Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

Star Wars VS Lord Of The Rings

a topic in Discussion & Debate, a part of the RPG forum.

Moderators: dealing with it, Ambassadors

Talk about philosophy, politics, news & current events, or any other subject you're interested in!

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Caille on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:19 pm

Alright well I just recently had some form of a fight with my friend. Her and I were fighting over which was better. Lord Of The Rings or Star Wars. She kept saying Star Wars was the bomb and that you should like it and watch it all the time. While she was saying these things I cut in with a comment. "I fell asleep during it...It couldn't have been that great." I still stick to my words on that.

Why I am bringing this up is because I want to know your opinions on this. I personally am for Lord Of The Rings. I can't stand anything Sci-fi and I fell asleep during Star Wars and that was not even half way through the first one. Where as Lord Of The Rings I watched all three movies like three times.

So place your votes people!

Star Wars: 3Lord Of The Rings: 2
Last edited by Caille on Thu Jan 13, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Caille
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Greeter World Builder Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Person of Interest Giver

Re: Star Wars VS Lord Of The Rings

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jeffrey! on Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 pm

Star Wars. You can never dissuade me from it. If Star Wars where a person, I would go wherever necessary for a legal marriage. Because, while Star Wars could be a guy, one can never be sure.
"Cowards die many times before their deaths, the valiant never taste of death but once."

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Jeffrey!
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Completionist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:08 am

A fiction where the awesome force wielding monks with laser swords get owned by guys with guns in canon?

Star wars for me, if only for the universe, not the movies.
Circ wrote:When I first joined RolePlayGateway, it was a place where positive conflict fostered creativity and friendships were formed rather than cliques. Honesty and transparency were valued, new people were incorporated into the community rather than judged based on what style of writing they preferred, and despite the youthfulness and zeal of the population there prevailed a reasonable degree of common sense.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Vexar on Thu Jan 13, 2011 11:18 am

Considering it is two genres completely. It's wrong to even compare them to each other.

Most of the time you are either sci-fi or fantasy.

Star Wars is what made movies advance. LotR did about the same technology wise.

In all reality, they are equals in their own genres.

My vote is split on both.

Vexar
Member for 17 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Contributor Person of Interest Beta Tester Tipworthy Streamwatcher Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Drake Nightwing on Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:48 pm

Vexar wrote:Considering it is two genres completely. It's wrong to even compare them to each other.

Most of the time you are either sci-fi or fantasy.

Star Wars is what made movies advance. LotR did about the same technology wise.

In all reality, they are equals in their own genres.

My vote is split on both.

Ditto, though I refuse to even give a vote on this subject because since I find this discussion completely pointless. They are two completely different movies in completely different settings. Both of them were the products of two very well known, very successful creators in two very much unique genres that couldn't be any more divergent.

Trying to argue which of the two is better is like trying to argue whether pizza or ice cream is better. Everyone has their own opinion on what they like. So you don't like sci-fi. That's perfectly fine. To each their own. *shrug* That's my opinion on the matter.

Drake Nightwing
Member for 15 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby CriminalMinds on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Is it bad that I can say that I've seen neither therefore I can't vote? When I tried to watch them I got bored and fell asleep =/

CriminalMinds
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Arc Warden Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby one-wing on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:44 pm

LOTR :p
Why is it called a broken heart if every part of you is hurting?

one-wing
Member for 14 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Sheoul on Fri Jan 21, 2011 6:33 pm

Star Wars had the strongest cultural impact.

Lord of the rings is just a typical high-fantasy story that some people enjoyed. :P

Star Wars wins hands down. Nothing in LOTR can hold their own against Dark Vader.

Sheoul
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klause on Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:56 am

I vote for Lord of the Rings. Why? Simple...It is the bible for fantasy.

Star Wars...True it is a good universe, but in my eyes it is far from as good as Warhammer 40'000.
Could use some members for this RP, a fantasy, strategy RP.

Klause
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Caille on Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:05 am

CriminalMinds wrote:Is it bad that I can say that I've seen neither therefore I can't vote? When I tried to watch them I got bored and fell asleep =/

Well in all honesty I watched LOTR all the way through except this little last scene in the last movie. As for Star Wars just last summer I tried to watch it but I ended up falling asleep on my friends couch :P

Caille
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Completionist Visual Appeal Greeter World Builder Concierge Tipworthy Lifegiver Person of Interest Person of Interest Giver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Gasmask on Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:48 am

Both are great.

