pad"

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Tue Jan 15, 2013 7:48 pm

Bleurgh. My issue with the pad was always just that, sure it makes for longer posts, but it means no one else can jump in on the conversation. I was hoping one of the AI's would go 'wtf security cameras' since it seems like they don't get much use, despite being one of the primary reasons the Salient is able to operate like it does.

But yeah. Point noted.

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:54 pm

I will post Courtney whole exchange with Alice hopefully later today. Sorry getting kinda behind just embroiled deeply in MV plots.
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Jan 16, 2013 5:14 pm

@ Rulke, understood, whenever you can.

@ Dust Well, I think the whole jumping in part, could be planned. Otherwise, if people just started writing on their own tangent, it would no doubt rip an RP. If you wanted an A.I. to jump in, p.m. one of the writers, or use A.D.A.M., since at present moment he's in NPC mode.

Anyway, Endgame, I want to do a collaborative post with you, on the events Two Months Prior, involving Commander Montgomery, Admiral Fontaine, and our new character Isaac Dmitri played by our new member, Sibrand. As well as TurtleSoup, involving Lionel, and Cantor Nadd. That's all I've got on my doing list thus far.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sibrand on Wed Jan 16, 2013 6:56 pm

Good evening to you fine gentlemen and women of this thread. I've spent some time shooting PM's forth and back with Vin and some with Uncertainly and I've finally submitted my character sheet. =)

So, I just wanted to drop in and say hi... Hi! =P

Now I'm off to find the link for the Write Pad.

Sibrand
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Jan 16, 2013 7:43 pm

I decided to change the location from where the virus originated from New Sidney to somewhere more ambiguous due to events happening in the story. I hope that's okay.

Nyte
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:46 pm

I'm done with my character now.

Nyte
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:07 am

Sorry for not posting. Currently working on 2 school projects, and 2 pet projects.

Vind, we will need to formulate a post soon to help move this along. But, exactly who will we need for the Meeting Post? And will we have it before or after (or during) the K-9 meet?

Also, side note, is Hyena going to spread the news about Max and/or K-9.

And actually, Max I think is the most qualified AI for talking to people. His unique creation and existence has various differences, one of them being able to understand jokes and Sarcasm (though he is not the best at detecting either), making him the easiest to talk to. So if he could be the one who directly interfaces/talks with the crew.

Also, another reason to keep him is that it would be better if the Insurgency did not know about or got a chance to get their hands on Max. He is still in his developmental stage of Anomaly Intelligences, and keeping him on the ship would likely have him develop in a way so that when his personality settles, he is an ally to the Federation.

Practical and Military reasons to keep him on the ship. :D

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Jan 17, 2013 4:54 pm

At the moment, I'm trying to wrap up some plots happening prior to day one. Then, we need to finish Courtney's interrogation in order for us to get to that part.

I understand that Max is a bit more human than most A.I.s, well actually, most AIs are Cognitive Impression constructs, which thus bear some personality of the brain from which they were derived. So various CI constructs can have personality, and be...human, sort of. Max is sort of like that, but his creation and existence are what set him apart.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Jan 17, 2013 8:42 pm

Also, just a note. The Write Pad is an official hang out area. By the way, I brought shrimp cocktail. ;)

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!