Announcements: Cutting Costs (2024) » January 2024 Copyfraud Attack » Finding Universes to Join (and making yours more visible!) » Guide To Universes On RPG » Member Shoutout Thread » Starter Locations & Prompts for Newcomers » RPG Chat — the official app » Frequently Asked Questions » Suggestions & Requests: THE MASTER THREAD »

Latest Discussions: Adapa Adapa's for adapa » To the Rich Men North of Richmond » Shake Senora » Good Morning RPG! » Ramblings of a Madman: American History Unkempt » Site Revitalization » Map Making Resources » Lost Poetry » Wishes » Ring of Invisibility » Seeking Roleplayer for Rumple/Mr. Gold from Once Upon a Time » Some political parody for these trying times » What dinosaur are you? » So, I have an Etsy » Train Poetry I » Joker » D&D Alignment Chart: How To Get A Theorem Named After You » Dungeon23 : Creative Challenge » Returning User - Is it dead? » Twelve Days of Christmas »

Players Wanted: Long-term fantasy roleplay partners wanted » Serious Anime Crossover Roleplay (semi-literate) » Looking for a long term partner! » JoJo or Mha roleplay » Seeking long-term rp partners for MxM » [MxF] Ruining Beauty / Beauty x Bastard » Minecraft Rp Help Wanted » CALL FOR WITNESSES: The Public v Zosimos » Social Immortal: A Vampire Only Soiree [The Multiverse] » XENOMORPH EDM TOUR Feat. Synthe Gridd: Get Your Tickets! » Aishna: Tower of Desire » Looking for fellow RPGers/Characters » looking for a RP partner (ABO/BL) » Looking for a long term roleplay partner » Explore the World of Boruto with Our Roleplaying Group on FB » More Jedi, Sith, and Imperials needed! » Role-player's Wanted » OSR Armchair Warrior looking for Kin » Friday the 13th Fun, Anyone? » Writers Wanted! »

The Catalysts

The Catalysts - Main discussion/Role requisition

a part of “The Catalysts”, a fictional universe by Mr. Inkwell.

A recent scientific breakthrough found the ability to give certain people astonishing powers. The use of these powers have been either to heal or destroy, which will you be?

Characters Settings Story
This conversation is an Out Of Character (OOC) part of the roleplay, “The Catalysts”.
Discussions pertaining to roleplay on RPG.

Re: The Catalysts - Main discussion/Role requisition

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Weilacca on Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:26 pm

Just to give a pointer, I only showed Eve's actions in my latest post as I'm waiting on Oborosen to reply to James. It's fine in my eyes though, kind of like two things happening at the same time which will quickly turn together. Just need some words spoken between the two before James reacts to Eve's call.
If anything has gone wrong in any posts so far (as in my assumptions weren't that good) just let me know. I don't want to irritate anyone or mess up.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Weilacca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:34 pm

Yes, I apologize for that. I meant to post near on an hour ago, but my sister dropped her kids off with me some time back and I am not going to log on with the three of them hounding me.

Tip jar: the author of this post has received 0.00 INK in return for their work.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Weilacca on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:09 pm

Nah that's fine, take all the time you need. Gives me more time to think as I hate posting too late.
I'm happy things are staying civil here, and I hope things stay that way.

Weilacca
Member for 11 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Donated! Completionist Arc Warden Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:38 pm

Civil in the RP or in the OOC?
"My situation is not my choice, but the outcome will be. . ."

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby HeroBlast on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:45 pm

Probably the OOC.

I think the RP is going well so far! The only thing I had to do was change where Vanessa was.

So Vanessa's going to meet Lucielle soon, will those two see each other as the components of a rose?

HeroBlast
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Friendly Beginnings Greeter Arc Warden Tipworthy Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:59 pm

Oh, I had a few questions. I don't want to come off as rude or anything. I just want an honest answer for my curiosity.

Why do people highlight Thier speech in color? I've never seen that elsewhere.

Also, why do a few people post in present tense? As a rule, when Rp-ing I try and post in 3rd person limited.

Again, not trying to point people out, or be rude, just curious is all.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jorxio on Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:31 pm

I've never really put a lot of thought into it. I highlight speech in color for two reasons. First, so that it stands out from the rest, because it's special, and for the illusion of personality. Having speech be a certain color makes it feel like it stands out more. I noticed someone else using a seperate font when speaking too. That stuff aside...

It just...feels right. Feels...personal. Looks nice.

Anybody else with me on that?

As for perspective, I like third person too. Don't even know the reason...except for, it feels right in writing.

It all feels right...that's my answer.

Jorxio
Member for 9 years
Author Conversationalist Lifegiver

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:23 pm

The same yes, I post using color for my characters speech because it personalizes the words to that character and when the time comes to quote from another character, I will usually use underline or italic.