Deal with it.
[left]Image[left]
Tiko says:
I still wanna punch him in the face
Mid says: Gas 1, Mid 0.

Gasmask
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Party Starter Person of Interest Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Klause on Thu Jan 27, 2011 4:55 am

Well, we do have preferences.

Klause
Member for 13 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Cap on Mon Jan 31, 2011 6:53 am

Absolutely, just like the other guys said, they are different genres and it would be shallow and unbalanced to give them an almost arbitrary rating drawn from generic, biased whims of the subjective moment.

That said, Star Wars all the way.

Cap
Member for 13 years
Author Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Patcharoo on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:56 am

Klause wrote:Star Wars...True it is a good universe, but in my eyes it is far from as good as Warhammer 40'000.

Firstly this, then

Gasmask wrote:Both are great.

Deal with it.

Patcharoo
Legend
Legend
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Novelist Donated! Millionaire Arc Warden Beta Tester Contributor Group Theory Person of Interest Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:27 pm

If you're going to judge the impact of the two series by the ability of viewers to stay awake, this is a strike against Lord of the Rings. I fell asleep in all three movies.

Star Wars here hands down.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby XavierDantius32 on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:48 pm

I am going to start a whole new [s]argument[s/] discussion.

The star wars movies are iconic sci-fi films, but they have made very little lasting contribution to a genre that was built on great literature. You cannont compare Geoge Lucas with writers like Asimov, and Arthur C Clarke.

The complete oposite can be said for LOTR (the books) They have defined the high-fantasy genre. From the characterist "evil" orc, present in some guise in most fantasy games. From Warhammer to Dragon age, to the aloof, graceful and debonair elf.

LOTR gets my vote, but only because the books are so utterly amazing, and they will be remembered longer than Star Wars.

XavierDantius32
Member for 14 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Arc Warden Party Starter Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jag on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:06 pm

I couldn't disagree with you more.

I can respect that LOTR apparently gave birth to the entire genre and everything that came after it, but I found the books to be incredibly boring and written in such a way that forcing myself to finish them out of the sheer will not to quit tried my very soul. When a book takes around one hundred pages to get out of a boring and mundane description of the Shire that really added nothing to the overall narrative, connection to the characters, or deeper understanding of the world in a meaningful way, I tend to lose interest. The same goes for the very end of the third book in a needless epilogue that dragged on far too long.

Star Wars broke so many molds in film that it remade the way that film was done at the time. It breathed life into a stagnant industry and jumped lightyears (pun intended) ahead of what visual effects had been prior to this point. It was tremendous and changed the medium with massive effect.

While I'm not discounting the effect and long-lasting progeny of LOTR, I'm simply pointing out that it would be unwise to disregard the same effects provided by Star Wars.

Jag
Member for 15 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Greeter Party Starter Contributor Concierge Tipworthy Person of Interest Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Neonemerld on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:05 pm

I suppose if it's a question of Star Wars vs the Lord of the Rings, I'd have to go with Star Wars. I found it more enjoyable. However, if we're talking whether I prefer Sci-Fi or Fantasy, I'll watch a fantasy movie over a sci-fi movie any day. So I suppose my vote would be... Star Wars.

Neonemerld
Member for 13 years
Promethean Author Inspiration Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Caille on Mon Jan 31, 2011 7:18 pm

Well thinking about what all of you have said, I find that taking in votes isn't really worth it. Most of you have pointed out that they are two completely different genres and it's really rather on what the individual prefers. I personally prefer fantasy over the Sci-Fi genre, I've always have hated Sci-Fi.

Although I must say some of the comments about the movies(and/or books) Is quite interesting and entertaining. I have not yet to read the books and nor will I probably ever.

Caille
Member for 15 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby pauleaston.uk on Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:04 pm

The comparison can ever be fair between Lord of the Rings and the new Star Wars prequels. One of the thrills of Two Towers is that, as one of the millions being exposed to the story for the first time, everything feels so new and fresh.

pauleaston.uk
Member for 13 years

Next

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!