Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Pokemon: Breaking the Chains

Pokemon: Breaking the Chains

a part of “Pokemon: Breaking the Chains”, a fictional universe by ClockworkTowers.

A prophecy speaks of heroes who stopped a most sinister plot created by one man. The heroes banded together to stop this man once they found out his schemes...this is their story...

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “Pokemon: Breaking the Chains”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: [OOC] Pokemon: Breaking the Chains

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brantley92 on Thu Jan 06, 2011 6:02 pm

Ok so no EVs for Junior Trainers. Do we as the Gymleaders get an EV spread and if so how much?
I have no beginning, I have no end...
So you're a circle?!

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Brantley92
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Thu Jan 06, 2011 8:16 pm

Gym Leaders totally get the ability to allocate EVs to their monsters, as do the Elite Four and Champion. A quick rundown:

-Each monster can have a total of 510 points "invested" between their six stats.
-A stat can only have a maximum investment of 255 points.
-Every monster that gains experience points from defeating a Pokemon also gains that monster's EV reward.
-Protein, Calcium, etc. automatically grants 10 EVs to a stat if the stat currently has less than 100 EVs in it. Otherwise, you'll get the message "it won't have any effect."

PM me with any further questions.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Fri Jan 07, 2011 4:11 pm

Bump because I've been bugged about this: That, and I'm anticipating questions about what Pokemon give what from the heroes that wish to EV train.

EV awards are available in chart form from this page, as well as an explanation of how to raise and lower them. Happy hunting.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years
Beta Tester Promethean Conversation Starter Author World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Builder Donated! Party Starter Contributor Person of Interest Bug Hunter Streamwatcher Maiden Voyager Recruiter Greeter Visual Appeal Tipworthy Property Buyer Salesman Concierge Arc Warden Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brantley92 on Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:08 pm

Hey, ummm no offense to anyone, but the two that are about to battle my character's question was directed to them and it seems i'm being ignored.

Brantley92
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xXxZetsuxXx on Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:47 am

Lack of Posting on the Heroes behalf is scaring me... where are you guys?

xXxZetsuxXx
Member for 14 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:09 pm

Well, Zetsu, think about it this way: You have six people, each of which operate on different timetables, and one of us has to be on when they are to run all their fights so they can be strong enough to progress in the story. This is exactly as hard as it sounds. <<

This, and we're still writing out the script for events to come. Seriously, guys, if you're reading this, get some grinding done on Route 1 so we can actually get something going. We already lost PK for three weeks.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Jan 10, 2011 12:23 am

Also, because this forum moves so damn fast:

Encounter lists are in the location descriptions, and EXP tables can be found on Bulbapedia until BB can post up a full list. We've worked way too hard for this to fail now.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brantley92 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:26 am

I do believe that we have worked hard for this, but mostly you (QB) and BB seem to have worked the hardest. The only way this RP can fail is the way many RPs fail: we lose our characters. So all that are seeing please do something about and add more fuel to the RP please.

Brantley92
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xXxZetsuxXx on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:05 am

I realise that qb, but what annoys me is that they could all be more up to date with the posting, right now three of them are in the first city which is good, one is still stuck in the town after getting his starter and hasn't posted or progressed further, whether that be from being busy from work/school/uni/college or whatever. And a few are still on the first route.. but though you say they need you there to reply and make most of the encounters, they don't seem to be doing anything or posting anything to trigger those encounters (Unless you are battling random encounters off screen and are , most of our people are currently idle, so heroes get posting!, i don't believe this roleplay will die, the amount of effort and time that has being put into it, makes it an attractive roleplay to flock to, so if we, pray not, have some drop outs or serious idlers then we can recruit new roleplayers, it is still early days anyway.

Though i'm sure everyone is just busy at the moment.

xXxZetsuxXx
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Music on Mon Jan 10, 2011 8:59 pm

For the record, Pie's been very busy with her school work, and I've been hogging the computer a bit. She'll probably get better about posting when I'm not taking up her computer time constantly. So, next week.

Also, since she's having problems logging in, I'll post a little something from her here.

