Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty

OOC General Discussion Area

a part of “Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty”, a fictional universe by VindicatedPurpose.

Nebula's Dawn Series Part II: The Arcturus System is the very fringe of colonized space, here rests many mysteries to be discovered, alongside many conflicts to be fought. [Paused]

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Nebula's Dawn: Lance of Liberty”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: OOC General Discussion Area

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Sun Nov 25, 2012 2:35 am

Welp, for me..

Hyena'll be in attendance for the impromptu funeral, of course. And I assume the Admiral will have whatever briefing a little later on. I plan on shooting you a PM when we start with reasons that she actually -would- make a good choice for WC, but I'd rather they come out in RP and not just slap 'em up here. It'll make it more sensible, rather than just promoting Hyena as she seems now, which is not exactly CO material. XD

After that, roll with the punches, but Im always down for advancing other peoples' storylines. There's all sorts of shenanigans I can get into / trouble I can make. Particularly if we plan on encountering such Non-Fed characters as Mercenaries and Lord Liberty. They all look interesting as hell and I'd definately like my turn sending my pilot to go interact with them. :3

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:31 am

Il have my characters up sometime soon. Just a bunch of holiday stuff and such taking up my time....

Oh, and hi everybody!
POWER TO THE ROLE PLAYERS: Pet Project: Verseship

I am 33% evil, 33% insane, 33% role player, and 1% other (Note: Insane and Brilliant are the same thing!)
My test:
My Brothers Test: [CENTER]Image

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Sun Nov 25, 2012 8:49 pm

Good question mate. The answer is no. I only have four of the twelve planned. The fourth one that hasn't been mentioned so far, is a gas giant, so it will only be there for aesthetic purposes. As for the other eight, if we ever get to those locations...we'll be winging it. Enjoy world-building guys, it's fair game. Just know that they aren't inhabited/colonized/settled by anyone yet.
Like a stranger on a grate, or a skylark, or a taper, flying ever upward and knowing of love's satiety. Our dreams beyond the Sun and into the expanse of Night doth sound a quiet hymn.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:56 pm

But it may later.
We should make the star chart at some point.

This is the kind of organization flaw I spoke of earlier. If one goes to look for locations in Arcuturus, they're going to get a face full of mlijn's questions.
Please put things like that in the general area or (Hey, who would've guessed!?) the questions area.

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:57 am

Any idea when we're going to kick this pig? I've got the itch! :D

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mlijn12 on Mon Nov 26, 2012 12:57 pm

I got that same feeling. I can't wait to put the Valiant through her paces and get to use the great one liners of starship command. "Raise shields" "Power weapons" "Brace for impact!" Just to name a few.

mlijn12
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm

We need more people. If you're really anxious, spread the word or figure out a good way to fill the empty voids.

And that's just inside the federation ships.

Vin intended for this to be larger. Wider. More people working for different ends. The different factions.

We'll begin when we're adequately staffed. However long that takes. My hope is inside of two weeks.

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Completionist Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Rulke on Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:39 am

I'll ask around was making sure first got Angelfire on board with Alice Chen :).
We help the multi-nationals
when they cry out protect us.
The locals scream and shout a bit,
but we don’t let that affect us.
We’re here to lend a helping hand
in case they don’t elect us.
How dare they buy our products
yet still they don’t respect us.

Billy Bragg - The Marching Song Of The Covert Battalions

Rulke
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Group Theory Cult Leader Greeter Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TurtleSoup on Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:59 am

As of tomorrow I am in ridiculous hours every day due to tech week starting on the show, so I'm likely to be absent for the next two weeks. I'll continue to check in everyday but I'm not likely to get time to post should everything start up during my absence.

But I shall return and I'm still really looking forward to every starting up. =]
Million to one chances, crop up nine times out of ten.

The thing about stories is that you have to pick the ones that last.

If all the world's a stage, then the techies must be gods!

TurtleSoup
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Uncertainly on Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:09 pm

Noted.

