Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty

OOC General Discussion Area

a part of “Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty”, a fictional universe by VindicatedPurpose.

Nebula's Dawn Series Part II: The Arcturus System is the very fringe of colonized space, here rests many mysteries to be discovered, alongside many conflicts to be fought. [Paused]

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: OOC General Discussion Area

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:08 pm

Well the Armada is a multipurpose spaceship built for mass production, its basically a matter of Quality VS Quantity and in the Armada Quantity is what made the design a commercial success.

The Salient is (my opinion) a ship built for quality by the federation, for the federation in the federation, its not a commercial success because it was never intended for any market.

if the Federation is the only legal military power in Human space it means it has no legal competition among other factions The federation military maintains a constant monopoly over the development, production and commissioning of the vast majority of serious military spacecraft and thus it has no competition since it has no opposition other then pirates and outcasts who normally operate salvage or second hand ships.

There may be private companies which design warships for the federation... in fact its there has to be a free market of ship design or federation naval technology would risk stagnation but it is the federation which controls the design demands (firepower, speed, armor and such), means of production and the commissioning of warships into the federation military.

Look at the development of aircraft between Nazi Germany and Soviet Russia; in Nazi Germany the aircraft companies had to compete to receive a Luftwaffe contract. The Messerschmidt 109 faced many other opponents for the fighter contract and actually thanks to Willy Messerschmidt's rivalry with Milch who had a great deal of influence in the Luftwaffe the chances of the 109 being accepted where slim at best. The 109 proved itself the superior aircraft despite the odds being already stacked against it and won the Luftwaffe contract because a free market to some extent was maintained. Quality prevailed however in the last days of the third Reich the Luftwaffe focused on cheep easily produced aircraft because over the course of the war the industry came under increasing state control... especially under Speer. In soviet Russia and especially during war time Stalin was fully content with simply producing thousands upon thousands of inferior models and to simply overwhelm his outnumbered enemy. Soviet designers where constantly being arrested and deported so very little advancement was made in Soviet aircraft technology during the war itself.

So the question is does the Federation maintain a free and competitive market in its space industry? some companies are by definition state controlled... in WW1 the British had numerous aircraft companies thanks to the novelty of the industry but it also had a few state owned companies such as the Royal Aircraft Establishment. while these normally did not produce fantastic aircraft they did give the British a cheap and hastily produced design for the war effort.

Sorry for going on about this but i tend to get involved with what i write and by the way its all just my opinion and not entirely fact based. I am just interested in the process in which the federation builds its warships; is it a state effort, private effort of both?

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:09 pm

@Pure Excellence

Ah okay. Federation Command will assume that he went AWOL, and then later assume that he went missing because his relatives never saw him again.

Anyway, I accepted your character. Do you have any idea where you will be starting?
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:16 pm

As his name suggests, he is nomadic. Going from place to place, he doesn't strictly stick to one area. I will likely have him start out in New Sidney on a bounty hunt.

Nyte
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:17 pm

@ Colonel_Masters

Well Colonel, to answer your question, the Federation has a free market economy, and thus there are multitudes of private firms jostling for contracts with the Federation Armed Forces. Competition produces a better product.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:27 pm

Just to be clear, characters can have their own unique vehicle correct? I imagine that Nomad would have his own unique ship that he purchased for bounty hunting and travel.

Nyte
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Person of Interest

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:28 pm

So guys, I haven't decided on a name for the Federation MBT (Main Battle Tank), with that said...

I'm throwing a competition, with monetary rewards.

Toss up a name for this hoverish...tank.

If you win:
  • You'll get to design specs on this tank such as its armaments (based on the image) and its history.
  • $5000 Dollars Cash
  • Our sincerest admiration.
The winner will be chosen...democratically (NO, I IZ GM - Shut up you fool, you'll blow our cover)...by a majority vote of the writers.

Disclaimer: Admiration will last only a day.

EDIT: One entry per contestant.
Last edited by VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:38 pm

Pure Excellence wrote:Just to be clear, characters can have their own unique vehicle correct? I imagine that Nomad would have his own unique ship that he purchased for bounty hunting and travel.

It's on a case by case basis. I mean if it's like a civilian vehicle on the ground, like a hover car or one of these babies,

(Eyes on the car, pal.)

Then, yes. If it's like a um...decked out armored vehicle with a mounted turret, I don't see why that would be necessary.

As for space vehicles, most with armaments are usually restricted to the Federation military, but I suppose you can have like a light-gunship sized ship. Zero armaments maybe. He can carry his personal belongings like a car, weapons, and what not. People, not merchants or rich people, usually rely on transit offered by private corporations, which are kind of like airlines. They have shuttles which allow you to carry your personal belongings, and will not restrict items such as weapons as long as they are contained in the cargo holds.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:49 pm

I see. Thanks for clearing that up.

As for naming the Hover-Tank, how about... K-496 Warhammer?

Nyte
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:54 pm

ThyssenKrupp AG Type 43 "Aurelian" :P.... yes i am a romantic XD Krupp steel and Roman Metal!

EDIT or we could have Rheinmetall-Fiat AG produce the Mk5 "Axis" Tank !!! XD

but i would go for Rheinmetall "Rommel" Panzer X.X hehe

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:07 pm

hmmm how about

DAVROS INDUSTRIES "BIG BANGER"

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:15 pm

Hahahaha, Colonel, they are either Germans or Romans huh?

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:29 pm

CAT-07
CAT made lots of money making construction, destruction, and terraforming vehicles. Then they took up a contract with the Federation military.

By the way guys. There's a 07 on the tank. So if you're putting a number... make it 07.
EDIT: Oh... the owner's group... Yeah I guess a user decal makes sense. I still stand behind the seven though.

... :D
There had to be at least one joke entry.
Last edited by Uncertainly on Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:32 pm

Hover tank dealy:

Daedalus Technologies; (a division of The Altamus Corporation) Presents the AV-40F, (Assault Vehicle, Type 4, Variant "F") "Gauntlet"

EDIT

* the "7" could be a unit insignia, not a designation. *

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:39 pm

How about the K-07 Excellence?

Nyte
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:43 pm

First of all...one entry per contestant.

Second of all...vain, just vain. XD

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:50 pm

I'm not the only who's vain.

I mean, your character is considered to be the most interesting man in the world after all.

Nyte
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Ahahaha. Hey!

The "most interesting man in the world," is just a character, a persona, that he plays for Dos-Equis. Likewise, Aronimus Weston is just a character, that Jonathan Goldsmith (that's his name) "plays."

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:58 pm

I know that. I was only joking.

Nyte
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Colonel_Masters on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:00 pm

hmmm ThyssenKrupp AG Type 43 "Aurelian" then... there simply is something very Prussian looking about that thing

Colonel_Masters
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Nyte on Wed Dec 05, 2012 11:23 pm

Who has the best suit: Lord Liberty, Ace of Diamonds or Nomad?

Nyte
Member for 12 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!