'MericanPie wrote:Should I have Eva go back to Route 1 and do a bunch of training, or stay in the city? I thought I was supposed to catch up to the others, but now I feel like I should have trained my Pokemon more. >.>

There's that. And, you guys are doing a great job! Even if it falls through this time, there will always be Pokemon fans out there to recruit as new trainers. :)

Music
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brantley92 on Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:47 pm

If I have to I would be more than happy to take over a trainer ;)

Brantley92
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Mon Jan 10, 2011 11:01 pm

Oh, definitely have Eva go back and grind in the grasses if you want. If you go to Places -> Route 1 in the tab for this RP, you'll find a more extensive take on what Pokemon and Trainers can be found there (isn't someone still duking it out with the Bidoof trainer?). EV awards can be looked up on Bulbapedia or PokemonDB, and we're working on getting an experience table up for you guys.

Hang in there. Nobody said becoming a Pokemon Master would come easily or quickly. :)

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LionLeaves on Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:39 am

Can my character be accepted?

LionLeaves
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby xXxZetsuxXx on Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:38 am

In the newer pokemon games, instead of having just one Rival there seems to be two. I'm not entirely sure because i do not posess them, (Old school, Pokemon Yellow player :D !)
but i like that concept and not to change anything in the plot line and if you don't want to change it, by all means keep it as it is, but i've been dieing to create a trainer character and seeing as it is 6 heroes to 1 rival (Unless you have something planned) then i would love to make another rival character, (or you could give that role to someone else who does not already have a character in this roleplay).

If not, then thats fine, but another question. How do the random encounters work? I've seen in the places tab that the percentage of certain pokemon encounters is shown, but will those be determined by you? or by themselves properly by chance?

xXxZetsuxXx
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Jan 11, 2011 2:20 pm

Random encounters are simple enough. The way BB's been doing it is he flips a coin to see if you get an encounter, and if you do, he then rolls a die to see what monster it is. You then play it out as normal with battle damage and whatnot.

As for catching a monster: The catch rate of a monster is posted on info-dump sites like Bulbapedia and PokemonDB, and how catching works is that the RNG makes four successive checks to see if it stays in the ball. If all four pass, then the monster is caught. I'll work on getting the catch rate formula to you guys.

Edit: Found it. Instead of dumping more info like I did with the damage and stat calculations, I'll just link you guys:
http://www.smogon.com/ingame/guides/capture_mechanics
It's important to keep in mind that the actual formula used is MUCH more complex and the given formula merely gives good approximations. Still, it's good enough for our needs. Catch rates are in table form at the bottom of the article.

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LionLeaves on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:03 pm

You seem to have ignore me.

LionLeaves
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:32 pm

LionLeaves: This is for one of two possible reasons:

1) Your character doesn't conform to the rules in that he can only use monsters in the regional Pokedex.
2) We're closed to new signups for the moment.

By all means, though, stick around. A spot just might open up.

Edit: Also, located some quick and dirty formulas that will say how much Experience a Pokemon needs to reach a given level. This starts with the Pokemon following one of six tracks, and formulas have been found for all but the slowest and fastest. With x being the level, here goes. (You all took algebra, right?)

Fast (max 800K): 0.8x^3
Medium-Fast (max 1M): x^3
Medium-Slow (max 1059860): 1.2x^3 - 15x^2 + 100x - 140
Slow (max 1.25M): 1.25x^3

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby 13lazer31 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 4:33 pm

@Lion Leaves: don't take it personally the same thing happened to me.

@QB: If a spot needs filling PM me an i'll be happy to fill it
O o
/¯/__________________________________________ _\
| IMMA FIREN MAH LAZAH, BLARRRRRRGGGHH!
\_\¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯¯ ¯/

13lazer31
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Brantley92 on Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:05 pm

I think we are scaring away everyone with our algebra :P.

Brantley92
Member for 14 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby LawOfTheLand on Fri Jan 14, 2011 2:34 am

Everyone, the English names for all the Pokemon in the Unova Dex have been released, and BB just busted his ass editing the whole first post accordingly. Aside from editing your monster lists accordingly, I think we owe him a round of applause!

LawOfTheLand
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 16 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!