You'll probably be okay even if you're gone for that long. We don't know when we're starting, and when we ARE starting, we're starting with the Salient. The funeral.
And judging by our general posting rate from the end of the last chapter, that could take another two weeks...

Uncertainly
Member for 12 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Baneling Squishy on Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:29 pm

Right, well, I meant to be here sooner, but I had almost forgot the most dreadful part of the year: Holliday shopping.

Save me!

But, I should have my characters up today/tomorrow. Weekend at latest (though this is unlikely).

Also, I will accept any present ideas for children of both genders.

Oh, and just a question: How many Fighters do we have left? I doubt all of the (non-player) fighters survived, unless we have an incredibly low amount of fighters because all of them are players.

Mr. Baneling Squishy
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:36 pm

*Eyes the choice for the space-superiority fighter in the Tech thread*

.... That is a -phenomenal- ammount of wasted space and poor structural design. Even for a Scifi ship. That's like... Gundam levels of unecessary.

That being said, it's your RP, but I'd like permission to keep Hyena in the Rapier. I spent time last RP establishing it as the go-to all-around fighter, and I love its big, dirty engines and slim target profile. Maybe the Rapier is the Tomcat to the Spectre's Super Hornet? A hang-on warhorse that, while still relavent, just doesnt have RnD's 'Look! shiney new toy!' aspects. Your call, but that Spectre is ... I want to say MiG-21 ugly, but even the Fishbed has that beast beat. XD

Ships left, eh?

Lets see. *gets calculation hat on*

We know the Salient had at least 2 -types- of craft aboard her from the PC characters: Gunboats and Fighters. We can assume she also has a Shuttle type for rescue/cargo/personnel transport.

Standard squadron numbers are around 12 craft/200-400 people, and 3 squadrons of 12 craft each arent too big for a carrier-type ship. Shuttles wouldnt have that many, though, maybe 8 shuttles total, so we can use the remaining 4 and designate them as "miscelaneous" craft. Scout-interceptors, maybe. 12 x 3 = 36, so we start this mission with 36 craft organized into 3 squadrons, with 200 mechanics/pilots/support personnel each.

36 craft, 600 people to start.

The battle wasnt very long, despite the ammount of posting that went on, and I assume we had both superior training and superior tech/condition, allowing for at -least- a 6-to-1 kill ratio. I dont think we would've lost more than 5 fighters and 3 gunboats, Ray's among them. The shuttles wouldnt have been in combat.

Leaves us with 8 shuttles, 7 fighters, 9 gunboats, 3 interceptors, and a partridge in a pear tree. 27 ships reamining, with probably only 20 of those in a current "up an up" status. Not a bad fighter screen, and we can always take on more. I imagine we only lost pilots to the recent attack, no ground crew, so we're still packing 590 people in the Air Wing, assuming that the gunboats besides Rays are 2-man crew.

... Unless, of course, Vindicated has a different idea, because I just pulled all of those numbers right out of my ass. You can also replace 12 in a squadron with 8, because that's how many my P-3 squadron had, and there'd be anywhere from 1-4 of those bastards hard-down. We just shared planes with sister squadrons.

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby TurtleSoup on Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:55 pm

*Bows to the great power of mathematical genius that just happened.*

This is how they should teach maths in schools all around the world.

Sod Jimmy and his apples!

Calculate the remaining ships and personnel at the end of this battle. You may not use a calculator. You are allowed a calculation hat.

TurtleSoup
Member for 12 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:38 pm

Firstly, I decided to change the image of the Spectre. Secondly, it's the standard/generic Federation fighter, but that doesn't mean that certain pilots don't get to utilize personal designs. They just need to remember that their commanding officer...receives flak for this.

Third...you didn't pull those numbers out randomly...did you?

I'm comparing the F.S.S. Salient to a Nimitz-class aircraft carrier, which has an Air Wing complement of about 60-65 craft and roughly 2,500 personnel. Because what I had in mind, based on the size of the Salient, was 48 fighter craft, 14 dropship/shuttles, 20 gunships, and 15 interceptor craft per Air Wing. The Salient would have at least two to three Air Wings with 50 to 75 personnel per craft, excluding the pilots.