Perspective wise, I think the third person is the best for stories, especially because it seems to match up with other players and it allows me to explain more from that characters own surrounding, without disrupting perspective. When I write biographical, then yes I use a more relative perspective.

I just like third person, because I can cover more imagery from that surrounding visual and not just from what the character perceives.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration World Builder Conversationalist Novelist Completionist Tipworthy Friendly Beginnings Lifegiver Visual Appeal

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby chaotix14 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 5:10 am

Personally I use colored text for speech so it's easily identifiable, pops out from the rest and makes it a lot easier to see who said what(this only being the case when you have multiple character speak in one post). Makes it a lot easier to write and react to what others say, especially in conversation heavy parts.
It also helps as reference points in posts similar to paragraphs, if you know character X did something you need to react to or take in account just prior or just after he said something in one of the latter paragraphs, it's a lot easier to find when speech pops out like that with color. While this isn't something you'll run into when reacting to one or two other characters(because you'll probably still remember almost the entire post), when that number cranks up to five or six 300+ words posts, it can really help.
Then there's also the tiny added benefit of personalizing the words, but I've begun doing it because I noticed the functional benefits from working with others who colored speech. Sometimes when I don't feel like it'd be useful I'll just completely leave the coloring out, like in the first post of mine.

Personally I try to use past tense and use a lot of 3rd person, so if I write something in first person or present tense it'd most likely be just a screw-up from my side.
Death came to town.

chaotix14
Contributor
Contributor
Member for 11 years
Conversation Starter Author Conversationalist Donated! Contributor Lifegiver Tipworthy Novelist

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Oborosen on Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:30 am

I have to be out of the house for most of the day everyone, so if you post something with Craven, I am just letting you all know about it right now.

Oborosen
Member for 13 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Weilacca on Sat Sep 05, 2015 11:19 am

I don't post in colour simply because I can't remember the code to do it. That and I don't see any difference, I don't really mind. I also agree that writing in 3rd person is the best way to get, and it does get a bit irritating when people write in present tense.

Weilacca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Sun Sep 06, 2015 12:10 am

I'll be gone tomorrow. I'll catch up on my posts in a bit, but not tomorrow. Sorry.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Sun Sep 06, 2015 7:14 pm

Just got back on. Site was acting weird last night. I'll try and post ASAP.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Mon Sep 07, 2015 1:43 am

Finally posted. Site was acting strange the whole time, had to restart several times. Apologies for anything rubbish.

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Weilacca on Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:43 pm

Holy shit I didn't realize I wrote such a large post. Even though it's just a conversation. Oh well. This is all I could think about for now. I guess to keep in time with others, I'll make my next post once everyone's met the next day.

Weilacca
Member for 11 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:17 pm

IT TOOK THREE MILLION TRIES, BUT I DID IT! I REPLIED TO THE ROLE PLAY! I AM VICTORY! I AM STRENGTH! I AM A GOD!!!!!

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Mr. Inkwell on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:19 pm

*cough*

Sorry about that. It's okay, I'm cool again. I just really needed to get that out of my system...

I'm back to my cool, demonic, dead self.

Almost had a pulse there...

Mr. Inkwell
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jorxio on Wed Sep 09, 2015 11:48 pm

Dude...I know that feel.

Tried to post, site hiccuped, lost my post.

Almost strangled an orphan with his own dead parents...but I didn't.

We overcame the odds. We are immortal.

Jorxio
Member for 9 years

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby mjolnir on Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:14 am

Hate to be the person to say it... but you know if the website stops working when you go to submit a post and like an "error" page pops up after clicking submit. You can go back to the previous page and all the shit you typed should be in the box still.

It's happened to me a few times, so I just go back a page and it's still in the box so I just copy it all and post it into a word document until it's working again.

But I think you need to be on a computer for that to work... and idk if it's just a Mac thing or not lol don't take me to the bank on it.
Image Image
Image Image

mjolnir
Designer
Member for 9 years
Promethean Conversation Starter Author Inspiration Conversationalist Novelist Person of Interest Friendly Beginnings Recruiter Visual Appeal Streamwatcher World Builder Tipworthy Greeter Lifegiver Group Theory Giver Arc Warden

Tips: 0.00 INK Postby Jorxio on Thu Sep 10, 2015 1:26 am

I tried that and it didn't work. I can either chalk this up as a mobile problem, or the site has a problem with me, and should say it to my face instead of being a dirt bag.

Jorxio
Member for 9 years

PreviousNext

Post a reply

Make a Donation

$

RPG relies exclusively on user donations to support the platform.

Donors earn the "Contributor" achievement and are permanently recognized in the credits. Consider donating today!