Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Opinions...?

a topic in Main Lobby, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderator: Ambassadors

The general community forum — the Main Lobby is where announcements can be made, games can be played, and stories you can trade!

Opinions...?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaoticsunrise on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:37 am

On Names! [:

Which is best?

Miraiti Tekajene Aislinn Reindl?
Miranda Maitaislinn Tekajene Reindl?
Miraislinn Maiti Tekajene Reindl?
Miranda Maislinn Tekajene Reindl?
Miraislinn Maitekajene Reindl?
Mirandalinn Maiti Tekajene Reindl?
♥UCTigerette♥
♥ImagineThat!♥
♥RaeRaeButterfly♥
♥Music♥
♥Lavender♥
♥Aika♥
♥Nezzera♥
♥Ariki♥
♥Adrianna♥
♥Tæfarós♥
Forces unseen p u l l i n g strings in your heart
Everyone wants to feel safe in the dark.

♥OriginalSix♥

ClickHereIfYouWannaGiveMeLove;;

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

chaoticsunrise
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Conversationalist Lifegiver

Re: Opinions...?

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Smokescreen on Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:48 am

Wow. I'm not even sure what I just read, I sure know I can't un-read it. The names all look so needlessly complicated, coming at you brandishing consonants like a shiv just hoping you take the time to sound them out and then when you are trying to work that word stew around in your mouth. STAB! I don't know. Maybe shorten them a tad. Tekajene sounds like a Korean medicine to prevent one's bowels from being intemperate. Miraiti is cute, nice and flows well. Maitekajene...whoo boy. Um...I'd say Miraiti Tekajene Aislinn Reindl, not to say it's best just less offensive to process. Hope this helps! Be lucky!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Smokescreen
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Donated! Completionist Contributor Greeter Concierge Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaoticsunrise on Sun Jun 13, 2010 8:25 pm

I like complicated names. They seem so much better than quick easy names because they really make an impression on people. And, I think I am right, seeing as you "can't un-read" it.

I'm not quite sure if I should thank you for helping, or be offended... I think I'm just gonna say thanks. [:

And, I like that one too.. Just trying to pick one.. Hmm.

chaoticsunrise
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby UnderINK on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:47 am

That's complicated to the point I quit reading the name after the second word. I don't even want to try to sit and pronounce it. I vote none of them.

The first one if you REALLY have to use one of them, but ugh.
•civilization begins with order, grows with liberty and dies with chaos

My Roleplays
Without Absolution- a civilization on the brink of destruction

UnderINK
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Prose on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:50 am

I have to agree with UnderInk. You should go back and look at smaller and more simple suggestions. The less the reader has to think about the name of your character and the more naturally fluid it comes to mind, the easier it is for them to associate them with the actions of your characters, and well... remember that character as well.

Just be simple.
(16:12:43) Prose says: Izzy does anything she can get her hands on.
(16:12:54) Namaru says: My god Xorn and Prose you guys totally did a bunch of crazy things, I'm sure
(16:12:54) Prose says: Coke, meth, heroine, crack, pot.
(16:13:06) Prose says: Oh that was really bad timing.

Prose
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Lifegiver Visual Appeal Beta Tester Bug Hunter Cult Leader

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Raya on Mon Jun 14, 2010 12:59 am

I'm sorry, but I have to agree with everyone else. They're just far too busy, and I think the impression they leave is not the one you're looking for. If I had to pick, I would say go with the first one but drop the Tekajene. I have nothing against four names in principle (my kids both have two middle names), but when every name is multi-syllabic AND filled with vowels AND consonants AND unique AND merging several names into one, it's really just too much, IMO.

Raya
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:17 pm

I also agree. I'd read some articles on naming conventions from the language/culture whose names you are trying to emulate, in addition to perhaps considering that you have put so much work into this one character that she (he?) has begun to take on almost mythical importance for you?
​“Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing.”
― Arundhati Roy

“The only way to survive is to take care of each other.”
― Grace Lee Boggs

“every day is another chance to practice living out the values that matter most to us. to be our best selves. to be the legacy we want to leave.”
― Mia Mingus

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaoticsunrise on Wed Jun 16, 2010 3:51 am

Yea.. The character in question is quite important.
But, then again, all my characters have an importance to me. I see them as real people. I get in touch with their emotions and feel things throughout the role plays I help write..
I see that no one seems to like the names though... so.. >_>;;

chaoticsunrise
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Ylanne on Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:00 pm

There is a fine line to draw between being emotionally connected to your characters - if you didn't, I'd say you were a heartless writer, and my own writing is character-driven, so this is a good thing - and becoming almost, for lack of a better word, obsessed with any one or another character. This can morph into a sort of "Mary Sue" quality when it goes too far, when the writer completely identifies with one of his/her own characters and almost lives/fantasizes him/herself through this character - this is called a self-insertion, or sometimes, an idealized self-insertion. But note the operative word here: can. Does not mean it always is, necessarily, but that this is a danger one can run into.

Ylanne
Groundskeeper
Groundskeeper
Member for 16 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Greeter Arc Warden Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Storyteller Beta Tester Builder Cult Leader Concierge Tipworthy Donated! Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby RaeRaeButterfly on Sat Jun 19, 2010 9:27 pm

I'd say the first one! And I hate to disagree with people but..I'm going too have too. You don't have to say it out loud unless you want to, and they are prety names, But I diddn't come onto this thread and comment to fight. But good names, Linn :)

RaeRaeButterfly
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaoticsunrise on Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:21 pm

I've decided on one....

Mirandalinn Maiti Tekajene Reindl.

chaoticsunrise
Member for 15 years

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!