A standard squadron may have anywhere from 12-24 ships for combat craft, I think I will make the dropships an exception.

So based on the numbers above. An Air Wing will be headed by a Wing Commander and consist of:
Three Groups - Composed of two squadrons each, and headed by a Colonel.
    - 4 Fighter squadrons of 12 fighters each
    - 1 Gunship squadron of 20 gunships
    - 1 Interceptor squadron of 15 interceptors (I'm a bit shaky on this part, mainly because Air Superiority/Multi-role Fighters may overtake the role of interceptors.)
    - 1 final attached dropship squadron of 14 transports/dropships/shuttles and other miscellaneous craft such as utility vehicles

I'm open to suggestions on this.

As for the overall commander of the two to three Air Wings aboard the Salient would be a Brigadier general, but for our story, it will be the Admiral. Based on Part I, we'll assume that only Hyena's Air Wing was sent into action, which is why we "lost" the previous Wing Commander, thereby upgrading Hyena to that station.

Does that fly with you?

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years
Contributor Promethean Author Conversation Starter Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Beta Tester Greeter Visual Appeal Lifegiver Tipworthy Concierge

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:54 pm

I did. Completely random. Also, fly with me. hurhur. I c wut u did thar.

And I was lowballing. Because at the numbers you outline, there isnt a snowball's chance in hell that Hyena would ever be within a 10-mile stretch of becomming a wing commander. With a tiny composite wing staffed with fresh butterbar grads, her 8 years service would've made her the old man of the house. Not with that, though. Even assuming a single wing, that's still 97 spacecraft in one wing alone, with an easy 5,000 personnel between pilots and support personnel. If there isnt someone over a Lieutenant in that bunch, that's just all levels of pooch being screwed.

That's fine, though, I can still just be a stickjock.

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:21 pm

I see what you mean. The numbers have to be accurate, so we can't force Hyena to be a Wing Commander, but I think eight years of service could be enough to up you from a Lieutenant to a squadron leader/Lieutenant Colonel. You also realize that Hyena might be a special case, considering that she has some combat experience compared to the other pups, who are "fresh butterbar grads."

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:53 pm

Lieutenant Colonel is a Marines/Army/Airforce O-5. Navy rank would be a Commander. Just to clarify, because the Navy, we is special. :3

And even if we skip O-1 entirely because she's so badass that she's Chuck Norris with knockers, that'd still leave her O-2, Lieutenant Junior Grade. Best she could get - assuming that the Admiral leans heavily on a squadron CO that already likes her - would probably be Flight Leader, with 3 or so aircraft beneath her.

I'd be cool with that. Maybe any fighter PC's could be in her wing. I dont want to stretch the fabric of reality so far that the threads start showing. Since she would have already attended an Officer Candidate School before hitting Flight School, I could edit her character sheet and say she's already an Ensign or LTJG, leaving her to be pomoted maximum to a full grade Lieutenant, O-3. But Ive never seen a CO less than O-4, Lieutenant Commander. Even then, they usually pick up O-5 Commander when they actually get their squadron CO billet.

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:25 pm

Uh yeah...I decided to go by Air Force ranks for fighter pilots, because their ranks are a bit more tuned to fighter pilots. You guys are quite a complicated bunch, flying planes...for a ship. I'm sorry...I meant...space planes.

o_o

Hyena will have to prove herself if she wants a skip promotion...just sayin'.

;)

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby DustAndEchoes on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:29 pm

I know, that's the point I was trying to make that it's pretty much impossible at this stage for her to take any kind of command. Which leaves us back at square one as far as a leader goes, unless I alter the character.

And I'd like to point out we've got more planes than the Air Force. And we're far more badass about it. I mean, look at a carrier. It's a postage stamp-sized deck, heaving in the ocean, and we land on it. No bigs. XD

DustAndEchoes
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby VindicatedPurpose on Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:53 pm

There will be no inter-branch rivalries in the OOC on my clock. >=\

Keep it IC.

VindicatedPurpose
Member for 13 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!